Crossfire Roleplay

There are 50 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Michael.

• people moving on or already playing in other servers), but in the end the mod and server would be in its best possible shape, at least that's the endgame though.

Other servers are quite dead, whenever I start FL they show 0/x or 1/x, except Crossfire server.
    Crossfire is the last resort for FL players.

• Having only 2 licenses (good vs bad) is a situation we had years ago and it did not turn out working.

It caused significant problems between the players and also was very hard to balance.

Don't know what happened then, but I can tell you what happens now, when a Pirate wants to tax me or a police wants to fine me for smuggling BMGs:
    I dock, log out and come back next day. With a train you are a lame duck, doesn't make any sense to play when pirates or police is waiting for you.
    With pirates on my side I could at least call for help and of course only half of the guys would be my enemies.

• 3rd post, sorry I don't want to spam....
    The trade lane speedup was maybe overseen. It's a very easy way to make us all more comfortable, and I think it wouldn't change balance in the game.

• guenni7 ... I spent hours with chasing trains and was chased in it myself. It's not easy, if prey is experienced and there's not needed even using hides aka go up or down. It was for me one from biggest fun and challenges. Chasing someone skilled is not easy task even in group, the prey just need to accept that his destination will be reached later. RP is about fun for both, once you won (escape) once you lose ... money in game are just money, they never were problem to get. If you log off only bcs not want be catched, then this is exactly what kills server RP or lead to have less of it. What if: ha someone is coming, let's have some fun and take him aroun Sirius space ... ?

• define "necessary routes" plz

4) Yeah, but not bombers. And as far as I can tell, the Kusari Destroyer was limited to class 7 weapons

which made it useless against cap ships and the Kusari Destroyer was the Battleship-Slayer back in the

days. But, you're right... we can think upon that later.

There are bombers in CF. You should play more.

5) We used to get rich very quickly in the past and we had enough money for everything. I even

remember some people that didn't want to trade and were always in need of cash, but the idea of

'getting a lot of cash quickly' was to be able to get into RP as quickly as possible. If 100-200mil are too

much, maybe we can lower that a little bit, but some of these trades should be constants (like the one

we had in New Berlin to Stuttgarts with the prisoners), Manhattan to Earth with the BMGs etc.

Stuff has not changed... you still can get rich quickly. Ask the billionairs on the server.

As for "people not wanting to download the huge-sized mod", can we compress it even further? They

are able to compress huge BluRay movies into 2-3GBs (with the new x265/HEVC codec), isn't there

anything related to modding?

It is already compressed as much as possible.

Um, yeah. So we span a new player in the middle of no-where with a star??ier just because

we want to have rotating starting points= Or how is that supposed to work? Or do you

mean after you logged out from New York and you login the next day or just the next time

you appear at a random set of possible stations - so maybe in Nephele? I am open for

ideas how this can work.

Before FLhook was a thing people used FLshell. It has a console command which allowed players to type e.g. "/resetstart bretonia" and instead of being on manhatten they were on New London, their starting ship was a bretonian light fighter and the character model was changed to a bretonian uniform. There were start templates being used to update the player file with that information.

My main concern would be how to balance such a feature since there for sure is a significant difference between starting in a Starflyer vs starting in a different ship. The ship value is different, the ship performance is different and also the difficulty in the different starting locations would be different. Imagine spawning a starflyer in Coalition space with Coalition reputation... that is going to be a fun experience when the Rogues attack.

On top of that would we need to have limitations so this starting command can only be used when a character just has been created. Otherwise people use abuse this mechanic by... selecting a start location with an expensive ship... go back to manhattan buy a starflyer (making profit) and running the command again.

Yes, if there is a way to exploit something people will start exploiting it.

Maybe it can be switched on for x minutes only when events are running. Event managers could get switch it on via a command.

This way it can be limited and won't be a risk for RP... unless EMs would abuse their powers (which I don't expect to happen).

Hmmm... yeah, I was just wondering if there was a better solution to that, though I download the mod

(and the updates) quite fast, don't we all have a fast internet these days? (not counting those that are in

North/South America, they are an exception because I do understand their concern), but you download

the mod and its updates

no comment from germany

Don't know what happened then, but I can tell you what happens now, when a Pirate wants to tax me

or a police wants to fine me for smuggling BMGs:

I dock, log out and come back next day. With a train you are a lame duck, doesn't make any sense to play when pirates or police is waiting for you.

With pirates on my side I could at least call for help and of course only half of the guys would be my enemies.

But that is the core of the problem with RP... people try to avoid it (which btw. is against the rules).

Avoiding RP kills RP. Sometimes RP hurts... but it keeps players active.

3rd post, sorry I don't want to spam....

The trade lane speedup was maybe overseen. It's a very easy way to make us all more comfortable,

and I think it wouldn't change balance in the game.

To be honest I don't really like that.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• I agree with most part with OP with regards to the RP related stuff. RP is taking a big hit these days, because people mostly avoid it since they aren't really skilled in pvp or have bad connection (the connection thing is outside of their hands mostly). But, RP shouldn't be modified to much. I really like the idea of people not being able to change their role for a period (let's say, if you wanna change it you have to wait 7-14 days) and that the licence is stuck with you pretty much.

define "necessary routes" plz

I'm kinda against this idea, showing some maps and stuff. Since we said it's not possible to make explored systems account based, modifying it won't really help that much. I also think it's going to be hard to define necessary...

To be honest I don't really like that.

Me neither. Increasing the trade lane speed would make escaping much easier than hunting in my opinnion. You jump into a trade lane, start running away at a high speed, you undock randomly, and go dive down. Until the pursuer figures out where you are, you could be long gone.

Edit: the only issue that I found with RP and the wast system is, it's to big actually for role-play. Don't get me wrong, I love the different systems and everything, but hunting people (like police) and just doing RP stuff is most of the time hard, because the systems are to big. If you aren't a really old player, that has like 1 ship in each system, it's a bit hard. Having more people would probably solve this "issue", but as for now, in my opinion the star system is to big to really have RP :s

"Only the strongest will survive!"

Edited once, last by GodEatGod ().

• Other servers are quite dead, whenever I start FL they show 0/x or 1/x, except Crossfire server.
    Crossfire is the last resort for FL players.

Except Discovery, there were up to 65 people online during the day and 30-40 during the late hours (that's what I witnessed in January this year).

define "necessary routes" plz

Everything visible except the hidden stuff (as in - the good, good stuff). Yeah, you might find them easier if everything else is visible, but at least you'll have the map at your disposal rather than browsing through the Wiki, by constantly minimizing the game because of it etc.

There are bombers in CF. You should play more.

I have, for close to 15 years and I'm well aware that there are bombers and none of them are agile enough or strong enough to take out a Battleship, no matter if it has 4-5 Torpedo slots, the result is the same if that torpedo isn't strong enough. As for "Destroyers", the Kusari Destroyer was the greatest "battleship-slayer" until the weapon class was lowered to 7 which made it useless. Why do you think that everyone fights a Battleship with a VHF? VHF shouldn't even be able to take out a battleship (if we are talking about realism).

Stuff has not changed... you still can get rich quickly. Ask the billionairs on the server.

I am not talking about changing the whole trading, just adding more to it.

no comment from germany

I know... I think our fiber cables run to Germany.

Look, these are just ideas and opinions... it's up to you to take whatever you wish and... just do whatever you please. I completely agree that the RP is up to the people, but why did they refuse to do RP? What was the real reason? And no, I am not talking about the immature behavior in the past.

• you have fiber cables?

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Was there a joke somewhere in this?

FYI, we have one of the fastest internet in the world.

• we dont

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Wait... wut?

You telling me that the economic power in Europe doesn't have fiber optic cables? o_O

• Chasing someone skilled is not easy task even in group, the prey just need to accept that his destination will be reached later. RP is about fun for both, once you won (escape) once you lose ...

That's sure true for pirates and police, for a smuggler with only one available bmg trade-route daily I think it's not.
    If your oponent sits on one of the endpoints of the route and has a well equiped ship, there's simply no chance to make the trade.
    Would all be good, if I get taxed or fined, pay it and good is. But as rules also allow not using tax/fine but shoot-on-sight, there's no point for a smuggler to take the risk.

• Wait... wut?

You telling me that the economic power in Europe doesn't have fiber optic cables? o_O

We have pigeons... does that count?

A study in 2016 ranked germanys internet quality behind afghanistan... i dont have the feeling that much has changed.

We have 5G in a hand full of cities... and no G in many villages all across the country. But at least internet is expensive here.... much more than in other countries.

Instead of fast fiber optic connections to every household we have this fantastic vectoring tech which limits the bandwidth on the last few meters because of reasons (I assume the 8 meter copper cable from the junction box to the house made a huge difference in terms of cost efficiency. The savings must be huge compared to a full fiber optic connection).

But I actually can not complain.... well I complained a lot to the phone company over the many years until they finally managed to get me a 100mbit connection (even with full speed capacity). I belong to the lucky ones.... and to the people which bother phone companies until they get their shit right. A 3am hotline call can do miracles.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• We have pigeons... does that count?

A study in 2016 ranked germanys internet quality behind afghanistan... i dont have the feeling that much has changed.

We have 5G in a hand full of cities... and no G in many villages all across the country. But at least internet is expensive here.... much more than in other countries.

Instead of fast fiber optic connections to every household we have this fantastic vectoring tech which limits the bandwidth on the last few meters because of reasons (I assume the 8 meter copper cable from the junction box to the house made a huge difference in terms of cost efficiency. The savings must be huge compared to a full fiber optic connection).

But I actually can not complain.... well I complained a lot to the phone company over the many years until they finally managed to get me a 100mbit connection (even with full speed capacity). I belong to the lucky ones.... and to the people which bother phone companies until they get their shit right. A 3am hotline call can do miracles.

Damn... that's so unlikely for Germany since it's one of the most stable/developed countries in Europe.

I'm with 100mbit as well which costs me about 40 BGN (20 Euros) that also includes a Mobile plan/contract (I'm on VIVACOM). Though I use only the half of that (50mbit), because I am a 'laptop' guy and the LAN card of my ASUS laptop even though it says that it supports up to 300Mbit connection, it takes only 50 via WiFi, although on my Desktop PC, I get the full 100Mbit connection. I can get another LAN cable for my laptop so I will use the full speed, but nah... I try to be as 'wireless' as possible, that's why I have two pairs of Wireless Bluetooth headphones too and I'm good with the 50Mbit connection, but if I do need something urgent as quickly as possible I may use the 100Mbit, but until then... I am good.

That's more than enough for me to be honest. The other offers are:
    80 BGN (40 Euros) = 300Mbit
    120 BGN (60 Euros) = 500Mbit
    150 BGN (75 Euros) = 900MBit
    ______
    I am not even sure if there are LAN cards that support 1Gbit and I can't even begin to imagine the heavy load of such speed, but I guess the SSDs fixed that issue.

That's why I said earlier that the fiber cables go towards Germany, because that's where I believe it's the hub (as far as I've heard in the past, I believe it's in Frankfurt if I am not mistaken) and yet you don't have the same offers? That's messed up.

You lucky one. Sitting here paying for 16 MBit and just having 12, very seldom 16...

That's also some kind of role play - I belong to the poor people - in terms of internet speed

That's even more messed up...

PS: Beware of the 5G... it's the most dangerous tech we are about to have soon.

Edited once, last by ILIYAN ().

• That's sure true for pirates and police, for a smuggler with only one available bmg trade-route daily I think it's not.
    If your oponent sits on one of the endpoints of the route and has a well equiped ship, there's simply no chance to make the trade.
    Would all be good, if I get taxed or fined, pay it and good is. But as rules also allow not using tax/fine but shoot-on-sight, there's no point for a smuggler to take the risk.

Yes, BMGs have special days for extra profit, but if someone sit in destination, then may depened about who is there. You alwas can ask if he is open for possibility pay tax/fine or if he not communicate. And there are other places and routes (many) which allows good profit each day ... clever pirate can make nice money, for police it is not so easy but it always was about decision what is acceptable for each smuggler ... I usually let smuggler go once, these which I knew had fortunes I sometimes asked to drop cargo, sometimes shot them when didnt respond. But this is all about have fun for both sides in RP situation ... something what not everyone understand. Btw only police can shot you on sigth with illegal cargo ... however it is one from things which I always thought were bad.

If I was smuggler, I would do it most of time and poke police officers to "try" chase me :) ... if they would be not interested to do it, and instead drink cofee on one place, I would gladly make my money in different place. In the end ... chase itself was at least for me the biggest fun, try estimate where target can go and try to reach that place faster :) ...

you can try read this: Smugglers or other things I wrote in Police Alliance and other also may have some interesting stories, which can give ideas what to try :) . Smugglers can be those who can generate numerous RP situations ...

• final off topic comment update

Ill get a 250mbit upgrade next week without additional costs. Sometimes you have to make some phone calls.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Oh yeah... tell me about it, in the past we had to make sooo many calls to 'fix' the internet, that was the time before the fiber optic cables, now we don't make any calls at all because everything runs perfectly smooth.

PS: Also my final Off-Topic comment.

• Yes, BMGs have special days for extra profit, but if someone sit in destination, then may depened about who is there. You alwas can ask if he is open for possibility pay tax/fine or if he not communicate. And there are other places and routes (many) which allows good profit each day ... clever pirate can make nice money, for police it is not so easy but it always was about decision what is acceptable for each smuggler ... I usually let smuggler go once, these which I knew had fortunes I sometimes asked to drop cargo, sometimes shot them when didnt respond. But this is all about have fun for both sides in RP situation ... something what not everyone understand. Btw only police can shot you on sigth with illegal cargo ... however it is one from things which I always thought were bad.

If I was smuggler, I would do it most of time and poke police officers to "try" chase me :) ... if they would be not interested to do it, and instead drink cofee on one place, I would gladly make my money in different place. In the end ... chase itself was at least for me the biggest fun, try estimate where target can go and try to reach that place faster :) ...

you can try read this: Smugglers or other things I wrote in Police Alliance and other also may have some interesting stories, which can give ideas what to try :) . Smugglers can be those who can generate numerous RP situations ...

Hi Martin,
    I think I have a problem sharing your very enthusiastic view on role-play.
    As long as shoot-on-sight for smugglers is granted to police (or pirates that think they have the right), I don't see no fun in this.
    I understand that in role-play this apears to be legit, but for me personally it takes all the fun away.
    As I stated before, I would be ok with a tax or fine, but getting shot on sight several times is not exactly a way to bound me to crossfire.

• I understand what you mean by this, but if I fine you for example for 2m (hypothetically speaking) your cargo is worth at least 10 times the amount. I get the feeling that everyone would do smuggling then, since it's the most profitable one. You get taxed/fined, you pay and move on with your cargo. You aren't loosing that much. Maybe if we find a middle ground to satisfy both police and smugglers, it would be better for both sides, no?