Crossfire 1.8 Feedback

There are 149 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Martind Forlon (SA_Forlon).

Originally posted by SWAT_OP-R8R
    only if Haegar and I consider this a technically possible

Dumb question (only relating to the technology part): Wouldn't it be easier to build character-manipulation features (such as a bank) into a web application (rather than into the in-game console)?

You would have complete control that way (and more flexible user interfaces).

If I am totally off base on that, then just ignore me. :rolleyes:

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

• easy is very relative

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Originally posted by SWAT_OP-R8R
    easy is very relative

So very true!

I said "easier" :), but I understand your point. You're trying to get things stable and updated, while other folks are sharing their dreams of the future.

And I know how long the hours can be. Almost all projects take longer than originally planned, and you sounded tired yesterday.

I was just thinking outside the box... that character manipulation does not need to be done in real time, therefore it does not need to be done inside the game engine, which has limited User Interface ability, and other limitations.

But it's more of a theoretical idea than anything else, because you've already said "no" several times. Use it if it helps you in the future, or toss it.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

• character manipulations have to be done in real time
    otherwise you risk damaging chars

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Good job on 1.8, OP, I flew around a bit and am thrilled by (among other things) the sound of normal jumpgate (when in tunnel, sounds like Andromeda Ascendant's slip stream). Keep up the good work! :)

You're pretty firm on that no-unlocking-vanilla-locked-jumpholes-and-jumpgates thing, huh? No way to change your mind? :D

|DP|Shock · |DP|Shockwave · |DP|Skyfall · |DP|Red.Dwarf

• no way

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• OP , is 1.81v of Crossfire the final ? I suppose i must download it again ... are the characters wiped ?

• im definitly not going to release another version
    all remaining problems can get fixed via the launcher

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• That's good to hear :D

The BSG Galactica mod is called 1.84... and we got to 1.81 lol. if we keept it up, it would be looking as we are just some retarded mod that didn't updated to the latest version xD

Anyway, the server was stable, except the little half second short yellow laggs for loads, that cus the Ping optimizer wasn't up. :)

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• yeah - i was busy the past 3 weeks fixing bugs and now that the worst problems got solved i finally need to config the server
    biggest problem atm is the read/write access of the hdd... as you can imagine even a good server will have its problems dealing with a mod that has more than 3 gb size
    I can compensate this size problem but that takes a bit time... probably saturday everything will run smooth. I at least need 3 days for building the lag reduction kit and doing a few server setting to optimize the memory load

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• omg, that looks tought. But you have experience with that...

and great job on the fixes now :)

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• [SIZE=3]Still fighting my way trough[/SIZE] [SIZE=1]as "normal singleplayer"[/SIZE] .

The backgrounds, the nebulas, the NPC's AI, the musik, the atmosphere ...... it's all just
    [203] [203] [203] [203] [203] [203] [203] [203] [203] [203]

[307] [SIZE=3]Thank you OP[/SIZE] [307]

One thing I encountered already in CF 1.7 and again here,
    the stations population in the crossfire systems are a bit ...well "mixed up".
    I.e.:
    Ghats Prison - when you dock: a liberty police station but populated with junkers and rogues.... no rumors, no jobs
    I.e.:
    Empire station - Bretonia police station, populated by junkers who tell you they work for the liberty police.

It makes flight- and docking-planning a bit difficult, when you want to go to a DSE base, but the police docking ring won't let you land [SIZE=1]( due to some "minor troubles" one had earlier on )[/SIZE] .

Any changes on this possible/planned ?

EDIT: FURTHER ADDITIONAL FEEDBACK

After also starting with a try on the server, and after the procedure of deinstallind-reinstalling-deistalling-.......

I now found out what niggeled me all the time on singleplay:

There are even LESS NPCs around than in the pure, original Freelancer game !8o

Would it be possible to change that without interfering with the MP-part ?
    ( If so OF COURSE only by you OP ! I will not touch it, PROMISE ! )

Also something I -personally- find a bit annoying on the server is the piloting of the NPCs there.
    The NPCs in SP are already a nuissance (as they are supposed to be:D ) with their drunkard flying-style but what they perform on the server is just ridicoulusly "unhuman". They move like a "chance-generator" [SIZE=1](please excuse my bad vocabulary here, I hope you get whate I mean)[/SIZE] on a fairly bad mixture of dope and speed.

- stop'n'go from naught to fullspeed in notime as if they are on the Kurfürstendamm in Berlin on rushhour

- strafing left-right-up-down rocky-rucky like the framerate when playing X3Reunion on an old 1st-generation sempron pc

They are still well beatable, since they stick to a more defensive (running away) tactic, but...well... it just looks crazy,
    getting me more occupied with laughing at them than actually shooting.

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• because FLMM is stupid
    FLMM has problems if there are file in the FL directory which dont belong there.... unfortunatly FLMM is also the reason why there are files in the FL directory which dont belong there.
    next to that FLMM enables copy protection to mod files which is the next problem that FLMM does cause and which prevents the deactivation of mods
    last but not least FLMM has some minor scripting errors

but hey... if you use a clean installation of FL then FLMM should work... fine
    and once installed nobody would want to de-install CF

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Enemy squad VHF (or gunboats) located directly at hole exit is bit exaggerated and player virtually hav no chance to defend - be destroyed ca 0,2 sec after exit blackhole (gate). ... . It will be very nice, if there would be at least 1 sec time for some reacting (ship can move).

..fresh experience after entering Menton System (on map Menton S. even do not see the point of exit [3] :D :D :D )