PSU died so I built a computer!

There are 49 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Huor.

• But GTA IV is half a decade old now, it can't give problems to anything now.

Anyway, try using some graphic benchmark like "Uningine: Heaven" works really smooth, and for general PC stats, try CPU-Z :D

You can find a pack of graphic card benchmarking here, including the uniginine ones for each DirectX including 11: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/Benchmarking/

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

Edited once, last by Michael: . ().

• I used 3D Mark 11 and got a decent score I guess... :P

[box=yellow]A Proud Member of the Lost Prophets Pirate Clan![/box]

[box=blue]Also Proud Leader of the CSF Faction![/box]

{LP} is recruiting! Please visit here for more details!

Arrrrrrrrrrrr Maty!

SLI / CrossFire
    Off

OH, You got CrossFire OFF ?
    How can you play CF like that ?

*fake sad face*

It's nice you got a bit more graphic capacity than mine, but a lot less physics capacity.
    That means both of us can play anything including Crysis 3, but I can force physics like in Crysis's dev mode, spawn more stuff and make videos like this:
    [video]

[/video]

Which is mainly thx to the CPU, rather than the graphic card.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• but can it run minecraft?

...... crap :P

Well I have yet to overclock my CPU (It's an unlocked CPU), I can OC it into the 4 GHz range :P

Arrrrrrrrrrrr Maty!

• Only in the 4 Gh range ? You can do that even with a normal CPU, non K version, better use your CPU to death and overclocke it more :P

I did overclock mine, non K i7 version (you can see my setup on another thread) up to 4.3 Gh, perfectly stable, without touching the BCLK part. For me I keep it in the safe zones, because I want it to live for long. Overclocking more (on an unlocked CPU) won't break it or burn it (unless you don't use a powerful cooler, not the CPU box version), but it makes the CPU live shorter, apparently much shorter, but those who can spend extra for an unlocked one, usually don't care about this since they plan to buy another one before it breaks :D

Btw , when overclocking, also speed up your RAM from 1333 Mhz (your current speed) to at least 1600, as any RAM is made for that speed, if yours can do more (didn't check the model), go higher, like 2400 or 2600 :D Don't worry, if you do this part wrong won't hurt your RAM, the system will simply not boot, reset to default itself, and say that you did it wrong, lol, at least for me.

• lol I meant 4ghz range :P I've read you can safely OC to 4.5 GHz+. Also it's DDR3-1600, so I probably OC it to 2400 at least :P

Arrrrrrrrrrrr Maty!

• No no no you can't overclock RAM.

If it says DDR3 1600, then that's the max it will go, the memory is not some processor or something you can overclock. You can go higher only if it's written on it that it has 2133 or 2600 Mhz. You are using it now at 1333 Mhz, that's why in the 3D mark benchmark it said 667 Mhz speed (the real value measurable is half).

Anyway, you can still try to put a higher value than 16, it shouldn't break, it should just restart saying the boot values were wrong, like how it said to me :D

Anyway the Mhz don't really affect speed much, while the timings are the same (the ones you will see under the clock speed at RAM), if you make those a bit smaller, they will run faster, but just 1 number too small and you will have an unstable PC which's programs will suddenly vanish, and such. You can use "RAM Saver Professional" tool, from around the internet, I liked that it also comes with a RAM exact benchmark, so you can test there some data x 10 times, to see if it's stable, and how fast it goes.

• So, any news ?

Did you overclock everything, how is it going in 3d mark ?

Can it run Crysis 3 in what the game-o-meter says ?

Crysis 3 PC Game System Requirements

• lol not yet, because this was invested in the only money I had left, and the fact that I have no job anymore, I want to read as much about OCing because I like to push things to the absolute max xD.

I ran the test, and as expected, my Video Card is bottlenecking :P. Once I OC I'll probably hit the "optimized" CPU performance. If I have any money coming from a future job, and I budget everything properly (CF rent is part of this projected budget ;)) I'll probably buy a 7970/high end 8xxx + possibly bigger PSU in winter 2013!

Arrrrrrrrrrrr Maty!

• heh, on a K CPU version, don't overclck it to the max... it's perfectly known you have to increase the voltage pressure on it even up to 1.5 ( 50 % more than default) just to get like 2-5 % more speed, unnecessary and kills your CPU's life expectancy.

You could use "Easy Tune 6", where for me came with the disk, press the Red (top between green yellow and red) button and overclock it to 4.22 Ghz. It doesn't change the voltage, so all safe.

About that site, my GTX 650 Ti card is known to get like 4700 graphic points at 3d mark, so my green bar at GPU is smaller while at CPU is over the limit (100 % to the max) , but since mine is a Gigabyte version with 2 GB dedicated memory, 4 Gb total, and even with the OC tag by default, it hit much more than that, and with my lil tuning, it hits 6000 points (600+ less score than yours), just that this is a 130 $ card xD I went cheap on the card since I wanted a more powerful CPU, for the future (and for multithreading for composing videos and projects), than a super gaming card.

So I can't trust what that site says about my card, I can trust what it says about yours :D

• My 570 is running at 850 MHz atm with the stock evga cooler. The 7870 is a good card and overclocks pretty well... If you are OCing your CPU, you might as well bump up the GPU clocks a bit too.

sigsuy.png
    [headline][/headline]
    Need to repair a battleship in Inner Core? Contact me for free repairs!

Crossfire Film Union --> CrossfireFilmUnion

My YouTube --> VishnuCF

• 570, 850 mhz, interesting, my card came with 1032 GPU speed and 2700 Mhz memory speed, and now it runs at 1202 mhz and 3200 mhz memory speed. Going to 3703 mhz memory speed is still stable, but starts having minor but a bit visible visual errors, but no crashes or stuff.

Edited 2 times, last by Michael: . ().

• Interesting info Mike! Thanks for that :P. If I'm OCing anytime soon its probably after exams!

My 570 is running at 850 MHz atm with the stock evga cooler. The 7870 is a good card and overclocks pretty well... If you are OCing your CPU, you might as well bump up the GPU clocks a bit too.

I probably will actually, why not both? :P

Arrrrrrrrrrrr Maty!

• Congrats m8 ...very nice spec (ofc PSU is always 1st thing of the list)

Enjoy 8)

Thanks m8!!

Hmm, for me, the core and motherboard came first :D The rest is updatable.

Yep! I was puzzled when people were telling me to go for a cheaper MSI mobo and a lower i5/13 3xxx for a 7970 lol. I can always upgrade my GPU and PSU easily, unlike the mobo and CPU

Arrrrrrrrrrrr Maty!

• I've always had good luck with Gigabyte mobo's......imo, hard to go wrong when starting with that :)

I roam space in search of adventure and treasure.

{LP}Marauder{X} of the Lost Prophets

MARAUDER n 1: someone who attacks in search of booty
    "marauder": Syn: bandit, buccaneer, desperado, forager, looter, pillager, pirate, plunderer, predator, raider

FYI: Lost Prophets are currently recruiting, please talk with a representative online :D

• I've always had good luck with Gigabyte mobo's......imo, hard to go wrong when starting with that :)

Bingo! Never personally owned one, but when I built a PC with my cousin it was the choice and he's built his fair share with gigabyte mobos, hard to go wrong there lol

Arrrrrrrrrrrr Maty!