Battleships

There are 35 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by LordRaydenMK.

• Battleships are useless solo, but extremely powerful in fleets.

The power of BBs increase exponentially for every ship that is supporting it, imagine a wall of flak gunfire against 1-2 VHF who need to

1: Aim torps
    2: Dodge fire from the next 3 ships
    3: Evade the fighter screen
    4: At the same time :p
    If you want to do solo play, I reckon Cruisers are better since you can dod

• :offtopic:

... I accept that CF 2.0 is primarily a single player mod and not really a serious contender to a top rated freelancer multiplayer experience. ...

... sure, then ... If so, I only wonder a bit, why is Crossfire server still active for so many years ^^ ... and 2nd most played Freelancer mod (MP) in last year ...

• CF is in first place a MP mod... the singleplayer is only something we decided to add
    based on the last 12 months the CF server was one of the most active ones (position 2 to be exact)
    this shows how big the FL community still is... its dying and opening new CF servers out there would only seperate the very few remaining players
    it makes no sense of having 10 new CF servers where only 1-2 players are playing
    CF player amounts in the evening hours usually are +20 (sometimes + 30)

CF2.0 is a beta mod... this means it is still in development
    most of the online features are not even active yet and the mod is also not running 100% stable yet
    thats what we are working on
    once everything is running as intended we expect this server to be the top one in FL

connection issues and high pings are usually something that can be fixed by your isp
    I had massive connection problems in a different game lately and got them solved by using a proxy which was routing the date through different gateways

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Rather, why compare grapes and tomato, why be a prick to the makers of this mod?

If you are going to throw a tantrum just because capital ships do not handle the same as Discovery's...... They both offer a different experience, just enjoy what you have :)

• <p>Wonder how well will the Elder work against you &nbsp;:p</p>

<p>4 class 10 guns I think, 2 torps, and 1 &quot;main gun&quot; if the wiki is right &nbsp;:p</p>

i can answer this one just traded my elder in, is armed as you just said. forward gun is just that directly forward so anything a threat is repelled by only 4x 10 guns and the 2 torps. i found the ship to be sluggish in manouvering, but was definatly destructive if dead in front. will not handle vhf attacks in mass just like b/s and so on. i like to test all different ships out of interest. :)

• Such a good read of all the comments, thanks all for contributing to my thread.

I have spent a long time considering the answers given above, comparing apples with oranges etc.

This thread was about the battleship.
    Why no bats or bots for the battleship?
    If you have very long range VHF weaponry why not have the BS weapon range increased to counter this?

Why no shields for specific weapon types? I was informed that it was impossible to have shields for specific weapon types for battleships due to code restrictions, I know now this is untrue and have evidence to prove it can be done.

Freelancer is a epic game and should be of epic proportions. Having played Crossfire 2.0 and discovery 4.8x, i wish the two could combine to make one special freelancer. Imagine a game that is owned by the community for the community and not controlled and restricted by one entity

• in respect to weapon range the b/s has the same range as the vhf on some of the turrents it,s the rate of fire thats different.

• Battleships are in 2.0 with different turrets types really deadly, IF used properly.

It looks to me @Chron1c like a trolling attempt, bcs it seems obvious that you not have any real experience with BS/DN in CF 2.0 mod. ... Strong shield, terrible amount of hull (which can be easily doubled), different turrets (most of them have significantly longer fire distance as all you can put on vhf) with devastating damage and/or short fire-rate and torps ... there is absolutelly no reason to make them even stronger.

p.s. not mentioning a fact that you would need rly huge amount of bats/bots to have them usable which in final effect will made flying BSs very very difficult due inertia/weight settings balance.

• no Martin, he is just comparing CF with Disco, where BS/DN are really much more powerful (more firepower, more hull, more shield). but compared with CF they have incredible weak fighters in Disco with really bad armament. i think Disco is made for lovers of big ships. they even move much better than our cap-ships here. but, Disco lacks one feature we have: inertia. ok, other features too. so, whoever loves the big ships maybe should go to Disco.

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

Dark Phoenix Clan introduction: link
    Sigma 17 Rules: link
    DP Recruiting Office: link

Events, Eventmanagers: link
    Event Rules: link

• One thing that many always forget is: Freelancer was not made to have player controlable battleships. All that is available is what the engine allows us to do. We decided to create the BS and their control the way we have it now. Others can set different control behaviours. All has its advantages and disadvantages. And within the given limits of the engine everyone is free to decide how to define the behaviour.

signature.png

• 1. There are no bots/bats for battleships for the fact that one repair consumes hundreds of them and for the fact that battleships are strong enough. We dont want to have battleships in this mod which instantly can repair... thats what shipyards were build for.
    2. Battleship weapons already have higher ranges than fighter weapons. There is no reason to increase this any further. If we do, we would break the balance between BS and fighters.
    3. You have evidence? Please show it and I prove you wrong. The Freelancer game engine has a hardcoded limitation on weapon types and shield types. All weapon and shield types that were available are already in use in CF. Unless we get hands on the Freelancer source code this limitation can not be broken.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Kusari turrets are very powerful for the fact it has two barrels. And the range I get is over 2k

It's all about experience. Flying in turret view and maneuvering your ship is possible. Map the numpad is what I did and I hunt big NPCs (Cerebus and Midnight Hammers) just fine until their friends show up and I get overwhelmed

Practice practice practice! I didn't get as good as I am without it. Intimidation factor is nothing without the skills to back it. It's like saying you went to a kung fu class once and can fight Rhonda Rousey and win

On a side note, Rhonda Rousey is hot and I'd let her beat me up anyday