Capital Ship Rebalancing

There are 80 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• the Adv. Battleship Defense Turret seems to underperform compared to the other battleship turrets, right?

Exactly.

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

• ok, lets see where we get this now.

I intend to release a first try to rebalance stuff about an hour.

The changes have to be tested online and some feedback would be nice.

So what has been changed?

• Capital ship handling for dreadnaughts, battleships, cruisers/destroyers and gunboats has been recalculated with the goal to prevent that ships start spinning.
      The math behind it sounds reasonable but in the end only tests will show if it works.
    • Cruisers have their maneuverability improved to make them more distinct from battleships/dreadnaughts.
    • Engines of all the cap ship classes got their visuals improved.
    • Engine sound effects got adjusted by ship class and faction.
    • Cruise charge time for battleships and dreadnaughts got increased to 10 seconds to reflect the larger energy demands.
    • Cruise charge time for cruisers and destroyers got increased to 7 seconds (same reason).
    • 8 new cruise charge sounds got introduced.
    • 1 new engine type got added for the simple reason that it was missing (bretonia destroyer engine).
    • Cap ship weapons are now categorized into 5 new classes.
    • Cap ship shields are now categorized into 4 new classes.
    • Cap ship shields have a 95% absorption rate on all non-cap ship weapons. (this value might change depending on feedback).
    • Cap ship weapons remain at 100% damage dealt on fighter shields (this might change depending on feedback).
    • Irregularities on gunboat, destroyer and cruiser weapons got fixed.
    • Adv. Battleship turret was brought in line with the other battleship defense turrets.
    • Damage outputs and range of battleship turrets remain the same (waiting on feedback here).
    • Gunboat and Cruiser/Destroyer turrets remain at the same damage outputs but got their firing range improved.
    • Gunboat forward guns got their shield damage reduced by ~2/3 but their hull damage increased by ~10% (since shield capacities on capital ships are much lower than the hull the overall damage output remains the same).
    • Gunboat forward guns models got replaced.
    • Gunboat forward guns fire delay has been increased to 3 seconds, the damage values for hull and shields have been adjusted to fully compensate this change.
    • Cruiser/destroyer forward guns now have a fire delay of 5 seconds, the damage values for hull and shields have been adjusted to fully compensate this change.
    • Cruiser/destroyer forward guns shield damage has been reduced while the hull damage remains very high. The lower shield damage is compensated by a superior firing range for this ship class (and of course its higher maneuverability).
    • The suggestion to add thrusters to gunboats did not really please me since that would have made them more of a overpowered fighter/bomber. In my eyes capital ships should not use thrusters at all. However, I increased the normal engine speed of gunboats by 25% (based on feedback this value can be adjusted).

Many changes based on a lot of strange math.

I guess it is testing time.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Ok I will take some ships to Arena as it Seems the best place 2 test all ion One place

:salutes Fools Rush In Where Angels Fear To Tread :patsch: :salutes
    :salutes A Fool and Their Credits are Easily Parted :D
    :salutes Softly, Softly, Catchy Freelancer :P :salutes
    :salutes SMILE :) It Breaks up the Time Between Disasters :thumbsup:
    :salutes I can Only Please one Person Per Day.Today is Not Your Day And Tomorrow does Not Look Good Either :thumbdown: :salutes

• Cap ship shields have a 95% absorption rate on all non-cap ship weapons. (this value might change depending on feedback)

I don't think it's 95% absorption, mate - 0:12

• Capital ship handling for dreadnaughts, battleships, cruisers/destroyers and gunboats has been recalculated with the goal to prevent that ships start spinning.

Seems the cap ships are a little more stable now, but VHFs colliding with them are now the ones spinning like crazy - 0:34 and 1:31.

I have a good news and a bad news for you. The good news is that there is no bad news.

• I was afk @ the time I am not sure if <C> tried 2 Kill me also but my ship had not moved so Looks like theVHF flips now & not the Dreadnaught

:salutes I can Only Please one Person Per Day.Today is Not Your Day And Tomorrow does Not Look Good Either :thumbdown: :salutes

• I can Bounce off the Planets Atmosphere & Not Die

The Spinning of the ship is not so Bad & I can be Killed by 1 VHF but not so Easily

• I don't think it's 95% absorption, mate - 0:12

You are right, it certainly does not look like an absorption at all, which is strange since in all my tests so far it was working.

I might have found an explanation for that already.

The shield capacity looks pretty high, higher than the ones in my tests. Tribbs might have a shield upgrade on that ship and I most certainly forgot to apply the absorption to these upgrades.

I just patched it.

Seems the cap ships are a little more stable now, but VHFs colliding with them are now the ones spinning like crazy - 0:34 and 1:31.

This could be a geometry issue with the ship surface of this specific ship. I think it is worth to test it again with a vanilla battleship.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Cruise charge time for battleships and dreadnaughts got increased to 10 seconds to reflect the larger energy demands.

Welp, this one hurt.

To clarify: my normal strategy of using battleships in Inner Core relied on running away the moment the fighters show up. This just made it significantly harder. And it is also significantly harder to reposition away from under enemy capship fire as well.

I'll make more runs to be sure (I only made a quick run to test if it's still possible after this change). But so far using my strat in IC got slightly harder (but still possible, so it's good). I'm not sure though if the damage reduction from fighter weapons comes into play against alien gunboats, and TBAFH I didn't want to test it on a ship loaded with alien weapons.

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

• in theory the fighters shouldnt be a big problem

the shield absorption should be a more than sufficient compensation for the additional 5 seconds cruise charge time

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I was Flying A Celestis Dreadnaught with all the Upgrades

• Ok, time for status report. I've made some tests with my order destroyer. Here are the results.

Can confirm the maneuverability works more or less (can't say what's the difference, because sadly i've never tried the destroyer in real combat before the changes)

Can confirm the reload time of the forward gun is indeed 5 seconds, what i do found though, is the range (don't know the default range, didn't made tests before) 1700m is the curret range of the main gun and 850 on the secondaries.

Can confirm the damage reduction work as intended. After 5minutes of constant fight in Dervon with the brake between the next incoming wave and a little use of cruise engines moving around, a player will have no problem surviving them and knowing the ancient drones are not to be underestimated this is a big improvement in the surviving capabilities on the cap ships. Tomorrow i might try a gunboat but i can't guarantee.

Always have a thought for those you care about. That way they will never be forgotten even after they are gone.

• just corrected a small issue with the weapons

the weapon ranges should now work correctly

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• cruisers forward guns = 4000

gunboat forward guns = 2500

cruiser turrets = 2000

gunboat turrets = 1500

battleship weapons remained unchanged (a range of 800-2700 depending on the turret)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Tried to shoot DN in Arena. there is Zero chances for VHF now. 95% absorption , its too much?

the ship with 4 best lv 10 guns, make 30k damage per second with fully electric power. now they take 1.5k damage on BS/DN. BS/DN have 900k hull in maximum stuff so we need 10 mins to destroy him, if count shield and less electric i think we need 30 mins to destroy him in AFK status

Edited once, last by thanhrui ().

• as you can see on the chart on Page 1 the damage reduction curve is getting quite steep at higher values.

We can try running with 90% instead.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Looks like VHF's are now Cannon Fodder for Capital ships ,But the vhf was not moving it was in a Afk mode it was a Dragon Fly that I Killed & they was Hard 2 hit if they Moved so this is not a Good Example of the Potential of the Weapons of the DN it was Killed by Guns No Flak or Torps

• yeah need to take a look at bomber weapons then.

Also worth to think about taking a look at npcs, specifically in inner core

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,