Roleplay vs Reputation

There are 93 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by RonaldoDaVinci.

• I am totally confused already, especially with the fact that we cannot change things if something goes terrible wrong and affect game play in a such way.

And yes extended scanner range for scanning pirates, smugglers, mercs and freelancers, when it comes about police RP.
    Reason: Nobody wants to be "true" policeman these days...i know this is not an easy job and never was...

However idea sounds tempting to me, but I would say only this:
    Do not mess with things that cannot be comprehended in whole

But then again...bring it on! 8).

• From what i see, this will be more like Discovery i guess, where if you choose your side, you will be difficult to go around the whole universe due to active NPCs (lawful or unlawful). This will make certain license holder to camp around their friendly systems.
    If the amount of players are many, i think it should be ok, if they cooperate with each others to enter the hostile territory. But, if the amount of players is low, the chances of interaction will also be low, making the chances of actual RP also low.

Only "freelancer" has the freedom to go around or mapping i think. Therefore, its better not to mount any license first and just explore/mapping/buying equipments or ship for any new character created. Then, later decide what RP he wants.
    Just make that each character MUST mount a license, but at a certain time limit. Therefore, the chances of RP between all 4 licenses will be higher too, i guess. That means, no more "freelancer" ship around. Since, it is Crossfire, not Freelancer, i think that should be ok i think.

Anyway, i do support the idea btw...

• how everything works in detail is something that huor can explain best

maybe its possible to use this feature and still allow players to keep their freedom

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• I like challenges and this will be challenging :thumbsup:

Everybody needs to coorperate/interact more, to make things work regarding exploring, trading, fighting...

Only suggestion will be that Freelancers might need a license (trader!?), if it's an unchallenging choice.

About recruiting Freelancers, we need some Clan benefits. Both "clan-made" and "server-made" benefits (I think that server-made benefits are covered in CF 2.0, but idk - any spoilers ?).

PS. You should probably not take your ASF/CSF licensed ship to Altair, unless you like "super" challenges :D

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

• In the opening thread it's stated

We dont have the option to say "well, we could try it a bit and if we dont like it we can disable it again". Once we activated it the reputations of all active chars will be adjusted to the settings above. There is no simple way to revert these changes.

Would it be possible for the team - or some "testers" - to test it in advance - somehow ?
    Not the server setting on the whole, like "fixed setting" against "ranged setting", but
    just to get a feeling, how it is to fly, fight and trade with such a set of reputation settings ?

btw : I would also vote for YES
    BRING IT ON

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• Quote from The Original

From what i see, this will be more like Discovery i guess, where if you choose your side, you will be difficult to go around the whole universe due to active NPCs (lawful or unlawful). This will make certain license holder to camp around their friendly systems. If the amount of players are many, i think it should be ok, if they cooperate with each others to enter the hostile territory. But, if the amount of players is low, the chances of interaction will also be low, making the chances of actual RP also low.

Its only something what come to my mind today: -> what if will be set as really hostile only some factions such way:

Police vs Corsairs - all time hostile
    Police vs Outcasts- all time hostile
    Police vs other criminals - range from hostile to "0"

Pirates vs Liberty (navy, police) - all time hostile
    Pirates vs Rheinland (navy, police) - all time hostile
    Pirates vs other lawful - range from hostile to "0"

... this will be ways less limiting as original setting and still will set some areas where police or pirates will need to deal with theirs most deadly factions.

• But in Sirius you often meet a mixture of ships of different factions in one place - and if one of them is hostile, others can start attacking you too. Since many groups are spread all over Sirius, it's hard to tell which areas will be really safe or dangerous for someone with certain reputation.

(Just something to take into account; there must be safe trade routes for police/pirates as well)

- Wanderer -

• wanderer is right with that
    allied factions assist each other

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I suggested exactly for this reason (allied factions) only 2 Sirius houses as enemy. On other side is here one small thing which also can be seen as important: police as also pirates will be not able "camp" too long into regions where hostile factions are "home". BUT ... radars will have significantly longer scan range, so both mentioned RPs will be able stay in solid enough range from dock points (example: pirate staying far enough away from New Berlin docking ring) and do strike (tax), but will need shortly after leave. Similar - police will need stay away from Planet Malta if not want fight Outcasts all the time. I'm sure that players which trade often can find out this as very positive change. I myself see possibility that player will simply cannot "camp" in some areas as very good thing.

Edit by
    one more example: Pirate will be able find and kill police in Vega system, but he will not want stay docked there. Opposite - police player will go and kill pirate in Enyo, but is doubtful that he will stay there. --> much less endless fights in these places. (it mean that pirate as also police will need to do role-play and not only PvP as may be seen very often now.

• Pirates/Smugglers should be hunted by all Military/Police and vice versa. Why would they ignore each other? Doesn't make any sense.

A stubborn enough person can survive just about anything. Rage is a hell of an anaesthetic.

• I think it would be a great idea due to the dynamicness of it, and in theory would work well, but in practice I think it might cause more problems in the long run due to creating too many restrictions and limitations of where people can go in the universe. Ultimately only freelancers have true freedom but pirates and police would be very limited.

Would it be possible to make the licenses give a set increase/decrease so cops/pirates would just have to work harder to become friendly with the opposite factions?

• huor worked on a different setup which is less restrictive

it does not focus on forcing enemy factions to be hostile... instead it prevents that enemy factions can become friendly
    so whats the difference? -> the possibility to become neutral

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• @ Kalisie

Ultimately only freelancers have true freedom but pirates and police would be very limited.

That way we would have a true new, fith RP-role with a "speciality" of its own : Freelancing Trader
    The one who can go everywhere, get everything (goods, "special equipment") beside BMGs
    and
    deliver it everywhere ;) -> a new "role"

@OP

it does not focus on forcing enemy factions to be hostile... instead it prevents that enemy factions can become friendly
    so whats the difference? -> the possibility to become neutral

hmm, but that wouldn't have much on an impact on gameplay compared to how it is atm.
    One would get the license, "work" his reputation until neutral and, ... that's it.
    Gameplay would be just the same as it is right now, wouldn't ?
    ...beside that you can't get a contradicting affiliation like : RP=police, affiliation=Outcast or Junkers.

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• but you wouldnt be limited where to travel

its kinda a compromise

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• ... that would "bust" the effect this feature would have, which is exactly that :
    limiting the freedom to travel - "unharrased" - by certain npc factions,
    which would be an enrichment fpr RP - IMHO.

Sry to be so neagtive about this compromise.
    Unfortunatly I don't have a clever idea yet, how to "balance" it.

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

• @NucNuc: this is it, no one know how to properly balance it. It may be not so bad for police due a fact that criminals do not have many allies (if any), but police factions have many allies. It can perfectly work for freelancers, .. but the biggest effect it will have on clan players. I also do not think it will prevent possibility travel (aka explore) but will affect trade for sure. Still, we do not have any experience how this will work "in real".

hmm ... SWAT_OP-R8R: if there will be set reputation intervals, could be these intervals changed? (i.e.: test with "hostile" setting 2 months and then decide if use or is needed to go for neutral setting?) ... like we had with inertia in 1.9.

• sure that stuff can be adjusted
    BUT
    the original reputations you had can not be restored when we start to use this feature

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,