Cloaking 2.0

There are 25 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Soul Eater.

• With Crossfire 2.0 we have redesigned the use of cloaking devices.

Red cloaking crystals are still required to cloak a ship. The amount depends on the type of the cloaking device and the ship that needs to be cloaked.
    Fighters require the smallest amount of crystals to start the cloaking process while with increasing size the ships require more crystals to activate cloaking. Large battleships require the highest amount of crystals.
    Crystals can be obtained from Inner Core like in CF1.9
    We are currently thinking about giving clans the opportunity to produce cloaking crystals on their clan station where they can be sold to clan members.

While fighters consume the smallest amount of cloaking crystals they are also going to be the fastest cloaking ships. Fighter cloaking devices have the shortest warmup phase and also the shortest cloaking sequence.
    Bigger ship classes require more time loading up energy to initiate the the cloaking. The cloaking sequence on these large ships also will take longer.
    It appeared logical to us that large ships require bigger cloaking devices which consume more energy and also require more time to get activated than the cloaking devices of small fighters.
    However, these large ship classes with their larger cloaking devices have one big advantage: they can stay cloaked for a longer period of time.
    As these ships move slower than the fast fighters their cloaking energy drains slower and allows them to stay cloaked longer.

The time fighters can be cloaked in CF2.0 has been increased. As already mentioned... other ship classes might stay cloaked even longer.

All cloaking devices share one disadvantage... their cooldown time. This is equal on all devices and prevents them from overheating.

Depending on how the changed cloaking devices will be used in CF2.0 gameplay the stats might get adjusted.
    Additionally to that we might allow clan members to upgrade their cloaking devices at clan bases so they gain improved stats. (we will see if this makes sense during active gameplay)

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Wow, awesome indeed, you yet passed the limits of Freelancer. ;)

• I want support in this Bond (red crystals as ammunition). This can also very nicely work with different amount of crystals needed for cloak different ship sizes like: VHF/Freighters - 5 crystals, Cruiser/Trains - 15 crystals, BS/Dreadnought - 25 crystals while max "ammunition" amount is 50. As I have and try regularly use cloaks on my ships (included one VHF), I can say that especially for VHFs its practically useless unless you hunt in Inner Core. With "indestructible" crystals I do not see any possible issue for RP due crystals limited amount and time needed for cooling down cloak after is used. Cloaking device is nice tactical tool (also costly = player need to gather alot of resources for access it), it would be rly nice, to made it for regular use during classic RP.

(such change fit also nice to extended radar ranges, new fine/tax system etc.)

... I do not see any possible issue for RP ...
    ... it would be rly nice, to made it for regular use during classic RP.

:S
    Hmm.., not sure if this is such a good idea.
    It would create a 2-class society on the server of the "HAVE IT" and "HAVE NOT"
    where (esp. long(er) standing) players WITH IT would have a "tactical tool", aka advantage,
    that would declassify players without (esp. newer ones) in an unfair degree.
    (...and therefor could drive them away - quickly)

Example :
    Pirate will tax
    player denys
    Pirate cloaks and kill since other player can't even "target" him.

We all knew that pvp- fights seldom last longer than 15 - 20 seconds.
    With one player sporting a cloaking device it wouldn't reach the 5 sec. count.

And

(also costly = player need to gather alot of resources for access it)

has even more the potential to create such a 2-class society on the server. :(
    But that's only my opinion.

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• Huor: crystals physically should be destructable (like normal ammunition or commodity when jettisoned). But if they are ammunition (and not commodity like it is now), then if player die and respawn, he will not lose them (ammunition, which was not used, will stay on player ship untouched)

@NucNuc:
    - when cloaked, you cannot use weapons ;) I have my own experience with cloak used on my side and also when "other" side use them. My suggestion is based on my in-game experience.
    - if player want, he need to do something and he have normal possibility to get his cloak. If he do not want it, its his decision. Its nothing about 2class society. Old players will have ALWAYS advantage(s), is nothing what can change this.
    - players still will need "help" to resupply these crystals because they normally can't be purchased on station (it mean usually will need help from another player). Difference will be, that they will be able use them regardless if been killed/die as long as they will have them loaded on theirs ships ammo boxes.

• @ Ice-Warrior
    Well, could also be used by police in the same way
    as described. :P

@ Martind
    And That

- when cloaked, you cannot use weapons ;)

make my objections - mostly - unneccessary :P

I'm fully aware of the "advantageous" position older players have and I don't deny or dipute it to them
    (perhaps envy it - a bit - -or a bit more :D ).
    I was just afraid, that the difference could become disencouraging newer players
    - becoming an "old seasoned veteran" by themself. 8).

Other than that :
    making/giving "red crystal" the properties of ammunition sounds good. :)

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

Actually i not see anyone to do PvP with cloak.

yeah, cloak works great :D

but in fact, i see he tactical advantage of a cloak more for the attacked players so that they could escape.

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

Dark Phoenix Clan introduction: link
    Sigma 17 Rules: link
    DP Recruiting Office: link

Events, Eventmanagers: link
    Event Rules: link

• Huor: thinking about this again, is possible "set" that Red crystals will stay in player ship cargo hold (as commodity like it is now), after is player killed? ... if this could be possible, then it will be even better. (As there is the Need to transport them from IC, and it is going on mostly with freighters and trains)

• yes, chrystals should be handled like ammunition (means not lost after got killed) but stored in cargo hold. if that is possible. if it is limited as ammunition is, then we will have problems to get them from IC to Sirius and have to increase the traffic.

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

Dark Phoenix Clan introduction: link
    Sigma 17 Rules: link
    DP Recruiting Office: link

Events, Eventmanagers: link
    Event Rules: link

• @ denne

... from IC to Sirius and have to increase the traffic

why not ? :D
    Could generate/initiate more playing in IC, perhaps as "regular" clan action, introducing new members ti IC, ...

But also consider this :

by OP
    We are currently thinking about giving clans the opportunity to produce cloaking crystals on their clan station where they can be sold to clan members.

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

• the crystals are commodities
    commodities always get removed when the player dies

only way i can think of is turning them into ammo which as far i can remember does not get removed
    but i dont know if the looting will work as intended and there might be a problem with ammo limits

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• yup, ammo is not removed.

Looting means possible problem with: Red asteroids dropping (may not) crystals if they are ammunition?
    Ammo limits: they are set "the same limit" for all ships?

• the limit for ships is certainly not an issue (this could be limited via volume)
    im more worried about limits for ammo and anticheat stuff

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• updated the cloaking energy to be considered an equipment instead of commodity
    this way the crystals very likely wont get lost when being killed

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,