Posts by pvgoran

and the grayed checkbox is back anyways

This is how it is supposed to be.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 (with the latest updates) as well, and CF works fine for me, for the most parts.
    Do you have UAC (User Account Control) enabled?

Another is that some Windows advice sites say that the flag has no actual effect (or else I should be removing the flag for just about any program doing writes).

It surely has an actual effect. The point is that installers don't set it often, and then application files usually aren't updated outside of installers. But in case of Freelancer, its installer does set "read-only" attribute for at least some of the game files. And the Mod Manager and later the CF launcher do need to update Freelancer files.

So, going to an actual advice. When you click Properties on the EXE directory, is the read-only checkbox checked "cleanly", or it's checked and grayed? When you uncheck it, do you click "Ok" or "Apply" afterwards? When it asks whether to process files and subdirectories, what do you choose?

Also, I suppose it may be useful to remove "read-only" not only from the EXE directory, but from the whole Freelancer directory as well.

P. S. I don't think you'll need to reinstall Freelancer+Crossfire again to make it work. :)

hm, should K-Lite mega codec pack solve the codecs dependency issue? or maybe do I need a specific codec installed to play the intro videos?
    as for the GPU support... well, I did add it to the list in that file, but i've also forced the game always to start it using nvidia via the nvidia control panel

I don't know about CF2, but in CF1.9 videos only play for me when selecting "Disabled desktop composition" in compatibility settings.

So, I went on mission 4 in a Defender. At the end of the day, it was more worry than actual trouble: I suppose I could complete it in one or two tries (but I didn't because I did stupid things like trying to attack the evil Liberty Navy that destroyed Van Pelt's research station).

After arriving to Bretonia I quickly found a Trident for several hundres thousand credits, it allowed me to travel everywhere within the House space (except for Liberty, of course) and in Border Worlds, to find a Falcon, a Trailblazer, and eventually a Pink Eagle, along with a set of level 10 guns.

A level 8/10 ship like this felt natural among the dangers of Border Worlds, but now in campaign missions I'm like "what, Rheinlanders? 3 gunships and some fighters? All right, let's deal with them. Juni, what do you mean give more power to engines? There is noone to run from anymore!" So now I do have the "not enough challenge" problem :) . But I suppose later missions will prove more difficult.

Welcome to Inner Core.

No-no-no, that would be just a bit later. :)

And to some bases that have good equipment, or to a wreck that has some sweet loot, or for some missions...

Point taken. :)

BTW I wonder how she's able to reach me when I was on a "crusade" in Omicron Alpha.

Subspace communications may look like a miracle, but that's how they work...

Though do note that if you'll make her waiting for too long, she'll throw a fit and make all hostile forces neutral to you, attempting to attack them resulting in game over and you'll be unable to take a mission.

That sounds unrealistic...

Though given that she has a Mark of Tzeentch or something other that gives her ship ability to take flakload of hits yet survive, doubt that she would benefit from it.

Why, she will benefit. Because someone still should kill all those annoying enemy ships. :)

Also, too powerful? There CAN'T be such a thing as enough dakka.

Well... There is such thing as not enough challenge. :)

To my knowledge, level requirements are the same, no matter how much money you have.

Level requirements as in the amount of money required to reach the next level.

Well, then you will have to wait until AFTER mission 4, where you will be able to find some ships in "your price range" - already in New London

Looking forward to it. :)

Look for jumpholes in Colorado , there is at least one open that leads to a place to find other "high-class" fighters

Right, Sea of Shadows with Dark Angel and two 8kk ships. I don't like the Dark Angel, though: it looks too flat, and again, it's way too powerful (4x10 class guns!) for my position.

You can find a financial solution in Hudson (sell in Texas)

Hudson is closed for me, both the gate and the hole...

Besides, it's not that I can't get enough cash. I just don't want to exceed my level requirements. :)

Thanks for extended replies. :)

Of course, I understand that I will need a much more powerful ship for a Crossfire campaign. But I'm not looking that far in the future yet :) . Anyway, I'll be bound to have much more credits by then, just because of level requirements, and will be able to buy all these cool ships people talk about on forums. :)

last things first :
    NO CF 2.0 SP-campaign will not be released alone

Well, too bad :) . But tolerable.

JUST 700k CREDITS ? Man, you've been lazy on pod-hunting/farming ! :D You coud be easily around 4 - 6 mills by now. Don't let the notes on "Juni's waiting for you" harass you. She will wait for her Hero as long as he lets her wait ^^

Well, call me lazy - that may even be true. :)
    Or maybe I just prefer to keep a natural flow of campaign (even if it's modded).
    Or I just like to fiddle around instead of farming for pods like crazy. :)

That would put you in a position to buy a VERY nice fighter to be found somewhere in Texas, that is ABSOLUTLY sufficient enough to even finish the whole vanilla storyline (including an easy Hovis Race). BTW, in Texas are some wrecks to be found with NICE loot to eqipp this fighter.

Let me guess... It's on one of pirate/unofficial bases? Because I think I already checked every planet and every officially listed base there.

• Look for jumpholes in Colorado , there is at least one open that leads to a place to find other "high-class" fighters ;)
    • But don't forget : for the CF continuation of the storyline you WILL DEFINITLY NEED a VHF-class fighter and then, the Custodian jumpgate IS closed :P

Interesting. Especially the part about Custodian being closed. :)

Scattered over whole Sirius are quite some good, new fighters in all classes, only need to be found, so ... explore, FreeLancer :D . If you make it to New London after mission 4, at some of the Bases are such fighters, not highest class, but - still NICCE.

Well, that's pretty much what I wanted to know. Though I hope I'll see something better than Defender on that base in the middle of mission 4 (Lane Hackers', as far as I remember).

On a regular base I finish mission 4 with a Startracker, Bloodhound or Dagger , even though the last takes some time to "work" my reputation to buy it. Once I even finished the whole vanilla storyline with it.

The thought of flying a low-level LIght Fighter scares me. Though it should be harder to hit than Defender. :)

There are CF added ships in original systems, purposedly usable in the original campaign. Up to you to explore and find sexy lower level ships that you can actually buy and improve your experience, in the same systems your campaign gets you through.

I'll go with this route, then.
    Though I took a liking to how a Titan from Custodian looks. :)

I completed vanilla FL a couple of times a while ago, and now I feel like looking at the new-and-improved SP content of Crossfire.

I'm still in NY, just completed mission 3 (it was quite a challenge to save that cruiser near Station Willard). If I remember correctly, the next mission will take me out of Liberty, and I'll have a tough fight with Bounty Hunters. I have 700k credits (which is appropriate for level 6) but I'm still flying a Defender which costs only like 22k. Is this the way it's supposed to be at this point of campaign? I mean, judging from level requirements I should already fly a far better ship, but I couldn't find any in Liberty space (well, except for a way too expensive Werevolf on Pittsburg and some weird freighter).

In fact, I got to Custodian (I remember it from my previous attempts in Crossfire) and found some VHFs (for 500k/700k), but now I feel they are too powerful for this time (9-10 level guns, 10k hitpoints and all - shouldn't they cost more?), and getting them from Custodian looks like a cheat (especially since here Access to Custodian system they say Custodian is not supposed to be available). And I don't like cheating. :)

So, am I going to have a hard time surviving in later missions if I resist temptation of Custodian's VHFs :) ? Or I'll be able to buy something decent soon after leaving Liberty?