Crossfire Wiki

There are 92 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by denne.

• With CF2.0 I'd like to introduce an information system for players.
    We had the old CF database till CF1.8 and later PX used to run a Crossfire Wiki.
    However, all of that is extremely outdated.

There is the need of a new Wiki and I want that it is being build by the players.
    The wiki will be part of the Portal as i want everything to be centralized.
    Ive restructured the existing SWAT Wiki to allow the use of categories. One will be for CF.
    index.php?page=Article&articleID=944&languageID=1

You are free to contribute and help us to help other players.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• This when 2.0 come out or want add also actual data from 1.9?

• Its possible to start this already since not everything changed.
    Storyline... factions... weapons... commodities... etc.
    most of that stayed the same

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Hmmm.... Maybe I will contribute, if you won't mind... EDIT: Done. Can anyone tell me how to create article inside subcategories?

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

Edited once, last by Ajay: _ ().

• the existing subcats can be edited in order to place a link to an article which belongs to it ive added your article meanwhile to the weapons category If you want to add images to your articles (which for sure would make everything more interesting) you can upload the image to your user gallery can. There you can find on the lower right side a container called "share" with the code to embed this image anywhere on the portal (including the wiki). Just copy it and paste it into the wiki. Depending on the needs for the articles you can even change the images sizes on your gallery by clicking on the "all sizes" button (which would allow you either to use the original size or a thumbnail)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• And what stuff which is now in Lexicon ? ... I expect that more ships will change, but still majority will remain. And there is also other stuff included equipment and commodities. Counting a fact that lexicon entries can be linked directly to any of post automatically isn't way how to link Wiki and Lexicon?

Edit by

I added to Weapons category link to Lexicon:

Code
    1. [lexicon]Ancient Energy Canon[/lexicon]

Edit by

Edit by
    ... dunno if this is proper way. Suggestions?

Edit by
    I also see that in wiki article not work "preview" info from lexicon. On forum it still works like example: Coalition (move cursor only on it)

• the wiki does not have the neccessary code to show previews (it might be possible to change that)

however, while linking the wiki with the lexicon looks like a good idea on the first view it also has some draw backs.
    - people would not be able to use the wiki search to find information since the information is stored on the lexicon instead
    - once redirected to the lexicon you can not simply switch back to the wiki (if you click on the breadcrumbs you will always end on the lexicon but never on the wiki)
    - the wiki meanwhile contains a feature (i build such a feature yesterday) to switch back to previous visited page which should make browsing through the articles much more comfortable

The lexicon honestly would be my choice over the wiki IF there would be a better category system. It just looks chaotic.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• honestly having twice the information on two different subsystems is not a good idea. It makes maintenance only complicated.
    for my understanding the wiki is not so good implemented - especially the category system is terrible. A mediawiki for example would be much more comfortable (like wikipedia is using).

The lexicon is quite OK and the categories are in place there. Thats just my impression.

signature.png

• ... Only suggestion how to put add for a Lexicon "better menu"

• the use of mediawiki is absolutely no option
    its not part of the community software and is not really compatible with the portal framework

the use of a tab menu is for sure interesting but where do you want to put it?
    (the above mentioned problems remain)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Will be possible insert Tabmenu on Lexicon top?
    Back button in Wiki will return you to previous page (i.e. if you edit post, you will be returned back to "edit" menu ... it is ok?) ... can be added "something" similar (maybe more simple) to lexicon which will return you to "top" where will be tab menu?
    Search function ... basic search "in lexicon" you can do using browser, I'm unsure which details needs ppl search in wiki/lexicon.

Edit by
    In my previous post were added categories for ships and BSs lexicon entries. Fill this tab-menu need some time, but can be done relative easily

• no its not possible to to include it into the top of the lexicon... at least not in a way that where it can be edited yes... back leads to the last page.. thats normal since a wiki has no real hierarchy (also a reason why you will never find breadcrumbs on a wiki)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Then I can have solution :) at least for part of problems:

Tab-menu will be in Wiki "main" article" (ofc only in case that there works tabmenu)
    Into lexicon entries will be added on the end "clickable picture"/button leading to Wiki main article. .. this mean edit all entries but I can do it.

Wiki have some features which are nice, but imo Lexicon offers here on portal more. Searching feature will in Wiki limited, but still can be used. If you will search details, you can do it easily use search when you are in Lexicon.

• still does not solve the above mentioned problems (search, misleading breadcrumbs, links not leading back to the wiki etc.)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Search only using portal "search function" ... but this one imo works very good (tested already directly in lexicon).
    Is a way to have in wiki only main menu (tab-menu)? ... will be easily editable and can be added new things there.
    Links will then lead to "main menu" in wiki and/or to others entries which are in Lexicon. Maybe it sounds complicated, but imo it looks "functional".

.. added few details to tab-menu for Tab "systems"

Edit by
    I will evening update one Lexicon entrie with 2 buttons (style like are in my siggy) leading back to category and back to main menu. This will do 'movement' much easier and is matter copy/paste for other records.

Edit by

Edit by
    We will have then CF 'database' which will be(can be) linked with normal posts on forum, will have editable main menu and working movement between articles, categories and main menu. I see tab-menu function as rly great thing which offer allot possibilities and imo it looks 'proffesional' :). Main advantage use it with 'lexicon entires' is imo much easier editable code comparing with need add whole links. Last thing which tells for use lexicon as place for single entries is a fact that we have there more as 700 entries.

• portal search is actually not a standardized search
    infact the search parameters change depending where you are on the portal
    if you are on the portal the entire framework is searched
    on forums it might be (depending on where exactly you are) that only specific parts of the forum get searched
    if you are on the wiki then the search is focusing on wiki entires
    some for database and other parts of the portal

having only a tab menu in wiki is not possible and clearly not what i want
    I honestly can not imagine any way to get the functions of the wiki and the lexicon linked without massive side effects

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• OK, ... so what with actual entries in Lexicon? Is possible move/copy them to wiki? (maybe move, but dunno in this. Lexicon can serve 'only' as place for most important entries which will be possible link 'automatically' with posts).

And if will be wiki 'main source' for entries, is use tab-menu as 'main menu' possible? To be honest I like this portal feature much more as sw between different pages.

• try it with the category and you will see if it works on the wiki

same with copy/paste

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• dont understand why we should have redundant data available that needs twice the effort to maintain. Twice the effort to add, twice the effort to delete, twice the effort to review...
    The category system on the lexicon is a lot better than on the wiki and the wiki is just an article system.

Like the entry from Ajay - Coalition Gatlin. Its a weapon but is just an article under C, but should be better in the category weapons. But instead there is just a link to the C category.
    Why not improve the lexicon instead?

signature.png

• coz the lexicon is a chaotic piece of crap that practically nobody used during the past years for the fact that it takes ages to find valuable information
    the lexicon serves its purpose... to crosslink information on the portal... for better explanation and guidance

to improve the lexicon would in first place require to know how that can be done, takes probably several months, violates the license agreements (as its a commercial product) and would clearly make it incompatible for every possible developer updates in the future.

im not quiet sure why you suggested mediawiki if redundant data is such a big problem... its exactly what mediawiki would cause plus the need of having an additional user management system

guess what, if the creation of a bit information for other players is such a big problem then forget it.
    this discussion is just wasting my time.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,