Games you are playing or enjoyed playing lately (except FL/CF)

There are 286 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Ajay.

• will try it later

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• "Oldie", but goldie! I am still like this game.

But Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 isn't good! :-(

If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen! :-)

• to be honest I didnt like both of them

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I spent my last week playing "This War of Mine" - its an Indie project - sidescroller survival sandbox about civil war with great replayability and different characters, that can be joined in one group. This game is based on a real stories about civil war, siege of Sarajevo, Yugoslavia, in 1992-1996.

I recomend this game to everyone, who likes something related to war and survival.

• Oh yeh I tried that one out too several months ago, wonder if its changed much by now. Loads of good n even great indie games out there ^^

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• its on my to-play list ;)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Mirrors Edge Catalyst

Its better to call it Mirrors Edge Catastrophy.
    I am a big fan of the original Mirrors Edge. It was a game where nearly everything did fit well together and it felt great to play eventhough it had a very short storyline.
    Unlike expected from the developers Catalyst is not "Mirrors Edge 2"... its a reboot of the original game instead.
    Some of the characters of the original game are in the new one aswell, others were cut. The character backgrounds were changed and you only get information about that if you read the comic (which i dont intent to).
    Most of the story is different but for some idiotic reason several story elements of the first game made it into this reboot, which didnt feel any good.
    Everything just felt warmed up and most critics on the original game were completely ignored.

The game clearly belongs into the "most beautiful game Ive ever played" category and it instantly created the desperate wish to rent an apartment on the roof of one of these buildings.

Gameplay wise the developers did everything wrong that could go wrong.
    One of the biggest problems of the original game was that it was very linear. It has a storyline that you had to follow without much chance to explore the world.
    Catalyst now has an openworld city, so actually it would be perfect for exploring but this city is divited in different sectors and these sectors are connected only through some narrow passages. So no matter what you always have to go through these connections if you want to travel from one part of the city to the other. And that in return means you always have to take the same paths over and over again.
    And open world environment wiht absolutely no freedom.

Same can be said about the story missions. There is only ONE way to get these missions done.
    The open world only exists to prolongate the gameplay because you have to run from A to B in order to find your mission contact, then from B to C to reach the mission area, do the mission in exactly the way it is intended to be done, then run from C back to A or D to get the reward.
    Sometimes you are sent throught he entire city and back without really knowing why that was neccessary because there actually is no need for a face-to-face conversation... the chars could do a phone call. Dammit.

Another point of critics of the old game was that the running phases were disrupted too often by combat. That simply didnt fit into the game.
    So the developers removed all weapons from the new game (which is good) but instead put in an completely idiotic close combat system which is not only completely bugged but also disrupts the running gameplay way too often.
    In the end you spend alot more time in combat than in the original game.

Most ridiculous about the combat system is that there are two tutorials about it. Yes, two.
    One against holographic enemies and the other tutorial starts right after that with exactly the same tasks but this time against normal NCPs. It looks like they had 2 level designers which couldnt agree on who is doing to tutorial and in the end some idiot decided to put both tutorials in the game.
    And... you are not allowed to do the tutorials in a creative way. If you knock out all enemies in exactly the demanded way the tutorial resets and you have to do the same shit again. Over and over again... until you did exactly what the developers want you to do.

There is no freedom of choice anywhere in this game.
    Not even at the end where the most important fight of the entire game is.... scripted. You can only watch. You have no influence.

Not long after starting the game I noticed that for some reason everything appeared so easy.
    I remembered the original mirrors edge more difficult.
    Reason is simply explained. They simplified the controls and the gameplay massivly.
    In the original game it required speed and timing to do actions... but now in the new game all of that does not matter anymore. You can do a wall run without actually having enough speed.... and you need absolutely no timing for anything.
    Everything is so simple that its boring as hell.
    Probably that also explains why the player animations are so terrible meanwhile.
    In the original game everything ran so smooth but in catalyst nothing really fits together.

To sum it up, a great looking game with crap gameplay.
    The developers managed to ignore every feedback.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• hate on EA all you want, I received Star Wars Battlefront as a christmas gift. It was the Ulitmate Edition which included the season pass (so i dont have to pay $15 for a new map.

And I'm not sure why people hate on it. Sure there's spawn camping out the ass and it seems like your team runs around like chickens with their heads cut off more often than not. Level design definitely could be better as a map has maybe just 1 or 2 spawn points for your team (including the ability to spawn in on a "partner") But as a Star Wars fan, it's fun as shit! Makes me ACTUALLY feel like I'm apart of critical battles between the Empire and the Rebellion.

Weapons...well...they go pew pew. Targets (other players) are fairly easy to from a good distance. Some weapons are more accurate while others are more powerful at longer ranges, but have limited shots before overheat (think plasma pistol from Halo). Kinda tempted to purchase the kit that unlocks everything. That whole "pay to win" concept that grasps the mobile gaming market.

maybe it's just my computer, maybe it's because EA server suck, but the rubberbanding caused by lag is HORRIBLE! I'd moving and my fingers aren't anywhere near the keyboard. Will give thanks to the poor server quality as the lag has saved my ass

PC has a population of around 10,000 players and Xbox 1 and PS4 has about 35k and 40k players repectively. Still..it's pretty damn fun

• Age of Empires 2: Conquerors

In my personal experiences, I have a soft spot for those Britons. Their longbow's beat the range of any castle and tower (Apart Bombard Tower). Teutons excel at hand combat but lack in piercing armour whereupon the British longbows can completely annihilate them without blinking. However, siege weaponry seem to take down those long bowmen rather quick (If you have around five Onager's at least). The goths however are vastly OP. Being in the castle age, you can train twice as much units as you could in the Dark Ages, and in the imperial age, units training are half of that too. It's just their luck though, that they can't build stone/fortified walls but can build palisade walls. Mongols are just plain barbarians able to outlast most other player's on the map, then do a last minute attack on the leftovers. The Mangudai aren't powerful as one, but are extremely poweful in numbers, especially at other ranged cavalry.

L+ Ratio

• AoE 2, old memories, idk why that game was so great but it was great for me too. They created mods with custom matches on multiplayer and stuff for it. Try search for this ^^

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Yeah, I got a new mod just today: Rise of Kings: Realms, introduces around 10-12 new civilsations, lot's of new custom units, and around sixteen different custom maps. Haven't had the chance to try them all out yet, but my favourite atm, is the Armenian army. Their unique unit is (some random mumbo jumbo name) which has the same strength and weaknesses as a Cataphract of the Byzantine army, except it is stronger

L+ Ratio

• I posted the screenshots of this game, but didn't actually tell much about the game.
    Or, to be more correct, games - the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series: Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat.
    All three games are on the same engine and have very similar gameplay, but with differences.

Gameplay
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a Wide Open Sandbox FPS. Somewhat similar to Freelancer in that you can go more or less whereever you want (with storyline-required restrictions - again like in FL; for example, you can't go to Bar until you completed a storyline quest in Agroprom in ShoC) while storyline quests are hanging.
    Call of Pripyat even introduces option of freeplay after finishing the main storyline.
    Movement
    Inside the location, you walk on your own. You can move between locations by walking to another location's entry point. Clear Sky added a Guide-type NPCs that can - for a fee - move you to another point (usually stalker bases and strongpoints) either inside a location or on other location. Call of Pripyat removes location entry points nearly completely, you will have to ask guides to move you between locations. However, now nearly any stalker squad can move you inside a location to another area.
    As a side note, your inventory weight affects your own walking. Usually your inventory states maximal weight around 50 kg. Going over that value actually just slows you down if it's not more than 10 kg over. Some artifacts can increase inventory weight or the sprint meter replenishment rate.
    Some weapons or armor (PKM light machine gun or an exoskeleton) can prevent you from sprinting. Call of Pripyat allows exoskeleton to be upgraded to no longer prevent sprint.
    At one point driveable vehicles were present, but were dummied out. CoP removes vehicle code altogether.
    Combat
    Done rather realistically in regards to firearm behavior. A number of guns of various types are available, with several types of ammo (9x18 PM, 9x19 Para, .45 ACP, 5,45x39, 5,56x45, 9x39, 7,62x54 in clips or belts, 12 gauge, OG-7V rockets for the RPG, grenades for underslung launchers). You will have to mind bullet falloff, ESPECIALLY if you have a gun using subsonic 9x39 ammo. Firing wears gun down, which reduces accuracy and increases the probability to jam. Most ammunition calibers have usual and armour-piercing rounds, shotgun shells have buckshot, solid slugs or darts. F1 grenades have a very wide fragmentation area so have to be thrown out from cover. Some assault rifles can have a grenade launcher mounted, GP-25 or M203. Similarly, silencer (fail part is that silencers here are one size fits all) and scopes (PSO-1 and SUSAT) are available, some come with pre-installed addons (for example, AS Val is perma-silenced, L85A1 has a pre-mounted scope and OTs-14 Groza has an integrated noobtube). And yes, guns might be quite heavy and have rare ammunition. Good luck finding 7,62 rounds for Dragunov on Cordon, or 7,62 belts for light machine gun nearly anywhere. And of course, PKM LMG, RG-6 grenade launcher and RPG-7 are heavy enough to disencourage their usage.
    The attachment part was reworked slightly in Call of Pripyat, now some guns can't mount some addons it normally would in previous versions. For example, SIG SG-550 can only mount a noobtube (Strelok's unique SG-550 is an exception).
    And in the late game of CoP, you can obtain a Gauss Gun, which renders all sniper rifles moot (unless you want to go silent, then the Vintorez is your pick). And you can get homemade batteries from one mechanic for some cash.
    Armor is another story, ranging from leather dusters to scientific HAZMAT suits to Exoskeletons which turn you into a walking tank. This is why armor-piercing rounds exist. Upon suffering damage, either from combat sources or hazardous environment (later on that), the armor itself will suffer damage and its protective qualities will lower. In CoP some suits don't have a helmet, so you have to get one separately.
    Some received wounds might cause bleeding. It can be removed by bandages or military medkits, or prevented by some artifacts or Vikasol drug (in Call).
    NPCs' behavior in combat is also another story. They will take cover and outflank if they are attacked, unless they are zombified. They learned to use grenades in Clear Sky, and learned to loot their fallen brothers/enemies in Call.
    Mutants are a combat hazard ranging from "nuisance" (Fleshes) to "average" (small blind dog packs/single pseudodogs, boars) to "dangerous" (snork packs, large groups of hamsters) to "ohflakKILLITKILLITNOW" (Burers, Controllers, Bloodsuckers, Chimeras) to "oh shi~" (Pseudogiants) to "you're flakked" (Bloodsucker packs). Generally they all want to claw your face off, so the shotgun is good to keep in this situation. Burers, Poltergeists and Controllers are an exception: two former will telekinetically throw stuff at you (Burers can also grab your gun and throw it half a map away... they can't do it with a knife, it's a hint) and the latter will psionically attack you.
    All of the rest have tricks up their sleeve. Snorks can jump very high. So can Chimera. Bloodsuckers can turn invisible (and can instakill you in CoP). Pseuogiants can tank a headshot from the Gauss gun, and they can basically Thunderclap, concussing everyone around.
    Surroundings and NPCs.
    In the Zone, nearly everything wants to kill you. Anomalies and hazard zones are manifestation of this. Anomalies can be gravitational, electrical, thermal, chemical and psionic. The last three types have a different immunity sections, for example, a vanilla Exoskeleton is weak at protecting against these, but SSP-99M (the scientists' outfit) offers a great deal of protection against such hazards (but won't save you from buckshot-to-face encounter). Anomalies can be avoided by either visually spotting it or by using an old-fashioned detection methods: by throwing a small and heavy object (a bolt in this case) forward, which triggers an anomaly if it hits it.
    Anomalies spawn artifacts. In ShoC those are just laying around. In Clear Sky they become invisible to the naked eye, so you have to use detectors to find them - they become visible when detector is near to them. In Call, they appear in anomalous zones and can dynamically spawn with each blowout. Artifacts can be worn to grant the wearer some boosts, but they might have a negative effects too. It is possible to combo them: e.g. in Call, Bubble (-4 Radiation) and a Goldfish (+3 Radiation and +20 kg Max Weight) or Soul (+2 radiation, +2 Health Recovery). In ShoC you had 5 slots by default; CS and CoP have up to 5 slots depending on the armor you wear. Certain types of artifact can be spawned by certain type of anomaly, e.g. Nightstar, Gravi and Goldfish can only appear in gravitational anomalies.
    Of course there also are radioactive zones, these cause radiation poisoning. You can remove it by using the antirad drug/scientific medkit (or getting smashed... no, really), or wearing some artifacts (aforementioned Bubble). Some things can prevent/lower the poisoning rate - suits with high Radioprotection or a Radioprotector drug in Call.
    The blowouts can randomly appear since Sky. Being caught in the open during a blowout is instant death. Call of Pripyat has remedied that a little, there is an Anabiotic drug that can knock you out for some time, and surviving three blowouts in the open thanks to it grants you an ability to survive the blowout if in perfect health.
    The game world has quite a lot of nice touches. prompting you to explore. In Shadows and Sky, upon looting corpses, you might get coordinates for stashes, which might contain goodies. These can also lie in hidden places along with some other stuff - such as Gordon Freeman's corpse on Wild Territory in ShoC, this is where Half Life 2 Episode 3 went. Some locations from the ShoC went to CS, such as Cordon, Scrapyard, Agroprom, Dark Valley, Military Warehouses... CS also allowed you to buy stash locations from notable NPCs. In Call, the game world is smaller, only 3 locations can be visited frequently, but you are more or less required to explore. However, most stashes can now be found without looting/buying.
    Underground labs are of special notice. For the faint of heart, these might cause your intestines to shoot bricks faster than Strelok's modified AKS-74 shoots bullets. For example, there's a room with THREE Burers in one lab in CoP.
    NPCs by most part live their own life. The stalker squads and mutant packs roam the Zone, occasionally starting fights with each other. Various factions are at war with the other (Monolitians fight everyone, Mercenaries and Bandits by most part - nearly everyone, Duty and Freedom are at each others' throats...), and so are different mutants (Blind dogs and pseudodogs will attack bloodsuckers, fleshes or pseudogiants, for example). When idling on base or near campfire, stalkers might start playing guitar or telling anecdotes.
    Some NPCs can offer valuable help. Traders have endless supply of cash and will buy the stuff you looted. Some offer quests. Remember the line in "Combat" that guns and armor break? You couldn't repair them in ShoC, but Clear Sky added mechanics who can repair your stuff or even upgrade it. For example, in CS you can rifle your shotgun's barrel so it will be more accurate when firing slugs/darts, but will lose ability to fire buckshot. The upgrade system was retained in CoP. In addition in CoP, Medic-type NPC was added, these can patch up you - remove radiation poisoning/bleedings and restore your health bar.
    In CoP, the starvation mechanic was introduced. Now you also need food (which used to give an effect similar to medkits, but much smaller) to keep going.
    Playability.
    Unfortunately, vanilla versions are full of bugs. Especially Clear Sky - Faction Wars are bugged beyond repairs. However S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is very moddable and most of these mods fix the most glaring bugs or restore the stuff that was dummied out.
    Call of Pripyat however, made some improvements. You got quick access slots for example. Before you could only quick-use a medkit or a bandage, now you can place any usable object type (such as antirad) into these slots bound to F1, 2, 3, 4. You get achievements, some of which give you goodies (for example, after completing Zveroboy's quest line stalkers donate ammunition to your personal crate on Yanov, or aforementioned blowout resistance).
    Localization might be a trouble. People regard the original Russian voiceover to be better. I can imagine, good luck translating bandits' combat chatter, "cheeki breeki" is already a meme. From the other side you'll miss out on the anecdotes. ("A bloodsucker comes into a bar...")
    Storyline.
    All three games have an interesting storyline, but each of them a bit different.
    ShoC's player character is an amnesiac man trying to find who he is and who is that Strelok guy his PDA tells him to kill.

CS's player character is a mercenary trying to prevent some guy (the same Strelok) from reaching the centre of the Zone so he won't cause an apocalypse (and save his own life as a part of a bargain).
    In CoP, the protagonist is a security service agent sent to discover why a military operation in the Zone failed.

VERY LATE EDIT:
    The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is not entirely a good game. It had a lot of wonderful features cut out during development.
    ShoC probably was the worst. Sure, lots of locations, open world, cool story... but some of its features were a hit on the playability.For example, breakable weapons and absolutely no way to repair them. There was no intuitive way to repair suits as well - you needed to bring your Electricity, Chemical or Burn immunity over 100 with corresponding artifacts and walk through Electra, Soda or Burner anomaly.
    Clear Sky fixed that and even gave an upgrade system. It even threw in more playability fixing stuff such as guides or ability to buy stash locations off stalkers. Unfortunately, Clear Sky also threw in a metric flak ton of bugs. Faction Wars were bugged, random blowouts were bugged, heck, it could crash out of nowhere.
    Call of Pripyat further improved playability. With achievements, dynamic artifact spawn, freeplay, etc. it became easier to play. Unfortunately, the open world took a strike. There are only five loctaions in CoP total, including two quest-only locations. Moving between the other three is possible only with the help of guides. Worse, engine code for vehicles was cut out altogether,

And finally. S.T.A.L.K.E.R., as it was said, is VERY moddable, so nearly everything of the above may change. The mod I have on ShoC, for example, allows weapons/equipped to be repaired by traders, along with adding driveable vehicles, freeplay, dynamic anomalies and lots of other stuff.

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

Edited 11 times, last by Ajay ().

• That mod is basically OGSM+Arsenal and whoever combined that before setting it for upload long ago added some more stuff (and now I did some more additions, thanks to AMK site - people there share models/configs for other modders to use). So I don't know about vehicles, but freeplay came from OGSM.

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".