background to the California / Sol blockade

There are 191 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Doppleganger.

• Well i guess this f1 thing will never die out...

OP you say that people cannot guarentee where they will be when they F1 INTO combat, i say you are wrong to an extent. I can leave my vhf right next to the hyperion gate in dublin, when i see a train enter into dublin, i know exactly where he is going. I can then count to around 20 or so, f1 INTO combat and blow the hell out of the train. I can then f1 out because i am no longer in combat and continue on playing. This is the part that people are saying is unfair, and i sure as hell agree with them.

Until this action is officially ruled the same as f1ing OUT of combat i will continue to use f1 to escape someone that does this to me on a trade route. I would expect the same from anyone else also.

Now if OP is talking about the people that F1 into the same arena that other people are at to give chase from a docked station then I would agree with that scenario. It would be the same as going from 1 planet to another then launching a diff ship, which i guess is possible. (instantaneous transport from one world to another hmmmmmmm) Otherwise, i agree with those that f1 out to escape. Here is the kicker: Prove to me whether or not a guy f1's ouyt or if he looses his connection at the instant of battle. You cannot, ive had it happen to me. When i logged back on i was accused of using f1 to escape the battle.

[SIZE=5]Crossfire Police Department[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Duty above all but Honor[/SIZE]

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

[11] [9] [36] [50]
    Chars: [Capt]Osiris[CFPD]; [Capt]Osiris{CFPD}; [CFPD]Osiris; [CFPD]Osiris_Freighter;{Capt}Osiris[CFPD];
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

• i tell you guys something

take a hex editor... take the vanilla freelancer.exe (not the CF one) and find those few bytes which are responsible for the F1 when you are in space (yes those do exist and it was done before by alcander or how tihs guy was called)

only then you will be able to stop F1 ... but not by discussing this to death... coz ppl will simply get sick of those discussion and ignore it

if you are willing to search for a solution for this problem then search in the Freelancer.exe for it and lay the results down to me .... then i will include it into CF and every1 will be happy

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Without f1 in space you will not be able to log off or change chars unless there is someplace to dock. Nomad and DK space tough luck if you need to log off say if spouse cracks you in the gourd for not turning the computer off. For the younger players please substitute parents for spouse. Ahhh nothing like crashing the HD when power box turned off by force. Or how about people having a grand time in your Clan system for an halfhour while you try to get to someplace dockable from deep in DK space especially with random jh's.

Yahoo sounds fun!!! We had better be careful in what we ask for. We just might get it.

Yes Burros Do Bite.

Chars: SMG_Burro and derivatives thereof

SMG Forums

• Touche ^_^

24/7 SWAT CF veteran from sometime before 1.6 up into 1.82. Lots of memories!
    Built 88 chars between DC, BD, UAC,
    STC, and freelancers. Ashes to ashes, alas? D:

• This is a major contribution for all of us. Plz ppl, consider re-reading this. We have much to learn... ermmm... I think :(

Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

{LP}Amos and derivatives; {LP}Ivanov{X} from the Altair branch of LP

• uhhh, second.

its a pain when 3 BG jump in and try to kill your transport. granted that that is always expected.

but in the case of H5N1, who havent payed me a billion credits yet, ill go thru the pain to hunt one down to a planet, and hell f1 out. ill use another char to hunt the char he f1ed too, and hell just quit out of the game.

i mean, come on people, for the sake of roleplay, if you know you are being chased, then run, dont just switch to another charachter far away. being chased is part of the fun. (beleive me, gunny tried to kill me often enough.) so dont be lil weasels about it, or ill try to make you pay me 1 bil too.

I am god of the sea people.

"If you ever touch Mr.Kitty, ill put a M80 in your nutsack and blow your nuts all over your pants."- That goes for shooting at my transport too.

MW Gonna Rule The Earth!

or at least you.

Charachters- [MW]-XXL-[X] [MW]-Cartman-[X]
    [MW]-10-CENT [MW]-KONIG and in development:
    [MW]The_Oak. Thats right, run and hide.

West Coast For Life

• One thing did occur to me as a semi-solution.

It's that damned player list that exists in Freelancer. Telling everyone and their second cousin where everyone else is. That thing is a damned curse.

Smugglers use it to keep rack of the military/police. And the latter party use it to keep track of smugglers and pirates.
    If there was some way to disable that fuction we would have a more balanced standing. Cause the best way to stop the spreading of OOC knowlege is to remove it completely.

Military/police would have to make random checks of systems without knowing if there truly is anyone in that system. And smugglers would have to take a real risk for once. Not knowing if he/she will face a squad of fighters on the other side of the jumpgate.

It would bring back some suspence into travel. People can still speak in private messages with the intent to meet each other. So there would be no real loss to the game enjoyment.

I do not know if this would be possible however.

[27] Hardwired

• A good point - the only problem is for protection of clan systems....and of course ServerPolice/Admins would need the function enabled for finding people (for example: to detain them/conduct random ship tests - ie routine serverside duties)

• i just wrote a huge post, then my compy blew...

:(

to sum it up, i think we should try a single char revolution...
    only use one char a person... it will:
    enhance roleplay; prevent those nasty surprise attacks where someone just jumps to a char in the same system, that is not fair when concerned with real life fairness, stuff like that just doesnt work. I propose we try only using 1 designated char for 2 days, just to see if CF roleplay benefitsfrom it, and if we can eliminate some of the complaints about fairness.

ill start a new thread where people cooperating with this 2 day test can post their char name. If you have a ghost name, try to better identify the one you want to use...

this is mine: [MW]_Blink (currently lvl 63 i think; in a Deathblade; In Dublin) (reason i specify this is due to there being a ghost name, one has an 'i' one has an 'l', heck if i know which is which. :)

--Jake

ps. i got my uberspeed internet this morning, so im in my programming class now, and then i have math, then i think ill get on for a bit.

-

• I think the observation about the Player List was brilliant. I don't know who you are Hardwired, but you've brought quality suggestions here that never seem to have been explored before. I think RP would be drastically improved if the feature on the Player List displaying the players' system location were removed. It all makes sense if you take a moment to think about it...

1. System owners should have to maintain a constant presence in their system to defend it from intruders (you F1 in and out more than any other kind of player).

2. Traders and smugglers shouldn't be able to detect blockades, traps, and marauding pirates from systems away. Let them become blind and let the fun begin. Trading suddenly becomes a lot less boring when you don't know where whether or not you're being hunted...

3. Police shouldn't be able to see criminals' positions either... c'mon, if they know where all the bad guys are why aren't they already in jail? :D

4. Pirates shouldn't have the feature either because they become more of a threat when they can't be seen and get to do some quality maurading for a change.

5. Mercs should have to hunt down their targets rather than check the list and have the job done 5 minutes later (or have the prey see them coming and start a 2-hour chase before they're even in the same system).

All-around this is a brilliant ploy and should get serious attention. Who has the skills to track down the part of the coding that displays the players' system locale and delete it? This alone would revolutionize the RP here, and anything else we apply would make it better as well. We could go from lagging behind the average server to being on the leading edge of FL gameplay. Let's fix things up, drawing in enthusiastic newcomers, and build this server up to new heights. :)

(btw, is it just me or is this site uber-lagged today? ?()

• @ Blink mmmm NO :) I have a train for when I want to trade a fighter for protection of Custodian ,a fighter for fun and 1 that lurks around and my SP char.

1. System owners should have to maintain a constant presence in their system to defend it from intruders (you F1 in and out more than any other kind of player).

@ Marshal ,You expect me 2 sit in Cust all day ?that is really exiting in a fighter ! Pilots would leave clans rather than do that.No clan has enough pilots to do that .
    If that happened I would close Custodian totally and any pilot ever to break it would be kos permamently ,same with any1 in Cust ships.

Player List ,ok how will SPs do their job?

Its an old idea was that way in Jumpgate a few years ago,once online numbers dropped below 200 it was a bloody pain.

Originally posted by Wavey
    @ Marshal ,You expect me 2 sit in Cust all day ?that is really exiting in a fighter ! Pilots would leave clans rather than do that.No clan has enough pilots to do that .
    If that happened I would close Custodian totally and any pilot ever to break it would be kos permamently ,same with any1 in Cust ships.

Player List ,ok how will SPs do their job?

Its an old idea was that way in Jumpgate a few years ago,once online numbers dropped below 200 it was a bloody pain.

No, I expect a clan to divide the duty up amongst its members. I would think any clan of respectable size would have no difficulty in posting a pair of guardians in its system. Let them PvP and chat... your people spend most of their time in either Custo or Dublin anyway. The way F1 is used right now is nearly a cheat. If none of the members want to defend the system then it's no big deal... just don't gripe when you have intruders up to your eyeballs.

As for the SPs, the first time I posted my browser crashed (every time I click a link here on this one site today I either have a 5-minute wait or a browser crash). In that original post I suggested that the SP's have a seperate mod with the feature still included. In this idea you have to weight the pros and cons... what's more important to you Wavey, never having to do any work to defend the system or take a step towards fixing an RP situation that's anemic? Imao your argument just reflects personal distaste for the duller side of duty. When I go onto the server I see people... most of whom are either chatting, trading, or doing PvP in arena. I'm not going to say that things are boring, but despite people's recent efforts the RP on this server is very weak. These sorts of threads aim at improving the situation... so when is the community going to accept a solution rather than do nothing and complain?

• Sorry OP, no matter what you do you cant please everyone :( Personally I am not against F1 but it works both ways and i do not get mad if someone f1's out to escape obliteration.

The idea to remove the player list has merit but it needs work. For instance, i often look at the player list to see if other CFPD members are on the server. Dont really care where they are but at least I can see IF they are online. I do not know if it is possible to remove the player list or even part of it. Sounds like a big job either way.

To all. Discussion is part of life, a way of venting steam, a release of pent up frustration and other things. I know we all want to go out and have a good time on the server but without these discussions like this one it is difficult to know where others stand on the matter. We keep saying to stop talking about it and just go play but it is not that simple. One of the major things that separates us and puts us in the dominant species catagory is out ability to communicate effectively with other members of our species. Telling us to stop communicating and just go play is not really an option.

[SIZE=5]Crossfire Police Department[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Duty above all but Honor[/SIZE]

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

[11] [9] [36] [50]
    Chars: [Capt]Osiris[CFPD]; [Capt]Osiris{CFPD}; [CFPD]Osiris; [CFPD]Osiris_Freighter;{Capt}Osiris[CFPD];
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

• Ok 24 hrs divide by 2 pilots online for 1 hr at a time ,48 pilots needed .(NO I dont expect everyone to play all the time)
    BG dont have that many active pilots we dont even have half that !

If none of the members want to defend the system then it's no big deal... just don't gripe when you have intruders up to your eyeballs.

Dont tell me about work defending a system .I am sick of kicking idiots out of Cust when I am either in SP char or trying to fight or trade.I get a couple of hours to play a night if im lucky!
    tbh Id rather close Cust to everyone but allied clans

• So do you have any solutions to the RP problem that don't involve frustrating or inconveniencing the all-mighty serverclans? I've watched things slowly degress over the past 6 months and the community seems unable to fix its own problems. We always end up debating and squabling on 2 or 3 sides for about a week or two on an issue and then the thread dies and nothing ever gets done. If we can't come up with any solutions how will things ever get better? People come and go so fast because they don't like some of the things they find here... why can't we all work together towards fixing the things that are broken and improving the human-element of the server (the part that has been long-neglected)?

• Well instead of posting here get ingame and Roleplay !
    Now stop making inflammatory posts cos I am getting sick of it

So do you have any solutions to the RP problem that don't involve frustrating or inconveniencing the all-mighty serverclans? I

this sort of crap realy pisses me off .
    go and donate some cash towards the server cos not many seem to do that !!
    You want summat for free go play tetris :P

• CF is Brilliant. Why do some people want to change it ? Not just small tweaks , but fundamental changes. Tracking people is part of the fun and challenge of CF. People have no idea what CF will be like when dynamic universe is introduced. If people are not having enough fun then create or join a server clan and participate in ASF/CSF RP as well as Clan RP. Or maybe CF is too difficult for some players. Please leave CF alone. I hope we dont change a thing other than the updates from OP.

Yes Burros Do Bite.

Chars: SMG_Burro and derivatives thereof

SMG Forums

• ps rp doesnt seem dead to me ,always someone to hunt or fight

• the way i see it ppl want everything good without the bad... and that does not work

either F1 is disabled and we stop the F1 out and into a system which also means no fast change of positions to defend own territory or we let it enabled which has the opposite result

but i cant really see why there is the need to start those fucking long discussions about that... its a simple decision... yes or no

all those long roleplay discussions really bored me... and i didnt even read half of them
    i really hate those discussions because you start writing pages over pages and dont come to a result because 100 ppl have 100 oppinions but no1 of you wants to live with the consequences

ive stayed out of these discussions a very long time
    so instead of talking about how roleplay should be GO TO THE SERVER AND DO ROLEPLAY AND STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT IT

BECAUSE ROLEPLAY DOES ALSO MEAN TO LOOSE AT SOME POINT

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!