This is ridiculous

There are 18 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Martind Forlon.

• Hi everyone,

I know, this has been discussed before, but so far I thought everyone was just exaggerating.

So far I have had a great experience playing the Crossfire mod with Freelancer. As I am mostly playing Single Player campaign, I have no multiplayer experience whatsoever and I will not change that. I have no interest in multiplayer apart from the LAN server I have with my buddies here. So please don't answer something like "Just go to multiplayer and it will be better"

But here is my question:

I have now played through the SP campaign up to the mission with Tekagi's transport. Until now everything was pretty good. The graphics are great, the new ships and stuff look cool and in fact I like it that the missions are more challenging now. Well, at least until this one. Destroying the weapons platforms was easy and the first Navy fighters were easy to kill as well. But the last three of them, I don't know how the AI was changed or how they are scripted, but they were basically indestructible. There is just ridiculous. It took me about 45 minutes to just destroy one of them. On the other two, no matter how I hit them they did not take ANY damage. So after about 90 minutes on this single mission I finally gave up.

Me and my friends are casual players and we are not into the ultra-hardcore gaming scene. None of us has neither the time nor the nerves to play a game like that.

Is there any way at all, to change that game AI back to the standard Freelancer or maybe even to how it was before that mission...???

Thanks in advance!

• 2 of them did not take any damage ? That's odd, but if they were indestructible, you wouldnt have destroyed one of them. Maybe you are not supposed to destroy those, not sure about that part of the story anymore. Did they have specific names?

Anyway, AI cant be changed.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• If you want better aim, choose same guns (projectile speed is the same). This is typical reason not to hit anything.

Can you tell which ship, guns, missiles, torpedoes and upgrades (if any) you got now ?

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

• Hello DeepNoise,

I can't remember any 45-minutes-long fights in the SP campaign, so I think you are doing something wrong in that mission. Try checking the objectives or looking for waypoints to fly to. Or check if those fighters were friendly ships... Anyway, there must be some simpler opportunity that you're supposed to take.

If that doesn't help, you could try reloading last autosave or mission save (better check both) and see if it was a one-time bug or a persistent one.

And, in the worst case, the Difficulty slider in options may help you destroy those ships faster if there is no other way; just don't forget to put it back to normal afterwards.

Hope the mission works out for you one way or another.

And welcome to the Crossfire community here :)

• Just did the Transport mission (in Normal Mode) now about 5 min for the first part another 4 to 5 min I was back in Chugoku and Docking Kyoto.

DeepNoise it appears mate that you had far too much trouble with these fighters.

It seems to me you may have missed a Mission Objective at some point - taking so long on those fighters the AI should have aborted before you had to quit.

Good luck mate hope you get this sorted and the game continues for you and your friends.

Welcome aboard :) :)

==========================???:?::!::?:(HiRUGAs' WEB) :?::!::?:???=========================

Red Red White Center @Sun Exit Red Green Red Orange White Center & Your Out ..........End of Line :) :)

• Tthe thing is the mod was not designed to be for ultra hardcore players. I reduced the difficulty multiple times until version 2.0.

If NPCs at some specific point take absolutely no damage at all then something must be broken with the savegame (autosave). In that case I would advice to load the last mission generated savegame and try again.

If difficulty is a general problem and you struggle with it I would advice to watch the combat guides.

Starter Guide - SWAT Portal

Combat Video Guides - SWAT Portal

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• blasphemy

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• i'm pretty sure i've mentioned that i haven't played the CF singleplayer. Something about not wanting to go through the vanilla campaign i've played 100 times

• Portalearth Not like forlon and other threads didnt have downloadable saves at last vanilla mission for people with issues doing them for being "too hard" or something.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

Edited once, last by Michael ().

• Yes, I have at disposal saves from all CF missions. However I really want first some further reaction from author of this thread. If he really will want give CF chance, I will gladly send him package with my save games (which are 100% functional and verified numerous times).

• Sooo,

I actually tried again yesterday. It took a while, but I beat the Tekagi mission... (about an hour for those 3 remaining fighters at the shipyard + the 4 before the jump hole)

FYI:

I fly a Barracuda with lvl 6 Graviton Shield and equipped with Pyros Type 2 and 3 weapons

However, right now I am pretty sure I am going to uninstall this, which is a shame, because I really liked this mod so far.

I am with the Blood Dragons now, which means I cannot sell escape pods to the police anymore. Now I have a lvl goal of 1.2 million credits and have to grind it with missions that give me around 50,000 (i.e. about 20-24 missions??? ) seriously???

Ok, I thought, let's give it a try. Took a mission on Ainu depot for GC, which gave me 80,000 credits. Then the same thing again. I had to destroy 9 Level 7 Police Drakes, which, again took me around 80-90 minutes, because it is almost impossible to hit them.

So, no, I probably do not have the time or the nerve to continue with this.

Oh and please do not get me wrong; I do not think the game is difficult (My ship takes hardly any damage, either. I haven't used a shield battery for I don't know how long) It is just tedious to grind so many missions with ships, that are really hard to hit and have shield recharge rates through the roof...

• Last time I checked player is still neutral to Bretonian Police after completing that mission. You can sell pods on BPA Newgate.

(A little trick is to complete that mission while having cargo bay full of pods. After completing it, I made a pacifist run to BPA Newgate, sold them and instantly got requirements for the next mission. This was a while ago, but if you don't have enough you can try taking missions on BPA Newgate.)

Also, there are plenty of rather powerful ships available during that phase on campaign. For example, last time I completed that mission, I flew a Seahorse VHF (available on Planet Harris in Tau 31), with two Disinfectors (Class 7, looted from Kusari Naval Forces wreck in Hokkaido, these slots can accept up to Level 9 though), two DIAMONDBACKs (Class 10, looted from Rheinland Imperial Navy wreck in Sigma 13) and two CERBERI (Class 10, looted from Outcast wreck in Graveyard of Innocents in Omicron Alpha), with Adv. Brigand MK2 Class 10 Shield (Roppongi Station, New Tokyo) and Power Generator Mk V (Mainz Storage Facility, Frankfurt). However these guns are hard to use because they have a very low projectile speed and are VERY power hungry, but they hit hard. Rapid firing helps a bit.

Also, I believe the problem is with the ships NPCs fly. Dragon class HF has about half its length in a destructible rear fin. Since the aiming cross is calculated for the center of the ship, that means it's pointing almost at the end of its actual hitbox. Drake class LF has similar stuff, and in addition it is also very small and Dark Eldarishly fast.

TL;DR: Dragon and Drake screw with your aiming computer. Just wait until you'll get to face Corsairs in Titans with their actual hitbox hidden beneath destructible wings and fins.

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

Edited 2 times, last by (IOC)Wanderer: changed Power Generator Mk X to Mk V (the best one available) ().

• Hello DeepNoise,

it sounds like you didn't read our replies above ?( Most likely there is some technical problem with your game or savegame. Also, try checking if you had accidentally raised game difficulty in Options -> General.

Joining to Ajay's advice, I also don't remember any trouble during the Kusari part. Maybe you should try using guns with a high refire rate to make aiming easier. My ship last time was A-100 Stormrider, sold in Manchester, with 6 Suncannons B and average general equipment, and that was enough to complete the whole original campaign without buying a heavy/very heavy fighter.

• ... could be worth try if you can't dock on nearby prison (hostile isnt problem unles you were shoting close to station). In MP you can dock on hostile station and commodity market is not affected by player reputation towards faction owning base.

• Yeah,

basically this worked. Docked at the Bretonian prison and leveled up quickly.

But I believe Ajay was right. Those Dragon fighters have pretty small hit boxes. I mean, after destroying 3 Level 9 Dragons (took about 20 minutes in a Stormrider) on a mission in Chugoku all the Rhineland and Liberty Navy enemies in the later missions (Level 11 Valkyries and Defenders) were A LOT easier...

• having problems in SP, can sometimes be fixed by deleting your autosave. and going back two or three missions and starting from that point. It has worked for me. look to see if gates or jump hole are missing. this happen when you spend to long playing after to are told to meet at a point to start a new mission. SOME TIMES YOU HAVE JUST REINSTALL THE GAME.

• DeepNoise what can be interesting for you is using weapons with heavy damage, and learn how to use technique called "Rapid Fire". You have in detail showed how it works in Combat training videos in CF wiki here on portal. The best on this is, that it can completely demolish in few shots also all these small and fast regenerating (shield) NPCs. Later in game when you will have access to lvl 10 guns with decent projectiles speed it will help you even more. You can ofc use it also with "codenames", they do really heavy damage, but projectiles are really slow (it need to be close to target). For SP purposes all these weapons will work perfect.

And for added SP content (Crossfire missions which follows when vanilla end), get VHF (there is at least one at Battleship Westfalen) as soon as possible. Campaign NPCs are tougher and have more firepower will come handy for sure.