Couldn't avoid laughing

There are 12 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Balefire.

• Having returned to Crossfire after a rather long absence, I redid the campaign, did the cool new side mission and explored the new region, and have settled down, in my well-equipped Haidar for now, to doing some itinerant trading and thorough (re)exploration.

Now, I know that it's unkind to laugh at others' misfortune.

While investigating wrecks in Coalition space, though, I found a couple of back story explanations that had me chuckling despite my best intentions.

It's difficult, for example, not to laugh at the hubris that drove a couple of Xeno pilots to take on the entire Coalition by themselves, with entirely predictable results.

But I found it impossible to avoid laughing after a careful investigation of a larger wreck elsewhere in Coalition space.

At first, when I learned that the ill-fated crew had run into trouble while chasing random scanner echoes, I felt sorry for them.

When I...ah...liberated their cargo--"looted" has such a negative sound--I became considerably less sympathetic.

They had a full load of cardamine, and I'd be willing to bet that it was sampling their cargo that led the crew to see/hear spurious scanner echoes.

Aide from the possible profits to be made from further investigation of wrecks, I now have another motivation: some of the stories behind them are pretty funny.

• Those two Xeno nutters are mah bois, glad you liked their story!

A ship crew getting high on Cardamine and going off course due to trippin' balls was not my idea though. At least, I do not remember writing that, so I wonder who managed to one-up me.

Not that it's hard to do, I'm not as smart with writing stuff as I might seem.

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

Edited 2 times, last by Ajay ().

• im sure they were muggers

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• A ship crew getting high on Cardamine and going off course due to trippin' balls was not my idea though. At least, I do not remember writing that, so I wonder who managed to one-up me.

Well, nobody actually said so, but the combination of a hold full of cardamine and having come to grief from following illusory sensor echoes seemed suspiciously like cause and effect to me. Possibly I have a nasty imagination, with a distinctly cynical bent.

• IKR? This was what I loved the flak out of in original FL and various mods I tried before I settled down here. I like the worldbuilding, I can't help it.

• Here's an example of how well planned Freelancer/CF2.0 has been: you have to queue at a Jump Gate or Planet Station if its already in use (something else travelling either way). You can't just elbow your way to the front. You have to wait your turn for the all clear by the controller, before being allowing access. Safeguards against a risk of a collision. I assume the same applies a our airports.

ED? You just take-off/land when it suits you! No asking permission. You can met somebody coming the other way! Even meet them in the entry/exit slot! That's just bad, lazy programming.

And that's why I love CF2.0. Its been carefully planned.

• you have to queue at a Jump Gate or Planet Station if its already in use

And then something fat and stupid like a Transport or a Train gets stuck. But even then the gate gives it some time to think and then will just let the next one pass.

Also Freelancers have priority, apparently.

• Here's an example of how well planned Freelancer/CF2.0 has been: you have to queue at a Jump Gate or Planet Station if its already in use (something else travelling either way). You can't just elbow your way to the front. You have to wait your turn for the all clear by the controller, before being allowing access. Safeguards against a risk of a collision. I assume the same applies a our airports.

ED? You just take-off/land when it suits you! No asking permission. You can met somebody coming the other way! Even meet them in the entry/exit slot! That's just bad, lazy programming.

And that's why I love CF2.0. Its been carefully planned.

Oh dear………. this sounds like "another bitching pilot" ……. Which it is! ……… however ……… stop comparing Wombat or p**s off back to that other sim!!! ;)

• Oh dear………. this sounds like "another bitching pilot" ……. Which it is! ……… however ……… stop comparing Wombat or p**s off back to that other sim!!! ;)

Yes ........ and I will …….. Too many people here are so supportive of ED. Many of these people I greatly admire. :thankyou:

I WON'T BE BEATEN! Here's to a new beginning. :imsohappy:Sorry ….. a new, new beginning, ……. sorry …… maybe a new, new, NEW beginning. ;)

• wombat1940 Are you talking with yourself here? I'm questioning whether or not should I leave these posts disabled...

Anyway... you can clip with other players in CF MP when both players exit the docking ring, for example.

• you have to queue at a Jump Gate or Planet Station if its already in use (something else travelling either way). You can't just elbow your way to the front.

There is a walk-around for waiting: just enter formation with the NPCs that are currently docking, and you will jump together with them :)

• There is a walk-around for waiting: just enter formation with the NPCs that are currently docking, and you will jump together with them :)

That's clever; thanks for the useful tip!

I'm surprised at myself for not having (as far as I remember) ever tried that.

There have certainly been many, many times when it would have come in handy.