Can't activate Crossfire after installing

There are 9 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• I have a new (3 mos old) Alienware running Win10. I own a copy of Freelancer on CD from years back. I followed the directions of installing it to new directory (not in program files). I installed 1.31 mod manager and then crossfire 2.0. Restart PC as directed.

When I try to activate Crossfire in the Mod Mgr, it appears to be going fine but at the end says there was an error:

Error: problem activating 'Crossfire Mod 2.0 Client Edition'

Error: SHCopyFile failed ('D:\Freelancer Mod Manager\mods\Freelancer 2 - Crossfire\EXE\MultiUniverse.dl2' to 'D:\Freelancer\EXE\MultiUniverse.dll')

I've tried it at least 4 times now, uninstalling everything, making sure it's clean but no luck.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

• When installing Crossfire into Mod Manager, you need to select English as installer language. Otherwise, there's a bug when the installer does not unpack the additional archive, hence, not all mod files end up installed.

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

• Well... check if that file exists in the FLMM mod folder. If it doesn't, then something went wrong in the installation progress. If it does, then FLMM can't copy it - run FLMM as Admin and remove read-only from Freelancer folder.

This problem has been encountered before; but I can't remember precisely how to fix/avoid it. The installer language was what helped me back when 2.0 was just out.

Also, check your disk space, since CF essentially takes double the disk space (it copies itself during activation).

P.S. Also check your AV logs. There were false positives before.

• 1. check if there is a "MultiUniverse.dl2" inside that flmm directory located in "mods\Freelancer 2 - Crossfire\EXE"

If not then the installer failed to install it (i advice to run the installer as admin)

2. if that file exists then it simply is not allowed to write to your drive D:

There could be multiple reasons for such a problem.

It is possible that this file already exists (that happens if previous installations existed).

It also could mean that you are not allowed to write to that directory. There could be an access restriction or simply a write protection on that directory.

Right click on the Freelancer folder there, go to properties and remove the read only option on the general tab. Apply these settings to subfolders when prompted.

Also try to run FLMM as admin (right click the exe file and select "run as administrator".

Edit by
    To be honest I am not aware of a language problem during the installation.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• To be honest I am not aware of a language problem during the installation.

IDK, I caught a glance of it back when I first tried to install 2.0 right after it was out, probably was a mistake or something.

• That issue happened only with the old installer (with one big extra archive), and is gone now.

@hawkeye: try disabling any anti-virus software during installation, and also check if there is enough disk space for activation.

Maybe this super-detailed installation guide will help you as well:

• I got Crossfire 2.0 to activate.
    I watched it like a hawk.

Very briefly, during activation, my security program warned me of two malicious files in Crossfire.

The first of course being "MultiUniverse.dl2". The second one was: "cfwidescreenfix.exe"

When it failed to activate, I went into my security program and found where I could "allow" them, and tried again.

This time it activated.

I haven't tried to play it yet. I wanted to ask if anyone was aware of either of these files being a security problem?

• Well, I didnt see false positive threads in years (even though they do happen, nobody saw an issue with trusting it) so I dont remember files but... security can find anything it's not able to "read" as dangerous, as well as anything that can change your configuration/files like cfwidescreenfix executable, which you probably wont need to use. If it's downloaded from here, the swat portal, it's safe. 50k downloads of latest versions, just from this site prove that :D

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

Edited once, last by Michael ().

• If you get such warnings the best would be to go the the website of your security software. Most, if not all provide a way to upload files for detailed checks.

Once checked and if there is no problem with these files they will be added to the whitelist of that security software.

Some of these tools even offer uploads directly.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!