Waiting for 2.0

There are 21 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• It hasn't been that long ago I read hundreds of posts on the release of Crossfire 1.9. It was like watching a pack of cute puppies jumping around and following the food dishes just about to be place down for them to eat. Every second was agony, yet thrilling - like waiting for the last day of school. Every delay was a personal disaster for some, but when you thought of the final product Crossfire 1.9 MOD - you could feel your mouth watering waiting for that first install. I bet there were several players who messed up their install sequence from being in a hurry. I was probably one of them, but when the screen opened up it was almost too good to be true. Once we started playing 1.9 all the time spent waiting was lost in dust behind us. I cannot remember the wait for 1.7 or 1.8 now.

Some may have advice on how to keep waiting without popping a gasket, when we are truly so close to the next and greatest Crossfire MOD. I gave up drinking 25 years ago so drowning my thoughts of the waiting wasn't going to happen for me. But I did build a workshop in my garage, detailed two vehicles, worked in the garden, played doctor until my wife sent me to the garage, and read a how-to book on fixing my Harley, which came in handy when I rebuilt the forks and swapped out the clutch. But every night I'd pass my office and there sat my triple screen Matrox system just waiting for me to come play. When you spend $4K for a computer system and wind up playing solitaire - you have a problem. I waited as patiently as possible and then it happened. I had a hard drive screech to a halt on my RAID unit. I just knew 1.9 would come out while I was waiting for a replacement drive. I was actually happy it was still in the works. I re-read my Doc Savage series books along with Andre' Norton's Solar Queen series. I did anything that would take my mind off of the pending release date.

The worse part of the release date was getting "to" the download and having it complete before something happened. After two tries - I was a happy man again. Juni was awesome and Trent got ugly tattoos, but the game was on!!!

Even now, while you were reading my above drivel, time passed and you are closer to 2.0 than you were when you started reading.

Patience Grasshopper. Crossfire 2.0 will be here very soon. The team is making sure we all have a game we can play for years to come - and for that I am very thankful!

Having spent years of my life playing: "Elite," "Proto Star," "Privateer," and finally "Freelancer" in its many forms - I am in awe of the work that has been done on each and every MOD for Freelancer. If there are other lives for us to live after this one, my only wish is to be real Freelancer!

Take care and stay safe!

Freelancers Forever!

• Nicely put Franco.
    I have taken to the habit of checking the SWAT site several times a day, watching for that magical post "Release". 99% done on the server side; must be 99.92% now, getting closer.
    I haven't given up drinking but right now I am trying to keep a diet and do a couple of weeks of serious training so that is out for me too *sigh*.
    What I will do is to try to find some modding tutorials and/or manuals for the HUD interface. I want to know if alpha channel opaque is being used, and if so try my hand at re-designing the HUD a bit.

I am one of the "lucky" ones. I only discovered Crossfire some months ago and then 2.0 was very well on its way.
    Freelancer/Crossfire has a very nice feeling universe and background story that other space sims miss; and I recently thought about how much that actually matters for a game. The world it inhabits is paramount for long term pleasure - kama sutra for gaming.

Freelancers Forever!

• i dont think that there are such tutorials
    its a somewhat more complicated topic but alphas certainly can be used

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• about when the tests are complete

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Franco's post is one of the most positive and Game inspiring reads I have read on here ever... Period !!!!
    Its nice to see something on here that isn't flaming, Trolling, or indeed spamming.

I raise a glass to your post Sir, as I too have played many a Space Sim as you said.
    Triple screen eh! Bet Crossfire looks awesome on it... You must post a pic of your setup so all of us can DrooL. ;)

Me just a 23" LG, Full HD Cinema Monitor, and that makes my Crossfire game come to life. Should have got 26"
    but needed to keep down the weight for its wall mounted, and the walls are hollow.

But as for your post, I applaud you. :applaus:

Rgds

Cygna ( an old space dude ) 8).

• 99% for about 1 year. Nothing more to say about that :)
    Im really hyped by the changes made to 2.0 but im literally losing my attraction due to that high waiting time.
    If you need over 1 year for 1% of testing purposes and your server stability, then this procentual status is just a lie.

The last post saying its "nearly" finished was again 1 month before I write this here.
    Dont get me wrong: Im highly thankful for what you guys do with Freelancer, this mod is just awesome, nothing to compare about. But time still matters. Why releasing a Post of 2.0 with 99% status 1 year befor you actually launch it? This is not fair at all, even If I respect your high amount of work. If you got some serious problems while testing, and need to fix that, why you dont make an Announcement that it will take a while longer?

Im just going to play some Elite. Im tired.

Edited 2 times, last by Vecelinus: added something ().

• If you would look around the forums a bit closer,
    you could see that progress IS going on.
    Maybe to slow for your taste, but it's going on.

With a mod of that size and claims, progress HAS to look small,
    when done by a small group of developers.
    Somehting you would know, trying some modding, scipting, etc.
    of games by yourself.
    Instead of just demanding and consuming.

And you should appreciate, that they won't release anything
    before it suits at least their own standards.

Sry, if it sounds a bit harsh. Your "edit" overlapped with my answer.
    P.S.: These announcement are there ... because SOME PEOPLE always ask for. :P

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

Edited once, last by NucNuc: added P.S. ().

• Ive changed the progress to 99% about 6 weeks ago. One year ago there wasnt even a progress bar online. Nothing more to say about that :)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• It's ok Huor , a good thing needs time to be perfect ;) ...i appreciate your time spending for something that can make us enjoy and not only you all the developers and people that actually work hard on the mod...Keep up the good work guys... we count you ..no problem to be hurry and anxious about our opinions...just do what you are good at and you know what this is...;)

• People have to understand this mod is created from people in their free time. Modding is not their job for sustenance. Their work in time between real job, family, friends and rest.
    I know for 2.0 is talking from long time and i don't want to offense anybody, but what if dev team was released 2.0 before all to be clear?
    All people vs dev team "Hey dev team fix this mod ...(some swear)...why is so buggy and etc".
    I prefer to wait more as all Crossfire supporter for big gift, greatest Freelancer experience. :)

Break the chains of life! Fly freely!

• You all shouldnt get my post "too agressive". It was not intended as that.
    I can just say again: Im extremely thankful for you all spending your free time on modding an already nearly dead game and make it awesome for anyone who ever enjoyed it. You guys have my highest respects for everything you do. Even if im not modding Freelancer anymore - Im programming a freelancer 2D clone in Unity at the moment and Im totally aware of the fact that modding, programming and everything related takes much time. (and always more time then you expect)

The thing with 99% 1 year before was not totally correct, Im sry, but there was statements that its already progressing as hell, even with no progress bar - so my intention was it will be released the next months, not 1 year after announcements.
    I was a bit tired of waiting, dont get that wrong guys. An announcement why it takes longer cant be a big deal, or am I wrong?

After reading my post again I have to say sorry cause it reads really harrassing. - Not my intention! Forgive me please!

- Vece

• i understand but...
    we have done such announcements... here and at moddb

the mod infact is complete for meanwhile +2 months
    the prob is that the multiplayer software still requires testing and some bug fixes (we couldnt do that before the work on the mod was complete)
    and next to that did it turn out that even the new launcher is not relyable
    this would not only be a major problem for the players... its currently also a major problem for the online tests

We had an online test scheduled for last monday and had to abort it because all of a sudden the launcher stopped to work for Huor (my launcher is still working for an unknown reason).
    We can not predict such incidents... all we can do is to invest additional time to find a solution.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Greetings Fellow Freelancers

I would love to play Crossfire 2.0 but i am happy to wait as long as necessary as i understand that custom content takes time and effort all at the expense of the creators time and resources and it HAS to meet their (high) standards and requirements for single player(not easy as i understand) and of course multi-player.
    Then there are 3rd party issues such as the launcher/server software and of course hardware crashes/breakdowns.

What i am saying is i would rather have a glittering diamond than a cubic zirconia (all the glitter but none of the depth)

Patience is its own reward ..

Keep up the good work guys i really appreciate the effort you have put into previous releases and the beast in the wings ..

• Just some info on progress and THAT progress is going on on CF 2.0.
    Info that can also be obtained on checking . from time to time - this site Crossfire 1.9 mod for Freelancer - Mod DB

There you would be able to find the following statement

What prompts me to speak out an unmeasurable

:thankyou: THX A LOT HUOR, SAVIOR of CF :thankyou:

You should get a special medal for that.

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)