Crossfire + Windows 10 build 1809

There are 58 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by (IOC)Son of Angmar.

• I can not allow that but I probably can also not prevent you from doing that.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• To OP:

I am not going to break any rules, it was only a suggestion from me :)

To keep it simple: if anyone need help with the install, message me :)

• Hey there Ray!

Make sure to install Freelancer Mod Manager first, but do not run it directly after install.
    Then install CF mod ( during the install, it usually finds the Mod Manager's "mods" folder, if not then tell it where it is ), then let it install ( usually 5-10 minutes depending on configuration ).
    After CF has been installed, launch the Mod Manager, you should see Crossfire mod in the "available mods", click on it, adjust the settings to your preference, then install. It will look like that the Mod Manager hangs, but it actually works, give some time for it.
    After the CF activation is successful, try to launch CF mod from your desktop ( if you let the program create the shortcut for you, if not then search the launcher )
    The first launch will take some time ( the launcher needs to update ), then everything should go smoothly. If not, refer to Crossfire launch error codes ( there is a post for it on the forum ) or feel free to ask for any further advice :)

Good luck!
    Exxo

• no suggestions unfortunatly since i dont understand how this error still could happen eventhough the source of the error was bypassed

maybe we can do a teamviewer session so I can investigate on this issue on your PC?

I can not reproduce it on my PC.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Ok, i activated DirectPlay in Windows Components (y the fuck is this disabled???)

Then did a fresh install

Selected Vanilla FL Shader

The usual Error Code showed up

Deleted Launcher.ini

Selected Vanilla FL Shader again

Now it´s running flawlessly in Vanilla FL Shaders!!!!! :-)

OMFG Exxo, thank you so muuuuuchhhh!!!!!

With other Shaders i still got the same Error Message

• No problem, glad you managed it :)
    Windows 10 keeps Directplay disabled by default :)
    With shaders, i stick with vanilla ones, still beautiful, and with the other shaders, i cannot see the intro videos, just saying :)

• I had a Teamview session yesterday evening with a player that had problems getting Crossfire to work.

A good opportunity to see the problem from a different perspective.

I think there are 3 key issues that could lead to problems.

1. A disabled DirectPlay in Windows 10.
      Windows 10 by default has this feature disabled (god knows why).
      Here you can read how to enable it: How to Enable the Ultimate Performance Power Plan in Windows 10
    2. The next common problem is when the game is getting installed into the "C:\Program Files x86\... " directory.
      This could lead to user permission issues.
      It is much better to install the game into the root directory of a HDD/SSD -> e.g. "C:\Freelancer\"
    3. And finally Windows 10 build 1809 is an issue due to the changes that were done to the DirectX functions of that build.
      The workaround that I created bypasses these functions and allows the mod to run at least under the Vanilla FL shader setting until I can provide a better fix.
      However, yesterday I noticed a minor issue in which the workaround did not apply instantly. I got it to work but it took additional steps.
      Not a big deal actually but uncomfortable especially for players which install the mod the very first time.
      Thats why I changed a few default settings. Now the workaround should apply on the first try (especially for new players).
      The instruction how to apply this workaround remain the same.

Sometimes a different perspective helps to see the issues more clearly.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• After a few hundred tests on vanilla FL it looks like I have a working solution.... at least for one of the settings so far. No crashes with active shaders under Windows 10 version 1809.

Ill try to apply this to the other available settings tomorrow.

Depending on the results I might have to completely rebuild the shader options on the launcher (my current solution is working somewhat different than the options before) or I might add a compatibility option. Dunno yet.

It also might be worth testing that stuff on older windows versions prior releasing it.

Thats a huge step into the right direction.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• hmmk

I have multiple working solutions now for enb, sweetfx and reshade.

Most likely it will be best to completely rebuild the shader options since my solutions work totally different from what we used before.

I can imagine having more fixed options that offer various settings.

On top of that I would provide one option that renders the game in dx10 instead of just dx8/dx9 and allows players to do custom shader settings in the game.

Most players might stick with the default options but for some the custom shader option might be a very interesting alternative.

It might take a few days to write new config files and try to figure out how to distribute that shader update.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• The update will most likely be released tomorrow afternoon/evening.

I still need a few hours preparing the update process since everything became a bit bigger and more complex in the end.

391 files - 36mb

3 enb shader variations

11 SweetFx+Reshade variations

1 Rehade on dx10 which is fully customizable (you can create and store your own presets in the game)

Vanilla FL

ENB Default

ENB Oversaturated

ENB MotionBlur + Sharpen

RS+SFX SMAA Min

RS+SFX FXAA Min

RS+SFX SMAA Default

RS+SFX FXAA Default

RS+SFX SMAA Full

RS+SFX FXAA Full

RS+SFX MotionFocus

RS+SFX Emboss

RS+SFX Filmic

RS+SFX 8mm

RS+SFX VHS

Reshade DX10

I tried to keep the controls as similar as possible but that did not 100% work.

ENB activation is via Shift+F12

RS+SFX activation is F12

The Dx10 Reshade also is F12 while the config menu can be accessed via F11. It also should be the most resource intense version but it provides the most customization options.

I also noticed that all the intro videos are playing correctly now but I am not sure if that is a positive side effect from the new shaders or if there is some windows setting that I did which now is causing the vids to play without black overlay.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• One known individual reports white textures with the new shader updates, even with vanilla shaders. Asked him to post some screenshots in the thread but we'll see... If this update was specific for the "1804" build, could it cause trouble for other builds of Win10?

I have no issues in Win7. Win8 user reports no problems either... So far it's only limited to him, nobody else currently online have any issues.

Asked the person to come here and post some screenies and report the problem but we'll see...

• The vanilla shader option is exactly the same as the one we had prior this update. I see no way how (especially this option) could lead to such problems.

Maybe a restart of the PC would help... dunno.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I don't know that it was because of update or some evil forces,but yesterday afternoon when i started game i got small pop up loading-window with message "trying to update launcher",during game loading some text appear at left corner,forget what was it,debugging,press shift and something same time,etc.Anyway,after i log in to game all loading screens was black,jumps etc.When i logged out,checked shader options and it was changed to "NB default",i have checked "no selection" back and all is okejs now.:ninja:

SASxema.gif

• actually sounds ok... except the black screen

if one shader does not work for you... select a different one

they use different methods and most likely not all are supported by every graphic card.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• works fine

VHS is a little bit Crazy

but is very nice ....

thx for that SWAT_OP-R8R

"If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him."
    "If he is in superior strength, evade him."
    "If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him."
    "Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant."
    "If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them."
    "If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them."
    "Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected."
    SunTzu - The art of War

• Tried two of new RS's on my laptop and it worked nicely :) Thx OP!

• Thanks for your hard work again OP much appreciated mate yet again you've saved the day my friend cheer first round of beers are on me lads ;)

Lost But Never Forgotten The Angels have got you in a better Place now Dad !
    - R.I.P. Angmar Witch-king 1955-2012 -