PSU died so I built a computer!

There are 49 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Huor.

• So my old PC's (Athelon x64, 3GB DDR2 RAM, RadeonHD 4650) PSU died in piece (leaving my components intact!) so I decided to change the PSU and hand it over to my brother as a gift..... or actually just mainly an excuse to spend my money on a computer rather than getting him a gift with money lol. So I decided to put around $910 two weeks ago and I built it successfully (all issues I had got resolved a few days ago, my case top was defective and just got it replaced). So here's the part list of the machine that will eat CF alive!

Parts:
    [box=yellow]CPU:Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Canada Computers)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Memory:Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Storage:Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Video Card:Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($209.88 @ Canada Computers)
    Case:NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Power Supply:Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($95.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Total: $910.80
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)[/box]

Here are some pics!

[box=yellow]A Proud Member of the Lost Prophets Pirate Clan![/box]

[box=blue]Also Proud Leader of the CSF Faction![/box]

{LP} is recruiting! Please visit here for more details!

Arrrrrrrrrrrr Maty!

• Nice setup :) .. enjoy playing m8! :thumbup:

• Looks good so far, but you will fall short in your power using on 620w. Add the power specs up for your machine. The 7870 requires 600w without any higher end components, which you have. So you won't get the power you need to run your machine at proper potential. I would shoot for a 950 or even 1100 black widow. You need the power for the pipes m8 or you're not getting what you paid for.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• Nice pc.....I'm jealous

Hope we see ya around :)

I roam space in search of adventure and treasure.

{LP}Marauder{X} of the Lost Prophets

MARAUDER n 1: someone who attacks in search of booty
    "marauder": Syn: bandit, buccaneer, desperado, forager, looter, pillager, pirate, plunderer, predator, raider

FYI: Lost Prophets are currently recruiting, please talk with a representative online :D

• Looks good so far, but you will fall short in your power using on 620w. Add the power specs up for your machine. The 7870 requires 600w without any higher end components, which you have. So you won't get the power you need to run your machine at proper potential. I would shoot for a 950 or even 1100 black widow. You need the power for the pipes m8 or you're not getting what you paid for.

My estimated wattage is in the 350w range, I've used two different power calculators and everything is running at its tops so far

Arrrrrrrrrrrr Maty!

• Nice setup :) .. enjoy playing m8! :thumbup:

What gunny said. Anyways, the spec is fine to run anything these days.

Nice pc.....I'm jealous

Hope we see ya around :)

Thanks guys :D

Arrrrrrrrrrrr Maty!

• Am I the only one who bought a PC without the older one getting broken ?

Well, though my newer PCs were laptops, the desktop had like 7-8 years, and it was still alive and used daily (in the house), until the new desktop PC arrived.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Gunny is right.
    I wouldnt risk it using only a 620w PSU for that kind of a rig. I myself am using a Corsair GS700 with a Core i7 2600K and a GTX 570. It is good to have some overhead power remaining from the PSU, it will give your parts a longer life expectancy. But otherwise yours is a pretty boss rig ;)

sigsuy.png
    [headline][/headline]
    Need to repair a battleship in Inner Core? Contact me for free repairs!

Crossfire Film Union --> CrossfireFilmUnion

My YouTube --> VishnuCF

• Nice PC m8.... :bidioticsmile:

I'm not gonna upppgrade before i see what Haswell can do this spring.

My estimated wattage is in the 350w range

Yeah...i got the euro version of the Kill-A-Wattwattage monitor and it is saying that my rig are using 270-290W...and i think that the PCU power levels are just marketing...but you need a better pcu if you want to connect more graphic cards tho because it is hard to find anything under 800-1200W that got the extra slots for 8x6-8x8 pin sli/crossfire

I Don't Need To "Get A Life." I'm A Gamer. I Have Lots Of Lives! :D

It can be good rebels like in starwars :thumbup:

Plz visit >>> United Rebels - Portal

Intel i7-4930k| Corsair H80 liquid cooling with 2x Noctuna NF-F12 Industrial | Rog Rampage IV Extreme| Corsair Vengance 32gb 4x8gb| 2x EVGA Classified GTX 980ti SLI| Corsair 1050w silver-80 PCU | about 30TB storage (Seagate Archive) (for p-rat torrents 24/7 when not playing CF offc) | a 240GB Rog Raidr pci-e for Windows 10 Pro upgraded from win7 With Classic Shell to give me the XP/Win7 start menu and a Aero hack to make everything gloss "ish" | all in a NZXT Phantom Big tower (black) connected to a 55" Panasonic TX-P55VT60Y Plasma TV.

Edited 3 times, last by [UR]GrandAndreasK: - ().

• Gunny is right.
    I wouldnt risk it using only a 620w PSU for that kind of a rig. I myself am using a Corsair GS700 with a Core i7 2600K and a GTX 570. It is good to have some overhead power remaining from the PSU, it will give your parts a longer life expectancy. But otherwise yours is a pretty boss rig ;)

Thanks guys!

Ah ok I see what you guys are saying, I know I'm a bit too weak with the PSU but I was on a budget lol. I'll probably upgrade my PSU before I'd upgrade anything else in the coming years :P but for now it's enough juice

Arrrrrrrrrrrr Maty!

• And be sure to get something with a single rail to provide equal amps to all your PC parts. Cheaping out on a PSU is a big nono :tot:.
    Get one from reputed brands such as Seasonic, XFX (their PSUs are made by Seasonic), Corsair or NZXT.

As Grand said, it is always better to keep some headroom for upgrading. Crysis 3 is just around the corner and it is sure to bring PCs to their knees :P

sigsuy.png
    [headline][/headline]

My YouTube --> VishnuCF

• And be sure to get something with a single rail to provide equal amps to all your PC parts. Cheaping out on a PSU is a big nono :tot:.
    Get one from reputed brands such as Seasonic, XFX (their PSUs are made by Seasonic), Corsair or NZXT.

As Grand said, it is always better to keep some headroom for upgrading. Crysis 3 is just around the corner and it is sure to bring PCs to their knees :P

My PSU is not cheeped out :P. It's the Antec HCG series based on the modular Seasonic 620w OEM power supply, and it is single rail, it cost $95 ;)

Arrrrrrrrrrrr Maty!

• My PSU is Cooler Master, same as the CPU cooler... it is good at cooling, so it should go well with the PSU :D

At least I'm not afraid of Crysis 3, let it come, baby !

Anyway, I may be waiting for Skymont tech/CPUs to appear before I buy another PC :P

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• if intel does indeed switch over to processors soldered onto the motherboard for their 5th gen processors i will have to start using amd. i dont want to have to buy a new mobo AND processor just to upgrade :@

i dont think l4s0r based computers/quantum computers will become popular in the domestic market any time soon after it is released. at the current rate stuff is becoming more efficient such as the kepler architecture and now soon haswell. i doubt people will readily like to jump over to energy hog laser PCs :P

sigsuy.png
    [headline][/headline]

My YouTube --> VishnuCF

• Lol?

I have read some weird shit in this thread. 620w PSU is more than enough.

Enjoy your newly built PC.

Yayyyyyyy! Thanks!

Arrrrrrrrrrrr Maty!

• post some benchmark results to see new rig power!

• post some benchmark results to see new rig power!

Using what tool? :P Off the top of my head I know I'm getting over 65 FPS in GTA IV.... an arch enemy of mine >:D

Arrrrrrrrrrrr Maty!