FreeLancer 2 By Chris Reberts ??? There's going to be an anoucement on October.

There are 170 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Cygna.

• @ MISTER(robert)BROT

Mr. Roberts doesn't have ANY rights on Freelancer. He sold them to microsoft to fund his plans of making his (mediocre at best) films.

Due to this "rights"-stuff there will never be a "Freelancer 2" if not microsoft decides to make one.

(beside the MUCH BETTER STUFF made already by lots of modders, built on Freelancer, even though microsoft never opended the source code
    up to the public. OHHHH ! What that could have made possible, can be seen by the Freespace 2 Open, now a game engine capable of things even
    the original developers at volition games never thought of to be possible.)

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• well to give volition and freespace credit and imo it's the best space-action-sim ever created, the game itself has not that hype to save the developers from being bankrupt, therefor volition sold the game code for further developers and i doubt that microsoft will go bankrupt in the future.

{ Lonewolf(reborn)MkII / (KoH / Dr.AS. / Mr.) Ridley / Volition (godlike) / Lt.Col.John_Sheppard / BS-Project_L20εα }

• you never know...
    but like already mentioned Chris Roberts created good stuff... and he also failed badly
    His last try to create a computer game was Freelancer and his vision of the game failed so he sold the project and somebody else finished it before it went down the drain.
    That is something that people either dont now or forget when they remember other games.

We had other games like Freelancer in the past years and they failed... either Mr. Roberts has a genious idea or he is not better than the other game creators out there.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Following your sayin its neither of both :)
    Lets draw a nice picture - a good scifi scenery - and publish it and say we make a FL follower.

I remember very well what has happened with BP, everything looked so promising and they surely had very good ideas. Now its dead. I think people should calm down a bit and first let him do its work. There will be enough time to feel amazed ;)

signature.png

• yep
    problem with high expectations is that the disappointment might be even higher

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• well, i dont want somebody to fail... but i remain skeptical
    I believe the game concept is already done and the only reason to bring up the site is to gain some information and get ideas
    on 10th october the official news will be announced and they would do an announcement if they wouldnt know how things will look like

the people which registered on the website have just minimal influence on the games look
    the decision about the kind of game is already done... if not then they would have a damn short time to prepare a working concept that they can present

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I registered on his website also and I'm now a member. There is a lot of speculation going on and I fear that expectations are set way to high. Let's wait until the official announcement to see what Chris really has in mind. Without a good team and the finances behind him, I'm not putting my hopes up high and rather wait for Crossfire 2.0.
    I was also rather put off by the Disco community trying to take over the forum there.

• for meanwhile 3 days i ask myself if i should open a thread there that practically deals with all the so far done suggestions and wishes
    and i am not sure if that actually would be a good idea

I would desillusionate most of the people over there with the things that I have to say
    I could name the wishes which are totally unimportant for a good game (use of hardware that nearly nobody uses -> VR devices)... compare the wishes which conflict each other (such as large, free systems vs. player interactions -> not possible) and ask unconfortable questions why these developers (which obviously missed 10 years of genre history) are better than other developers which had the the experience to create successful games.

It would be clearly a very long post... and i am sure that I would get the attention of the developers (in this case the ben lesnick which takes care of the forum -> while i dont expect that chris roberts ever will show up there.) BUT I also will catch the hate of fan boys and dreamers that have no sense of realism.

Lets face it... they could create the most detailed space game ever.... BUT the data has to go from the servers through the net to the clients and back. The more details... the more data... the more traffic and the more lag you get. This is an undeniable truth that even with modern PC can not be handled.... and it is one reason why games like black prophecy failed.

Chris Roberts is a great developer which did remarkable things... that is sure. But he is no magician.
    Next to that he created games at a time where ever new idea was revolutionary. Today every idea has already existed before. It will be hard to create something that others did not think of yet.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I have no clue what goes on there over in their forum. But I believe you will again get much attention of all those people that have bad relations with you. When i see the posts on TSP for example then i believe you will at least have nearly the entire TSP staff against you. And somehow it would not good to fall again into quarrels with them. And i believe they will not be the only ones. Anyway good questions can be asked. And without being rude you could ask the one or other question ;) I mean with not so hard words :D :D

signature.png

• there we have our problem again... me and not using hard words (thats a conflict in itself)^^

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• i wouldnt expect an answer... and actually i am not in need of answers for myself

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I also registered on this site and now I feel as if i have cheated on my wife.. ;)

tbh, i feel Roberts wont be able to to create anything better than Freelancer/Crossfire.
    As you said OP, more graphic's ( eye candy ) = more bandwidth = serious bad lag.

But with that said, i don't feel that he could improve making a better Freelancer with
    its current game engine??

Everything has been done, from Elite, Starlancer, X, to Freelancer.
    The only way forward to be honest, is Mods, add-ons, to further expand the game genre.

If Chris Roberts were to do Freelancer 2, then it would be a Mod, or an Add-on for Wing Commander.
    He was a great bloke back in the day ( and most prob still is ) but i feel its time to let the new breed
    of Visionarys continue this type of space sim, AKA OP, Gibbon etc etc..

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Cygna

• Let's just wait and see until the official announcment. I personaly don't put my hopes up to far. A new game requires a new engine, dedication, a good team and tons of money. Not to mention the years of development and testing. And to be honest, Chris is not really known to see thing to the end when it concerns games. No offence intended.
    I rather carry on playing my usual mods and wait for Crossfire 2.0.

• I know don't remind me but here is another high hopes idea which probably won't come....but I did smile a little bit when this idea came over...maybe a combination between a upgraded wing commander /freelancer combination where all carakters and game play combined together........................ok .... unrealistic....was just a thought 8)

ROCK ANTENNE
    AC/DC
    BIG GUN

Acer Aspire V3-772G / Windows 10 Home / Intel Core i7 / Nvidia Geforce GT 750M / 8 GB RAM

• Ya, what I replied at Bot's thread about RSI... looks epic =)

And he's the founder of Digital Anvil... the stuff on his site is interesting. And the Freelancer forum part too ^^

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis