How to pass Ancient mission (SP)

There are 23 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Gunny.

• Hi,

again I have to ask something, which I don't really understand.

Could it be, that the Mod inventors made Mission 30 (the ancient drones busting) in the new campaign so hard, that no one else except maybe themselves are able to finish that mission? Sorry, but I don't think, that my flying skills are so bad, nor am I an idiot in blowing the NPC's to dust. I managed it to hold out against 8 or 9 drones at one time, because I was doing some nice moves with my ship. But shooting and hitting at the same time is IMPOSSIBLE.

Honestly, I am starting to believe, that the whole mission IS impossible, at least for me. I tried every tactic I was knowing. I tried to engage ONE drone at a time, it did not work. I tried to fly with the ancient drone in my neck towards the GMG station and try to bust it in the asteroid field, it did not work, because there were suddenly 8 others!

And since I was told somewhere else in this forum, that missions cannot be aborted (and therefore also the navigation point function is not working either), exploring the Crossfire universe has ended right there in Dervon System, because I am stuck in that mission.

An that's the reason why I delete this mod from my PC. With all respect to the mod creators, but nobody wants to play a story campaign, which is way too hard. I had fun until that mission, but now after dozens of tries, it just sucks.

Greetings

Lord Bane

Edited once, last by Martind Forlon: Changed thread name and moved (Original: " ... Sorry, but ... are you serious?????") ().

• During Dervon mission is enough if you have ship with 2 sunslays and kill drone fast, run, kill second and third and run again. Is not need kill 20 drones but only 3 and this is easily doable when you try change your tactics.

CF beauty is, that not all you can kill and be 'invincible'. Fight knowledge and tactics is needed to survive and continue in your way.

• With good enough equipment (which is not much), and tactics, you can even play with Drones as if they were dumb and slow starfliers. Actually when they dropped guns that were sold at some nice money, many people went hunting them, making hundreds of kills there to make money. And no one of them were a "Mod inventor".

There are even some videos around where people go outside the Ancient Drone's weapon range (which is just 800, any of our weapons have more range than them), turn around on backwards engine kill at the proper range, and start killing the Ancients following them without being touched.
    You also have to find out in what direction they fire better, and in what side they barely have a gun - two able to shoot at you, so, finding the best spot to hunt them down, not to run around, not even needing the engine kill tactic.

That you actually survived 8 Drones at once is great, no one is supposed to survive and kill all 8 drones (even though few do it), normally you just have to sneak, pick on few of them, kill just 4 ancients, and the mission is over, you can go for the next part. You don't have to try exterminating the NPC race :D Those Drones are the LAST Defence system before they got extinguished by... something. Those drones were never ment to be weak, but are you not interested in what got to exterminate the Ancient race, despite their defences ? The next missions start to get interesting, and hard, and challenging.

Also, EVERYONE I know finished the Story line, and there are some 14 yo people, some at around 60 years old, and they did it. If you want to give up now in the middle of the story because you tried this mission a dozen of times, and you are of those who think they are able to do any game in a single run else it's impossible, well, up to you. The only reason you lost, is yourself, and that you gave up, not the game. Have fun somewhere else, or here if you wanna give it another try, for example with one of the tactics I said above or using the "Search" option and find out how other normal people got over that mission, as there were people with very low skills that didn't even knew how to strafe, that eventually finished the campaign.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

Edited 2 times, last by Michael: . ().

• Hey hey M8 Don't quit , That mission is doable It sounds like you alyeady got some skills . Its worth keep trying. Like he said above kill 3 and go on I think.

P.S.Brother: Im the first Non Expert pilot to answer this thread LOL. But if I can do this mission Anyone can do this mission. Your gonna Love the massive Universe in Crossfire , OR , It make you crazy:-))) till you figure it out . Then youll love it :D

• Hi Lordbane,
    Sorry, but ... you make me feel like a veteran now - Thanks 8o

Just search about Ancient "problem" or meet us online in Multiplayer. Really, they are not that hard.
    Inner Core is hard :wacko:

CF RP: Probably smuggling something or exploring the universe
    EM char: Event_Manager_Silverfox

9248-cebc88b9.png

• a story campaign which is too easy is also no fun
    considering that probably 99% of the CF players managed to finish this mission already i would say that it is doable

ive created this mission to be played with a vhf (which was an ordinary eagle with just lvl 9 guns) and i remember that somewhere it was written that only 3 drones need to be killed (reading helps)

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Personally, I think this mission is imbalanced. The problem is not killing three. The problem is that you have to kill each one within 10 seconds because they keep spawning. By the time I kill three there are four more spawned within the next 20 seconds. I can't make my way back to the Utopia worm hole because two spawn close to my path back to the wormhole and they knock out my warp engines with warp disruptors...that means there are two drones behind me and two in front of me. Those odds are impossible. I keep doing the mission over and over and the same thing happens every time I kill the first three drones. Even if I stick around and try to kill a fourth or fifth, when I kill them I get overwhelmed by 6 drones. I'm having difficulty understanding why people on this forum are insisting it's so easy.

Edited once, last by Gamexotic: No reason ().

• for something impossible quiet a large number of ppl managed to do it

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Personally, I think this mission is imbalanced. The problem is not killing three. The problem is that you have to kill each one within 10 seconds because they keep spawning. By the time I kill three there are four more spawned within the next 20 seconds. I can't make my way back to the Utopia worm hole because two spawn close to my path back to the wormhole and they knock out my warp engines with warp disruptors...that means there are two drones behind me and two in front of me. Those odds are impossible. I keep doing the mission over and over and the same thing happens every time I kill the first three drones. Even if I stick around and try to kill a fourth or fifth, when I kill them I get overwhelmed by 6 drones. I'm having difficulty understanding why people on this forum are insisting it's so easy.

Don't mind this but if you didn't do it, you probably need more skill. I've done it on my first try with a crappy ship and even crappier equipment. Every time i completed the CF campaign i finished all the missions from the first try. That doesn't mean im OP(overpowered, no pun intended), its just easy to do it. If you still can't beat it, then cheat it.

• I can't make my way back to the Utopia worm hole because two spawn close to my path back to the wormhole

Unless you go far out in the void space (outside the asteroid field) , that is impossible, because no hostiles spawn in the path between the GMG station and the jump hole, and that's most of the trip. If you plan your moves a bit, you would be hunting the Ancients near the asteroid field for an easy escape, not going out to their planet or something like that, which is obviously, suicidal. You just have to get few of them, not to invade their home planet, where by common sense, there are more patrols, and you will get ganged by several of them, just like if you were at Planet Manhattan in New York, and be hostile with the Liberty Police. How many police fighters will be attacking you ? But behind planet Manhattan, at some distance, you only find 2-3 in a wing.

So this mod is more realistic than "easy" or "impossible", if the player just thinks he is supposed to do whatever he wants AND survive, then it's the player's fault. Like in the mission above, you can see how things are how they are supposed to be, and if the player thinks how to do the mission without dieing, he will find a solution. This is not just "shoot, kill or be killed", not a shooter game, but a space sci fi game, where tactics are part of it ^^

And this is mainly why everyone who tried the campaign, and is on our server, says he completed the whole thing, where many of them still can't handle PvPs with other players, so "high skills" is not a necessary thing in the game, YET :D Just a bit of common sense.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Then there's something seriously wrong here. It sounds almost like we're playing two different games. I can't use the path from the GMG base to Utopia because the mission waypoint is near the ancient portal thing. And if I fly toward GMG after killing 3 drones about 4-6 ancient drones are on top of me by the time i get to the GMG base.

The ancient drones won't spawn unless I'm near the ancient portal thing or whatever it is, so how can I fight the ancient drones inside the astroid belt? Then If I kill one and rush back toward the Utopia about 4-6 drones show up at the Utopia wormhole.

I don't think it's fair that every time someone has trouble with this mission some users on here say it's because they're a crappy player. If I can kill 3+ drones despite the fact that the repair station in the GMG base doesn't work, so we already are beginning this mission with a damaged ship, despite the fact the ancient drones barely drop nanobots or shield batteries and they're not for sale in the GMG station, despite the fact that I have thousands of hours logged in this game and have no problem blasting through plenty of Dom Kavash.

There's no way I would ever call myself a great player but I'm certainly not a crap player. I seriously don't think my skill as a player is an issue here.

-----------------------------------------------After finally finishing the mission I have some further comments:

The way I finally solved this was by killing the first ancient drone near the ancient portal thing then doubling back to the GMG base and killing the 2nd and 3rd drones there. Then I circled around the base using it as cover and initiated warp toward the Utopia wormhole. Meanwhile, four ancient drones had built up behind me, making my escape very difficult. I had to use all of my advanced countermeasure flares as they're particularly ineffective at stopping warp drive disruptors. While I passed it, I feel there was much more luck involved than skill.

I also think it's worth noting that I suspect many of the failures before were due to an abundance of bugs in the mod, including inconsistencies in when the enemies would or wouldn't spawn. I mentioned earlier that sometimes I couldn't get the first three ancient drones to spawn at all unless I was near the ancient portal. At times, I could actually see the enemy indicator in my hud but the drones would never appear.

Edited once, last by Gamexotic: Additional Information ().

• What equipment you have on your ship? .. you know how to use auto CM? You know that you can nicely use EK for escaping when they will not fire on you CDs? Is many ways how to pass this mission, you only need think little different.

This mission need skills and also know how to evade and run. I did this one in Bastard (big slow ... the one used in intro). In asteroid belt you actually should only run using asteroids as cover. Optimal is kill three drones before you enter asteroids. 2 ti-zonas + 4 10lvl guns + 2 Sunslay torps, using two weapon groups (one with ti-zona, second without) Drone can be killed very quick. And if here someone tell you that you need more skills then it is for sure not offensive. Learning new stuff an new ways is something what made this mod rly nice and can keep player interest for a long time.

• please don't lose heart. take it from me, the mission is do-able, albeit with a great deal of difficulty. I am 66 years old, 67 in a weeks time, and I did it, barely and went on to complete the storyline. my eyesight is gradually failing and I am red/green/brown colourblind. I am probably the worst PvP player on the site, but I managed the mission, and will now tell u how I did it in a relatively crappy vhf fighter.

first, obviously go the the gmg station and get the mission to kill 3 ancients. then go to the waypoint, when u arrive u will see approx. 11km out an ancient drone coming, do not engage but make your run
    for the utopia jumphole. engage the drones near the hole and when u have three, get the hell out and mission over, if u survive the nomads waiting in utopia lol.

please believe me the mission is do-able but the subsequent missions are much harder to survive lol. try again and again and have fun.

cheers

Ray OK
    ;):rolleyes::|

• first, obviously go the the gmg station and get the mission to kill 3 ancients. then go to the waypoint, when u arrive u will see approx. 11km out an ancient drone coming, do not engage but make your run
    for the utopia jumphole. engage the drones near the hole and when u have three, get the hell out and mission over, if u survive the nomads waiting in utopia lol.

;) :rolleyes: :|

I appreciate it but that method didn't work for me. When I saw the first ancient drone indicator on my hud. If I went away from the ancient portal the drone would never appear, thus it wouldn't follow me to the Utopia wormhole nor to the GMG station. I had to blow up the first drone at the ancient portal which is why I was getting overwhelmed by ancient drones so many times.

• Yes, when it's too hard, better doing the "hit and run" method, not expecting to kill everything that comes in your way. Btw, I mentioned "near the asteroid field for an easy escape", not inside it, so yes, we play the same game.

BTW, no one said about you being a crappy player, even though that can be deduced from some recomendations, or just 1 player mentioning you need more skills, it doesn't necessarily means that you are crappy, just that you will have to improve even more than until now.

So hopefully you don't feel unwelcomed here, each player has his own way of seeing and saying things, but no one, so far, was hostile to you. Just different opinions on things :D

Anyway, I guess we will see you when you find out who are the bad guys of the story (as these are just drones from a dead race, but who exterminated the race, with it having a such good automated defence system ? ).

So, see you soon ^^

• All missions can be completed. do you have any sense to do a mission that can not pass, but no. so you just have to try again and again and again until you succeed :rtfm:

Always have a thought for those you care about. That way they will never be forgotten even after they are gone.

• 2 Missiles ( two cannonballs) 4 good guns and 2 sunslayers work quite nice.

Sunslayer torps can be launched at 3k effectively for your first encounter to take one out immediately once they are on radar. ( can be further but 3k is good ) , at 1.5k fire your cannonball missiles and gun what's left.... which isn't much. Repeat as necessary from 500m , otherwise the splash-damage from the torps will get you.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.