Mission 36: Crash after launching for next mission (go to Altair)

There are 62 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by GunnyMike.

• New to SWAT PORTAL. Reviewed MANY threads and have not as yet found a related issue...so here goes:

After Mission 36:

After returning to the Order in SOL, the next mission is to go to Altair. I Launch, then get the mission brief screen, and when I press CONTINUE I crash to the desktop with the Launcher still present. I then get the "Program stopped running..." error message and the only direction is to "Close Program". I tried many times with no luck. I went backward one mission and re-ran it successfully. Got to the Order in SOL and went for the next mission and the same exact error occurred. No other errors have occurred during the entire game until now.

I have not updated, play SP mode only, FL vanilla, new cursor set to #1.

I use Win 7 (all files updated), NVidia GTX 780M. I installed FL , then the FL Patch, then Crossfire 2.0 (FLMM NOT installed).

I would really like some assistance...I do want to complete the game, which is great!!!

Thanks in advance,

GunnyMike

Never Outgunned

• GunnyMike

Changed the title of the thread from “Mission 36: Crash after launching for mext mission (go to Altair)” to “Mission 36: Crash after launching for next mission (go to Altair)”.
  • An additional comment or two concerning some "other" problems that seem to be associated with the "Mission 36 Crash" as I previously posted.

1. I obtained (much earlier in the campaign) Phoenix Cannons. While in space the Cannons are visible and work.

2. However, when I get to Manhattan from the "Rift", the Cannons are not visible on the ship! Also, the Cannons in the weapons readout are not named though do have their characteristics shown with no "Title" to these attributes as well. It makes it "appear" that there are no weapons mounted in those slots, but they are.

3. I've tried FL vanilla, FL vanilla (Legacy) as well as DX10/11/12, as recommended. No changes to these "problems" have been noted.

Again, I'd like to finish the game, so, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

GunnyMike

Never Outgunned

• Assuming you returned from renaissance space during the mission break I can only suggest to load the savegame before doing the bonus mission.

The other stuff you describe with missing cannon stuff I think the installation is bugged.

Also when you say that you did not update... that is not really advised. Updates exist for a reason.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• First, thanks for the replies.

To respond:

1. To CyberBluejacket: No, I save myself and never use Auto-save.

2. To SWAT_OP-R8R: I am not sure what you mean by "Bonus Mission" (would you please explain).

I finish getting the Key and the Device then head back to Altair, get cut off by the Coalition, then I am let free and I return to finding the Altair route and I do. I get back to Manhattan, go meet "The Captain" and launch. When the launch cut scene ends and I get what I call a "Mission brief summary", I press on CONTINUE and the game crashes.

I have re-installed after deleting all saved games after the "Key and Device" journey and I then repeated that mission and yes, when I get back to Manhattan, leave and meet the Captain, launch and it crashes.

Only as a sidebar - during the Freelancer part, when I played on another day, I saw the SP Update Notice and did it. After that, my mouse movements were sluggish, somewhat semi-responsive (as if there was a visible lag), so I uninstalled and re-installed and did not update again. All went very well until this mission.

Prior to my last re-install, I checked drivers and virus (etc) programs, ran those, found nothing out of the norm, defragged, rebooted and then installed. I went back to mission 13, Toledo and re-played. Again, all went well until it crashed in the same spot and the same way.

Also, per my habits, I uninstall FL, and begin with a fresh install of FL, then the patch, then Crossfire.

Hope to hear back soon 'cause I'm still anxious to finish the game!!

GunnyMike

Never Outgunned

• Additional information I think might be relevant:

I first downloaded Crossfire from the ModDB site (Amber).
    My re-installs used that Zip file.
    I never saw the "bonus mission" info until now since I just downloaded from SWAT Portal!!!
    I have removed everything, cleaned up the PC, did all virus (etc.) scans, defragged and reloaded all (FL, FL Patch, Crossfire) and I will be re-starting the game.
    I plan on using previous saved games, though only the saved games prior to Mission 24.

I appreciate the replies and heads up given and will come back to this after I actually restart and play.

GunnyMike

Never Outgunned

• Now I am really frustrated and also confused.

I uninstalled everything, cleaned and scanned and defragged.

I downloaded Crossfire from SWAT PORTAL (v2.0.1).

Loaded FL, FLPatch1.1, Crossfire.

All saved missions, starting with Crossfire Mission 1, show all of Crossfire's new equipment(s) as "IDS?".

There are no names shown for these, and no descriptions of what they actually are, except for guns.

I deleted all the Crossfire saved games, insured they were also gone from Single Player Backups, and restarted from FL mission 1 (SP).

I played all night and got to Crossfire Mission 1, and the same "IDS?" stuff was there!

I then made sure I obtained the updates (846 of them) and went back into the game as a SP.

There was no change.

NOTE: The first time I played, everything was great, no anomalies until mission 36 (Go To Altair).

I have no ideas as to how to address this...But I hope you have!

GunnyMike

Never Outgunned

• By cleaning all you mean cleaning residue from registry also? I recomend using third party uninstalation software for cleaning im using revo uninstaller. Im teling you this becose your problems seam like some setings and some residue files remaining and make confusion with the new ones that hepened to me not with this game only then i sterted to use uninstalation software for true cleaning I do not advertise any software but cleaning registry base by hand is a drag and you can oversean something. Also have you try to install game and crossfire on another partition? I do that with all games and its working fine. And last but not least i recomend graphic driver update.

• bokipk,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do use Revo also! I do a thorough "cleaning" from the Reg, I run virus, malware and spyware routines as well. I load the game on an External HD.

From the beginning, ALL went well until actually on the Deliverance, given the mission to Altair after meeting the Captain, launching out the door and then the "mission briefing recap" appears (as usual) and I press "Continue"...and it crashes. I never use Autosave, I save and name the save whenever I am docked (an old protection habit).

All my drivers are up-to-date and I use Win 7 on an Alienware laptop with a GTX-780M NVidia card and nothing running in the background.

I have run with DX10/11/12, and with FL Vanilla...and run with no updates, as well as with updates...and it still crashes in the same spot.

I even re-downloaded from SWAT Portal and started as if for the first time. My original download was from ModDB (not a slur).

I have now played through the game (until the crash) 4 times with no change...still crashes in the same spot. I don't think the Deliverance Captain likes me!

I did notice that in one location, the FL Patch is to be used, and in another location it is not to be used (so which is it really)??? Of course, no FLMM!

I am totally out of ideas.

BUT, I'd still appreciate any advice to help because I really like Crossfire and would love to be able to finish the game.

GunnyMike

Never Outgunned

• Hmm .. can you please upload your latest save game and latest mission save? GunnyMike . I don't think it is graphic related, imo it is almost for sure campaign script related issue. Im only not sure in which moment of campaign GunnyMike is. Something is not working correctly and game crashes because storyline is not able continue like it should.

• OK, this might be a long one:

First, if it was a snake it would have bit me! I just loaded everything on my Win 10 machine and have had no problems getting to Deliverance and moving on! This was as a result of bokipk suggesting use another partition...and I realized the use of my other laptop. {I am at the Dyson Sphere mission and on Icarus Station as a result!}

The graphics effects are as follows (best I can report):

1. With the Weapons of Crossfire (not FL) they all function fine and appear on the ship when in space. When flying to/from any docking (in atmosphere) those weps do not appear on the ship. Same as when on any landing pad, or engaged with Equipment Dealer.

2. Some Crossfire weapons show no name ("IDS?" is shown instead), such as the Phoenix Cannon and 2 more that I have never known the names of (Classes 9 and 10) though the STATS and PRICES are shown. Yet, I have Vulcan Battery and Kelyrd-ray Projector. {INFO NOTE: I got the Phoenix Cannon and Vulcan Battery at Kuibyshew Outpost in Sovetskaya and after the mission 36 problems both names are "IDS?".

3. When at a Commodities or Equipment Dealer, some items, in any every category, show "IDS?" as the name of the item. There is no Description for an item yet there are STATS and PRICES.

ALL of this only happened AFTER that first run through of Mission 36. Any Saved Game prior to that mission also exhibits the same effects. (it's as if a DLL got a byte in the

rear)

I'm not a software guy yet I think there might be some data there that may be, at least, curious.

OK, so what do I do when the Airlock doesn't/won't open? My Reactor Core is melting!

GunnyMike

Never Outgunned

• OK we both Martind Forlon and i was right my suspicions was graphic isues and Marinds corupted saves. Also i also was suspicios of software problems and forget that you using win7 and old redists like directx, vc_redists and netfx .Nevermind the game is old but crossfire is relatively new and using new platforms only by install. Transfering to win 10 solved some problems but corupted save remains. So delete game clean up and first install or update all things i mentioned get rid off any save that you have before and start fresh. Or you can just install win10 :D. Other then all this some virus or just software incompatibility can corupt saves which are located at dokuments folder not at game itself.

• IDS? is an indication that files are missing

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Thanks to all for the replies.

I went back to the last FL mission and re-ran it. When I went to Crossfire Mission 1 and proceeded. When I got to the Sovetskaya system, and stopped at Kuibyshew, I got the Phoenix Cannon and Vulcan Battery but saw other guns that were labelled "IDS?" And, when at the dock, the Phoenix did not appear yet the Vulcan did??

So, what file might be missing? I'd like to check. Again, note that the guns all work well and ARE seen in space flight only.

And, what do I after getting the Reactor Core from Nomad City? I go back to Icarus Station and wait for a mission....and wait and wait with no apparent input!

GunnyMike

Never Outgunned

• From Icarus station I think leads Trent path into Omega-3 and from there to Inner Core Sector for ... well this could be called as a spoiler :)

... btw missing stuff means that installation did not worked correctly. If you did all things right (latest installer which also activates this mod should work well), and there is not interference of antivirus or windows, then there may be issue with vanilla game installation. We had here some cases when was used non-original freelancer source and it led into problems.

• Knowing what missing file leads to the ids issue (namesresources.dll) is irrelevant actually because even if you manage to fix this one the question is how many others also have an issue.

Actually, you don't even need to bother trying to take a look if the file exists. It does because the original game also has this file but it is a different version.

Most likely the file (or several files) from the original FL installation were write protected and therefore could not be patched by the installer... or some third party tool just prevented access to these files (hard to tell).

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• SWAT_OP-R8R,

I understand what you mean about write protected files. What I do not understand is this: When I first started, and up to Mission 36, These "IDS?"'s did not

appear. Up until that Mission ALL equipment (weapons, shields, scanners, tractors, ships) was shown with full descriptions and Stats. After that one mission,

the "IDS?" and lack of descriptions and names went retroactive! Past missions, even in the FL part, indicate the same errors?!?

I have re-downloaded Crossfire (2.0.1), cleared and cleaned the PC and re-installed (FL from Disc, NO PATCH, then Crossfire). I did not include any previous

game saves at all. When I started a new game in FL, I went to the Equipment dealer on Manhattan and there was the same errors!

So, why work through all those missions and then errors (suddenly), why are errors now retro to previous saved games, and why do the errors occur in a fresh

install with no saved games??

I am still playing the same game on my WIN 7 PC, have gotten to Level 79, but still cannot open the SOL Rift Anomaly to get back to Coalition Space.

How do I do that one?

GunnyMike

Never Outgunned

• The entire game, no matter if you are playing multiplayer, openSP, singleplayer story (no matter which mission) loads all the text displayed from specific files.

It does not matter if you are on mission 1 or mission 40 it fetches the text displayed always from the same file.

So if it was working before and is not working now then something must have deleted or damaged the file with the text strings.

This is not an error with the mod... this is something that happens exclusively on your PC (otherwise other players would experience the same issue).

This is not meant to a excuse... I just try to point out that this is a very isolated issue most likely related to a 3rd party tool on your PC. Maybe an antivir tool thinks it has to put the dll into quarantine (in that case I would suggest to submit the file to th antivir tool developer for a detail check and getting it flagged as false positive).

Maybe it is a faulty drive. Maybe its a issue with user permissions. I can only guess here.

From the many years that I get reports about issues like these the fast majority was due to AV tools saying "oh this file has a signature i dont like, lets put it into quarantine" or players installing the mod into locations with limited access permissions.

The names resources.dll should be 471.552 bytes big. If it isn't in your case then above applies.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,