Suggestions for Crossfire 2.0

There are 119 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Traen.

• there is a music option on the flmm mod activation

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Hello, OP First i want to congratulate you on the work that has been done on this mod. It is simply one of the most amazing overhauls i have ever seen to a game performed by a modder period. I am a relative newcomer to crossfire but I have already seen multiple way in which you have clearly improved the game. Kudos!

I have one small suggestion for the singleplayer experience.

Reduce to one time use or remove the ability for nanobot usage on NPCs. Or alternatively allow for the option to be removed via the upcoming difficulty slider for 2.0. I know you have seen this before, and to your merit have explained your reasoning behind it but there is just something inherently unsatisfying about nearly killing an opponent and then having them regain all their health right before they perish over and over again. I have come up against lane hackers who healed a total of 5 times before being destroyed

From a design standpoint it makes little sense. It completely removes the ability to use weapons that do consistant damage and heavily favors weapons that do higher burst damage removing a key balancing factor for the game. I have skimmed quite a few of the different boards on this forumn and it has been an overwhelming problem for new players trying to adjust to the new difficulty curve. 5 players simply gave up on the mod all together because of this one issue. Another asked if he could mod it himself and was annihilated by legal threats. He won't be coming back. The fact that it is driving people away who are trying your mod for the first time proves that it is obviously not the right approach. After the years you have dedicated to the mod I'm sure there must be some part of you that wants others to try out what you have accomplished. So why create and try to defend a dynamic that immediately makes people un-install?

I have read the guides which have been suggested to others arguing for the same thing. While they do make steps to attempt to reduce the problem mainly by suggesting that you buy a ship which unbalances the vanilla portion of the experience they do not focus on the key factor that causes this calamity. The new AI is terrific, the ships are cool, trading in prisoners awesome, but i fear that if this goes unchanged i too will be another player who really wanted to experience everything this mod has to offer but was driven away by one infuriating aspect. I've seen the comments that suggest some people like the difficulty right where its at and like i said the flight AI is awesome and makes fights more dynamic. But this instant reset on health doesnt feel like it makes the game more difficult in a good way it just feels cheap. In any situation where a player is flying solo a group of 6-5 fighters will have at least 24x as many hitpoints as the player with the advantage of having 5 extra sets of guns focused on them. It gets to the point where all one can do is frantically mash f and g until they die.

Respectfully pondering the 2.0 release Traen

• Traen: in 2.0 (SP) you will be able easily change game difficulty (with slider in game options). This should assure that also very new players will have fun play CF.

• I have not tested what "exactly" it does, but you for sure will get less damage (up to "god" mode) and is not related to NPCs (so they still will be able re-load) --> you still will need work on your aim, piloting skills, but will be safe from taking damage. CF early stages are also on ship choice (campaign), some suits more to player as another ... and in 2.0 campaign you will have available along way also some nice LFs (some with possibility equip 10 lvl guns) so player progress should be smoother. We have here more nice videos lessons (here) .. for example "rapid fire" technique can be very helpful.

• Martind I don't think you understood what he men't. He wasn't saying the game was too "hard" he was specifically targeting the A.I nano bot system in the game.

I have to agree with him when i say this choice may be more "realistic" as people have said in the past but it ruins the FUN of the game. When your seconds away from killing an enemy and they just heal 90 percent of their damage its no longer FUN. When they do that 4 more times ,as many enemy's, do then it goes from not fun to just being un-playable for a lot of your players. This goes for the shield batteries too.

This person clearly loves this mod and because of this one thing its ruining it for him. And for me. And for apparently at least 6 other people.
    We're not bad at the game we don't need to learn new skills or some "rapid fire technique" we have the skills were giving constructive criticism to make what we love better.

If you have the power to get this message heard before the mod comes out id love it. Atleast make it an option outside of the difficulty slider.

In other words i want my difficult crossfire mod but without them dam nano bots and batteries.

• :) it looks as personal opinion which I have opposite :) ... I like that killing npcs is not easy, with such feature you clearly need to work on better equipment for your ship and skill to hit better, bcs if not, then killing single npc take alot time. With mentioned rapid fire you have 50% higher chance kill npc PRIOR he use repair.

... what you ask can make sense for SP, but I really doubt that Op will want at least think about add such option.

• bots/bats use of NPCs is a feature that we certainly wont remove
    NPCs make only use of a small amount of bats/bots during the fights (usually 1/4-1/3 of what the player could use on these ships)
    on lower lvl NPCs the amount has even be reduced in CF2.0

Its not a feature that we want to remove - it makes the game interesting and more realistic.
    Next to that do i doubt that this really is a big issue considering that we have added more powerful ships... better weapons... and enough money at the start of the game to make use of that.

I also think that many players mix up the bats/bots use with the normal shield rebuild sometimes.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I suggest enemies can use the full amount of batts and bots they have on their ship, it gives a challenge and it feels more immersive and realistic when enemies have brain

when i played cf the first time i was overwhelmed by the difficulty - but that is what keeps the challenge. vanilla fl is too easy. but instead of quitting or complaining i trained until i adapted to this difficulty. now i am able to go into inner core with ease.

without training, experience and patience you can't accomplish much, in real life it is the same. don't give up.

• At beginning will be to hard to kill enemies with your weak weapons and ship without equipment if they reloaded much bots/bats. Later will be more hard, believe me. I understand your point, but new players mostly give up in beginning because is too hard to fight with easiest enemies, and they left the game.

Break the chains of life! Fly freely!

• I LOVE that NPCs not only use Bots 'n Bats, they also "steal" them from the battlefield as loot - if you're not fast enough to tractor them by yourself.

It's one way how the NPCs became much more challanging and Crossfire isn't anymore the easy-peasy arcade-like shooter vanilla FL seems to me after getting familiar with CF. Ofc it takes some more time to fight them down.
    That said : Traen, Brutal Spawn have you ever tried "Big Daddys Mod" ? There a single mission takes not just 2 to 4 minutes - flight time included - to be finished. Some missions need 5 to 10 minutes FIGHT time alone .... not to speak of the storyline missions :P.

And - yeah it IS much more realistic that NPCs use their equipment as well as you do - even better :
    I would like to have the possibility to use Bots 'n Bats at a self choosen rate, like only 4 or 5 or whatever I "set" my onboard damagecontrolsystem ;) and not to have to use as much as possible on one hit on the appropriate button.

And - it IS and HAS TO BE hard to fight several opponents - even if they are "only" NPCs - as it would be in real life. Or would you expect to survive a fighter dogfight against a whole squadron when flying solo ?? That`s something even Immelmann or Hartmann never did.

I shiver with anticip....pation thinking of what these NPCs will do to me with the difficulty slider set to "Xtrem" 8).

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• performance should be better in CF2.0

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• cf2.0 have new option slider available for nebulas 'quality' ... works perfect also on very poor machines.

• I've thought about your replies when it comes to nanobot usage. I get the concept and i do appreciate the difficulty slider that will be coming out soon.... I have no desire to argue with the creator of this mod and i think the bot usage might seem more fair to me if it scaled naturally as the game progressed. For instance enemies in starting noob zones are provided with far fewer bot usages (ie 1) than currently are available. As the storyline progresses or perhaps based off of the level of the pilot NPCs are provided with a higher rate of bot usage. That way older players still get to have that impossible difficulty they crave while new players are eased into the idea that nanobots are a real threat now. It allows noobs to progress through the game at a more normal pace and still makes some of the original ships and weapon loadouts more viable. Then they can transition into the crossfire 2.0 content with the understanding that its gonna be harder from there forward. Because currently the first thing i do when starting up crossfire is raise a lil over 1mil creds and rush straight to the jump gate in manhattan that leads to CF1.9 systems buy a ship there and load it out with the best guns i can. This has the unfortunate side effect of making it so i have no desire to purchase any vanilla ships because they are greatly inferior to the one i can buy at nearly the start of the game. It kinda reduces the sense of progression which is a huge part of what i love about the original game. All of this might be obsolete when crossfire 2.0 comes out, and i have no earthly idea of knowing if it is possible from a technical perspective but it is some food for thought.