Roleplay

There are 160 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by |TSH| ***Tribbs***.

• Which suggestion is more appealing to you ? 7

The result is only visible to the participants.

(Merged content) Please carefully read the options below before voting.

I've reread all of the posts since the hate talk started, and there are actually only 5 proposed changes to the current Arena rule set.

Also, it's unfair to slam OP for not magically fixing our problem as long as we are not 100% ready to break this problem into pieces and come up with the best outcome for all players - both those who want to just PVP and those who want to RP.

So, allow me to exert my uh... secretary skills, and put up the list with the proposed solutions so far.

We are morally obliged (if I used the word "forced", YLIYAN would have killed my crack dealer) to:

• Understand the consequences of these suggestions
    • Debate further
    • Eventually come up with more suggestions
    • Vote

NOTES:

- I'll update this post as suggestions / modifications will be posted.

- In all honesty and objectivity... Disco does not offer PVP only system(s), and it's RP would not solve our current problem. Like OP mentioned, it evolved around the universe their player base have constructed in time with their RP - just like this mod was created based on how the CF player base evolved over the past 10+ years. I really don't see a problem with CF's role play guidelines other than the Arena topic.

1. Keep the current rule set

Arena, Coloseum and The Hive

These are event systems and are not part of the role-playing universe. Players can use these systems for training, testing ship configurations and taking part in events. Players should not use these systems to avoid RP or protect stores ships. Players within these systems (eligible to RP) must leave if another player wishes to RP with them. The player must exit in a timely fashion though not necessarily through the nearest exit.

2. Allow RP in Arena/Colosseum/The Hive while still not allowing Out Of Role Play attacks anywhere else.

Quote from (IOC)Wanderer

It seems to me that this small change should not cause any new problems. "Players can use these systems for training, testing ship configurations and taking part in events" would still stay true for any training and testing that involves OoRP fights. Protection of events is already covered by another paragraph ("During events") in the rules.

The positive effect of this change would be to prevent questions like those Lancelot and Iliyan were asking. It can also make life simpler for Arena dwellers, for other players seeking RP with them, and for GRs who receive complaints from both.

3. Add AFK timer in Arena

Quote from Michael Webber

Add Afk timer in Arena to kick after 1h and fix the problem atleast partially?

4. Let Arena an PVP and Event only system

Below is a summary from multiple posts from YLIYAN (@YLIYAN please correct me if I am wrong about this or I am missing something):

• Let Arena to be PVP and event only system.
    • Players in Arena are out of role-play for as long as they stay there - this means that they are not eligible for placing bounties on them.
    • Players seeking refuge in Arena to avoid RP situations are breaking the rules, therefore are subject to being reported.

5. Disable placing bounties on players that do not have licenses equipped

Quote from Ajay

Okay. So far, I see that the sore point is people sitting in Arena, getting bounties placed on them and unwilling to leave Arena. Either because they were bountied for a reason or because they are only interested in PvP. I see two possible options:

1) Disable placing bounties on players that do not have licenses equipped. That way people who only want to stay in Arena (like Iliyan) can't be forced out by someone placing a bounty on them out of nowhere.

1.1) To stop people from carrying out an RP interaction then selling the license, disable dismounting the license within a set time limit after the last RP interaction (taxed, fined, evaded tax/fine, placed/collected a bounty, purchased BMG).

2) Only allow placing bounties on people that have carried out an RP interaction within a set time limit (don't we have an RP time limit of 2 hours?..). Again, if people only want to PvP, they won't be forced out by a bounty if they haven't done any RP.

6. Paid entrance to Arena/Colosseum/The Hive systems outside events

The mechanics are simple:

1. Deduct an amount of credits from each player that docks with the gates of Arena/Colosseum/The Hive systems - let's say 5,000,000 credits.
    2. This amount would be deducted daily (once every 24 hours) from the player's bank until the player leaves the system.
      • If the player does not have enough credits for this, then move player to planet Crossfire in X system.
      • If the player paid entrance, logs off after several hours and does not log back in for X days, don't deduct anything from his bank until the player logs back in the game with that char.

Obviously, this can be abused by players to avoid RP situations - eg: avoiding a merc that wants to collect a bounty, running away from a police / pirate to avoid being taxed/fined, etc... BUT because the player pays the fee to enter these systems, the loss is on his side too.

I have a good news and a bad news for you. The good news is that there is no bad news.

Edited 9 times, last by LancelotOnCrack ().

• :confused: I was not going to way in on this subject but is getting out of hand. Players with mixed reactions always get of topic. One thing always puzzles me. Why do players feel the need to come on here and continously want to compare it with discovery. Like all mods, they have there own different idea,s of the game. Simply if thats possible. If they like discovery so much then stay there and enjoy.Players here in crossfire enjoy it and thats why we are here. Why come here and bitch because we are not doing the same. we are not interested. But the need to threaten creator or staff or players is definately not needed. Its also of humour they keep saying there leaving as the mod won,t bow to there demands nor should it. well leave. How hard is that. Arena has two options. shut it all together or make it like the rest of the systems open season. Again all mods have rules/guidelines for a better term. again don,t like it don,t come here. As for certain players saying the people are demanding change. Well i,m not seeing where its the right to demand anything. Strange they are saying the people, when all i see is a couple of trouble makers, as always. Out to cause trouble and the poeple/players seem not to share your views by making it in the top ten. Thats where people are putting there majority views. For the record. There is majority that appreciates the work done in creating this mod called crossfire. Thats why were here everyday. Remember you trouble makers are the MINORITY not the MAJORITY. Sorry Op i got of topic too. If they don,t like it don,t come. Were not interested in your non constructive criticism.:00000436:

• What are these "smallest things"?

The things that were mentioned like 9 months ago... well, some of them, there are usually always more.
    "He who is trustworthy in what is least, is trustworthy also in much."

Why come here and bitch because we are not doing the same. we are not interested.

Why come here? Do you even know who you are talking to? We've been here since the very beginning.

But the need to threaten creator or staff or players is definately not needed.

Threatening? Do you even know the meaning of the word "threat"?

Remember you trouble makers are the MINORITY not the MAJORITY.

Ass-licker, remember... the day you understand the difference between Whining & Proposing / Defending their Right, then you can talk to me.

You wonder why people want changes? -> They don't do RP because they are bored, a system that is not constantly improved and renewed will lose it's success, thus why so many people left, the game being old is not the main reason for it.

But seriously, do what you want, really... it's your right after all, don't listen to us.

- Goodbye... for real this time, after all there are still hours away from the account being automatically deleted.

• Why come here? Do you even know who you are talking to? We've been here since the very beginning.

Firstly, i am well aware off who you are and entitled to the respect of a long time player.

Ass-licker, remember... the day you understand the difference between Whining & Proposing / Defending their Right, then you can talk to me.

Also a long time player with a different aspect of this subject and a respect to all who play here and appreciate all the hard work by its Creator and a Team seems to be the wrong word a??licker. All have the right to express there rights. However in my understanding to the crossfire mod is its creator has the only RIGHTS to what direction it goes. And we as players can submit suggestions when asked. There has been a lot of suggestions, and one brilliant was put forward by Lancerlotcrack.Thats the way to try and work out an outcome. One thing do,s come to mind is why all this heavy misdirected statements on a topic that has resurfaced for another disscussion. Remember that chinese proverb. If you don,t succeed try try again. Thats in the book beside the dictionary where you could look up the meaning of threats. or refer to your previous posts as reference.

- Goodbye... for real this time, after all there are still hours away from the account being automatically deleted.

Out of all your soapbox statements, is the only one that has truth and action. Its called practice what you preach. Ohh thats in the chinese book too, and yes still beside that dictionary. But good luck in your future endevours. :thankyou: Lets hope we can now get back to the subject and continue to work it out.

2. Allow RP in Arena/Colosseum/The Hive while still not allowing Out Of Role Play attacks anywhere else.

2526-07ccb1a836f194a8bdefae92c64927314d530aaf.png

Quote from (IOC)Wanderer

It seems to me that this small change should not cause any new problems. "Players can use these systems for training, testing ship configurations and taking part in events" would still stay true for any training and testing that involves OoRP fights. Protection of events is already covered by another paragraph ("During events") in the rules.

The positive effect of this change would be to prevent questions like those Lancelot and Iliyan were asking. It can also make life simpler for Arena dwellers, for other players seeking RP with them, and for GRs who receive complaints from both.

Problem which I see here is, that police or pirates licensed chars will be in Arena always target. Pirate can for example wait for time when already dueling officer will be damaged, and then shot him down with tax applied right before attack (and opposite way). The same can be applied for bounty hunting. Or pirate/officer can be shot down while he is flying in Arena to planet prior event (to be there on time) and attacker will state that Event did not started yet. Allowing RP in Arena can easily be misused, and if I learned something from MP playing, then IF something can be misused, then it will be misused in any MP game I know.

Arena was already changed to support existing rules and player can leave from there to different systems (note: ideal would be to open one new route from adjacent systems outside of X area). If player do not want leave (it can be also read like: he do not want be bothered) Arena for RP purposes, then is here good question if he really want to RP (play a role) at all.

Imo allowing RP in Arena is really bad idea, and this also from GR pov.

What can be seen as problem is placing bounty on players in Arena, imo this is what can be discussed.

• OK, some ideas which however also needs some CF_Hook changes ( Huor )

1. Disabling possibility set bounty for player in Arena (and here I mean also Hive and Coloseum systems). This system is in current rules OORP, so in theory there should be not ok placing bounties since it is part of server RP
    2. Disabling possibility use tax/fine and get bounty while in Arena (Hive, Coloseum) ... is possible make licenses not working in these places?
    3. AFK chars will be auto-kicked after set time (I suggest 15-30 minutes) no matter where they are. ... like there really is no fun to try find "target" which moved/s up/down on the plane and is watching netflix in meantime
    4. For support RP: is possible track fines/taxes/bounties via hook and bring these into ladder here on portal?
    5. For support RP: is possible use above mentioned ladder for monthly competition with some form of rewards?
    6. For support acivity (clan lvl): is possible set minimum commodities needed to keep bases intact per given time period? ... with disabling modules if demands are not meet? ... there is not need to bring anything to clan bases when they are once finished and clan members have enough of clan items. This, if possible, can change it. Trading imo is starting point for any decent server RP.
    7. Factions (NPCs): and this topic can be "little" controversial: increase influence gains/losses for players actions vs NPCs for make use of natural freelancer factions environment.
    8. make bigger use from smuggling: either by increasing income, or make them needed for clan bases maintenance ( :D I clearly can see some complains from police side here, but personally I can live with this eventhough I spent most of my time at CF server as police officer ;) ) ... this part may be only for smugglers due limitations for buy these things, but some of smuggled goods do not require license ... use it!
    9. .... tba
  • Ill hold back on expressing my opinion about old players and their entitlements. It would be a waste of time.

Time that Id rather spend working and talking with people which have something constructive to contribute.

The suggestions and feedback from the so called "asslickers" (clearly a word I would not want to use) have seen significantly more useful than all the other disrespectful crap I had to read on this thread.

I think that people which want changes can get changes done... not by complaining or by blaming but by constructive work and support.

To expect that I solve all your problems and grant every wish is ridiculous... especially when you are not willing to do your part to contribute to the effort.

I am always willing to listen, I am always willing to take care of suggestions but I am not here to fulfill any demands, especially from disrespectful people.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• LancelotOnCrack

I voted "Let Arena an PVP and Event only system"

Arena should remain an no-RP system, BUT there should be a few extra rules:
    - You can not put a bounty on anyone who is currently in Arena.

- You can not put a bounty on anyone while you are in Arena.

- Players with a bounty on their head will not be allowed to jump into Arena. I'm sure the server can check this and give them Access Denied.

This ensures that there are never people in Arena with bounties on their head, which some people expressed concern about. Personally I don't mind getting a bounty on my head collected in Arena, and most mercs I meet in Arena are polite about it and will do a fair duel about it.

However, It makes no sense to randomly place a bounty on another player who is in another sector of the universe.

Placing bounties should not be limited by having a license or not, but there should definitely be a limit, like the target being in the same system, or having recently (5-10 minutes) killed you, or done RP with you (like paid fine/tax)

I also like the suggestions by Martind Forlon except the AFK kicking everywhere. Please only do that in New York and Arena. I like to park my battleships at repair buoys in Inner Core for repairs and that usually takes longer (fair game for anyone who finds them of course)

Edited once, last by Apache ().

• battleships it would be cool if there were different weapons you could fit on them and shields so they could do different roles like vhf can

so you could take on fighters and gunboats

have like shorter range guns with rapid fire so you could take on fighters would that be possible so you have a mix long range guns and short range for better defence now that would be cool

• OK, some ideas which however also needs some CF_Hook changes ( Huor )

1. Disabling possibility set bounty for player in Arena (and here I mean also Hive and Coloseum systems). This system is in current rules OORP, so in theory there should be not ok placing bounties since it is part of server RP
    2. Disabling possibility use tax/fine and get bounty while in Arena (Hive, Coloseum) ... is possible make licenses not working in these places?

Implemented both, but not yet tested. Can be activated seperately.

1. AFK chars will be auto-kicked after set time (I suggest 15-30 minutes) no matter where they are. ... like there really is no fun to try find "target" which moved/s up/down on the plane and is watching netflix in meantime

Hm, thats hardly feasible with hooking alone. Just imagine someone flies around and has no interaction, cause travelling just takes time. I can try to find something - but the timer setting probably the easiest to find a proper value.

1. For support RP: is possible track fines/taxes/bounties via hook and bring these into ladder here on portal?
    2. For support RP: is possible use above mentioned ladder for monthly competition with some form of rewards?

That should be possible. Question would be what special rewards that could be?

1. For support acivity (clan lvl): is possible set minimum commodities needed to keep bases intact per given time period? ... with disabling modules if demands are not meet? ... there is not need to bring anything to clan bases when they are once finished and clan members have enough of clan items. This, if possible, can change it. Trading imo is starting point for any decent server RP.

The base offers a possibility rusting and getting older with the time being. Also it could consume crew members and ressources to keep it active. All features which havent been used, yet.

1. Factions (NPCs): and this topic can be "little" controversial: increase influence gains/losses for players actions vs NPCs for make use of natural freelancer factions environment.
    2. make bigger use from smuggling: either by increasing income, or make them needed for clan bases maintenance ( :D I clearly can see some complains from police side here, but personally I can live with this eventhough I spent most of my time at CF server as police officer ;) ) ... this part may be only for smugglers due limitations for buy these things, but some of smuggled goods do not require license ... use it!
    3. .... tba

Not so sure about this, Faction or bribing with all its dependencies isnt the easiest task. It should be well balanced, otherwise players could be frustrated or the system itself has no effect. Smuggling could only have an effect for the base when commodities which are consumed or needed to repair the rust can be purchased by smugglers - but that system might only work well if there are enough players / smugglers who could contribute.

signature.png

• Hm, thats hardly feasible with hooking alone. Just imagine someone flies around and has no interaction, cause travelling just takes time. I can try to find something - but the timer setting probably the easiest to find a proper value.

hmm, it's right there are some long routes, especially in Altair. On the other side 1 hour iddle may work. ... But it was just idea, if hard to implement or too much possible issues related to it, then better abandon it :)

The base offers a possibility rusting and getting older with the time being. Also it could consume crew members and ressources to keep it active. All features which havent been used, yet.

this really sounds interesting. Can be maybe this put as separate topic and explain what abilities can be implemenetd etc, so active players can ask etc.

• BattleShips can get Upgrades they need to be Located in Doom Space

They are hard to Find but are Available for free to be Looted

some Pilots can Read the Code in the Mod files & Therefore Know the Locations

of these things . So they can Park a ship & wait for the Server 2 Reset or Crash & then they take them again

Then they are Sold to We Who cannot read the Code in the Mod files ! Booooo!

Pilots that Cannot Read the Code in the Files go Looking only 2 find that They are Gone ! Booooo!

Once they have been looted by One pilot again & again they cannot be Taken by any other Pilot Until

the Server Resets or Crashes

We are not all Code Breakers!

:salutes Fools Rush In Where Angels Fear To Tread :patsch: :salutes
    :salutes A Fool and Their Credits are Easily Parted :D
    :salutes Softly, Softly, Catchy Freelancer :P :salutes
    :salutes SMILE :) It Breaks up the Time Between Disasters :thumbsup:
    :salutes I can Only Please one Person Per Day.Today is Not Your Day And Tomorrow does Not Look Good Either :thumbdown: :salutes

• Quote from Huor

this really sounds interesting. Can be maybe this put as separate topic and explain what abilities can be implemenetd etc, so active players can ask etc.

This could be the answer for one of the proposed solutions to the clan systems and bases problem.

As for the global AFK kicker...

I also like the suggestions by Martind Forlon except the AFK kicking everywhere. Please only do that in New York and Arena. I like to park my battleships at repair buoys in Inner Core for repairs and that usually takes longer (fair game for anyone who finds them of course)

I agree with Apache. However, maybe the AFK kick can happen on all other areas except the repair buoys ?

I have a good news and a bad news for you. The good news is that there is no bad news.

Edited 3 times, last by LancelotOnCrack ().

• A'right, the topics in this thread start to multiply, and this is good, but keeping track of all of them in the same thread usually leads to stuff being omitted.

So, I would like to conclude the Arena/The Hive/Colosseum so we have one less to worry about.

Seems that most votes so far are on (Option #4) Let Arena an PVP and Event only system.

Further discussions suggested that this option is better when complemented by (Option #3) Add AFK timer in Arena AND by some CF hook modifications that prevent placing bounties on players in these systems.

These changes are basically described as follows:

1. These systems are PVP and event systems only.
    2. Players in Arena/The Hive/Colosseum are out of role-play for as long as they stay there
    3. Players cannot tax/fine or set bounties on players that are in these systems.
    4. Players seeking refuge in these systems to avoid RP situations are breaking the rule, and this action can lead to the being reported.
      • I don't think there is an automated way to prevent all scenarios.
        • The hook can restrict (I think) access to the systems for players with a bounty/tax/fine on their head -> some scenarios are solved.
        • The hook cannot restrict access to a player that is being chased (with or without knowing it) by another player with the intent of taxing/fining/collecting bounty/collecting a contract.

@Admin/Mod team: if you agree with the development on this topic, can you share your (final) thoughts) on it ? If help is needed for testing Huor 's modifications on the hook, I can help.

• It generally looks ok to me... dunno if possible (huor will have to say that)

I think you guys have put a good amount of thought into it and you are best to decide which method is best here. Afterall you have the first hand experience.

Id like to use this change to hijack this thread for an idea.

Not a new idea but maybe a old one worth to revive.

We are discussing clans and clan systems on the other thread and I consider clans crucial for starting action and keeping action running (roleplay related or non-roleplay related).

When releasing CF 2.0 years ago we had the plan to release a server side feature called the conquest system which would have allowed clans to extend their territory beyond the borders of their clan system. Lets face it... clans need more to do than just building their clan station and it also would spice up the situation if plans try to claim control over the same system.

The conquest system eventually was cancled due to the complicated implementation which involved the creation of complicated server side tools aswell as the fact that the normal roleplay was working after the cf2.0 release and we did not need an overcomplicated new mechanic anymore.

What if we simplify the original idea and allow clans to claim more systems. If a system is claimed and the clan manages to fulfill certain criteria the control over that system is transfered to the clan in the following month. Every month only x-amount of systems can be claimed.

Every controlled system would allow RP benefits to the clan. e.g. a pirate who taxes another player in a (own) controlled gets a bonus of 20% from the local government.

Clans of course would be able to lose control again under certain conditions.

Pirates/Cops would see an increase of profit if they actively control their territories. Mercs get a bonus on their contracts if they kill the target in their territory. Smugglers would see an increase in profit range for BMGs in their territory... (just some ideas).

Putting effort in increasing the territories would eventually pay out for the members of clans.

This is just a rough and tough idea that would potentinally benefit clans and roleplay aswell.

Maybe I am totally off the rails with this idea.

Maybe you might think it will change nothing.

Maybe Huor tells me that it is too much effort.

dunno

But i think it is at least worth to discuss.

In my eyes it is pointless to think about stuff that works on other servers out there which actually have a totally different structure and different features.

We instead need something that fits to CF.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I somehow missed all the fuss from the last weeks :)
    The problem is not CF itself, the problem is that CF lost the critical mass on players.
    There's not much you can do, any change you make will just serve some 20 players left but not attract new ones.
    Maybe it's time to face the fact that FL is just old and people move on, I mean you don't play your music on a cassette player anymore, do you?

• counter argument:

this is even older and people still love it today

t1.jpg?w=545&h=545

and before you ask... i have a working player for it

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• guenni7

• StarCraft BW -> Remastered.
      • This game still has it's own e-sport competition and even though it's main-streaming in South Korea, during the past 2 years the international interest for this game has grown (almost) exponentially.

• Age of Empires 2 - HD / Remastered
      • The e-sport scene is not developed as in SC-BW's case, but there are still international competitions with nice prizes and loads of community love for it.
    • Diablo 2 LOD
      • Numerous mods out there that either improved the game based on players' demands or completely created a new world in it (eg: Annihilus, Median, Path of Diablo).
      • Community made D2 remastered - aka "Project Diablo 2" - has a lot of interest from both old and new players.

• Half-Life
      • Community remakes on newer engines. Eg: Black Mesa <- this gets a lot of love on Steam.

These are a few of the titles that come to mind in regards to their longevity and community/developer support.

To my mind, when it comes down to Freelancer (a game which according to many players has revolutionized the space-sim genre), it's all about three things:

1. Find out the needs of the current FL player-base.
    2. Find out what could be the appeal for getting new players in the game.
    3. Advertise the hell out of it.

Sounds simple, but it's not.

So, guenni7, if Freelancer servers would have an increased player-base, what else would be considered an incentive for you to play this game ?

Edited once, last by LancelotOnCrack ().