Roleplay vs Reputation

There are 93 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by RonaldoDaVinci.

• Since Crossfire 1.9 we have a server feature that would allow us to adjust Player reputations according to the used Roleplay license.
    The thing is... we never activated this feature on the server to allow players a free play and own Reputation decisions.

With CF2.0 we will clearly use this feature.
    The question is in which way we will do that.
    I can tell you what the current setting looks like.

a) you mount an ASF license -> this makes you friendly to ASF but hostile to CSF
    b) you mount a CSF license -> this makes you friendly to CSF but hostile to ASF

Thats a given fact... thats how it will be in CF2.0

The question is if we apply this feature to the other Roleplay licenses aswell.
    So that the police license makes police factions friendly but pisses off all the pirates... or the pirate license will get you hunted by police npcs but pirate npcs will be friendly.
    Its not an easy decision if we want to go with such a feature.
    One one side its more realistic and for sure more interesting ... on the other side it limits the players and the regions where they can go to.
    Biggest impact in my eyes does it have on the pirate players since most of the stations and planets belong to police factions or factions which are at good terms with the cops.
    Just alone the house worlds are clearly dominated by lawful forces.

Below is an overview of a possible setup for the Reputation system.
    There you can see in which way the reputations would change when using a license (which is required if players want to take part in roleplay).

The use of roleplay licenses in CF2.0 is handled a bit different than in CF1.9.
    Players wont see their own license icon above their ships anymore but they will be able what licenses other players have mounted.
    The license display will scale depening on the range to the other players which means you can see other Roleplayers from a good distance.
    Many new functions are bound to the licenses... such as new tax and fine commands which practically will be the only way to do police and pirate roleplay in future.
    Players which dont have a proper license mounted are considered "Freelancers"/Traders and can not make use of any adv. Roleplay features.
    Clan members have to have the license of their clan mounted. A member of a police clan has to mount a police license. The server is not going to permit anything else.

But i think... the Reputation stuff above right now is the most important topic here.
    We dont have the option to say "well, we could try it a bit and if we dont like it we can disable it again". Once we activated it the reputations of all active chars will be adjusted to the settings above. There is no simple way to revert these changes.

If we decide for such a feature then this will be a final decision with all consequences.
    Right now you have the choice... and atm there is still the possibility to do adjustments to the settings.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Some questions on that :

What about Coalition and Coalition Rogues ?
    What about all the civilian factions :
    DSE, Interspace, BMM, GMG (the "vanilla" faction as well as the "special CF" faction)
    etc., etc., ....

and more general :

will these settings be "fixed" in the sense, that "reputational work" like
    bribes or killing other factions (like killing xenos becoming > better with almost everybody else)
    will NOT have an impact on your reputation anymore ?

What happens when you dismount your licence ?
    Can the above mentioned "mechanics" on reputational work affect you standing with nps factions again ?
    What when you REmount your licence after such a reputational work again ?

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• since i am a merc and because this new feature seems not to affect my good reputation with Corsairs (although i finally got a Bounty-Hunters-affiliation 8) ) and other criminals, i could say "nvm, just do it!". but in the name of fair-play i suggest to change this small detail so that the criminals are at least not too friendly to merces.

could it be possible to fix my rep with criminals (or law-keepers on the other hand) by killing players with police-license (or pirate-license on the other hand)?

all in all i like the idea a lot. it is not logical to be a cop having a criminals-affiliation (and vice versa).

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

Dark Phoenix Clan introduction: link
    Sigma 17 Rules: link
    DP Recruiting Office: link

Events, Eventmanagers: link
    Event Rules: link

• the above listed reputations will be fixed
    the relation to factions are either hostile or friendly... you can not change that
    pirate factions wont become friendlier when you try to bribe them or kill npcs
    the reputation would always reset to the values above as long you are wearing the license

if you dont use the license anymore you can try to fix your reputation in whatever way you want... BUT:
    - Clan members are not free to change roleplay or play without license
    - fixing reputation to be fully neutral again for sure takes some time
    - without mounted license you can not take part in any RP (other than being robbed by pirates)

When you tried to fix your reputation to be neutral again and mount a license again your changes of course get replaced by the fixed reputation settings.

Factions that are not listed under "police", "merc", "pirate" or "smuggler" in the settings above are not fixed
    you can fully take influence on these factions and change their reputations like before.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that gameplay is also affected by the licenses.
    Pirate players have the ability to jam the sensors of Freelancers and Smugglers while police players have better chances to detect pirates on their scanners. Mercs also have increased sensor performances.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• OMG...

Though my first reaction was "crap, this will mess me up", this actually opens up a whole new array of opportunities and will make the gameplay more interesting and dynamic, not to mention that the old asses like me who are used to doing things a certain way will be forced to look for new ways of handling things...

I'd say, implement it.

|DP|Shock · |DP|Shockwave · |DP|Skyfall · |DP|Red.Dwarf

• Fixed rep means next issues:

• trading in areas with stronger NPCs will be for pirates practically impossible. Counting a fact that clan members will need to trade for making conquest system working it imo represents serious issue and disadvantage to them. Especially when there is so much areas controlled by "police" factions. Some know freelancer pirates could fully ignore that, but is really good idea to made clan bases build made for pirates clans harder as for other RPs?
    • chasing players in areas with "hostile" NPCs will be for pirates highly questionable. They will be practically without a chance due constant CD disruption and attacked in some major systems all the time = force them to avoid them.
    • ship purchase: for pirates will be possible buy some ships only prior they will equip theirs license (or temporary unequip).

... this above looks to me very hard for pirate RP on first sight. (I know that new RP system give them perfect possibilities for doing pirate RP included taxing, but problems with so much hostile NPCs may prevent them to do this). Some old pirates may still find a way how to live with this, but what with new ppl?

Questions:

• Reputation -0.30 represents -3 bars? (border when is possible to buy ammo and ships on bases?) ... It also means that -3 bars are still "neutral" .. right?
    • Will be player able to dock on bases made as hostile by license? ... in 1.9 it is possible. (if no, next question is not actual, but still he may try "temporary" unequip his license in system)
    • What if player temporary remove license on base? Will he to be able buy ships, equipment if he buy a bribe for a base owner?
    • What with actually existing chars? (will reputation change apply automatically too?)

Suggestion: Could be possible think about change pirates reputation lowering to -0,3 "only" like it have police? ... or is there some other idea?

• as i understood, the rep will not change when u unequip the license. but u can fix the rep later with the usual killing/bribing/shooting depots/accepting and declining missions. unequipping the lic. for a short moment to buy a ship won't work in this case. and for clan-members: unequipping the lic. will lead to ban/kick, as mentioned in another thread.

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

Dark Phoenix Clan introduction: link
    Sigma 17 Rules: link
    DP Recruiting Office: link

Events, Eventmanagers: link
    Event Rules: link

• to my knowledge can players dock even hostile stations
    the faction restrictions should not be active in MP ... this means that players actually can even buy stuff from these bases (even if its hostile)
    im sure you can test this on CF1.9
    we have not changed this behaviour

the point with being constantly disturbed is of course valid .... for pirates more than for police

Edit by
    Huor informed me that its possible to config the setting in a way that reps can be changed either up or down.
    e.g. so that a faction can be neutral, the player could turn it friendly... but it could never go hostile
    or
    e.g. the faction is neutral... the player could turn it hostile... but it never could go over the neutral state to become friendly
    In which way this would help... dunno yet... need to think about it

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• @ Martind

Suggestion: Could be possible think about change pirates reputation lowering to -0,3 "only" like it have police? ... or is there some other idea?

From RP-context it would look more consistent, if police-RP would be lowered to -0,65 on pirate factions.
    That would give them in pirate npc infested systems (i.e. the X-systems, the omegas, ...) similar disadvantages.

trading in areas with stronger NPCs will be for pirates practically impossible. Counting a fact that clan members will need to trade for making conquest system working it imo represents serious issue and disadvantage to them. Especially when there is so much areas controlled by "police" factions. Some know freelancer pirates could fully ignore that, but is really good idea to made clan bases build made for pirates clans harder as for other RPs?

Could be "fixed" by the suggestion above - at least partially - by giving police-RP similar disadvantages in certain systems.
    Also :
    What about hiring a trader or smuggler for getting needed components ? ;)

ship purchase: for pirates will be possible buy some ships only prior they will equip theirs license (or temporary unequip).

Dunno, but I think that would apply only for ONE DISTINCT VHF of the range of "mostly used fighters". ^^

@ OP

... this means that players actually can even buy stuff from these bases (even if its hostile)

But as I remember, you can trade goods on this stations, get your ship repaired as well but you can't buy weapons, ammo even shield batteries and nanobots if you're -0,3 or lower. (I would be happy an recents MP-player could prove me wrong.)

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• - in 1.9 MP (atm) you can dock also on fully red base. But there you cannot buy equipment (included bots/bats), ammunitions and ships or take missions in bar. Lowest possible rep when you are still able buy equipment ammunition and ships is -3 bars. Dunno when you can take missions.

@NucNuc: this hire merc will very likely not work for "conquest system" special cargo delivery. I thought too about this idea.

If there is possible to set reputation interval for npcs factions for different RPs , then it may work very well. If you set the cap to -2 (or -3 ... interesting idea) bars (hostile-neutral) then pirate/police can do fully his RP, but he will need to be VERY careful when he will operate in "unfriendly" environment. This is imo fully OK ... he will have chance to do his RP, if he will really take care about his reputation with NPC factions.

• Hello,
    in my opinion the license-based reputation changes can have a negative impact on gameplay, namely in

1) trading: it would be impossible to trade in areas patrolled by hostile factions, and more difficult to choose the way for long multi-system runs;
    2) upgrading: it would be impossible to buy a specific ship or piece of equipment sold in only one place if the base owner says "you must be on friendlier terms" (this also applies to containers for trains);
    3) exploration: it would be harder to map all systems in Sirius when some factions are hostile because of your license.

Together this can result in considerable inequality between different RP sides by introducing limits or inconveniences in non-RP (!) aspects of the game. And since clan members would be doomed to live with certain limits, this might even discourage new players from joining clans.

One one side its more realistic and for sure more interesting ... on the other side it limits the players and the regions where they can go to.

Guess I just described the second part of this sentence in more detail :verrueckt: Anyway, the idea is that while realism is a purely conceptual improvement, it can cause a number of very non-conceptual in-game problems like mentioned above - and feeling more realistic is not an adequate compensation for them.

Besides, outside RP situations all players must have equal rights and freedoms - that's how it should be on an "Open RP" server... I think.

- Wanderer -

Edit by
    A LOT of new replies were submitted while I was typing 8| sorry if I repeat what someone already said.

Edited once, last by (IOC)Wanderer: corrections ().

• it would help more if you could think of changing the way you fly now. The changes for sure would make it more complicated travel to hostile space - but well its an MP game and so it could help to let others join. So could pirates hire mercs if they need protection - now there would be more sense to use it.

Just saying dont be so shy to try new stuff. Universe is changing every now and then and so brings new things... standing still wont make you good in a changing environment^^

signature.png

• I just checked it... the limitation for ship and equipment purchases is just a matter of market settings
    currently set to -0,3
    lowering this value would certainly allow you to buy stuff even if you are totally hostile

the missions on a base however are a different topic
    NPCs wont offer missions if you are hostile
    and the job board wont display missions if you are hostile with the station owner

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• @ Huor

In a way it would make the gameplay really something new.
    worth restarting a"brand new life" with new chars :D

@ OP

Then , ... if set to -0,295, FINE,
    only the prob of a dozen npc's shooting CDs left :P and the shooting while docking/undocking.
    (Well, something we should be used too due to experiances with DK Gunboats in Coalition-space, shouldn't we ? ;)

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

Edited once, last by NucNuc: . ().

• btw. the settings above are just an example
    its something we (the community) worked on 3 years ago in a different thread

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• @Martind

this hire merc will very likely not work for "conquest system" special cargo delivery. I thought too about this idea.

COULD work if combined with cargo transfer :
    Smuggler/merc delivers stuff to a certain point, employer "takes" cargo via transfer and delivers it to the clan base.
    Perhaps a bit complicated but would work for "normal" goods - but not for containers, I assume.

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

• Brand new, lurking for awhile, and really excited.

On this topic: I would think pirates could buy fake id's to do their business in the core worlds... maybe with a timer? and if they run the tax command they lose it?

• SWAT_OP-R8R: is possible update first post with possibilities how this system can be set? I see huge difference between use fixed reputation values and use fixed reputation intervals. If is possible go for ''intervals'', then reputation system can be great thing imo. Players still will have possibility to work on theirs reputation (in given borders) with npcs, but there will be significant difference how much they can change them for different server role-plays.

I know how it may be tempting go for solution when police rp will be hostile with criminals and pirates opposite to 'lawfull' factions all the time, but my experience tells me that this can be fun/interesting for clan members only for a short/limited time (talking mainly about pirates and police). They don't have possibility use chars with different rps and it will push them out of clans back to freelancing (or doing only pvps :( ). ... and without strong pirates and police clan(s) you can't expect working role-play on server.