Capital Ship Rebalancing

There are 80 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• Night-Hunter what turret range have now cruisers/gunboats? They were too short from what I remember but not sure if there wasn't adjustment.

• what turret range have now cruisers/gunboats? They were too short from what I remember but not sure if there wasn't adjustment.

I think about 1.7-1.8K now.

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

• cruisers forward guns = 4000

gunboat forward guns = 2500

cruiser turrets = 2000

gunboat turrets = 1500

battleship weapons remained unchanged (a range of 800-2700 depending on the turret)

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Cruiser forward gun range is ~3,8

Turrets are 1,8

Tested it numerous times. Also Ajay and few more can confirm that's true.

Gunboat forward gun range is ~2,2

Turrets are ~ 1,5

OP, i know you design it that way, but here is what i think is happening.

You might have given the range value in the game codes (or wherever it goes, i have no idea, i'm not a programmer) but the game itself can't read them correctly and instead of the exact numbers, it reads them with ~ 200-300 difference (excluding the gunboat turrets who seems to be with the correct value)

A side note.

I also found this. The gunboat forward guns can oneshot bs/dn shields (players ships, didn't tested it in IC)

As i already said i didn't had gunboat before so i don't know if this is suppose to be like that, so i decided to report it anyway.

Always have a thought for those you care about. That way they will never be forgotten even after they are gone.

• You might have given the range value in the game codes (or wherever it goes, i have no idea, i'm not a programmer) but the game itself can't read them correctly and instead of the exact numbers, it reads them with ~ 200-300 difference (excluding the gunboat turrets who seems to be with the correct value)

Might be something related to the size of the targets we tested the guns on.

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

• I tested it with Ice-Warrior on his bs and fighter, then with Cavalry on his bs. Tested it with normal ncps (fighters/bs from Sirius) Also on a stationary targets like stations and bs bases

Always have a thought for those you care about. That way they will never be forgotten even after they are gone.

Edited once, last by Night-Hunter ().

• explanation about the ranges:

in case of cruiser forward gun the value 4000 is correct and also is correctly done in the game

it is based on the lifetime of the projectile (4 seconds) and its velocity (1000m) -> 4000 range

The projectile really travels 4000m.

The differences you see is based on the location of the turrets in relation to the HpMount (the docking point) of the ship firing aswell as the difference between impact point and its distance to the HpMount of the attacked ship.

On a small fighter this difference is minimal and might only result in a difference of 1-2m. On large ships this difference can become much bigger because the ships are bigger and the distance between turrets and HpMount is bigger.

The firing point for liberty cruisers forward gun is about in the center of the ship while the HpMount is at the "nose tip" of the ship (for the reason to get mooring done right)

However the true projetile range really is 4000m for these forward guns.

You compare this with the distance measurement of bigger station. If you get really close to the hull you effectively have reached it but the distance will still show 50-100m. That is the distance to the HpMount of the station.

Yes, gunboat forward guns are shield breakers. That is the purpose of these ships.

Cruisers and destroyers are most effective against hull.

Battleships are allrounders.

Taking the calculation as they are for the gunboat foward guns:

hull_damage = 15000

energy_damage = 60210

refire_delay = 3

Shield damage per second = ((hull_damage/2)+energy_damage)/refire_delay = 22570.

But I see your point... the burst damage is damn high. Maybe too high.

2 gunsx((hull_damage/2)+energy_damage)=135420

The default shield capacity of a battleship is only 63000.

The fact that the DPS is lower than the burst damage could be problematic. Dunno.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• In that case, it seems everything works as intended. Then i think i am done with the tests so far. If you bring some new changes to cap ships i will be more than happy to do it again. Also about the bombers, they really are left behind like the cap ships, so if in the future there are some changes i might also make some tests for them

• yes, bombers will be done for sure

but we need to get the balancing for cap ships right now

I have many open questions atm. e.g. the gunboat issue that you just mentioned or the different damage reductions for cruiser and gunboats due to your test against ancients. I am still not sure what the final numbers would have to look like.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Ill try to calculate the shield resist values for gunboats and cruisers similar to the one for battleships.

Of course these ship types need to be weaker than battleships.... so... dunno yet.

The high shield damage of gunboats generally is intended but the burst damage is too high. I think the only way to get around this would be turn these weapons into fast firing beam weapons instead. Need to test that.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• 13334-mpod-jpg

I added this to my test environment yesterday and its looking pretty good on cap ships but I ran into some issues with the functionality. Need to figure out if there are settings that allow me to use it the way I want.

This might be a potential solution to defend battleships can cruisers from fighters.

If its not working I might tweek the flak turrets instead.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Hello OP. I like the weapon idea you put forward. If you need help testing count me in.

Regarding the vhf making the BS spinning, I have to admit that that isn't really fixed. From the tests that I did, it can still be spinned or tipped over.

Regarding the buff, I think it needs to be increased as I think they are still weak.

"Only the strongest will survive!"

• The spinning issue probably never gets fixed entirely due to the way how the game engine works.

All I was able to do is to minize the effect.

And regarding the buffs (dunno which exactly you mean)... it is not intended to make cap ships overpowered or allow them to easily kill fighters (that simply is not their job).

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I just released the next update with the following changes:

• projectile speed of cruiser turrets increased by 50%; turret range remains at the previously mentioned values
    • projectile speed of battleship defense turretes increased by 50%; turret range increased by 50% aswell
    • rotation speed doubled for: battleship defense turrets, cruiser turrets, flak turrets
    • shield damage reduction for cruisers increased to 85%
    • shield damage reduction for gunboats increased to 90%
    • gunboat forward weapons were changed from 3 second fire delay to 0.2 second (turning the weapon into a rapid fire one and therefore avoid the burst damage problem)
    • hull damage of gunboat forward weapons were adjusted to this fire rate in order to keep exactly the same hull DPS as before
    • shield damage of gunboat forward weapons got their DPS decreased a bit (this might be reverted again if tests show problems)
    • 5 of the 6 Flak turrets got their shield damage increased (up to 300%) to bring them closer to a somewhat more equal total damage rate

The changes to projectile speeds and turret turn rates might help to defend against smaller ships. Gunboats did not receive these changes due to their forward firing nature.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Wow Let Testing Comence

:salutes Fools Rush In Where Angels Fear To Tread :patsch: :salutes
    :salutes A Fool and Their Credits are Easily Parted :D
    :salutes Softly, Softly, Catchy Freelancer :P :salutes
    :salutes SMILE :) It Breaks up the Time Between Disasters :thumbsup:
    :salutes I can Only Please one Person Per Day.Today is Not Your Day And Tomorrow does Not Look Good Either :thumbdown: :salutes

• oh, i might need to mention that the changes to the gunboat forward gun have not been tested in any way. dunno how it looks, if it works etc.

did not have any time for such tests and fine tuning

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• i gave a gunboat some workout and found it agile to steer stood up to attacks great but in respect to forward guns on it. firing great but yes but first up and noticeable was you can,t see your target after you start firing the forward guns and if friendly npc,s join the battle your hitting them too and all turns red. regardless whats in front of you. firing the forward guns looks like a static white cloud moving towards the target. i was under the impression it was going to be a beam or rapid firing gun. also when you stop firing on the target and the cloud stops then it looks like 4 c/d or mines tumbling in one spot a slight distance apart in a line. when docked the ship looks cut in half like a ferry waiting to load. got some screenshots. might help description. screen7.BMPscreen8.BMPscreen10.BMPscreen11.BMPscreen12.BMPscreen13.BMPscreen14.BMPscreen15.BMP these are just some of the result when the gun stops firing shows the trace left behind. when first fired looks like a cloud static covering up the targets and slowly moving towards them or disapateing as it go,s go,s. :/

Files

• screen17.BMP

(2.5 MB, downloaded 4 times, last: )
    • screen16.BMP

(2.26 MB, downloaded 2 times, last: )

Edited 2 times, last by Kermit ().

• like i said, fine tuning still needs to be done

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Ok. So yesterday i made a quick test (because the game crashed 2 times), but i didn't get much from it. Today i did a better one.

Seems to handle well with ancients and just by stearing left and right you can dodge about 50-60% of the incoming fire at the first contact and when you're in the actual fight if you keep doing it you will most likely be fine.

Doms fighters on the other hand are more hard to kill, and personal for me i would not advice fighting them with gunboat, but you can still survive.

About the fleets... well you can take cruisers without muh efforts, but bs/ms takes too much time so better to just leave them.

But overal in a strike team they can be of use.

Didn't test is in pvp though, so i don't know how it's gonna be

(about the short videos, i used fraps and for some reason all the recordings can't be more than 30sec and the bad quality is because it takes large amout of space so i used the lowest recording settings)

Honestly i don't know if the new function of the forward guns is better, but i kinda like it more.

• Based on the feedback so far the rebalancing is going into the right direction and the assumed issues with NPC difficulty might not be such a big issue.

Therefore I will take care of the reported detail issues with the weapons and their effects.

Probably this weekend a fix can be expected.

The issue with the new missile launch pods remain. As a result I decided to maybe turn it into a side mounted launcher for batlteships and dreadnaughts. Some minor redesign might be requird.

If that fails I have another option and was working on default style missile pod that is based on a more traditional design.

mpod2.jpg

Tests will show which one to take.

Intoduction and tests can be done maybe Eastern.

One topic left open is the balancing inner core cap ships relative to player fighters and player cap ships.

But i am sure I can figure that out in the next 2 weeks somehow.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,