Portal Software

There are 7 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Martind Forlon.

• In 2018 we did a massive community funded update to the SWAT Portal.

Details about this can be found here: Important! Pls read

A week ago the software we run this community on got a major update which in theory would require to purchase new licenses and do another major upgrade progress.

Well, I like to share my thoughts about the situation with you.

I have a test version of the new software running and the new features are certainly very interesting. I am going to give access to that test version to the Portal staff members so they can try it out later.

Despite the new features and the ability to cover the costs for such an upgrade (we still have leftover funds from the 2018 upgrade) I don't think that we should do such an upgrade now.

The software we currently use is very reliable and runs perfectly smooth and bug free. This won't change until 2023 because until then our current software will be compatible with modern web standards.

With other words, there is currently no pressure to do an upgrade.

Another reason why I would wait is the fact that new software never is bug free. It certainly will take months until everything runs smooth on the new software version.

However, the main reason why I don't want to upgrade now is the fact that we currently use many addition features that are based on free but also paid plugins. Only a few of them are compatible with the new Portal software and it for sure will take a good amount of time for the plugin creators to release updates and/or re-release plugins which are compatible.

Maybe in a few months or a year the situation will look different and the upgrade makes sense then. But right now we have no reason to push for an upgrade that actually is not needed atm.

The benefits atm do not justify the potential risks.

We will have to do such an upgrade eventually but we are not pressured to do it anytime soon. And like I said earlier... the costs of such an upgrade are already covered with the leftover money from 2018.

If you have different opinions on this matter or if you think we need certain changes/improvements in specific areas some feedback would be nice.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Don't rush... we have a saying here "Something that works good, you don't touch"

But oh boy how many times I did not listen to that saying... but the bright side is I learned a lot from that, lol... but back on the topic, my personal opinion: This is not something urgent neither that it does need any upgrades, because it works perfectly fine... so I believe it can wait. ;)

• Maybe you might explain a bit more, I checked the forum software site and they offer the software for 99 Euros/year including all updates.
    Do you have a different contract or why is the update a probem?

• The full package (which we use) costs 339,95€.

On top of that we use plugins worth another ~400€.

An upgrade for main software is discounted.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• From what I could see the new one doesnt look any better or has anything better than we currently need at the moment. The only thing i find nice is that board now can have board-images - something like this could it make a little more attractive. But on the other hand most users would use the forum or thread view and wouldnt put that much attention to it.

signature.png

• With experience how much work needed previous transfer, I would be only maximally happy if the next transfer will happen only at time when pulgins we use now (wiki especially) can be transferred automatically.