Roleplay

There are 160 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by |TSH| ***Tribbs***.

• WHICH CHANGES?

You blame me for being stubborn, you blame me for not listening but you are not even able to tell me what you want.

This is meanwhile the 4th time I am asking you.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• - Roleplay.

TAKE DISCOVERY AS AN EXAMPLE!

easy and simple. Go undercover if you want, but that's the gold mine.
    you might even like it there while playing it.

"Hacking is like sex. You get in, you get out, and hope that you didn't leave something that can be traced back to you."

• You mean that cancerous RP that people constantly complain about?

Lets ask the other players here.

Do you want the discovery roleplay on CF?

(I btw. would want to point out that the RP rules we have would fully support exactly the RP done on discovery. There is no limitation in the rules that would prevent a Discovery style RP on CF. I just state the facts.)

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Would mean one needs to know what RP on Disco is about, doesnt it? I at least have no idea.

I also dont get whats wrong. Lets close Arena, no players would blame us for doing so. Lets integrate tax/fine and bounties... ah players would blame that they are shot in on or another occasion. Maybe having the forum is wrong, players need to interact with each other than to quarrel about RP. Be like men, go to the field and duel each other...

signature.png

• Do you want the discovery roleplay on CF?

Yes, even better if could be improved upon what they already have.

But it'd be better to just go and play there if you ask me.

Let me use one of Webber's posts:

Mod:
    CF > Discovery

RP
    Discovery > CF

And the reason is simple: They keep adding and adding new stuff to it, improving it constantly. You gave the RP tools and just left it there, you even ignored the smallest things on which you could improved it.

I'm not blaming you for anything, but when people bitch about something, it's for a reason.

My reason for leaving CF for good was the Arena, not the RP. The Arena was the last straw because that system is very special for me and you have the nerve to kick me out of there just because someone wants RP?

WHAT ROLEPLAY? When the Roleplay is dead with barely 3 people active, 2 of whom are newbies.

Anyway, why should I care, my account gets deleted tomorrow. I could abort it, but I won't.

Goodbye, it's been a pleasure.

• Okay, normally I don't touch this topic with a ten astronomical unit long pole, especially when it gets this heated, but this has gone too far. There does seem to be a demand for changes... and that means there should be a demand for the constructive ideas of what should be changed.

Okay. So far, I see that the sore point is people sitting in Arena, getting bounties placed on them and unwilling to leave Arena. Either because they were bountied for a reason or because they are only interested in PvP. I see two possible options:

1) Disable placing bounties on players that do not have licenses equipped. That way people who only want to stay in Arena (like Iliyan) can't be forced out by someone placing a bounty on them out of nowhere.

1.1) To stop people from carrying out an RP interaction then selling the license, disable dismounting the license within a set time limit after the last RP interaction (taxed, fined, evaded tax/fine, placed/collected a bounty, purchased BMG).

2) Only allow placing bounties on people that have carried out an RP interaction within a set time limit (don't we have an RP time limit of 2 hours?..). Again, if people only want to PvP, they won't be forced out by a bounty if they haven't done any RP.

...just couldn't resist sharing this idea. Not as much of a change as a correction, but not as radical as axing the entire RP system and building a new one (either out of nowhere or jacking it from Discovery).

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

Edited once, last by Ajay ().

• Simply said Disco has faction based RP combined with the classic roles (pirates, cops etc).

The faction has control over a specific territory and can enforce its rules there.

Players always have to play their role, no matter what. Ppl have to chose a faction until they reach a certain lvl. Once chosen ppl have to keep a reputation similar to the faction. e.g. ppl with corsair base faction always have to be hostile to all police factions.

This is of course an oversimplified summary but it shows why it in my eyes never will work on CF.

This kind of RP requires to have a big server population by default. We don't have that and when we are about to talk about facts... Discovery is losing ~15-20% players each year (just like every other server out there) so it is just a matter of time until their RP will stop working.

2nd reason why I think that it will not work is the fact that people have to stick to their role. That is something I tell CF players to do for years meanwhile but it is what nobody wants to do. It fails already when people are asked to do RP and but refuse to leave Arena for that (Im just saying).

Arena btw. is not a PVP system... it is an Event system so unless you are hosting a server event you are not supposed to be in there at all.

Any PVP could happen as part of our RP... which actually is not much different from Discovery if people actually would play it the way it was meant to be (which apparently they dont do).

So tell me what am I supposed to do?

Copy/Paste the Discovery rules (which btw. are not much different from ours except for the faction part)?

Take every player by the hand and force every pirate to say "arrr" 24/7?

At this point I also would like to mention that the faction RP easily could have been covered on CF if clans ever had the ambition to do that. There is absolutely nothing in the rules that would have prevented that. Nothing that is possible on Discover is prevented by the CF rules.

You can go right to the server now and show us how Discovery style RP should work.

Best we test it under hardcore conditions of using the Coalition... you will have to match your reputation... which means that all other factions are hostile to you. I guess entering Sirius might turn out to be a true challenge. ( I am pointing this out because there are structural differences between CF and Discovery which would make a copy/paste of the rulesets very impractical; this are differences which can not simply be changed without completely destroying huge parts of CF)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• This kind of RP requires to have a big server population by default. We don't have that...

Of course, since mods and admins kick them for stupid reasons...

Arena btw. is not a PVP system... it is an Event system

In every possible game i know, arena IS PVP zone, if there were PvE elements, yeah.

The other stuff are chewing old discussed stuff, so yeah.. I'm too lazy to repeat myself

Also my time is too precious and i'm doing you even a favor replying to this topic.

Good luck :P

"Hacking is like sex. You get in, you get out, and hope that you didn't leave something that can be traced back to you."

• Why are the other people playing different games and are not in your server? Have you ever thought of that?

• Of course, since mods and admins kick them for stupid reasons...

Putting aside that I have not kicked anyone for ~10 years I doubt that following rules is a stupid reason especially with the background of getting people to stop avoiding RP.... based on this discussion seems to be the goal?

Or do I misunderstand something?

I think based on what you said not doing RP on CF is bad.... but telling somebody not to avoid RP is also bad?

Based on that it does not seem to matter what we do. It is wrong if there is no RP but if we tell ppl to do RP it is also wrong.

In every possible game i know, arena IS PVP zone, if there were PvE elements, yeah.

And who cares about what you know from other games? Crossfire is not like other games, we never wanted to be like other games. I created stuff that was different from what people knew and that made Crossfire good. Arena always was designed and meant to be an event system. That is how this system is classified and described. Since the very early days people did PVP in X-3043. The rules always stated that Arena, Coloseum and Hive are event systems and are not meant to hide from RP. Something which btw. should be a good rule if you want RP to be done. Debating against that is paradox. The only reason for these systems to be excluded from RP was to allow Event managers do their job.... not PVP, not anything else.

The people which created the rules were no idiots, they created rules where rules were needed in order to protect different aspects of the server gameplay.

Why are the other people playing different games and are not in your server? Have you ever thought of that?

Maybe because FL is a 18 years old game and right now there are more scifi space shooter games than ever before?

That is why hundreds of FL servers (based on pretty good mods) were closed. It speaks more of a success than a failure to still be there after 18 years.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• And the reason is simple: They keep adding and adding new stuff to it, improving it constantly. You gave the RP tools and just left it there, you even ignored the smallest things on which you could improved it.

What are these "smallest things"? I supposed it code wise and hook wise not word/rule-wise?

Isn't our mod also big enough, we have added tons of new things, created story content which is far beyond what every other mod includes. This mod is also not solely multi player but also has added stuff for single player. That requires work and time to do and should not be forgotten.

I still dont get it too. What is that big hurdle that players prevent from doing RP? What aspect of the rules does prevent RP?

signature.png

• What are these "smallest things"? I supposed it code wise and hook wise not word/rule-wise?

You know... that are such tiny things which eventually take weeks and months of development (they have not the slightest idea how much work it sometimes takes).

I was thinking about technical aspects of getting Discovery RP to CF when driving home from office.

We would have to have a ruleset about rep fixes on the server software based on ids/licenses which generally would be possible. We have such a feature but never used it because back when CF2.0 was released players explicitly did not want this to happen.

Structural differences could be a problem. We have 19 factions, 15 of them have isolated reputation settings which prevent any RP based on them. 71% of the new systems are based on these factions. Two possible solutions: get rid of all that content (including singleplayer) or create a rule which excludes these systems from a Discovery style RP (which probably would be exactly the same situation we currently have with Arena).

To be honest i did not think beyond this point since both solutions are a bummer.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• ... I still dont get it too. What is that big hurdle that players prevent from doing RP? What aspect of the rules does prevent RP?

Nothing in CF rules prevent RP, because RP means play a role. You can play Bretonian pirate, or Kussari cop ... dirty or hard, or Sirius smuggler or Coalition mercenary without any issues. Staying in Arena is not about RP, it is and it always was about doing PvP duels (ideally without any interruptions) for some players and this becomes more visible with less players on the server. Crossfire is/was (or offers) imo much more for exploration, PvE and playing a role without need to PvP all or most of play-time and without need to obey too many rules or face too many limitations. Imo this are the main reasons why is this mod the hardest hit (players leave) by some modern space games (like ED in my case).

• Adjusting reps and bribes isnt an issue. Imo our hook currently supports it, and if not then it should be no big deal to implement it.

If nothing in the rules prevent people from RP then its their mindset or imagination or joy to slip in a different role :=) It's a bit like carnival...

Also only allow to tax/fine/bounty other license holders isnt a big issue. That can be adjusted with the hooking/implementation. I'll have a bit time this weekend and could adjust this probably...

signature.png

• Also only allow to tax/fine/bounty other license holders isnt a big issue. That can be adjusted with the hooking/implementation. I'll have a bit time this weekend and could adjust this probably...

while it is no problem technically, it certainly will be used to avoid RP.... which actually is not what we want.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• If I had 1 Credit for all The Bitchin that has Gone On I would be a Damn Rich Fellow

For F**** Sake Guys/Gals

Get Over It !!!

Lets Push things

FOREWARD

:salutes Fools Rush In Where Angels Fear To Tread :patsch: :salutes
    :salutes A Fool and Their Credits are Easily Parted :D
    :salutes Softly, Softly, Catchy Freelancer :P :salutes
    :salutes SMILE :) It Breaks up the Time Between Disasters :thumbsup:
    :salutes I can Only Please one Person Per Day.Today is Not Your Day And Tomorrow does Not Look Good Either :thumbdown: :salutes

• :salutes Fools Rush In Where Angels Fear To Tread :patsch: :salutes
    :salutes I can Only Please one Person Per Day.Today is Not Your Day And Tomorrow does Not Look Good Either :thumbdown: :salutes

• Take this In

It Says all I want to say

As Does the Last Post

from me in a Musical Vein

:salutes Fools Rush In Where Angels Fear To Tread :patsch: :salutes