Beta 2.0

There are 34 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Gibbon.

• Considering this will be released nearly a year before SC, it's a no contest situation, at least for a year anyway. Just have to see tbh, with Beta 3.0 coming end of October with a gamma version probably a month later, release is looking like Xmas this year. The planet landing side of things is planned for around six months later. The current version looks stunning with many gfx updates compared to previous versions.

• summing up.... the development started later... is going to be finished sooner... more players will be able to play it due to lower system requirements and the features so far look more promising and more innovative

so far i havent heared anything bad about this game

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• I look at some videos of the Elite end it looks great. The problem is it offers nothing new in terms of a game play end it feels like another WoW clone or should i say Freelancer clone. From what i see so far Crossfire 2.0 offers match more diverse game play . To me it feels like The Elite defs are rushing the game. Only 1.5 years in development end is ready for release . Good games take about 3 years end even some times that is not enough to make a good game so i will wait end see how this one progress .

• Yup, Elite was real exploration dream ... spent there countless hours :D ... only fight is different. I get used to FL style, but everything have its + and -.

• That maybe so ( i know 30 years anniversary) but the fact is there is absolutely nothing new in that game that you end I end everyone ells have not played et. Don't get me wrong, i hope they succeed .

PS: Just think for a second how Freelancer will look in The Elite engine...nuff said...

• ZEE

I wonder what you expect with the term

...it offers nothing new in terms of a game play ...

All what makes this kind of games
    (Elite and its sequels, Independance War, Freespace Descent and Freespace 2, Tachon The Fringe,
    Starlancer, Freelancer, Wing commander, Battlecruiser 3000 A.D., etc. etc. ...)

FIGHTING - EXPLORING - TRADING
    was set by ... Elite
    (well, I might have forgot BUILDING as i.e. the X-series ;) )

and about the "diversity" of gameplay,...
    even as the CF nut that I became here, I have to confess that ED
    WILL offer ways of playing, of making "your" way through the universe,
    alone or with others, as clans or as grouping together just the moment you're on
    or as a "lone ranger"
    that far surpass the possibilities that FreeLancer,
    even in its most evolved state as CrossFire can offer.

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• What do i expect..hmm..everything ,a full game verse end let me ask you something..400 billion star system huh? How do they plan to populate this systems end with what ? Unless ... there will be a lot of empty space...heck .. they cant even finish one full system with planets, landing end all that... so i should just fly around end kill pirates all day or i have to get item A end take it to point B to make some buck ? Well ..we can do that here..or in of matter of fact , you can do that on every space sim out there .
    Like i said..good games don't get build in 1.5 years end the people will get bored very fast when they have nothing to do on that empty space.
    BTW ...this is just my opinion end if you like ED so match, then nothing stopping you to play it.

Edited once, last by Zee ().

• ...400 billion star system huh?

This exactly is Elite :D , it was fun play before, and somehow I'm sure that it will be fun again. As I understand it, development for this game will not end with its release, so I guess we will need to wait if time they had for development was enough or not :) ... progress they show so far looks rly good and this landing on coriolis station on video i posted above ... ha, it brings memories :D

For this empty place: they need use some kind of generator (systems look), but it not need to be so empty how it may look on first sight .. you may add many random "surprises" which will keep your interest. There was things like this in Elite and its sequels before.

And yes, I'm big fan for Elite :)

• Development will continue on a regular basis after release. Pointless comparing Freelancer to Elite as all Freelancer did was borrow ideas from Elite, after all, it was the first game of its kind, even the developers of EVE acknowledge this. Everything that is in Freelancer is in Elite and then some. Populating all the systems obviously won't happen with in game npc's as that wouldn't be like that in real life. But you're kind of missing the point with Elite, it's always been about exploring and seeing what's in the next system. Yes you shoot. trade, mine your way along in the game, it's how it is, it's how the genre IS.

There are three major factions in the game for instance, currently there is a war going on in one of the systems which affects gameplay, there's a fully dynamic trading system that can be affected by players, a lot of the systems are finished (apart from planetary landings which come after release), a whole load of stuff we haven't even heard of yet is also coming in the next beta at the end of the month. So many features it's difficult to list them as there's more being added.

• It might not offer more gameplay than other games we know... but it also does not offer less.
    Sometimes it might be just best to focus on stuff that proved to be working instead of inventing new stuff that ppl dont need and dont want.

Ive never played elite before. But what Ive seen so far is exactly what I want to do.
    Jump into the cockpit... plot a course to a random star system and start killing some jerks there.

How to populate 400 billion star systems?
    By scripts (there were space games before which did this).
    More interesting would be the question "how to depopulate these systems again" ^^.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• @ Zee

What do i expect..hmm..everything ,a full game verse ...

There was/is such a game, including space-dogfight, space-capshipbattling, aircombat, tankcombat, FPS,
    hundreds of systems, alien races, a plethora of different factions and "roles" to take on as a player,
    in its last release it even had the possibility of online multiplay,
    that was "Battlecruiser Millenium Gold"
    but imho due to its/this immense complexity, causing a in parts nightmarish interface interaction,
    aggravated by available technology to the developer at that time,

it hadn't much of an impact on the gamers scene.

...400 billion star system huh? How do they plan to populate this systems end with what ? Unless ... there will be a lot of empty space...heck ..

1st.
    The "secret" of that : a technique called "procedural generation" that was =O first used for video game by ... Elite and its developers =O
    to make it short (with the danger of being partially incorrect) : suff (planets, ships, npcs, etc) will be "generated" the moment when needed
    2nd.
    Hey, look at CF, since we got now 4 (in words : FOUR ) different sectors, ... where do most people roam ?
    Right, there were are all/most others :D , leaving it to the player to choose, were HE wants to roam ;)

BTW ...this is just my opinion end if you like ED so match, then nothing stopping you to play it.

:D Fully understood by me :D

But you know, this thread is - I think - set up by and for people that
    CRAVED for a return of a "new" Elite for - as felt - AGES :P
    as well as there are people, that have craved for a "new" wing commander
    and who might be served by Star Citizen.
    (I have to admitt that the fan community of SC here isn't THAT strong.)

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• I think you guys are missing the point of what i,m saying. I never played the Elite before but i,m interested on the game us well so i watch end read of the old end new game end i do like what i see so far . My point is...
    Let say there will be 300k people playing the game at launch but you have 400 bill systems so that live you with 0.02 people per system at any given time end there is absolutely not possible to ad planets,station, NPS ,game content to all this systems end that will get people bored very fast. What they should of done,create maybe 200 systems with game content end then ad new ones us game progress .
    At this point i,m interested to play 3 games...ED,SC end Crossfire. One of this 3 will be my full time game so us of now i will wait end see how this 3 develop before i made my final choice . Wish them all success !

• The thing is with 400 billion system the developers for sure will create many of them via procedural generation.
    But not all systems will be created this way.

There always will be core worlds... and special worlds where war like events will happen.
    There would be worlds that are part of the story while others are only there to be explored.
    When there are online events then the chances that players will jump into the event systems is more than just likely.
    The core worlds also will be well visited since they offer more than generic missions and standard combat.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Nice find, Zee :)

Good explanation of how "procedural generation" works.
    (BTW, if anybody's interested, here's a link to the developers site : No Man's Sky )

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !