Roleplay

There are 160 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by |TSH| ***Tribbs***.

• The small problem (as my comment to discussion about staying in Arena all day long) which I see here is: ... "I, I just want to ..." ... however any other common player may want only "trading goods from point A to B" when is shot down by either police officer or taxed/shot down by pirate anytime they want or are in mood to.

The rules are in place for a reason. If anyone start finding excuses why they should not apply to him, and rules are not enforced thereafter, then it will lead only to someone will leave the server. On the one side it can be PvPer which "only" want to shooting someone else in relaxing atmosphere of Arena, on the second side it can be common player wanting relaxing evening spent in his Soulforge train.

What if I have no clue that I am being chased as my pursuer, for obvious reasons, doesn't state his/hers intention.

All I know is that someone placed a bounty on my ass. In this I must avoid Arena and postpone my mood for PVP till either expires or someone tries to claim it ?

If you are not hunted to your knowledge, you may go to Arena of course. In that case, the person chasing you will need to send you

some nice mother related compliments over the com, expressing RP intentions

:) and then you must exit Arena, return the compliments and be free again.

Things get complicated if I am a known criminal or a police officer.

By camping Arena I am denying the other players that carry opposite license than mine from exerting their role.

No, you are not. As per the elder scroll you quoted next, anyone can ask you to go out for a moment. RP interaction is usually just a single dogfight, so you will be free in no time and won't be disturbed by the same player for 1 hour at least.

But, what if I just want to PVP all day ?

If I am a known pirate (*cough* ThanhRui *cough*) chances are that I will be denied this activity quite often. The same goes if I am an asshole cop and every pirate wants me dead, but they can't while I'm in there.

There are two points which make this situation less of a problem, to my mind:

1. If you are a famous pirate/cop, it is a consequence of your own choice and actions, and so is the frequent RP engagement. If you don't like it, blame yourself (not the rules) for becoming so popular :) and pick another role.

2. RP requests do not interfere with the intention to PvP all day, they give you extra opportunities to fight outside Arena. If you just want to PvP, that looks like exactly what you need.

P.S. I may not fully understand cops', pirates' and PvP-addicts' point of view. The above is just how I interpret the rules and the logic behind them.

• However, in case some random player decides to place a bounty on someone that means that he/she is forced to avoid the Arena? Or if someone is already in the Arena and a random player puts a bounty on him/her he's/she's now forced to leave the system?

It is a "no" to both questions. Only when a merc comes for your bounty and informs you of his intention, then you are not allowed to be in Arena until this is settled.

• It is a "no" to both questions. Only when a merc comes for your bounty and informs you of his intention, then you are not allowed to be in Arena until this is settled.

You can be in arena until such time as another player asks to RP with you, when that happens you must leave arena in a timely fashion.

Once RP is settled then you are free to return.

And... what if I refuse, for example? Let's just say that some random player sets me a bounty and then another one asks me to leave so he/she can try and take it? What if I refuse?

And no, this doesn't mean that I want to hide, he/she is more than welcome to come to me if that person is so eager to fight me, no need to place me a bounty in the first place.

But don't you see how this thing can be abused? I realize that we must draw the line somewhere, but this just isn't it. The reason why the RP is almost non-existent outside of the Arena is because it's not what it used to be, thus why we are hanging out in there. You take away that too and then you can be sure that you'll drive other people away from the server for good.

on the second side it can be common player wanting relaxing evening spent in his Soulforge train.

Soulforge? Dude, the times of the Soulforge train are long gone.

• And... what if I refuse, for example?

You cannot refuse. If this sounds like a violation of your freedom, think about it from the merc's perspective... You are a merc. You come online, see a bounty, go for it, and then the target says "I refuse". :hmmm:

And no, this doesn't mean that I want to hide, he/she is more than welcome to come to me if that person is so eager to fight me, no need to place me a bounty in the first place.

Normally the person who collects the bounty is completely unrelated to the person who placed it, he just comes for the credits.

Soulforge? Dude, the times of the Soulforge train are long gone.

Not for everyone, mind you. ;)

The rule about Arena has been there for last 10 years, if I remember right. Nobody is "taking away" your way of playing... I don't know which GR fined or kicked ThanhRUI just for sitting in Arena (guess this could happen if he was also AFK for hours), but hope this is all in the past now.

• You cannot refuse. If this sounds like a violation of your freedom, think about it from the merc's perspective... You are a merc. You come online, see a bounty, go for it, and then the target says "I refuse". :hmmm:

It is a violation of my freedom. If I happen to have a bounty and I am in the Arena, he/she is more than welcome to come and claim it, it'd be just outside of RP (because I happen to be in the Arena). I've had countless of bounties and mercs did claim it in the Arena but it wasn't considered RP, I don't know why now all of a sudden has become a problem.

This was exactly the answer that I expected anyway, so now I know which decision to make. Thank you for your honesty, Wanderer.

The rule about Arena has been there for last 10 years, if I remember right. Nobody is "taking away" your way of playing...

And yet, I have never been banned or kicked out of the Arena for that matter, it just wasn't considered RP. ;)

• your freedom ends where the server rules start... end of debate

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• That's where you're wrong, OP. Freedom can be taken away, that's true... but the only one who has any authority over mine is the Creator.

As for the server rule regarding the Arena, you can be pretty sure that I am as guilty as the mercs who came to take the bounty, because I refused to leave. And you can be pretty sure that I won't leave the system again just because some merc wants me out, like imagine a pirate asking someone who's in the Arena to come out so he/she can tax that person.

The reason why I'm in the Arena is quite obvious -> I'm there to fight because that's what I love in Freelancer -> PvP.

I totally agree that the rules are meant to be followed and the one who's created this place is the one who sets up the rules and has the last say, however... regarding the rule of the Arena, I'm sorry but I refuse to follow that one, because I will not be forced and the choice to either remain there or leave the system is up to me.

And since that will lead to a permanent ban -> Just go right ahead.

• This debate is completely unnecessary. Rules breaking (repeated) is for GRs to be solved. If someone break rules, and is punished by GR, he can bring it to Op ... his decision is final. It's so simple process.

• you have a strange view on freedom Iliyan

a very one sided view

What about my freedom to enforce the server rules? It is one click and you cant do anything against it.

Your freedom ends where the server rules start... period!

Instead of talking about freedom and rights you should think about which freedom and rights of other people it would violate and which duties and obligations exist in order to ensure the coexistence of EVERYONES interests.

That is how society works and that is why your freedom and rights is meaningless when it conflicts with the rights of other people.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• On the contrary, a person is free to make a choice regardless of the consequences, that's the freedom that's been given to us, we are not like robots, programmed to do specific actions, but are free to make a choice regardless of what consequences that might bring.

What about my freedom to enforce the server rules? It is one click and you cant do anything against it.

I already stated that:

I totally agree that the rules are meant to be followed and the one who's created this place is the one who sets up the rules and has the last say

And this wasn't about me (or anybody else) running towards the Arena or New York to avoid RP, or someone entering those systems and demanding someone to pay a tax or fine (depending on the RP), but IF someone is ALREADY in these systems and someone decides that person to leave, and now he/she can't refuse? What does that sound like to you? -> Taking away his/her choice.

I'll always be free to make a choice, regardless of the consequences and since the consequences for that is a ban -> I'll take it, because the only place that I found joy in CF after the destruction of RP is the Arena (hence why I am always there) where I can blow off some steam and now this is also to be taken away?

Well, this is the last straw, dude.

• Martind Forlon , SWAT_OP-R8R If such discussions keep arising and going nowhere, obviously something is not right.

A merc/pirate/cop who wants to RP with a person in Arena must ask them to go out (according to the rules, though nowhere stated explicitly). However, if the target doesn't want to go out, the merc/pirate/cop can equally well do his job in Arena, and both sides will be happy. Generally, it makes little sense to move between systems just because of the difference between RP and OoRP fights. To people who like to have a bit of both, this separation may seem artificial and not easy to live with.

Suggestion: allow RP in Arena/Colosseum/Hive (while still not allowing OoRP attacks anywhere else).

It seems to me that this small change should not cause any new problems. "Players can use these systems for training, testing ship configurations and taking part in events" would still stay true for any training and testing that involves OoRP fights. Protection of events is already covered by another paragraph ("During events") in the rules.

The positive effect of this change would be to prevent questions like those Lancelot and Iliyan were asking. It can also make life simpler for Arena dwellers, for other players seeking RP with them, and for GRs who receive complaints from both.

Hope I haven't missed anything and this idea is worth considering.

• We disallowed RP for good reasons in these systems.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Heheheh

So Let Us

Discard all the Rules !

Let Us Not Enforce the Rules ?

Let

ANARCHY REIGN ????????

:salutes Fools Rush In Where Angels Fear To Tread :patsch: :salutes
    :salutes A Fool and Their Credits are Easily Parted :D
    :salutes Softly, Softly, Catchy Freelancer :P :salutes
    :salutes SMILE :) It Breaks up the Time Between Disasters :thumbsup:
    :salutes I can Only Please one Person Per Day.Today is Not Your Day And Tomorrow does Not Look Good Either :thumbdown: :salutes

• I wonder if this has not got of the subject. Like anything in game, right from the start. They are the guidelines set by the mods creator for reasons. We all have followed those while playing. some fully understand the rules and those who choose not to. This leads usually to one outcome. To my belief, if players wish to argue about freedom, then straight out. No one is forced to enter the game. I,m honestly not sure why the word freedom is coming in to the subject considering it a game for enjoyment and fun. like all games, which have guidelines.:/

• Wanderer,

It's a good idea, but my issue wasn't that RP should be allowed there, but the fact that I must be "forced" to leave if some stranger wants RP. If he/she asks me politely, sure, I may leave and engage in RP, but being FORCED to leave the system? No one can force me to do something, hence my comment about "every person is free to make his/her own choice". And in case I refuse, I face the ban or the kick? Well, that's the issue I'm having with this.

However, that's just me and you don't have to agree with what I've said, let alone OP; but my account will be closed on 4th of November if that doesn't change.

- Anyway, I'm out of this conversation. I've said everything I needed, so thank you for listening me out.

• simple solution

I'll delete the system

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Why are discussions for roleplay always end the same way? The server rules are there for a reason. If players tend to ignore them for whatever reason then they have to live wth the consequences.

There are speed limits on most of the streets here in Europe. They are there for a reason. Do you also always ask if they violate someones freedom? No you don't. You obey them or you get punished if you don't and get caught and have to suffer the consequences. These needless and endless discussions all the time sucks.

Its about roleplay on a game server - not about who's feeling is hurt and whatnot in reality. If you dont want to play a role - fine. Then its probably not the best time to hang around on the game server where people are used to interact with each other (I call that playing). Then its better joining discord or the portal here or any other circle of forums where you can talk and discuss with people willed to listen :) :)

signature.png