Error launcher

There are 84 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Rockettom.

• Thank you PVGoran -- the read-only boxes have always only been "checked and grayed", and after unchecking, hitting "apply" (and choosing the recursive "subdirectory" option), and doing it for the entire Freelancer directory, I am still getting the Error Copy E6 (for both single and multi-player updates). Disappointing, I know (and the grayed checkbox is back anyways).

I get different behavior if I use the "troubleshoot compatibility" option from the icon's right-click menu. Its "recommended options" are XP service pack 2, and doing so the update proceeds for more files before hitting the bad-sounding error "Missing Freelancer E00000166, which is confusing because Freelancer is right there. To clarify: without compatibility mode Single-Player downloads 2/2 files and then hits the Copy Error, while with XP service pack 2 on it downloads 3/3 files and then hits the other error.

So a question is, what is the right compatibility mode for this? I am running Windows 7 64-bit with all the updates.

• and the grayed checkbox is back anyways

This is how it is supposed to be.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 (with the latest updates) as well, and CF works fine for me, for the most parts.
    Do you have UAC (User Account Control) enabled?

• Yes I do (UAC), as I always thought it unwise to disable. But I may try later, need to go to work now (ack, real life :).

UPDATE: I tried disabling UAC (all the way down, rebooted, etc.), and got exactly the same error codes. Sigh.

Edited once, last by involution ().

• The crossfire installer is set to request adminstrator permissions during the installation process (for win xp... windows vista, windows 7 and windows 8).
    The installer then installes the fonts under admin mode (this was tested on all mentioned OS).
    The installer also disabled the creation of write protections of files during the flmm activation.
    And the installer is supposed to disable the visual desktop components to allow the intro movie to play without black screen.

All these functions are clearly covered by the installer... running in admin mode by default.

People that have problems with the stuff above must have something on their pc that prevents the installer to do its job. This can be UAC... firewalls... antivir tools or any other security tool which takes over windows functions.
    There is not much we can do about that... its something on the client pc... something we couldnt under no circumstances expect to happen.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Silverfox, here are the folder sizes:

Freelancer: 7.61 GB (8,181,564,114 bytes)
    On disk: 7.65 GB (8,221,310,976 bytes)
    Contains: 17,579 Files, 864 Folders

Freelancer/EXE: 112 MB (117,861,312 bytes)
    On disk: 113 MB (118,501,376 bytes)
    Contains: 314 Files, 10 Folders

Hope this helps, and I can check other directories if needed, of course.

• Hmm, my folders are bigger than that:
    c:\Freelancer folder is 7,94 GB (8.528.721.422 byte) and 17.871 files, 868 folders
    my Crossfire20setup.zip is 2,69 GB (2.893.921.598 byte)
    And in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Freelancer Mod Manager\mods" my "Freelancer 2 - Crossfire" folder is 6,41 GB (6.890.976.937 byte) and 8.464 files, 866 folders

Can anybody confirm this or not ?

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

Edited 3 times, last by SilverFox ().

• Here I posted "sizes": Crossfire 2.0

• in that way you didnt use a clean FL installation

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• And in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Freelancer Mod Manager\mods" my "Freelancer 2 - Crossfire" folder is 6,41 GB (6.890.976.937 byte) and 8.464 files, 866 folders

I have the exact same size as Silverfox in my FLMM directory, so what does this mean? Possibly I can try to wipe Freelancer, reinstall again, and try to activate the mod again? I am using the original Freelancer CD and install it without patches, so I can't see where the changes come from. At least it seems good news that the data for the FLMM directory is the same.

• I have the exact same numbers as Forlon for both the zip file and the installed mod.

Gearhead10.png

[size=10]Cooler Master HAF 912 Chassis; ASUS PRIME B660M - A WIFI D4; Intel Core i7-12700F,25MB Cache, LGA1700; Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Corsair 16GB (4x4GB 2000 MHZ DDR3); 1NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OG 12G Ti, Corsair RM 1000 PSU, Micron 256GB SSD (Win 11), WD Caviar Black HDD (640GB - Win 11 64), Samsung SyncMaster BX2440 (Digital)

The Personal World Clock

• This is getting weird. I no longer have the zip. Unzipped, the Crossfire20setup directory is

size: 2.69 GB (2,894,979,559 bytes)
    on disk: 2.69 GB (2,894,991,360 bytes)

• My Zip is the same as Forlon's. Not sure why yours is larger.

Gearhead10.png

[size=10]Cooler Master HAF 912 Chassis; ASUS PRIME B660M - A WIFI D4; Intel Core i7-12700F,25MB Cache, LGA1700; Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Corsair 16GB (4x4GB 2000 MHZ DDR3); 1NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OG 12G Ti, Corsair RM 1000 PSU, Micron 256GB SSD (Win 11), WD Caviar Black HDD (640GB - Win 11 64), Samsung SyncMaster BX2440 (Digital)

The Personal World Clock

• Now my Freelancer folder is 7,62 GB (8.183.764.383 byte) and 17.570 files, 863 folders (didn't launch yet) - correct ?
    After launching SP and MP folder is 7,59 GB (8.158.765.854 byte) and 17.578 files, 864 folders

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

• Where do all these small variations come from if we all use the same installation files? (I assume the same Crossfire+FLMM file from this site, and the same original Freelancer). Will try again tomorrow. Too bad, I've been looking so long for this release!