SWAT Portal

There are 40 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Michael.

• I was going to post some news or at least an announcement but I think eventhough this is an important matter its better dealt like an internal one.
    Actually im writing this post to deal with several issues that are important for the portal.

Many of you know that i wanted to lay down my job as SWAT administrator in december 2009. I revoked that decision for the fact that Crossfire was not finished (which i was badly reminded by RGHawk) and the fact that there was nobody else will to step forward to take over that job. I still have the wish to leave someday... but i want to be sure that the community will go on. Until that day its my job to ensure that the community (you) finally take over responsibility.
    I am aware that this will take some time but its also my job to remind you that time is limited. Every chance we do not use is lost once and forever. Everytime you wait instead of contributing the situation gets worse.
    Of course you can now point your finger on somebody else (e.g. me) if there are problems, that happened often enough in the past. But i really suggest you do that move now. Take your hand... and point your finger directly on your monitor. Watch your hand... do you finally notice that at least 3 of your fingers point back to you?
    Think about it.

Im not going to point my finger on somebody today nor do i intend to do that anytime soon. The only think i want to achieve is that you all start to think about a few very simple questions. Nobody needs to answer them here openly but you at least should try to be honest to yourself.

1. This community used to be a place where the members agreed to trust each other. I know that nowadays this trust is damaged and i know that ppl use to talk about each other in a sometimes very disrespectful way.
    Is that really neccessary?
    Does that help anybody?
    Does it make anything better or does it make everything worse?
    Please answer these questions to yourself.
    (I personally prefer to talk with ppl instead of talking about them)

2. The members of this community have most fun when there is high activity.
    Is that correct?
    If so, why dont you contribute to raise the activity (if thats not the case yet)?

3. Most of you play Freelancer. But we know times change, sooner or later you are going to play something else (no matter which reason that will have).
    Do you want to stay at SWAT when that time has come?
    Would you be willing to help that the community, your friends, stay together?

I could ask more specific questions but these depend on the answers to the previous questions. I believe further questions can wait for now. Important is if you want improvements of this community and if you are willing to do something for it even if that just means to revisit the own behaviour.

That being said, my thoughts about the future of this community.

Not long ago the entire portal has been reconstructed with the purpose to do a fresh start under better conditions.
    From the technical side that was a major success since heavy limitations could be lifted.
    SWAT went from 1.0 to SWAT 2.0... mainly a name game from my side in relation to the Web 2.0

I guess here i need to explain the meaning of it before you can fully understand the intentions behind such heavy changes.
    Like the Web 1.0 SWAT was very static... we had the forum... but next to that everything content related required that I as admin had to do those changes. Web 1.0 is the internet that got filled with information by just a few Administrators which had the knowledge how to do that stuff. So was the old SWAT Portal.
    Web 2.0 is the internet where the information comes from all the people which use it. Think about youtube, facebook, wikipedia,... thats Web 2.0
    The new SWAT Portal (SWAT 2.0) actually can do the same. You just need to decide for yourself that you want to use such a chance. You decide about success or failure of the Portal. You decide about its future.

I have used the past months to give SWAT a push again.
    I got the baby standing, now it needs to walk.

Last wednesday i started to work on the SWAT games Wiki, it has more than 500 wiki pages meanwhile and if you decide to contribute it soon will have thousands of detailed information about many games out there... existing ones and upcoming ones.
    Ive also started to work on the image galleries which meanwhile contain more than 2000 pictures of the games that we support here at SWAT. You are free to add more.
    My next task is to work on the download database, adding more than 1000 downloads... you are of course also invited to help there.

Why is that important?
    Like i already mentioned with SWAT 2.0 limitations have been lifted which prevented that search engines such as google, yahoo, bing and all the others could read the big parts of the portal. Those times are over now and the SWAT content being displayed at those search sites has been increased by 2400%.
    Sounds chinese?
    OK lets stay with english then... it simply means that players that search for game information will more likely visit SWAT than before. The more content we have to offer here at SWAT the more ppl will visit the portal, the better the quality of that content is the more of these visitors will register and become members. Thats the future of the Portal and thats also the future of the SWAT Projects including Crossfire.
    Quality content and active communities attract new players... thats almost a natural law.
    How good that works depends on you because both, the content and the activity depends on you.

All you have to do is to make a decision.

Related to "activity" is the final topic i want to mention here.
    In my eyes there are way too many ppl which only take, take, take...
    On the server there are ppl have the mod for free... the server for free... ppl which do nothing for the community. They even refuse to be active on the forum. I personally would even see it a contribution to SWAT if they would take part in forum discussions and if they would help players which come to the forum with their questions.
    Maybe i am asking too much... no actually im pretty sure that i dont ask for too much in this case.

Part of many problems on the server is the lack of communication and ppl which dont feel responsible for the problems of the community. That has to change.
    Ive been playing with the idea to force players to be active on the forum by linking the server accounts with forum accounts. Its a pretty rough but effective method to force players to visit the portal, to read the news, to read important discussions about the server and to check when events are sheduled. I am fully aware that some ppl wont like such a method and i am also fully aware that new players should at least be excluded from such an automatic account prune (for lets say 2 weeks). But i am also sure that ppl get used to it after some time. Such links between forum accounts and server accounts do already exist on various FL servers and are technically possible. Maybe with some time additional features can also be linked with it. However i am not sure when i will be able to work on such changes... maybe in a week, maybe in a month... dunno.
    All i know is that it is neccessary for the sake of the community, so that the community starts to act like a community again.

Such a plan requires that the CF server stays online for some time. This month i was in need to do a decision if i continue to host the server or if its better to cancel the contract. None of both options will be the case. As it looks like Im going to be able to get out of the contract by every three months which limits my financial risk and gives you the chance to prove that you want to bring back this server and this community to the top. If you - the players - do nothing or not enough then you will be responsible when i have to do another decision in 3 months. Take it as a chance, and dont waste it... its not much time.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• i wanted to lay down my job as SWAT administrator in december ...

This month i was in need to do a decision if i continue to host the server or if its better to cancel the contract.

I do not understand exactly what your primary goal is here, OPR8R.

Are you trying to sell the site? Looking for an admin? Looking for someone to take over your contract?

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

• its OP's 2434597538th call for those who do nothing to start helping out the community with the portal, its content and the atmosphere around.... i don't understand why ppl still doesn't understand that OP cannot do all that alone ! In short, those who do something continue their work and those who don't must start doing a little for the community, SWAT, CF and OP. @OP i'm glad you still allow us more time. The 3 months you added to CF's server lifetime will certainly prove that things are going to be great... we begin seeing new ASF/CSF chars being set up all over the server.... Players are really eager to get down with this and return CF to its former glory ! Your incredible work won't have been done for nothing OP, CF will rise again !

• @ Arrow. I can answer your post easily.

Most players think they are entitled to play here and not contribute. They think they have a right to be here, without earning it. Lastly, they believe they have the right to demand instead of asking. So when Op asks people for help, most don't think they need to, since the majority of todays youth think they deserve everything given to them.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• I just can agree with your wisdom oh master Gunny !!! My question was rethorical... i knew why ppl don't invest themselves, but the way you say it is quite accurate IMO... Good post trophy added to you m8 !

• Are the people active on the server (as I noticed 22 online yesterday) that there is a Swat Portal forum ? As I noticed some just come here for tehnical support... after they Search where to ask... but there are some who just downloaded it from moddb, or CF's Server site, it worked, and they started playing. GR, aka ServerPolice should use the universal channel (when they have the permissions for it) to make everyone know about this forum, and that everything about events, fun, wars or other related issues are posted here, exclusively.

I uploaded a special FL ID Changer, the fastest and easyer ^^ way better than FLAM.

Q: do you think safe, to upload (again) some of the FL Editing/Modding programs ? For some people, it could be just an easy chance for 'safe' cheating...

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• One thing to ensure players visit this portal is to limit the free download of the mod.
    Make it restricted to registered users. Let them read the rules and confirm they understood (read) them before the download will be available.

Then you "only" need to post a link to the portal where all this information - rules and download - can be found. Remove the free download on moddb and link to the SWAT Portal...

As for the rest i am asking myself nearly the same questions that OP asks himself.

See i visit a various set of sites a day - Freelancer related and games related at all. If i find a new where i think its worth to post then i am looking for the appropriate thread and post it here. Have done this a few times already. Most of you even need to copy texts - whereas I sometimes need to translate them before i post :) Hence its hard for me to believe that such work couldnt be done by any of you at all. Its easy - isnt it.
    If you are unsure what to post or how - ask the moderators here - their work to help with that piece of work^^

So lets move forward!

signature.png

• locking the download is probably not the best method ... many new players will not download the mod if they have to register

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• maybe not the best - but one method to at least show them there is a portal where you can find valuable information. If you wont lock it for registered users - just make it available here with a site of few describtions, advertisement and a download link at all. I mean if people can download it freely from moddb why they ever should visit the portal then - there is no linkage between both and that is lacking.

signature.png

• if such a link does not exist then it should be created
    however - i actually wrote that because i noticed that problem mainly with clan members

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• On the server there are ppl have the mod for free... the server for free... ppl which do nothing for the community. They even refuse to be active on the forum. I personally would even see it a contribution to SWAT if they would take part in forum discussions and if they would help players which come to the forum with their questions.
    Maybe i am asking too much... no actually im pretty sure that i dont ask for too much in this case.

agreed

Ive been playing with the idea to force players to be active on the forum by linking the server accounts with forum accounts. Its a pretty rough but effective method to force players to visit the portal, to read the news, to read important discussions about the server and to check when events are sheduled. I am fully aware that some ppl wont like such a method and i am also fully aware that new players should at least be excluded from such an automatic account prune (for lets say 2 weeks). But i am also sure that ppl get used to it after some time. Such links between forum accounts and server accounts do already exist on various FL servers and are technically possible. Maybe with some time additional features can also be linked with it. However i am not sure when i will be able to work on such changes... maybe in a week, maybe in a month... dunno.
    All i know is that it is neccessary for the sake of the community, so that the community starts to act like a community again.

Finally some real action.Support that...

its OP's 2434597538th call for those who do nothing to start helping out the community with the portal, its content and the atmosphere around.... i don't understand why ppl still doesn't understand that OP cannot do all that alone ! In short, those who do something continue their work and those who don't must start doing a little for the community, SWAT, CF and OP.

Problem do not lay in misunderstanding, ppl do not want to help, because they feel no need, so having that in mind they "must" be "gently pushed" ;)

Most players think they are entitled to play here and not contribute. They think they have a right to be here, without earning it. Lastly, they believe they have the right to demand instead of asking. So when Op asks people for help, most don't think they need to, since the majority of todays youth think they deserve everything given to them.

to summarize all

OP take some action ASAP, no matter if some of restrictions/actions included me.I read many good conclusions and statements here (which i support and appreciate) but only second quote of urs looks like an action.
    Wrong or bad move?We shall see...anyway we need to move from the dead spot.
    And as soon as possible organize Server police in game, or Galactic Rangers or whatever.
    The game and server badly need them!

• Bond

Yes, SP's are needed in game as evidenced by the number of people hacking for weps, money and other things I see when I am in game. Other former SP see the same things. But reality is, SP power is not coming back and people know it. That's why they are doing what they are in game. I watched 4 new players all under level 40 get killed by a player called niGh7, so did SA Arrow. Naturally he lied and said his 5 yr old brother did it, then he said is was a 7 yr old. So to hell with the rules, let's play in anarchy. This example here is also another reason why new players will come and go rapidly.

As for downloading the game, I think linking the mod to the forum is essential so people can be involved in the forum discussion and the entire process. There are the possibilities of new space sims coming out and we need to be prepared to shift gears in the near future and keep SWAT alive.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• ive been fairly lucky im a new player to crossfire but have been playing freelancer since release i came on the multiplayer about 3-4 days ago and have had some help from online players and not been ganked
    aside from the odd batch of pirates lol
    so not every1 is disobaying the rules....
    and it still is fun if a little hard to begin with for a noob like me however i have upgraded my ship a couple times and made some money
    as for the portal after i downloaded the mod i searched for the swat portal and joind the forum
    however if you want people to came back to the forum just an idea but why not add the forum into the crossfire download with an auto direct straight hear

p.s please excuse the bad spelling and grammer :)
    and keep up the good work

• I watched 4 new players all under level 40 get killed by a player called niGh7, so did SA Arrow. Naturally he lied and said his 5 yr old brother did it, then he said is was a 7 yr old. So to hell with the rules, let's play in anarchy. This example here is also another reason why new players will come and go rapidly.

niGh7...omg

So this is how many of your shows thanks to us who are constantly trying to save what can be saved?
    Didn't gensis 2 fly through few systems back just to help u out, didn't LP slayer help you too?Didn't i navigate your vessel yesterday for hours?

If you're reading this, what is the least you can do? X(

Shame on you...pffft :thumbdown:

• Ok just finished reading this whole topic second time. And as i stated in other topic - count on me with help but SWAT 2.0 portal has really really ugly skin ;( believe me. I see You decided to get really huge task on You - Build Such Huge community isnt easy - You have a lot of experiance and You should know that most people are attracted by graphics! And SWAT portal is in that matter tragedy. It has really great funcionality - i agree - its impressive, but for casual user its too complicated and he will be not interested in those all futures. He will check portal - look for what he need and than leave and rarely get back. I understand You OP very well i tried similiar actions as Yours many times - all failed - few because of my fault. I think that SWAT COMMUNITY and SWAT CROSSFIRE should be separated somehow - believe me those players needs that. WHY You ask? Thats simple - You want to make SWAT Portal as some kind of huge game community like sites as mmogspot.com or something like that - but they have money for advertising theyre site on google ads - and also they get money from other adverts and from community members and thats how it works. Also all those communities got profit from that - and from what i see here really clearly SWAT is non profit portal. You want peple to understand that being a part of CrossFire Comunity member is privileage but You give us everything for free - thats wrong too. Man who doesnt have to earn something wont care about it. I Think we should start New Topic about future of SWAT CROSSFIRE and other for future of SWAT PORTAL. In those topics we would post our ideas on how it should looks like and discuss that and than You could decide in whoch way everything should go. Im not sure about possibility of this feature but just writing theory:

We agree that SWAT CROSSFIRE is really awesome and impressive job. We all got it for free. So guys i dont understand why do you demand anything more for free? You have to pay for bread if you want to eat it. So maybe CROSSFIRE should be limited? Example - CROSSFIRE Launcher should have special options - i would specify them as: "Free For All MP" and "SWAT CROSSFIRE MP". First i think that You shouldnt upload whole mod to download but just the Launcher Installer. Players install launcher into FL Directory than run it - After that Launcher gave them specified earlier options to choose. When player choose "FFA MP" Launcher download whole mod from specified earlier server with up to date version. Same will be done when player choose "SC MP" So whats the difference You ask? When player who choose "Free For All MP" go into multiplayer and join server will be limited just to fly in LIBERTY Systems instead of that Player which choose "SWAT CROSSFIRE MP" first will be prompt for some kind of PASS or KEY which he get by donating 1$ for server monthly - and this PASS/KEY will be changed once per month or will be specified for in example FL Account ID - those with active password wich means those wich contributed 1$ for server will get acces to whole CF in MP (all this is just simple example) All will have full SP. This is just and idea and proposition to discuss just to show that they are really different ways to contribute and to forward community in way You want.

About SWAT PORTAL its more to discuss but writing all in one topic and in one post is useless no one except few will read it and no one except those few wont understand what does it stand for - thats next problem which You encounter. Players rarely likes to read and write a lot :)

BEST REGARDS

DraculaPL

• I Think we should start New Topic about future of SWAT CROSSFIRE and other for future of SWAT PORTAL. In those topics we would post our ideas on how it should looks like and discuss that and than You could decide in whoch way everything should go. Im not sure about possibility of this feature but just writing theory:

...this topic exist at forum, but ty for ur review ;)

• Like i stated in my post im talking about two separate new topics. Like You see You even didnt try to discuss anything from this one, and most of current topics on portal are much outdated.

• ehmm, yeah
    i like the design the way it is, so whats wrong with it?

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• SWAT looks great now, slick & clean, content matters.

Since I don't play anything else but Crossfire, I can moderate those boards, since they do need cleanup. I'll look up old topics and see what else I can do, I can't promise anything else. In-game, I'm already trying to mobilize people, and get some kind of RP going, events, etc.

|DP|Shock · |DP|Shockwave · |DP|Skyfall · |DP|Red.Dwarf

• Its more like common, nothing which i could hang my eye for. It doesnt make positive vibration/attention like in example sexy girl. What in much way makes girls look sexy? It depends what they wear. Same works for boards. They need to be sexy - that stands for marketing, promotion etc