Improving fights?

There are 25 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Se\v/.

• Hello all.

First I wanna say is that I like very much this mod and, our clan ESPAÑA would like to stay here for a long period.

As I like the mod and I would like to play here and be part of it, I opened this new thread with the objective to share opinions with players and Admin, and to suggest ideas.

In the last month, I fought with a lot of players, with very differents skills, and I saw a lot of fights too.

The main thing that I notice is that fights between 2 ppls with similar skills (good level) are very long. Sometimes they decide to stop fight and there is no winner.

In my opinion this situation is caused because 2 reason:

The armor upgrade, new shields, and shields upgrades, were improved more that guns.

The excellent ships in the mod; they are fast, with a very good maneuverability.

The situation is that with Tizona is really hard to get down the shield of your enemy when the enemy moves well , and when you have the oportunity to hit the hull , the power of the guns is not enough to finish the work.

I cant forget the missils. The missils were improved very well, and they are powerfull. The question is that it is very difficult to hit a fast ship with a misil if the enemy knows how avoid them. And dont forget that the capacity for munition is 50 misils, so you can run out of misils very quick in a long fight.

My suggestion is to develop a Tizona upgrade, or other gun, with more power against Champion shield. And at the same time a new gun, with a better refire rate (more than 4) and powerfull enough.

The fights would be shorter, the lag would be less important (now a little bit of lag made impossible to hit the target enogh to hurt it), and I think that masive fights would be more funny.

I hope you read and reply this post trying to be constructive and without spamming :D

• the lenth of the fights between 2 players are so long because of thier level of skill, it has very little to do with the power of the guns. (IOC)Trent used to use an eagle with high refire lvl 9 guns and used to kick ass with it, was a pleasure to watch. if you land all 6 gun shots on your opponent at once the damage is huge, no need for higher power. it would be ice to see higher refire, 4.00 or 5.88, lower power long range guns introduced to appeal to a wider range of players, and to compete with the gatts and ppc's, and add more diversity to the pvp.
    but, imo, the power shouldnt be made higher, its high enough as it is. dont forget that pvp is also for training and shorter fights wont teach less skilled players anyything.
    As for missiles. well whats the point if you cant dodge them or shoot/cd them? everyone would mount 6 nemesis and kill his opponent in one pass. pointless really. same with torps. you have to learn how to use them effectively, thats they key. as for the amount of missiles carried 50 is more than enough. if you use all of them against 1 opponent then you obviously need to learn to use them more effectively.

you could put power levels through the roof on all guns/missiles. but pvp is a test of players skill and endurance. in war you dont ask for a ceasefire coz your trigger finger has cramp do you?!!

anyway thats my opinion! good subject for a discussion m8 ;)

Doppleganger :D

• yep and fight go on for ages if one of the fighters cant hit the other because of jumping...wich doesnt have to do with skill at all....Ace vs newbie can drag on aslong as 2 ace's fighting each other....what you cant hit doesnt die

And if you do manage to 'almost' kill your opponent in a Top Gun Event and only need to make 1 little hit and its over while they jump around like crazy they quickly fly away in circles in cruise so they wont die ,dive planet and and leave you weaponless in a fight because you shot everything of trying to kill the runner before he can kill himself

while the event manager is ok with that

[6]

• SeV.

eerr....i thought this could have been a good discussion, instead of a gripe about certain ppl's "warping abilities", and a bitch at event managers. you want the responsibility of being one and take the criticism?
    sounds like you have issues with certain ppl m8, and this thread isnt the place to air them. so lets please keep this thread going in its origonal direction and no more attacking other players. thx

Doppleganger

• just want to point out that shield go down fastest
    the hull takes ages

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Originally posted by Doppleganger
    SeV.

eerr....i thought this could have been a good discussion, instead of a gripe about certain ppl's "warping abilities", and a bitch at event managers. you want the responsibility of being one and take the criticism?
    sounds like you have issues with certain ppl m8, and this thread isnt the place to air them. so lets please keep this thread going in its origonal direction and no more attacking other players. thx

Doppleganger

M8 make me one i love critics, and i just want to point out that this thread is going no where because you cant reason the way that is going on here...

'warping' people are to hard to kill , And you know that most fights dont take long because of 'skills' it takes long because of not beeing able to hit them or shooting through them or not registering hits when they impact..

so it is not the weapons used
    its,
    Do they hit..

Do they hit and make damage..

why do some start to jump around more then they already were when they are almost dead..

why does it take years to kill someone who has no shields left and only needs to get bumped to die but doesnt..

or as OP posted it : just want to point out that shield go down fastest
    the hull takes ages

Just like that one guy in arena who beated some pilots in arena but never lost his hull
    dunno who anymore but he 'thought' he was good to but just had heaps and heaps of packet loss...wich was checked by OP himself (OP was fighting him at the time when i was telling OP) OP noticed it too,

Wich resulted in OP making a serverwide anouncement not to fight that guy till he got his connection sorted

So Newbie and Ace fighting doesnt meen a thing when there is huge packet loss it takes years...

If im having fun i fly good when i dont have fun i dont, when i fight warping people the fun is gone fast and trust me

Im not the only 1

And whats gripe? is it a fruit or vegetable?

[6]

• Oi Dopp you missed it m8. Allow me...

SeV, I think a gripe comes from a fruit in a vegetative state. hehehe Sorry m8 it was too good to pass up.

Topic: SeV is right. Some people jump around like crazy. Weapons and shield balance is great.

Yes Burros Do Bite.

Chars: SMG_Burro and derivatives thereof

SMG Forums

Originally posted by burro
    Oy Dopp you missed it m8. Allow me...

SeV, I think a gripe comes from a fruit in a vegetative state. hehehe Sorry m8 it was too good to pass up.

Topic: SeV is right. Some people jump around like crazy. Weapons and shield balance is great.

A gripefruit < :D

[6]

• Continuing with the point of the topic ?(

I agree that the level of the pilots make longer fights. But there is something in my point of view that all of you can check:

Champion Shield (11032) + Shield update = the same gun to hit Shields (tizona). So one question is that ppl like this, but another question is that you need more hits to get down shields, even with phoenix.

I agree too about power of guns, maybe I didnt explain myself very well. I suggested higher refire rates with enough power.

Yes, as OP said and is easy to check, hull is more difficult to get down, it was increased 100%.

Short fights doesnt teach new ppl, yes, but I dont think that they are going to learn with the best pilots, they can be trained or teached by medium level pilots, and improve their skills step by step.

PD: Please dont spam with personal issues, I try to start a Threat and not a spamm forum fight

• It would be easier to compensate if you rack up some more experience. Get used to leading your target by different amounts at different ranges. When you've got enough experience hitting a player with tizonas and then your primary weps seemlessly is only hard when there is considerable lag. To be able to easily vanquish an opponent you either have to be exceptionally good or your opponent weak. It takes less than 5 seconds to defeat a target if all of your weapons hit, so the issue isn't gun, hull, or shield strengths (which are balanced rather nicely).

24/7 SWAT CF veteran from sometime before 1.6 up into 1.82. Lots of memories!
    Built 88 chars between DC, BD, UAC,
    STC, and freelancers. Ashes to ashes, alas? D:

• The weapons are fine m8 and they work well.

Skill is needed to use them all and it takes practice, so be patient.

And yes, this planet diving crap is getting old and it needs to stop.

I am not getting into the warping subject or those who admitted to having ICQ open while playing in CF....yes all in one clan.

2 points. Practice makes for better fighters. Following rules is honorable.

Intel 2.8 Quad-Core / 8 gig OCZ gaming 1066 mhz DDR2 / BFG GTX 295 (x2) / 24" LCD 4000:1 Monitor/ Razer Copperhead / Lycera keyboard / M1 NIC , 1 Intel SSD ( OS) & 1 OCZ gaming SSD , 10k rpm Velociraptor.

Chars: [CFPD]. , [CFPD]G1 , G1.5, G2 , G2.5

Home System: Tarsus

Founder of the Crossfire Police Department, ( [CFPD] ) established 2005. The first Police Department established on Crossfire.

• Personally I like the lvls of the weaps and shields, but some 56k'ers/crappy DSL/CBL do have a tendency to jump around.

The other day it must have taken me 10 mins to put 4 good shots on a starflyer to kill it (hey guys don't leave NY in a starflyer!). Not cause i'm a bad shot but cause lag on their part kept movin' them and I hadn't updated.

Maybe we should restrict to low ping only?

Just my 2 cents.

ranathane
    ranathane@yahoo.com
    MN Clan
    ~MN~Thane[APC], ~MN~Thane[F] and ~MN~Thane[T]

• just to mention that the weapons did improve (including the shield damage)
    if you calculate it you will find out that the shields go down in almost the same amount of time like in vanilla FL

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• just met a good old friend last nite and it seems its not me who cant fight but just some others
    this was a good dogfight i lost he but who cares i hit him to and thats the good thing about it

@ op why you botherd whith vannila i dond

@ sev good points mate

@ all the rest stop using f1 when some 1 gets close

• I have to say I would like to have difrent weps, not only in efects but mostly in the way they make damage (more refire rate, less damage, you choose),

but for another hand I have to say that the existent weapons are really enough, for the shields and hull that we have, I mean.

and I have to say I hate when ppl just fly around avoiding to be shoot witout any intent of shoot back.

eYf-Bb3kqDGZowNom6-Xa5yH0mydz8mBks6wgxw14TQ5NwEJBwfq4f1yRZFAlDX2qQ1-L2f4dN_jPCc4gHS39_4_KEcGf2rKKAIS9lt8znRUc0bbwU4HNGMbSmj-T1tQKW2T0FKHNMXYsHEHc4Qagn3xOVsBjwqOdFH4JyoGcTZdqMwXHFy76r9Fmny4UKT5zjWLQpDkuPo04jpg8sBGnCda4adtRxGHGbDw62IeEFT0WCu_go8lDBHh0WtGmPobfV87RVBaEqL3EGKAaPPRkjp-CR4J4phrjQzZQ2VUtg_-y5LTVcuqnCQugz3jfjP7xQqfvKNkjyMHKU9r4sV_D9IcYmVpYHXZ8ahWfGhesJkd0J8qCXtHRCwhnoMSF31z-piViN7S8MprdxmNA5irBMSB2cjAswp9SVe6wiATbaZEJG1bXg7_LbTVfiytOpYeKWjeQtra39Duhqgml8OV_4sQbY6hoi84NZ_mUayUfNOcCWuOlrLas3DPtvqq0cEfGOV-N6jSPssgvTCKTU4Y9OD8vIz14HCDKBAwi7NnvilwamcVEXqM3kH8YjIYyHtDaf7d8wY5caOUu4Y1AWfmJlZKMcVidj_K2RLYI_XQT8AQe3FnXn_-0fQfB2CPwbeJl_F7Nx-JLwk40KkWAON4x4TXBCq-rw9dmoLGDoS8ftamBKX9EZUxxbPSwuWzIU-ZviAWliUP_mLn8ILYZ-tt4SEnb5sUJkI0GWlLakmDHOwHtH3zAw8O0gt-wuCZCS5vGpuxt9tRDWS1_cIXvZML-ZRrZAHv0mig99hrUX4UMKGoM7FvaIiqnDDZPKMKJO8rA6jAx58nLCki-Xg8ci6ke5uspV7aCUQOmh6U3sZd5Z7acqvypYBAIo8lOMYpbCWRVqdyzaxTA_BdhKN_2OZ3aUK7qkATbEDHMxeu5d_NyqurxvYno5p-zBhnKVT6MNXRE2EpJq1cacTU9WuPNYWJSSF8kAw0_kS8QHURYgbHXpfRKENjBHUaV9h2jA=w348-h200-s-no?authuser=0

• since most of the guys here did complain about lagging, there should be only one possibility to solve that.
    the server i played/play had a serverscript that did kick all players automatically who had a loss over 10% or a ping over 100ms.
    so if u want to let it end for all time in future. u ve to make that step. i personally wouldnt have a problem with that.
    but i could imagine some guys would. so u ve to choose that way or stop complaining about it over and over day after day. coz this will destroy the community with an rapidly increasing level of hate between the guys who are flaming each other about lagging.

so far from my side.

edit: and like already some guys mentioned the weapons and defenses in the mod are well balanced..

• Maybe you are right and the guns in Mod are enough to keep normal fights, maybe I am wrong but.... Crossfire is a great mod with a very large number of new ships, so why not thinking about a good number of new guns?

I know that it is very difficult to create new guns and keep server balanced, but it could be a new challenge ;)

PD:I see that a lot of people is very worried about lag. I think that Lag issue deserves another Threat ?(?(