Important! Pls read

There are 105 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Bond.

• Just some minor changes:

All members now can bookmark content all over the Portal and even share these bookmarks with other users.

Thats a pretty useful tool that might help you to find interesting stuff again.

Another thing... in theory the new General Data Protection Regulation (BULLSHIT) requires kids under the age of 16 are not allowed to use Forums and social networks unless the parents allow it.

I hereby inform you that the Terms of Use have been updated to cover this. I wont put a checkbox or an age restriction on the registration page since... lets face it... kids will just confirm the setting or change the year of birth to whatever works for them.

There is no effective way to enforce this part of the data protection law and actually its not even my job to enforce it (from what I did understand).

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

There is no effective way to enforce this part of the data protection law and actually its not even my job to enforce it (from what I did understand).

... which is why many websites are closed or are temporarily are deactivated. The rule says you have to enforce and take over control, but its not said how.

Actually you would also have a site that is opened before you actually provide services where users may accept or deny the use of the webservice or websites, because actually private data is obtained right before users have the chance to accept or deny it. Someone should have better asked technicians and engineers before they would have written such stupid regulations.

signature.png

• right now I see the best protection in clear terms of use and privacy policies

since every technical solution can be easily bypassed its not even worth trying

you cant lock out kids from a gaming forum

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Main goal of new GDPR is to secure privacy and be forgotten. Main issue is that some coporations profile your data and sell it aka make money on your data.

Data protection isn't new btw. which has been covered good by "terms of use" and "privacy policy"

Small changes to "terms of use" and "privacy policy" will do just fine.

Imagine that someone will file a lawsuit against SWAT-portal.com - it won't go far.

Imagine the fine, if loosing af lawsuit. 4% of nothing. It's not a commercial forum/website.

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

• OffTopic
    yeah but nonetheless the rules from the GDPR are very restrictive. A user must opt-in in order to confirm that his data are used (in any way). He has to confirm how these data are used and if they are given to 3rd parties and so on. As an IP is personal data how do websites owners make sure a user visiting the website confirms that his IP is gathered and used before someone will get access by it. In my eyes this is not possible, as the services running in the background already us IP addresses. How do i agree of a router forwards my IP address to another router without that a 3rd party gets access to it without that i have confirmed it. Sure privacy is nothing new - but the new regulation somehow is more unclear than the old one - there is a reason many websites closed - private website owners, owners from club sites or social websites, authorities etc. have no clue how the website is working and which data are accessed in the background. They even cannot guarantee if those data are accessed by 3rd parties without their knowledge. Actually i could close my webservice as i cannot guarantee that the website hoster is accessing data without my knowledge or the knowledge of the site viewers... or which services he is using to make statistics and so on. It could become really complicated.

signature.png

• I think in case of the SWAT Portal I am really close at fulfilling the new regulations.

I went through everything that we offer here and all data that is stored or shared with 3rd party services.

All of that is covered by the new Privacy Policies and Terms of use.

There is even the option to export all data that we store about users if they request that.

IPs are only stored for 7 days until they get deleted.

Everything that technically was possible has been applied.

I can not control what the server host stores or any services which collect data without my knowledge when its transfered from the client to the server.

The Portal has a SSL encryption, therefore I did my job has administrator.

The problem is that even if I do nothing wrong I have to prove it. That means I have to defend myself from claims even if they are not true and cover costs for lawyer etc.

There once was a time where the internet was free... now you are halfway in prison when you set up your own website.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I can not control what the server host stores or any services which collect data without my knowledge when its transfered from the client to the server.

Actually you can ask all suppliers for a Data Processing Agreement (DPA). They have to answer what/where/when/who/why... they process the data (my job atm :bcrying:).

The DPA is about 8 pages - more info on request - they usually have their own DPA, so don't bother writing it yourself

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

Edited once, last by SilverFox ().

• SWAT_OP-R8R

Added the Label Help needed:
  • Long time no updates right?

Well ok, here they come:

• Thx to sp00n, who reported a problem with old portal links (and also delivered a solution to this problem) 2867 dead links of the forum could be fixed. Nicely done! its much appreciated.
    • The bright mobile skin is now really available to all members (a minor misconfiguration prevented it from working correctly -> more info about it on the Portal Guide.
    • Ive spent the past weeks reading through dozens of manuals, guides, code snippets and tech references with the objective to optimize the Portal and its performance. Especially the performance on mobile devices.
      This resulted in a bunch of changes and optimizations which I verified step by step using various analytic tools. This being said I need to mention that I did performance tests starting at locations all over the world. Since we only have one server location the results vary depending on the connection paths. That is not going to change anytime soon. The test results also depend on the client hardware. Thats normal.
      However, as result the following changes were done.
      • All of the website data which does not by default has a compression now gets transfered as compressed data. This resulted especially on mobile devices in a 40% lower data transfer. PCs also benefit of this change but the impact is a bit lower due to more powerful hardware and faster i-net connections.
      • Mobile devices no longer will use high-res images related to the Portal styles. Instead smaller resolutions will be loaded which fit better to the small screens and also will improve the loading speed.
      • Certain web elements that are used on the PC are no longer displayed on mobile devices. This includes rank icons and sliders such as the one on the dashboard. These elements do not fit well on small screens and removing them clearly is good for the performance on mobile devices. On desktop browsers these elements are still visible.
      • Optimizations have been done to stylesheets and javascripts. Code has been compressed and where possible these elements are now loaded asynchrone which prevents that they can block the buildup of the page for a short duration.
      • Images got compressed (or are currently being compressed). Atm I am compressing +13.000 avatars (will be finished later this night).
      • The way how fonts are loaded has changes both for PC and mobile devices. Especially on mobile devices the header fonts that are used for categories and headlines are not being loaded anymore. This does not have performance reasons (at least not primary)... I just think its looks better to have smaller fonts on small mobile screens. Especially some headlines didnt look good using the font setting that is currently used on PC.
      • New security settings have been introduced which prevent script injection on the Portal.
      • I created new rulesets for browser caching. This will highly improve the speed once the website has been loaded for the first time.

Overall i think that the speed on mobile devices did improve very well but we also have to keep in mind that often the connection speed is slower and the website is being processed slower than on a PC due to the less powerful hardware. And yes, the Portal is not really a tiny website that instantly can be loaded.

It is as lightweight as I can make it without breaking anything now.

One observation I made is that the firefox browser on my mobile phone is really not the best choice. From all browsers I tested it was the slowest.

Chrome and Opera mini were the best choices when it comes down to loading speed.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I use phone very often for access portal and these changes mentioned above are much welcomed! :sehrgut:

• One more thing to mention.

I belong to the people which dont do online banking. Yeah such people still exist.

Since I was practically nonstop busy working on the Portal I didnt notice that we got a bit more money than we needed for the Portal upgrade (because of bank transferals). Its not my intention to make any profits from this situation.

I will put that money away for the case that we add more features or have to do additional updates in the future.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Go and shout yourself a beer. Gees! You've earned it!

("Shout": Australian slang pub word to buy drinks. Like you'll be at the bar and someone says: "Its your shout Fred! Ha!") ;)

• Some information about the structural changes.

A few dozen forum boards have been merged or removed completely to simplify the structure.

Old news and spoiler threads are now part of the general discussions. News are now covered by our News system and since we have spoiler tags everywhere there is no need for any spoiler boards any longer.

Several games projects have been removed completely since they were no longer active.

The list of supported games has been shortened, while the generally less active games (with a few exceptions) have been moved into the category "other games". They are not gone but move a bit out of sight, allowing more recent games and games which had strong support in the past get more attention.

The Crossfire specific forums have been moved into the Freelancer specific boards (where they belong to) and have been separated into mod related and server related discussion boards. The cross-linking from the Freelancer boards to the Crossfire boards is no longer needed and has been removed.

Access rights to all these boards remain unchanged. However, if you experience any access problems to boards and categories that were able to use before you should open a ticket so i can take a look at the permissions of these areas.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Thats nice, was wondering why there are threads moved and with my name at notifications xD

But looking over those boards, its such a great thing that bot doesnt spam the forum with threads anymore but news instead...

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• dont make marvin depressed... he is doing his best

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Thats why, hes doing such a great job I had to scroll pages of threads to find the ones you moved or others I made at games xD Too much for us humans to handle! xD

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• i know you are good at scrolling

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Wow ! What a Great Conversation

Good to see that the Usual Suspects are Giving some Great Banter Out.

Love it !

:salutes Fools Rush In Where Angels Fear To Tread :patsch: :salutes
    :salutes A Fool and Their Credits are Easily Parted :D
    :salutes Softly, Softly, Catchy Freelancer :P :salutes
    :salutes SMILE :) It Breaks up the Time Between Disasters :thumbsup:
    :salutes I can Only Please one Person Per Day.Today is Not Your Day And Tomorrow does Not Look Good Either :thumbdown: :salutes

SMILE It Breaks up the Time Between Disasters. .

I can Only Please one Person Per Day. Today is Not Your Day And Tomorrow does Not Look Good Either.

Love it!!! Can I borrow these …….. ? :freunde:

• thx for the offerc

its just... we finished that stuff already

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,