Future Project

There are 97 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by teempade04.

• att first i thank u that u spend so much of ur time to create a mod like CF. now even more i thank u for effort with this new project.

u asked for our ideas. well, like the most here i prefer a game like FL. in my case simply because i didnt play any other space sims :D i like the way how to control the ship and a lot of other things. but of course there some things i would like to see changed in a new game:

1. the diversity of ships should increase, i mean more of the big ones. since u create the game from the scratch u can surely avoid the behaviour of the big ones what concerns docking at tradelines/jumpgates etc.
    2. the universe should be more interactive. just like the clanbase stuff in CF now it should be possible to create new content by the players. new bases, new trade lanes, new jumpgates or jumpholes, all created by players, that would be realy great. all u have to do then is just adding some new systems with some surprizes (maybe new alien races).
    3. dynamicle market. we have something like this in CF, but it is not real dynamic. the prices should change with each buy/sell event. means when u buy a lot of commodities of the same kind in the same station, the price should increase. when u sell a lot of commodities of the same kind in the same station, the price should decrease.
    4. players should be able to meet not only in space. what about meeting in bars? :)
    5. what about a teamspeak server?
    6. more physics. pls add gravity effects, planets circling around central stars.

so far for now.

"There is no connection between truth and politics." Londo Mollari (Centauri Ambassador) londo.jpg

Dark Phoenix Clan introduction: link
    Sigma 17 Rules: link
    DP Recruiting Office: link

Events, Eventmanagers: link
    Event Rules: link

• at first id try to get basic stuff done
    creating dynamic stuff is really hard to do and i dont have the slightest idea yet how to do such stuff

what I clearly wont create is a dynamic star systems because that is absolutely incompatible with tradelanes and the positioning of other solar objects such as gates or stations.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

What would you prefer?

Well, if you ask...

Actually, FL is unique becouse I can't play any fly-sims becouse they're just too specialized. After "IL-2" sim I finally figured out that I'm not a pilot. There is no related game that was not deleted after 1-4 missions. Only FL. Becouse it's easy enough for beginners but also deep enogh as a universe - not just "from mission-to mission", but exactly the universe. With story and many things to explore.
    May be I'm not a Pilot but I'm space-explorer. I like to read ingame stories like forgotten journals of abandoned ships to to find out what happened, or perhaps becouse of anomaly. I like when universe is really deep and especially when exploration adventures have rewards. The feeling of the pioneer. The First, as you wish.
    And yeah, I like the battleships. But when they are real, and not balanced only for multiplayer to the condition of carton (or to reverse the case of local "death-star" wunderwaffe). May be I'm not a pilot, but i'm tactic and strategist. Commanding the wings and cruiser itself can (and actually should) use Homeworld moving and attacking controls, icluding separate target tracking and firing systems. Ship also can use special active options and skills interface like Homeworld-type. Becouse it's tactic ship and sometimes - strategy ship (in hands of someone smart enough like Great Britain).
    About the strategy elemetns. My lovely simulator is "Space Rangers" becouse of completely dynamic economy, reputation, missions, technology and global situation. There is no need to roleplay as pirate or warrior when you can just BE him and change you mind when you wish (but meet all the consequences of previous decisions). You can try command. Or you can just obey. You can plan the whole war, or just live the day. It is much more interesting and enjoyable to see the living universe with as much ways to play as possible. If I will only see the sim game, which will also propose me to explore space, find a new planet, lead the colonizers to see the see the real colony after the time... yeah... then I'll be really impressed.

But it's matter of taste. That's why i'm still mostly playing games like Universe Sandbox, Europa Universalis and Sins of Solar Empire and don't even try the space sims without good reason...

[BattleCommand] InterGame Clan 1-st Founder

---
    In game signatures:
    [BC]afGun, [BC]Ksygon-Geleon (battleship)
    ---

This dream is a universe
    And every soul shines
    Where the darkness turns into light.
    I take you to fly with me
    And follow the way
    There will always be a new day!

• Next update is online (link again in the first post of this thread):

• Options Menu prepared to include other option categories
    • Load Game function improved
    • Light control script added
    • several minor improvements done to the Ingame Menu
    • Freeport 1 added to the Main Menu
    • Manhattan Cityscape added

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Discuss!

Roger that! :salutes

What [BC]afGun said is right: Freelancer is unique, partially because of its great gameplay (I mean not only ship controls but also things like slow lasers, stationary planets, funny physics, etc.) - no other game is even close. Maybe that is why there are so many requests to make an FL clone. But why not to make a game with Freelancer mechanics that is NOT Freelancer? A game with completely new universe, new setting, new atmosphere, but with FL-like gameplay process? Many new space sims have good atmosphere, but for some reasons (e.g. trying to be more realistic) their gameplay is not that enjoyable or is too difficult for some people to get used to, even if they like the game in general. In these conditions, a project that combines a new universe with old good FL mechanics could be something really unique and valuable for the space sim genre.

Some time ago there was another FL mod in development called Continuum which I was really looking forward to, because it offered an alternative post-Freelancer universe with somewhat darker conception, and the designs presented on mod webpage looked very impressive. But now I think a completely new setting can be even better: no more New York, Manhattan, Trent, Juni, Freeport and other things we might be not so excited to see for the 66th time... But only a fresh different world that you can immerse in, without having too much trouble with the interface and controls. And for the old names and views you can still visit the Crossfire server.

This sounds like a better prospective to me than just a Freelancer remake. What do you think?

• science meets fiction

I can clearly see your point and for me creating something completely new also is something pretty interesting.
    Afterall I could develop something without any stylistic limitations and eventually could even turn it into a commercial project IF we get that far.
    I would not need to care about any copyrights, I would not need to care about Microsoft, etc.

And that leads me to a big "BUT"... "IF we get that far" is a condition that is questionable when we have to create hundreds of 3d models from the scratch, draw thousands of new custom textures, do the coding work, do the animation stuff, build the environment, etc.
    I have serious doubts that we are able to do that with ehmmm... only me... and Huor (who also volunteered).
    You need a team of ~20 people if you want to create something that is totally custom, especially if its at a scale of Freelancer. For such a project you need a good amount of people with coding skills, you need 3d modelers and textures, people which do the animations, people which work on effects, people which create the systems/environments, people which create sound effects and custom music and you need people which are able to manage and organize the entire project.
    I can do a bit of everything, I have done all of that for CF in a more or less professional way.
    Can I create something like the Manhattan Cityscape (good example coz Its already in the project)?
    Yes I can. I can do the modeling work and texture it.
    If I start today I most certainly will be able to deliver something at the end of the next month.
    And thats the point. I am able to do 3d modeling and texturung but I am no expert in it. I require alot more time to get that work done than somebody who has really learned to do this work in a professional way.
    With other words... creating something custom comes at the risk that we will never be able to get this project finished.

But lets assume that we go for completely new game...lets assume that we have enough manpower to get this done.
    Thats the point where organization troubles start.
    At this point I can imagine to work with 5-10 people on the project. We share assets and everyone does his work that in the end gets included in the main project.
    With 20 or more people organization gets complicated.
    You can not keep track of everything. You have to ensure that everyone can work on the project.
    That means that you need a Unity Pro team license. Thats the point where this project starts not only to cost time but also money.
    75€ per month for a license that allows team members to work on the same cloud based project files. That of course still without guarantee that the project ever gets finished.
    So lets do some kickstarter fundraising to get the bills paid.
    Oh wait.... there is the next problem... since StarCitizen there are probably hundreds of similar kickstart campaigns with the goal to create a scifi game.
    What makes us special (aside from the fact that we dont have enough manpower to get such a custom project running)?
    Nothing, we are not special... we are one of many out there.
    Now really.... what do you think?
    Would "Continuum", the custom space game, get more support than "Freelancer: Continuum"? (putting completely aside that we cant raise money through kickstarter for "freelancer" coz Microsoft holds the copyrights).

A custom space sim with the gameplay of Freelancer would be absolutely incredible. I clearly agree with you on that.
    But if we decide to go that way we first should go and get a noticable amount of money and a professional team working on it (not only as an afterwork freetime project).
    If these two criteria cant be met then the project never gets off the ground.

Creating a new Freelancer game does not mean to create a 1:1 clone.
    Improvements can be done in many areas.
    Maybe we can improve the game that many people loved to play.
    Not everything has to be exactly the same but maybe it wouldnt hurt if people see stuff in the game that they remember from the original FL...
    My work on the interface is not 100% exact and actually Im not even trying to be 100% exact. Ive included what I consider good changed stuff where I felt that it looks and works better now.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• the developer of Starlancer: Sol War was me
    Ive dropped this project long ago in order to focus on CF

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I know, but you got messaged by an indie game people to market the dead project on GoG and Humble Bundle etc.

Use the same idea for this "future project."

This is of course when we have a playable demo to showcase to such crowd

• yeah but they didnt want to work on the project
    they just wanted to make money with it
    and not even in a clever way... they should have known that starlancer is copyrighted

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• update today:

• Support for animated textures added

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Right but this game would be completely you and you'd hold rights over it.

Or be like any mobile game: free to play; pay to win. Make it to where people can play the game to get all the nice stuff or pay for tiered pricing support packages (money, other valuable items in high quantity)

I'd support server costs to be decked out...

• Meh, I think the reason why FL survived for so long compared to other space sims is because of it's pricing model. Pay once and forget about it; if you want something in-game you have to work for it - no other way around.

sigsuy.png
    [headline][/headline]
    Need to repair a battleship in Inner Core? Contact me for free repairs!

Crossfire Film Union --> CrossfireFilmUnion

My YouTube --> VishnuCF

• whats the benefit of having an own game if that never gets finished?

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• i think there is alot more required than just a coder

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Me too. I just didn't want to double post the other people you would need to create a game. Im sure there are people on SWAT who have skills you need and with nothing better to do with their free time

• if so... where were these people when I created CF?

there are only very few ppl that were able and willing to help in the past

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• And that's what happens when new games come out, communities get spread thin. Not just that, people have lives to live. Priorities

What if Elite Dangerous or star citizen never came out? Do you think SWAT would have a larger community? That is more players on CF or whatever? More people with favorable skillsets with time on their hands? In some alternate universe, this is true. But not this one.

Joint Operations still has public servers and one community still meets up every Sunday to play over teamspeak. If it's been going on since I was in high school, then even old games still have loyal player base. But most of these people lead busy lives with family of work. Work hinders me from playing CF but my PC prevents me from playing newer games. I'd play Elite for sure...

Just how multiplayer games work I guess...

• elite or starcitizen had 0 influence on CF or the participation in community projects

the participation always was low
    and even if take all FL modders in all active FL community it wouldnt be enough to build a custom game (putting aside that you never get these people to work together)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,