FreeLancer 2 By Chris Reberts ??? There's going to be an anoucement on October.

There are 170 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Cygna.

• Hi
    Star Citizen sounds like Freelancer 2 to me.
    I.E. it has a military campaign you do 1st and when that's finished you can go and freelance and explore the galaxy. (Just like in the original Freelancer)
    They intend to add to the Galaxy and game content as they create it, a bit at a time each month / week or so, so no more waiting a year+ for an update or for something new :)

I agree he my not have started space sim games, but IMHO he made some of the best most enjoyable space sim games to date, and popularised space sim games to a new level, I.E Starlancer and all the WC games, also he had a part in Freelancer not sure how much ?
    He was the 1st to put good quality FMV into a space sim game (possibly any game ?).

Lets give him a chance and see what he creates before dismissing him, we might be surprised ?

In game Characters Molasar,Rasalom, Lestat, Sal_Roma & Crookey 8)

• Freelancer 2??
    Star Citizen will be based in single player and the multiplayer combat will only be in pvp instances.That is nothing like Freelancer.
    You wont be able to participate in massive battles and you wont be able to roleplay in most systems.As Chris Robert said attacking other
    people will be heavily limited to some far away systems and you wont be able to find that battle cause its location will be a temporal to be deleted place.So no loot , no wrecks, battles that never happened , cant rejoin them or tell someone else where it is.
    Why wait 2 years for a game that will demand money(micro transactions to be able to enjoy the full features)
    and ofcourse do you really expect every private server will get those game updates you mention? Thats impossible.
    Ofcourse he is claiming the micro transaction benefits can be obtained through free hard work too,
    so yeah go play 500 hours to get a small upgrade.

I am not hoping cause i know when it comes out, the guys like you will go all ragging around, I have seen it many times, i guess i am gonna
    see it one more time.
    Support Crossfire , it will be better than this glorious space game which might come after two years.

Edited 4 times, last by Boyster: grammar fixes ().

• I have no problem with the stuff that he created... I have a problem with the shown arrogance.
    His claims about the genre belittles the work of all other Scifi game creators which kept the genre alive during the past 10 years while Mr. Roberts did nothing for it. He is by far not the best space sim creator nor were his projects all successful.
    His original concepts for Freelancer failed putting him into the position to sell his company to get the game at least finished, Starlancer was a commercial dissaster... the last wing commander game was crap... so was the wing commander movie. Games like conquest or brute force dont even get mentioned today anymore... for gods sake.
    Chris Roberts left the game industry in 2003... but has not released any successful game since 1996. That are 7 years doing something wrong... and meanwhile almost 10 years doing nothing for the genre. The hype is clearly not justified.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Something i did missed here... :S

His claims about the genre belittles the work of all other Scifi game creators which kept the genre alive during the past 10 years while Mr. Roberts did nothing for it.

Anyone claims something. He have at least created something long-live. That is enough.

His original concepts for Freelancer failed putting him into the position to sell his company to get the game at least finished

What's the difference? Still the company closed before FL2 release and without him.

Starlancer was a commercial dissaster...

Wait a minute... I just can't understand something...
    The success of the games counted with money and only money, correct?
    Well... I'm not surprised that today the game industry produces 95% of trash just to sell then...

wing commander game was crap... so was the wing commander movie

o_O?!.. X(
    I do not agree. I liked it. As my brother too. And there is no accounting for tastes, becouse for someone, these projects were successful. About money - read previous.

That are 7 years doing something wrong...

Right-wrong.... I'm glad he is returned alredy... And really hope that he will remake (exactly) his first version of FL and continue it after release. On first viewing, his version of the story and trailer intrigued me much more than the final version. You just have to wait and already there make any conclusions.

[BattleCommand] InterGame Clan 1-st Founder

---
    In game signatures:
    [BC]afGun, [BC]Ksygon-Geleon (battleship)
    ---

This dream is a universe
    And every soul shines
    Where the darkness turns into light.
    I take you to fly with me
    And follow the way
    There will always be a new day!

Anyone claims something. He have at least created something long-live. That is enough.

so did many other people... that still does not mean that they are a guarantee for success or good games

What's the difference? Still the company closed before FL2 release and without him.

the difference is the entire gameplay.
    FL was announced to have a point and click type gameplay where the player can only do automatic maneuvers.
    I am glad that the original concepts where thrown over board so we are able to fly the ships today.

Wait a minute... I just can't understand something...
    The success of the games counted with money and only money, correct?
    Well... I'm not surprised that today the game industry produces 95% of trash just to sell then...

sure but that 95% does not claim to be better than all others and save the genre

I do not agree. I liked it. As my brother too. And there is no accounting for tastes, becouse for someone, these projects were successful. About money - read previous.

clearly a matter of taste
    the movie got an overall rating of 3.8 points out of 10
    it was poorly done, illogical and even broke with the original concepts of wing commander

Right-wrong.... I'm glad he is returned alredy... And really hope that he will remake (exactly) his first version of FL and continue it after release. On first viewing, his version of the story and trailer intrigued me much more than the final version. You just have to wait and already there make any conclusions.

he is not doing anything FL related... his new game is not even an FL style game.
    So far he has only presented a test environment with unreasonable detail grades for 3d models... which is a performance killer.
    Boyster is pretty much right about the way how the multiplayer will work for this game... IF it will work in MP. I doubt that a server can hold more than a few systems.
    Why do x3 or x4 not have a multiplayer? -> because such high detail games are performance killers for any available server hardware.
    And egosoft has much more experience with such games than Chris Roberts.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

so did many other people... that still does not mean that they are a guarantee for success or good games

Well, in my planet almost everyone is guarantee almost everything. Especially, the success. And what? Fails, fails and fails again. Welcome to the world of consumers. If you hate it - kill the advertisers and PR-men first and only after it the others. I will even cover you, I promise. :vinsent:

FL was announced to have a point and click type gameplay where the player can only do automatic maneuvers.
    I am glad that the original concepts where thrown over board so we are able to fly the ships today.

Again, it's the dispute about taste. Try to play "IL-2 Sturmovik" - only real physics, only hardcore! :zocken:
    But I'm still prefer "liquid vacuum" and so on. That kind of of things are important only for military simulators. But here, the whole game as the sum of the rest - that is important for me. I will forgive even the complete lack of plot, if I would delay by the game.

sure but that 95% does not claim to be better than all others and save the genre

Claims and with knobs on...

the movie got an overall rating of 3.8 points out of 10
    it was poorly done, illogical and even broke with the original concepts of wing commander

for the masses of consumers.
    Homeworld, I of a Dragon (dragon flight sim), Defcon (nuclear war sim), Divine Divinity 2, BattleZone, Battle Realms... well... they were also not so popular and some of them still. And of course, for someone they were poorly done.
    And what? I must delete them, trhow the disk in to the window, send the mail with curse and anger to developers and try to forget it?
    Not in this life. :beaengstigend:

he is not doing anything FL related... his new game is not even an FL style game.

*smashing the translator*
    I thought said "I hope", not "i'm shure".

So far he has only presented a test environment with unreasonable detail grades for 3d models... which is a performance killer.
    Boyster is pretty much right about the way how the multiplayer will work for this game... IF it will work in MP. I doubt that a server can hold more than a few systems.
    Why do x3 or x4 not have a multiplayer? -> because such high detail games are performance killers for any available server hardware.
    And egosoft has much more experience with such games than Chris Roberts.

" how will work", "doubt about". Man, the game is not yet released, but you've already stocked up with tomato shells...
    Just let them work. Or there is something else that I don't know, but thee openly interferes with life?

---
    In game signatures:
    ---

This dream is a universe
    And every soul shines
    And follow the way

• I think its misunderstood in some points. I am sure that OP wishes Chris teams success with his work. Everyone is doing it. I too :)
    But we just dont think and say so that this will be the ultimate new space sim ever and it would be a massive boost for the genre.

Sure we have to wait until its finished - and thats the point. How can someone say that without this game from Chris the space sim genre will be dead. How can someone claim that without this game no one else would be able to build a good space sim game? Its just tooooooo much enthusiasm to claim this. We do not know if it will be a major success, we do not know anything - just a trailer and a feature list.

May be doubt - yes. Chris is just a name - not more not less. He is not the King of space sim games - and the world continues rotating even if this game will not be a success. Later one still has to be proven!

signature.png

• Hopes, everyone has them.
    Unfortunatly they are based on wishes... not on facts.
    Yes, I also want new space sims... but not at all costs... and not done in a way i disrespect.

Ill give you some thoughts you might want to consider.

There are 2 years of development... maybe more.
    But already today the people focus on this new game... they lurk around on the forums... they have only one topic.
    Existing game projects, mods, new developments suffer from inactivity.
    The motivation to create something own has become relative unimportant. I see freelancer modders spending more time with the new game topics than doing modding work already.
    When this new game is being released and if it will be a success all other games which are on the market today can be considered dead.
    The freelancer servers will be empty and closed... services as the gls replacement will shut down.
    And just like freelancer all other existing small scifi projects will end because its not worth the effort anymore.

The new game will be so expensive that other developers have massive problems to create equal projects... very likely they would not even try.
    Even if they try it would take 3-4 years for them to get the first new game done.
    Nobody would want to play a game that is less good than the new one Chris Roberts game... therefore everything around star citizen will die.
    That is end of diversity in the genre.
    Does anybody actually think about consequences of such a hype?

And now imagine that Chris Roberts once more fails to bring his project to an end. The opposite scenario.
    He runs into problems... cant get the project finished... sells is company to the next best bidder (like last time) or maybe closes it.
    Whats with the hopes? If the project fails major damage has been done to the entire genre.

Diversity is the only hope for the space sim genre.
    Not the hype around a single project and an actually ordinary game developer.
    In 2-3 years we for sure know more.
    If i am wrong then hey... everything will be fine... but if i am right you better look for a new game genre because there wont be much left that you can return to.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• OP you're dead on as I totally agree, I loath even the name Chris Roberts but you have to give him credit for the Freelancer concept/idea alone otherwise Freelancer would of never existed.
    And myself and many other Freelancer addicts ahem....enthusiasts. Will have way too much free time on our hands and I prefer modding old games as the old game engine to newer modern hardware/resources seems to sway in the favor of gorgeous eye candy and high fps, so multiplayer and 60 fps gameplay is possible.
    And of course I am referring to CF modding but real life has got in my way up until recently, so for me Chris Roberts can stuff his rip off game and I will continue modding for the near future.;)

Current System
    Tagan BZ Series 800 Watt Power Supply Unit,
    AsRock P55 Pro/USB3 Motherboard,
    Antec full ATX tower case,
    Tranquillo CPU Cooler,
    Intel Core i3 530@4.00Ghz.:D
    8GB of DDR3,
    SATA Samsung HD753LJ 750GB Hard drive,
    SATA Samsung HD501LJ 500GB Hard drive,
    XFX ATI Radeon 5870 with Arctic Cooler GPU cooler.

• clearly his idea, true
    but a good idea does not make a good game yet.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Its just tooooooo much enthusiasm to claim this.

And since when is all are worried about the level of enthusiasm of developers? :huh:
    Doh, let they even just promise mountains of gold - we have something that, for the first time or what?

When this new game is being released and if it will be a success all other games which are on the market today can be considered dead.

No offence. Starcraft I is also dead. Quake I dead. Old Doom series dead. Diablo I dead....
    Disaster? May be. But nothing lasts forever. Only way is to go further

Nobody would want to play a game that is less good than the new one Chris Roberts game... therefore everything around star citizen will die.

How? Run a virus and destroy all of the games around the world of the genre? Even WoW could not cause the death of the rest online rpg, although he was a great teammate known as LA2.

He runs into problems... cant get the project finished... sells is company to the next best bidder (like last time) or maybe closes it.
    Whats with the hopes? If the project fails major damage has been done to the entire genre.

And I thought that I was a pessimist realist pessimist... :S

but if i am right you better look for a new game genre because there wont be much left that you can return to.

That's why I always recommend to do free available servers. In my local network game can even live forever. I mean, my lovely game.

---
    In game signatures:
    ---

This dream is a universe
    And every soul shines
    And follow the way

• [video]

[/video]
    [video]
    [/video]

Current System
    Tagan BZ Series 800 Watt Power Supply Unit,
    AsRock P55 Pro/USB3 Motherboard,
    Antec full ATX tower case,
    Tranquillo CPU Cooler,
    Intel Core i3 530@4.00Ghz.:D
    8GB of DDR3,
    SATA Samsung HD753LJ 750GB Hard drive,
    SATA Samsung HD501LJ 500GB Hard drive,
    XFX ATI Radeon 5870 with Arctic Cooler GPU cooler.

• I have no problem with the stuff that he created... I have a problem with the shown arrogance.
    His claims about the genre belittles the work of all other Scifi game creators which kept the genre alive during the past 10 years while Mr. Roberts did nothing for it. He is by far not the best space sim creator nor were his projects all successful.
    His original concepts for Freelancer failed putting him into the position to sell his company to get the game at least finished, Starlancer was a commercial dissaster... the last wing commander game was crap... so was the wing commander movie. Games like conquest or brute force dont even get mentioned today anymore... for gods sake.
    Chris Roberts left the game industry in 2003... but has not released any successful game since 1996. That are 7 years doing something wrong... and meanwhile almost 10 years doing nothing for the genre. The hype is clearly not justified.

I totally agree.

Look, this game that Roberts is making will take 2-3 years to make, and to get the funding for the top end computers
    to make the game on, and to pay the wages of the Dev team, YOU the populas pay HIM up front... end of story.

Please tell me that this doesn't smell of a con..........?

Anything can happen in 3 years, WW3, 21/12/12, Homer Simpson made President, or the truth of the matter, company
    gets sold off, he does a runner and the people under him sell the idea to a major software company like EA, and then
    you get the game from your local store, which is the way it should be done.
    Cutting the middleman out as he says, means and sounds dodgy to me, no legality. His promise, His Rules.

OP quoted Egosoft from Germany, which made the Famous X Series, tbh one of the great series of space sims i have ever
    seen,( and played ) that is not that dis-similar from Freelancer.
    They kept the franchise going by making new versions, X2-The Threat, X3-Reunion..ect...ect , and they are still going strong.
    Funny how Roberts didn't spot this ??
    Probably one of the only software house's out there that are still KEEPING Space Sims in the Lime Light.
    So WHY did Roberts not make FREELANCER 2 ?? In favour of WC thats why. He still likes playing with his little joystick.

When people hype themselves up so much, And believe their own hype, it most prob turn out to be a disaster.

Rgds

Cygna

• Do you know that Chris Roberts has produced at least two movies : one around year 2000 "Wing Commander : Attack To Earth" , that in my opinion sucks.
    And another few years ago, "Outlander", very good !

• Chris Roberts don't even appear in Outlander's credits (in any of them, neither actors or helpers), the Director is Howard McCain and as writers, the same guy and Dirk Blackman.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Chris Roberts was involved in 10 movie projects... in 9 of them as producer
    he only took regie in the wing commander movie (which really was crap and totally broke with the original concept of the wing commander games.. and had tons of logical mistakes)
    Outlander was... hmmm ... well dunno ... it ran on TV just a few weeks ago and I switched off after 15mins... maybe it got better after that.

Its also not a matter of pessimism or such a shit... its a matter of facts and realistic thoughts, instead of wish thinking.
    I warned the Freelancer community that microsoft would shut down their support for FL in 2007 and people said "you are just pessimistic".... microsoft shut down the GLS and TLR server in the same year. FL lost 50% of its players because people did not listen. I said that 2008 and 2009 that FL is loosing players... and was called "pessimistic". Today the same people say that FL is dying while in the meantime they did nothing.
    People always close their eyes from reality or negative stuff... they prefer to blame the people which give warnings and voiced their concerns. They do that till the point that its too late ... till the point where is no way back.
    Well, if you want to look through pink glasses... fine
    but dont blame us for not sharing your illusions... we intend to look for alternatives

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

I warned the Freelancer community that microsoft would shut down their support for FL in 2007 and people said "you are just pessimistic".... microsoft shut down the GLS and TLR server in the same year. FL lost 50% of its players because people did not listen. I said that 2008 and 2009 that FL is loosing players... and was called "pessimistic". Today the same people say that FL is dying while in the meantime they did nothing.

God helps those who help themselves. If you think, that I just don't belive that this could happen - you wrong. But there are some opposites: Freelancer is really old, thw whole genre is almost stagnating. All types of the plot are so beaten already that in fits of deja vu I also feel heartburn. It's time would have to start to break and change10 years of well-established rules. of course, I know that we will have many negative consequences, but also positive. And if he can't do it - someone will. He may fail, but that will not detonate the nuclear warheads around the world. So, the genre will be rehabilitated some day.

Well, if you want to look through pink glasses... fine
    but dont blame us for not sharing your illusions... we intend to look for alternatives

And why you don't see the chance to bring YOUR vision in to the game by your joining in to development team as SWAT team then, for example?
    I can shout as much as necessary to the driver that he would hit a pole, but I'm still powerless, until I'm not sit behind the wheel myself.

And stop criticize my glasses. They have only the pink toning, And yet have done nothing to you.

---
    In game signatures:
    ---

This dream is a universe
    And every soul shines
    And follow the way

• Well... Apparently, he has a competitor...

---
    In game signatures:
    ---

This dream is a universe
    And every soul shines
    And follow the way