I am stuck with "Old Graphics Card support" graphics

There are 26 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by MuG3N.

• Hellooo, it's me again...

So this time, I have managed to get the mod working.

On my laptop its... nearly unplayable sadly.

So, I borrowed a 32GB flash-drive from my friend and transferred the installation files to my desktop which is significantly more powerful(but it can't get internet), did the long and annoying installation process, and got it to run. It runs quite smoothly actually, at least with just the Vanilla texture filter.

Now here's the problem that just really rustles my jimmies: When I installed it, I explicitly left the Old GPU support disabled. And then I get into the first cutscene and I get these ANNOYING, DEMONIC BLOCKS of color whenever an effect happens, which means it's in Old GPU support mode. This is annoying because I know for a fact that my desktop can handle it, I used to play CF 1.9 on it, and I never got those dang squares.

Now I couple of things I've tried to fix it with are:
    adding my GPU to the flconfigdatabase.txt
    changing the texture filters around
    Reinstalling the mod, and made absolutely certain that old gpu support is disabled (twice, I've wasted so much time today -_-)

None of those did the job, so that's why I've decided to make a thread here.

Maybe is there a file somewhere that has something like "Old Graphics Card Support = 1" so that I can easily just change it to "0", or is that too naive?

Again, my desktop, while not being the best gaming computer, is defiantly sufficient enough to handle CF enough to not need old gpu support.

• Maybe you have read-only on the CF folder that prevents the change? This is known to botch shaders change AFAIK, maybe the old GPU support works the same way?

"Across the savage skies and through the fissures in the fields,
    The rumble of the engines and the trundle of the wheels,
    Through hell and horror trudge and yet their spirits never yield.
    Will they sing of these forsaken pawns of war?"
    -Miracle Of Sound, "Pawns of War".

• Block of colors, not something like blank white boxes around ? As if missing textures ? Or they do have colors.

My PC had the blank squares issue and it doesn't have any old or integrated GPU, it's self made. Was a different problem with something in windows... I think. Or missing/corrupt archives in the downloaded mod file. It's kinda the only mistery for me as at a point it started to work fine, maybe after some windows service pack update with some basic software lol

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Maybe you have read-only on the CF folder that prevents the change? This is known to botch shaders change AFAIK, maybe the old GPU support works the same way?

As the directions say, I make sure wright protection is off on everything.

@Michael No, it's not missing textures, the squares have colors.

• That you dont have the squares on 1.9 means not much. With cf 2.0 we replaced a lot of texture files, maybe too big to be handled by your CPU/GPU meanwhile. Have you used the low graphics option? Do you use any shader?
    Maybe its a system setting where you can raise the graphic power of the game. Nvidia offers something like this - game related graphic settings that overrule the game settings.

Apart from this the mod dont has an easy option to switch from high to low graphic mode. You only can do this when activating the mod.

signature.png

• That you dont have the squares on 1.9 means not much. With cf 2.0 we replaced a lot of texture files, maybe too big to be handled by your CPU/GPU meanwhile. Have you used the low graphics option? Do you use any shader?
    Maybe its a system setting where you can raise the graphic power of the game. Nvidia offers something like this - game related graphic settings that overrule the game settings.

Apart from this the mod dont has an easy option to switch from high to low graphic mode. You only can do this when activating the mod.

So... because more stuff was added, now it will look WORSE for me? Also are you implying that it will just arbitrarily change to old gpu support without even having a message pop up to tell me about it? Maybe someone should change that... Anyways, yes i've played around with all of the graphics settings, and including the last few days I've reinstalled the mod more times than you can count on your fingers...

The gpu I'm using is the intel G45/G43 express chipset. It's not built for gaming, but I know for a fact it can do better than those annoying blocks. I can run Need For Speed Prostreet with it, I think it has more than 128MB of VRAM...

What I'm thinking about trying is using my other graphics card, its a Nvidia GeForce 6600, but the problem with it is it's on it's last legs, it tends to crash a lot, give bluescreens, and a lot of other symtoms of a failing gpu, but maybe I can get a good test out of it. If I reinstall again (-_-) and use that gpu, I think that will prove that it's not because my gpu can't handle it.

• Could you provide a screenshot showing what you described? I think it could be the effect "sarma" particles maybe its something else. We had been issues with white or black squares in the past and they reason was that the GPU couldnt handle the textures. But we thought we came around this problem. As far as i remember you're the first reporting this problem since a long time.

signature.png

• Ahh, a nice example of my struggle, right on the main menu screen, at least that's convenient... :roflmao:

[xattach=6096][/xattach]

Just for an example I'll also include another older screenshot of mine from another game to demonstrate what my gpu is capable of rendering. Plus, it's a nice car, yes?

[xattach=6097][/xattach]

Files

• not enough vram to load the textures correctly

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• i dont know
    ive build the mod but i never did graphic card tests

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• most likely not the amount of VRam is important but which texture sizes can be loaded into it

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Well I've tried with the "Enhanced Effects" option on and off and it makes no difference (there are more colored blocks with it enabled, that's all). There is no way for me to not have these ugly blocks unless I go back to 1.9?

There is one other thing I noticed that might be the problem:

I notice that the installer itself saves some settings sometimes, mainly I noticed that the windows runtime boxes remained unchecked from the last time I re-installed. I think it's unlikely, but maybe it saved the settings from when I installed it on my laptop, because I just transferred the installer that I used to install CF on my laptop to my desktop... it wouldn't make much sense though because it uses flmm to actually put all the files in the game, if I am correct about how that works...

One more little anomaly that may or may not have any connection to this is that the cursor does not appear the first time I run the modded game, I have to esc out, change the cursor set from the launcher, and then run the game again, then it works fine.

So, just to be thorough, I'll re-download a fresh installer, and then if that still doesn't accomplish anything, I'll see what I can do with my dying GeForce 6600 I have sitting in my closet...

btw if anyone happens to have an extra psu lying around, I could reeeeaaaaallly use one to support this Nvidia 8400GS I have also in my closet because my psu is too small!
    Also I have a ATI Rage 128 Pro that is so old my computer doesn't even have the right type of slot for it... what should I do with it lol

• If there are more of those blocks with it enabled I guess it shows that OP's explanation is on the right way.

Maybe try selling it to second hand shops ? And then buying a new PSU, I thought it was of the cheapest parts in a table PC.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• yep the 6600 is fully dead I just found out.
    Ah, I'm better off to just wait to get a new computer.

So in the mean time I'll just take a shot every time I see an ugly block... hahaha only joking, if I had money for alcohol, I'd surely have a better pc by now...

• I FIXED IT!!!

You know how the Cursor wasn't showing up unless I changed the cursor set around? I guess it was the same thing with the effect particles, because when I changed the particle color from Red to White just now, I don't get any more Ugly blocks.

Here's a screenshot from when the Rogue base gets torpedoed.

After more playing with it, if I select "Red" particle effects, the one I put first into the flmm options, that's the only one that causes the blocks... every other color works just fine.. weird. Bet hey I'll take it, maybe I don't get my first choice in particle colors, but now I can play the game without wanting to hit the monitor with my keyboard ^^

Files

• untitled.JPG

(90.98 kB, downloaded 15 times, last: )

Edited 2 times, last by MuG3N ().

• What has been your first color choice then? Is anyone else than red also working and only the initial one not?

Red. Red was my first choice, and red is the one I selected first when flmm did it's thing. Red is the only one that doesn't work. All of the others work just fine.