brainteasers

There are 148 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by (IOC)Wanderer.

• It's either 25 if there is a room in the pyramid if no room then it has to be 30 as Rayden said....one assumes a square pyramid.

==========================???:?::!::?:(HiRUGAs' WEB) :?::!::?:???=========================

Red Red White Center @Sun Exit Red Green Red Orange White Center & Your Out ..........End of Line :) :)

• the question is inaccurate
    it is not 100% clear what is meant

it requires 30 balls to form such a pyramid in theory if full, 25 if hollow, but actually the picture is only showing 16 balls

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• im not sure how you get to 40

first layer is 4 rows 4 colums = 16 balls
    2nd layer is 3x3 = 9 balls
    3rd layer is 2x2 = 4 balls
    4th layer is 1 ball

16 + 9 + 4 + 1 = 30
    That of course if we are talking about a full pyramid of balls and not a pyramid consisting just of an outer shell.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• According to my calculations,
    1) if the pyramid is rectangular (each ball leans on 4 balls from the layer below), then the k-th layer from top has N[k]=k^2 balls;
    2) if the pyramid is hexagonal (each ball leans on 3 balls from the layer below and the first 3 layers have 1, 3 and 7 balls), then the k-th layer from top has N[k]=N[k-2]+3*(k-1) balls at k=2,3,4.... and N[0]=0, N[1]=1;
    3) if the pyramid is triangular (each ball leans on 3 balls from the layer below, the first 3 layers have 1, 3 and 10 balls, and each following layer is a triangle), then the k-th layer from top has
    N[k]=(9k^2-1)/8 balls when k is an odd number,
    N[k]=(9k^2-6k)/8 balls when k is an even number.

The picture shows the 1st case, so there must be 1+4+9+16=30 balls.
    A 4-layer hexagonal pyramid would require 23 balls, and a triangular one 29 balls.

You can take some coins and build different pyramids to check :)

• My roommate has outwitted me again :S He offered a more optimal pattern for triangular pyramid, where N[k]=k*(k+1)/2, and the first 4 layers have 1, 3, 6 and 10 balls.
    Here is the updated plot:

Sorry for triple posting. This task was a real brain teaser and made us busy for some hours :)

• ☆hi all
    A search for the solution
    Turned up the following.

Files

==========================???:?::!::?:(HiRUGAs' WEB) :?::!::?:???=========================

Red Red White Center @Sun Exit Red Green Red Orange White Center & Your Out ..........End of Line :) :)

• Hello Ringotwin
    I think the lower right corner of the 2nd picture is not incorrect solution - it is just another way to build a pyramid ("Triangular 1-3-6" in my plot above).
    But thanks for finding the official answer :)

• I agree with you on that one m8
    Its is only incorrect as much as only it is not the correct solution to the puzzle presented to us by the creator of this brainteaser.

• Files

• well not bad but does not really fit because in fact any one including even no one can go into a chat room and chat ... but there is a room that is a room but not any one or absolutely no one can enter it ...?

• i think there are multiple answers
    you just have to think about all the words that contain room somehow like broom or mushroom

not sure if thats genious... i was just thinking about the mushroom forest in subnautica a few moments ago ;)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I have to think about that theory again:

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,