Crossfire Story/Quest problems!

There are 22 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Michael.

• Ok i have been playing for a while now and I knew there was a quest to find the Kusari fleet fighting the nomads BUT there was no indication as to how you were meant to FIND OUT MORE, there is nothing specifically telling you at the start in Manhattan to go anywhere or do anything specific.

So I seem to have missed out on that quest because I FOUND the kusari fleet randomly searching for a data disc worth 9million to kick start my character without begging a player for money!

I am not sure whether all the quests tie into each other or if there are more than one or if they are all separate, But I found a wreck with info on it but it refers to characters and events I have not heard of yet (some guy called jack, something about co-ordinates, in the coalition sleeper ship).

If you are going to have a huge universe to explore freely then there should be the MOST DIRECT instructions in the quest stories and wrecks FROM THE START.
    because I have no Idea where the quest starts or how it ends up in Sol or Altair or even the Inner core!
    It is so annoying because I know a lot of work went into making this story/quest but it is failing due to the lack of direction and information at the beginning!

So my main question is: Where do I start the Quest?

I want to know what a NEW player is meant to do if he/she starts in Manhattan and reads all the info in planet Manhattan's bar and the immediate surrounding stations? Are they meant to know what to do next?

Because I see no indication of what a new player is meant to do, Any normal freelancer would just explore into the X-systems or end up being shown where to go to get amazing ships and weapons and that ruins it for them!

I see new players come on-line who may have only played the original SP or Discovery (if not completely new to the game!) and they ask for HELP, Why should so many new players feel so lost and confused?
    If this mod is to be recognised for it's full glory then a new player should be swept up by the quest/story and not need to ask for help because they get all they need from info in Bars and on wrecks...
    They should progress smoothly from Manhattan to the stations and planets surrounding, then to nearby systems where they come across harder enemies, better guns and info on how to get to planet Crossfire or wherever they need to go next...

If there was enough guiding and direction for new players to follow right from the start, instead of the odd player flying around telling them about the inner core or how to farm ancients for guns, then we would not spoil it for them and they might learn some stuff on there own without it being spoiled for them...

I myself would love to help out new players the best way I can, I will give them some credits and some helpful advice on the game mechanics (like selling pods at prisons) and tell them to talk to everyone in the Bars and read all the descriptions of planets and stations. Since so much work was put into the READING in Crossfire it almost feels like a Book :D

So congrats on some amazing writing, it just needs to be smoothed out a bit :)

Clan: ~TR~ "The Runners" Characters: [CYBORG] [Nostromo] Allied Clan: -=UG=- "United Guardians"

"See ya space cowboy!"

• Well the storyline begins at Planet Crossfire. If you read the background story of the CF mod while it activates (cause you got time to spend so why not read a bit^^) you'll have learned of the existance of system X-3043 that was found by scout ships in Omicron Alpha (everyone knows how to go there in the first place).

Then it seems like a good idea to dock on the planet in X-3043. There, ppl need to be curious, ask for rumors, read the news board, consult other players... On Planet Crossfire, ppl will find the quest to find earth and to find the lost Kusari Fleet. The quest message indicates the last position of their fleet was in the *something*-lair system. Just go outside and look at the gates to find the path to take. Then, when you reach a dead end with the clue you got from the bars, you need to start EXPLORING the area to progresss. Finding Earth will come along the way if you follow the other quest...

I won't say more... all that i said was not much spoiling but it will become if i continue...

The thing is that CF's basically an exploration mod. If the quests were too easy to do it would spoil the fun ! If it takes too long to search for the next clue alone, why not take another new player with you ? develop friendships, share secret treasures and fight enemies together to make your life easier ?!

The starter clue (X gate in OmAlpha) is a easy to find in the CF install readme, SWAT forum and i think on ModDB as well... So, if ppl READ a litlte about CF past, they'll find their way ! And like we've said before, there is always experienced players around to give you tips (in MP of course) if you're stuck !

---

I gotta admit i never found the quest starter for the Inner Core thing tho.... I searched for a week and a half before I broke and begged another player (which begged himself someone else that was on the pre-beta testing team) to learn how to get to IC...

May be a clarification by OP is required here !

• Well my main point still stands, that there is not enough direct information about how to get to X... and people are going to end up bumping into later parts of the quest if they explore to find the route to X... but lets say we get to X and realise the system we need to go to is Nomads lair (obvious really)

Clan: ~TR~ "The Runners" Characters: [CYBORG] [Nostromo] Allied Clan: -=UG=- "United Guardians"

"See ya space cowboy!"

Edited once, last by Destroying Angel ().

• Hi Destroying Angel,

Maybe I have for you very bad news :D ... Nomads fighters groups are the weakest from many new NPCs in Crossfire. You must find your own way how fight those nomads, if you want to survive. About disc in Death valley is nothing to found - this is way, how is in CF created a story. Story in CF is created from clues, and if you understand this, you can found in specified locations new jumps, buoys with message or wrecks with data discs. There are also others options, but one thing is the same for all: your way is not easy, maybe better to say is very hard. And this is why many of us so love this mod. This mod is beautiful and hard and we love him, because we found here challenge and more. Without Challenges are games after time pass boring, here you can play years and still found challenges and fun.

About IC: ...I found clues myself, but it take many, many hours playing and fighting some nasty aliens. I remember well adrenaline, when I finally found searched wreck, picked up data disc, and with 1/50 hull remaining created screen-shot and next second being destroyed by alien VHF group :)

• Hello Destroying Angel, and you are absolutely right when you say the quest's clues are a bit confusing...they are! ?(

Most players do the quests out of order and discover later that you missed something or have only a piece of the puzzle.

For me the most confusing part was knowing when the quests were over.

But let me tell you that following the clues, which are at times very vague, is the most difficult part in the quest storyline, as you will find out.

One thing I will tell you is...

Clarification of the quest clues would go a long way to stop any confusion. :thumbup:

• I have no problem fighting Nomads, I can take on a fleet of nomads and about 3 DK gunships and come out smoking but that's the hardest thing I've come up against in an APC or tempest...

As for making the clues and stories easier to follow, I mean just that, not making anything else easier, there's enough amazing stuff going on as a challenge to anyone...

I found the clues on the way to Altair and in Altair much easier to follow than what ever I'm meant to be doing in Sirius and X...

The main problem with some of the wrecks you find or info to read is you have to spend time in a hostile system reading them or you have to take a screenshot, which not everyone is inclined to do or does all the time...

I'm just sure there is a better way of setting up the quest and giving people the right information and clues so they no longer get it all mixed up... Almost everyone I have talked to who has not been playing this game for the past 3 years has the same problems as I do...

but yeah, I have my own way of doing things as many others have as well and it may make some aspects of the game slip past and I concentrate on other areas...

I would like people who know the Full path of the Quest to write it up here or in a new thread in 'spoiler steps' so anyone can come on here and see what they missed or where to go next so as not to miss a chapter in the story :

"See ya space cowboy!"

• whats confusing on the quests?
    ive completely rebuild them to ensure that everyone finds them and even marked the quests
    if you start with the first quest you cant miss one of the following one

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• I think what Destroying is suggesting would be helpful to the players who are lost or confused to the point of where do I go now.

I got lost and went back to redo what I had already covered and I still couldn't understand where to go next. The forum gave me some clues, but only after searching for days. I discovered I was in the middle of the quests and then the clues got so vague I got lost.

Starting a thread with more detailed information for newbies, specifically about the quests/storyline would be helpful IMHO. :thumbsup:

• I too have problems with the mission system. But that is mostly because I'm not used to that system, like many others. The classic system, where you get a clue and it shows up in a diary ie and every next step shows up there too, if you reach it, would be way better. At least easier. My guess is, that this system can't be used and the only way to give information to players is through the static news. I must admit that I still have my bad habbit of ignoring news from my times in Freelancer. Since I don't have any boundaries I keep exploring. For the story it would definetely be better, if you reach a point where you have to solve the quest before you are able to move on.

24/7 SWAT Crossfire Server

Reondryt (Mercenary)
    Reonadan (Trader)

• ...For the story it would definetely be better, if you reach a point where you have to solve the quest before you are able to move on.

The Inner Core quest does that ^^ Try not to take the hypergate if you find it before you are ready and made the previous quest steps. Anyway you'll notice quick enough if you didn't made them :P

• I'm still exploring Crossfire and before I go any further, I'm going after the Quests I found.

Only then I'm starting my fight against the nomads (and the quests that come with that.)

Reondryt (Mercenary)
    Reonadan (Trader)

• Oh look... ANOTHER person who found Sol BEFORE they even knew of the 'Find earth' quest...

"See ya space cowboy!"

• well, what do you expect
    there are only 25 planets and stations with hints where to start the quests on the way from manhattan to sol

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• @ Destroying Angel:
    That is not entirely right. I knew of Sol before. I was talking to another player if there aren't any quests and he told me about the news and that one of them was to find Sol. Sometime I arrived there but I was not equiped good enough to start any quests (imho). Now the Quest on the news just sounds weird since I already was on the planet. I also have to admit, that I only remember the title of the quest, not what it tells me to do...

Reondryt (Mercenary)
    Reonadan (Trader)

• Sounds like you guys are in the middle of one quest just like I was.

May I suggest you return to the beginning , New York system, and start to pay more attention to Rumours and News items in bars.

Oh by the way, I think there is 3 quests, but I'm not sure.

The spoiler forum would be a place to look first for any answers.

Good luck and have fun. :thumbsup:

• you might spoil what NY is and where you can find this system - just to make it easiert to explore.
    BTW whenever i need to explore systems - and in the vanilla system this feature is working plenary - i open the map, select the show routes and follow those routes to junctions (probably stations, jumpholes whatever - and i extend my radar to show everything around - so you can easily find wrecks, floating containers, obvious hidden stuff)...

signature.png