Community + Server /thoughts

There are 65 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• yeah, that is not so easy to do but ill try to find a solution for it

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Ok i managed to include an additional input page between point 5 and 6 which allows the selection of a folder.

This Input page will only display if the Freelancer.exe version that the registry leads to is different from vanilla FL. If the version is correct the input simply wont display.

The folder selection only will be considered valid if a Freelancer.exe actually is in that folder.

So far this new input page has no further connectivity to the other functions of the installer -> work in progress.

Ill try to find a way to pass over the selection or the initial result to the other functions later tomorrow. All this stuff takes much time... which is not really surprising since I am coding this in a language I never learned.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Hmmm... is there a way to include both FL & CF in the whole package?

I don't like "advertising" other mods out here, but you know of this particular mod that offers Freelancer for free because the game itself is no longer available in the stores, or can barely be found and hats off to those who offer the FL iso for free.

However, is the Freelancer iso copyrighted or isn't it, I have no idea. But if it's not, shouldn't be best if the installer actually installs both the game and the mod? (example: Install -> Freelancer: Crossfire)

- Just an idea.

Edited once, last by ILIYAN ().

• That would be illegal. Those hosting the iso better don't get caught. This does not only violate copyright laws, it most certainly violates the terms of use of the server provider. Just because something isn't currently available doesn't give somebody the right to make it available.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Uuum... I was actually talking about a FL community which is very famous and has a lot of members (again... I'd rather not advertise other mods here) and they got the FL iso uploaded alongside their mod on their website.

But other than that, yeah... you're totally right.

• which is not really surprising since I am coding this in a language I never learned.

Been there done that (most of my work is done in Fortran and Python, I started learning both about an year ago),

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

• Uuum... I was actually talking about a FL community which is very famous and has a lot of members (again... I'd rather not advertise other mods here) and they got the FL iso uploaded alongside their mod on their website.

But other than that, yeah... you're totally right.

Yeah and if somebody would want to start trouble a message to the server provider would lead to very unpleasant results for that other FL community. Just saying...

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Mhm and I always thought that they got the rights from Microsoft, but now, I somehow doubt it. But who knows though and besides, I don't care, lol... I really don't. All that matters is the Freelancer Community (in general), because this game is a masterpiece and it's a shame that it's slowly dying.

Anyways, I stop with the 'off-topic'.

Edited 2 times, last by ILIYAN ().

• Here's another idea though:

Aside from the "Prior to Installation" checks, what if there is an Option to check if all files have been installed correctly? After installing the mod, an "integrity check" (if you will) would run a check to see if everything has been installed as it should.

• Yeah would be nice... but considering that players can make many custom choices it would be impossible to do such a check on thousands of files.

The earlier discussed custom FL path selection if no original FL installation is found in the default path is working now. Took the entire day to code due to various problems but it is working now.

The final location of that input page changed to be between point 4 and 5 (this seems to be more logical).

The version check got improved and now includes a fileversion and productversion check.

If these checks fit to vanilla FL the new custom page wont show up and the default Freelancer path will be used later on.

If these checks do not fit to vanilla FL the custom page will allow you to select the Freelancer.exe of an alternative Freelancer folder. This alternative folder will be used later on for the installation process.

If this newly selected alternative folder is not a vanilla FL installation the setup will abort prior copying the files later on (there is a 2nd background check dealing with this possibility).

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Please folks ... stop with offtopics here right now.

• Well, I have a better idea.

What if when the Police license is mounted there are sirens added to the ship? You know... just like when someone is docking at a station/base, there are lights that are flickering and the sirens can function in a similar way when enabled via a console command like uum... "/siren on/off" for example or a key that when pressed can enable/disable them.

Those sirens can be indeed in blue, but the license itself can remain green. IMHO, I don't care what the license colors are (just to point that out again).

And if that is achievable, maybe we can figure something out for the rest of the RPs (Smuggler/Pirate/Mercenary/ASF/CSF).

• Just for the record: This was about changing something on the launcher not the mod itself...

Edit by
    Forlon: I did some cleaning and moved these offtopic into color thread ...

• Now the user can select where to install Crossfire.
    Unlike before the user can NOT select the folder where Crossfire will be installed. You only have the choice to select on which drive Crossfire is going to be installed. A default installation folder will be created automatically on that drive. This will prevent that users install Crossfire into a folder which requires special user rights. Installing the mod into "c:\program files(86)\" won't be possible anymore.

I understand the reason, but trashing me a freelancer directory in the root of any of my drives.... I really don't like it.
    If possible, the installer should check access rights before installing into a selected directory,
    or if that is too complicated - just deny c:\program files as directory.

• No it is not possible to check access rights and "c:\program files" is not the only potential folder with restricted access rights. This is a highly custom setting on every PC.

The solution we came up with is not different from the big installers like e.g. Steam, Epic, etc.

There you also don't have a choice other than on which drive you want to install everything.

IF you decide to move the folder to a different location after the installation is your personal decision and risk.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Honestly, I would call that vandalism if you write into one of my roots without an option to change install path.
    I have a lot of games installed, there's NONE that doesn't give me a choice, not even very old w95 games that had no clue of access rights.
    And as you said, access rights is a very custom setting, so you can't be sure that you have root write-access to any drive/volume neither, so I don't think that's a valid argument. In my opinion there's only one directory that makes problems on windows (if a program wants to write into it's program directory, which is unfortunately but inevitable the case for CF), that's the programs folder that is restricted to installer, if you deny install to there, I think there're not many problems ahead.

• I call it a fortunate circumstance that I won't install it on your HDD.... you will.

And just for clarification. Over the years I have observed people installing CF is the most ridiculous places... like the user folder... the very restricted apps folder... in x64 folders etc.

To exclude one or even a few folders which could be problematic does not prevent people to find other equally problematic locations. Therefore the decision to use a drive selection instead is the best of all choices. If you don't like it you are free to move the folder... or you are free to use the old installer (with all its disadvantages).

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• And just for clarification. Over the years I have observed people installing CF is the most ridiculous places... like the user folder... the very restricted apps folder... in x64 folders etc.

To exclude one or even a few folders which could be problematic does not prevent people to find other equally problematic locations. Therefore the decision to use a drive selection instead is the best of all choices. If you don't like it you are free to move the folder... or you are free to use the old installer (with all its disadvantages).

I will not move program folders around, if you decide to hardwire the installation-directory I just will not install.
    That's sure a personal favor, you should go on with what you think its best for the player-base.

• *sigh*

hmmmk

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I say

If it Ain't Broken

Don't Fix It

:salutes Fools Rush In Where Angels Fear To Tread :patsch: :salutes
    :salutes A Fool and Their Credits are Easily Parted :D
    :salutes Softly, Softly, Catchy Freelancer :P :salutes
    :salutes SMILE :) It Breaks up the Time Between Disasters :thumbsup:
    :salutes I can Only Please one Person Per Day.Today is Not Your Day And Tomorrow does Not Look Good Either :thumbdown: :salutes