This device does exactly what its name implies, it makes your ship invisible for certain amount of time (note: for fighters it is thirty seconds). Your ship still physically exists!, but is not visible and is not shown on the scanner! After the device has been used, it needs 600 seconds to cool down. Purpose for this device is to offer a tactical advantage, but can't assure invulnerability! You should also know a few more details about this device:
- Assembling of the device requires three special "unequipped" parts (Cloaking Device Reflector, Cloaking Device Crystal and Cloaking Device Components) and approx 120M credits (but will take only 100M) on your character (ship). Hint: these special parts weren't developed by humans and can't be found in human controlled Crossfire Universe Sectors.
- Each device part costs 50M credits.
- Assembling is done AUTOMATICALLY if the conditions above are met and you dock to a base and undock!
- Once assembled, the device becomes an integral part of your actual ship and CAN'T BE REMOVED OR TRANSFERRED!!! If you sell your ship or buy another one, you will loose the cloaking device.
- For use of the cloaking device you need to have onboard of your ship enough of red crystals. These are store as an ammunition (max 50), and each needs one unit of cargo space!
- activation of cloaking is done via ingame console, list of commands: here.
- Red Crystals can be obtained mainly** from mining in red asteroid fields. All those fields (five in total) aren't in human controlled Crossfire Universe Sectors.
- Any ship that is equipped with a cloaking device does use the "uncloak effect" each time when you un-dock from a base/planet, leave a jump gate/hole, and when another player comes into your ships scanner range (he will see uncloak effect). This effect doesn't use any of the red crystals in your ship ammunition.
Changes done in CF mod version 2.0:
New Red Crystals are on ships stored as an ammunition (note: therefore you will not lose them with ship destruction!) and each ship can carry max 50 red crystals! Each Red Crystal will also take 1 from your ship's cargo-space. Amount of Crystals needed for one-time cloak depends about ships class (ex.: VHF need 10, BS 25) and there is different also length of cloak effect ... BSs have the longest cloak duration.
** with introduction of the clan stations, there exist also another way how to obtain red crystals. Clan stations can build special module (added as last) which allows production of red crystals. They can be then purchased as an ammunition.