Ship Refuelling

There are 16 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Altair.

• Am i the only one wondering where starships are getting all their unlimited fuel reserves from.
    did i read in the description for H-Fuel that it is made into fuel for starships?
    if so where has all that fuel gone?

So here i am proposing a "fuel tank" as internal equipment in ships which has to be refuelled

larger heavier ships like gunboats, Battleships, or Trains would naturally use more fuel than a light fighter so would cost more to run
    using thrusters would use more fuel than cruise engines (possibly)
    tradelanes would use a small amount of fuel but jumpgates wouldn't

fuel would be purchased at refuelling stations which could look like those long stations with lots of docks (Trenton Outpost, New York), and would have fuel storage tanks
    there would be stations probably operated by the GMG in house territory as well as some others operated by neutral factions (Zoners) or pirate factions and each station would have its own prices which would change with the dynamic economy.

this would introduce a new commodity "Starship Fuel" which could either be purchased for personal consumption or traded possibly

the cost of the fuel wouldn't need to be a lot so as not to deter long distance trading but might bring a new RP element whereby travelling long distances or in larger craft costs more and also brings some extra realism to the game where you need to "stop for fuel"

Just a thought.

• Nice idea and thx for the dedication, tho we also had it... but:

No !

There are trips where you have to fly 1400 KM with non stop, and even goes up to 2000 and more if you fight in your way there, or don't know well where to go, or explore one mroe system in teh way there (ie Sol, Altair, Altair to Hyperspace, Omega to Weth, Omega through all and any other system until Weth, etc)

Also, on the alien stations, how would organic alien stations have human fuel ? :D

ONLY if the Starship fuel could be near to infinite, like $, if you can load up to 2000 B... then if each ship would consume a different ammount, arround 10 fuel/Km would be reasonable. But it can't be, as the items in CF are limited, to 50, and 500, fixing something more on planets, 2000 limit.

It'd be a bit of $ wasting (how newbies will fly ? When they finish their intro fuel, and don't have enough to buy more...), also there is an item limit/char and /account.... and fuel is one more to add.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

Edited once, last by Michael ().

• If I'm not mistaken, all ships run off a small nuclear fusion reactor,(just like Mechwarrior! haha) hence the massive BOOM when you are destroyed. Therefore, fuel is no consequence to ships in FL. Besides, we are limited in ammo for missiles, torps and CDs and soon energy crystals for cloaking.

• i wasn't thinking anything like that much fuel consumption, was thinking more like having to refuel after 2 or 3 days heavy flying. the cost would be so minimal that everyone would be able to afford it, maybe $2000 for a tank on a light fighter to maybe $30000 for a BS. this could last for about 20 hours constant flying, more than enough for an excursion into the inner core systems.

i was not thinking so much about the cost, more about the act of having to stop to refuel or for planning a long journey making sure you load up on missiles, CM flares, mines, and then a last minute fuel stop to make sure you have enough.

• 20 hours of constant flying, not rlly, unless the alien stations would have human fuel.

As that won't happen knowing OP's realistic plans (alien stations to have human stuff for sale and production...), 20 horus aren't enough for any trip arorund IC.... as most of them are to collect some guns for stores, or for selling... etc.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• how long do people spend in the alien systems?

no, the alien bases would not stock human fuel but hopefully fuel would last long enough. it would be up to you to determine how long is really needed between stops.
    not trying to ruin peoples fun though by forcing them out of inner core early ofc

• how about a compromise?
    fuel for afterburners

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• OffTopic
    i dont like that my after burns ;D
    hence i would deny any fuel for it too

signature.png

• TECHNICALLY, afterburners just use the leftover crap burnt from using regular engines and therefore have as much fuel as regular engines do. Now if you are talking about some sort of thruster, the way I understand it is they access the same power core that our regular engines do: the nuclear one. Therefore, an afterburner wouldn't work on these engines. So if you want realism, it's great the way it is.

• TECHNICALLY, afterburners just use the leftover crap burnt from using regular engines and therefore have as much fuel as regular engines do. Now if you are talking about some sort of thruster, the way I understand it is they access the same power core that our regular engines do: the nuclear one. Therefore, an afterburner wouldn't work on these engines. So if you want realism, it's great the way it is.

Not entirely true... (from: Aerospaceweb.org )

"An afterburner is simply a long tube
    placed in between the turbine and the nozzle in which additional fuel is added and burned to provide a significant
    boost in thrust. However, afterburners greatly increase fuel consumption, so aircraft can only use them for brief
    periods.
    "

However, I am not convinced trying to make a "science-fiction" game realist is a good approach:girl_smile:
    (like trying to explain Star Wars technologies! i.e: how to make a 1 meter long laser light...)
    just need to take for granted the universe rules sometimes!

- Rear-Admiral Elodie Vox -

-- -- Visit Us!

• Sorry, making traveling more difficult isn't helping much :P

We coul dhave normal thrusters, AND with fuel, the thrusters go faster ! until the fuel ends, THAT would be a cool/efficient idea ^^ while it gives extra good, not extra probs :D

Like Faaby's pictures, the old normal thrusters, as turbojets,
    and thrusters with the extra conduct, for mroe speed while there is extra fuel.

• Whoops, thanks for the info Faaby. I'm still right about the other things though, and so is Orion. The way our ships work is still real as is. Think of it this way. A little power goes from the normal generation and is stored in a buffer. When you activate your thrusters, that buffer is drained. And since the thruster uses power faster than it can regenerate in most cases... You get the idea. I still stand by things being realistic as they are.

• Sorry, making traveling more difficult isn't helping much :P

We coul dhave normal thrusters, AND with fuel, the thrusters go faster ! until the fuel ends, THAT would be a cool/efficient idea ^^ while it gives extra good, not extra probs :D

Like Faaby's pictures, the old normal thrusters, as turbojets,
    and thrusters with the extra conduct, for mroe speed while there is extra fuel.

OK, how about a new thruster which you can buy to replace the existing thruster. this new thruster works exactly the same as a normal thruster except that if you have H-Fuel in your cargo then using it depletes the H-Fuel.
    the trade off is an increased thruster speed around 450ms (same as cruise engines) and while using H-Fuel, the thruster does not drain the thrust reserves.

the H-Fuel would deplete in exactly the same way as perishable items perish in your cargo (Alien organisms and Luxury food)

of course if you run out of H-Fuel then you have a normal thruster again and you can still go flying.

best of all, Dom'Kavash bases sell H-Fuel.

• Yes, that's the idea I made from Faaby's picture ^^ See my previous posts...

still it'd be up to OP heh