Genesis - A new beginning

There are 153 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Gibbon.

• A random bit of info i discovered and why i've had no crashes on patrol paths in my new mod is how i've been adding them this time round. By no crashes i mean not because the patrol path was bad, if it did crash it was for the usual reasons, crap loadout, wrong ship defined in npcships or factionprop, no faction defined in mbase if it went to a base which are the most common reasons.

So, for me at least, why i've had no issues assuming everything is ok with the ship or ships used in the patrol path, loadout etc, is that i add them one at a time. By this i mean if it has 6 waypoints then labelled 1 1, 1 2, 1 3 and so on, assuming it's the first path for a faction, otherwise, 2 1, or 3 1 depending which entry it is. The trick is you add the patrol path and all it's waypoints, then go and test them. I get a crash everytime i add more than one patrol path, don't know why, don't care. If i add them one at a time, then all is good.

Also you can have more things going on, on the same patrol path, for instance, a trader going from A to B, also you could add a freighter entry onto the same path and that works happily as well and adds variety at least to trading patrol paths. I read years ago that you couldn't do that but that's a load of balls because you can. In fact there are few original vanilla paths that have this

• A small progress report. Took a few days off as the mod was stressing me out, or more to the point the f****** sur files were. They still are actually but not as much. Made a new batch with complete HPID sections plus adoxas fix for fuses and so far seems ok. See how it goes

Thinking about it, there will be even more stress once the football starts on friday lol

• LATEST NEWS FROM THE COLONY NEWS SERVICE

Only a few years have passed since the Nomad Wars, but the pirate situation in the border worlds has now reached epidemic proportions. Many of the larger factions now have larger craft to attack the unsuspecting trader or company transport. The war of words between the Corsairs and Red Hessians has now escalated to all out war, with Omega 5 declared a designated warzone. Enter at your peril.

----- >>>>>

The smaller pirate factions seem to have been upgrading as well, with many now using small and maneuverable freighters to ferry various goods to their bases. These small convoys are not the easy pickings they once were, and caution is advised should you decide to attack.

----- >>>>>

While the Nomads were resolutely beaten during the war, "it's only a matter of time before they return" claimed Edison Trent, Liberty representative of the Order and hero of the Nomad Wars who has been monitoring the situation. There have been many reported sightings already in numerous systems, with the house naval forces on a heightened state of alert.

----- >>>>>

The discovery of an asteroid eating spacefaring lifeform, the 'Razid', has caused a major stir in academic circles. This creature apparently consumes the minerals it finds in the asteroids for nourishment. It's eggs have become somewhat of a collectors item due to the high concentration of a diamond like substance which is much sought after for research purposes. The four main houses have declared the 'Razid' creature a protected species, with heavy penalties aimed at anyone caught in possession of the valuable eggs.

----- >>>>>

The emergence of the Simian Trade Federation was another major coup for the Zoners after one of their pilots came to the aid of a stricken convoy populated by an intelligent Simian species, capable of spaceflight.

The Simians major export, banana beer, is now a favourite tipple of the masses. Its numbers are controlled by the Zoners who are undermanned to say the least regarding the distribution of this most popular beverage. Much favoured by the pirate clans as well, some in the press claim that the 'Beer Wars' have started, with many convoys coming under attack from pirates.

Many independent traders have sought to locate the source of this magnificent brew, but the Zoners are staying very tight-lipped about the location of the Simian homeworld, preferring to sell you the item themselves. Search at your own risk.

----- >>>>>

A major upgrade across Sirius has been the update of the popular tradelane system by Ageira Technologies. They claim their new tradelanes are easier to dock with, plus they can be seen from much farther away due to their new 'Illumo' lighting system. Dock with one today to experience it!

----- >>>>>

A more bizarre rumour currently doing the rounds in many space bars, is the alleged sighting of a sleeper ship motoring at speed through the outer reaches of some systems. Some would say the pilots who claim to have seen the ship, have had a bottle or two too many. The major houses have sent out a few ships in an attempt to try and track the vessel, assuming it exists of course!

If it does exist, the obvious question is who built it? Is there anyone aboard? More importantly, where have they been? More on this when we have something to report.

Stay tuned for the latest news...

• that looks good

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Thanks. I've had that model a while now but struggled to sort out the interior lighting. I know it can be done with lights somehow, though uncertain how. Other option which i went for obviously is the lightmapping route, which for me gives the effect i was looking for. Onto the next thing...

• http://www.lancersreactor.org/…?page=Thread&threadID=125

Instead of the effect being added to the justice mark I projectile, it can be added to the effect the hplights use. But as freelancer does not have deferred rendering, using the effect on weapon projectiles and lights at the same time will cause freelancer to crash (i think)

clarification OP?

sigsuy.png
    [headline][/headline]
    Need to repair a battleship in Inner Core? Contact me for free repairs!

Crossfire Film Union --> CrossfireFilmUnion

My YouTube --> VishnuCF

• 8 light sources is the maximum if i recall right
    thats a limitation of the directx version

so it is relative impracticable
    however... i think we are talking about different kinds of lights here (dunno 100%)
    i personally would suggest to look into the code of the inner nomads lair -> ST02C

there you find a set of different non-directional lightsources used for that scenery
    same could be used for this station aswell

you just have to test it

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• well, yeah
    but its no light

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Echoing what's been mentioned already, not after an effect, animation or other custom effect. What i'm talking about is illumination, or how to illuminate a model from within. OP's suggestion is the direction i'm looking at as that could work i think, already looking at the Nomad Lair code as this might provide the alternative solution i'm, looking for. The lightmapped route which is the only other way to do this i think, is clearly a way that works well, as i've already demonstrated. There are a number of way to light things up in FL, the code is full of it, but most of it is on a systemic scale, i'm after something much smaller which is why the Lair suggestion might be the way to go

• Off topic:
    next to that... i can create effects like the one on the vid (thats no problem)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Off topic:

OP can do better than those effects, actually he already did with suns, holes and some others.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis