crossfire options explanations

There are 35 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by subxero.

• uh, I just launched the online game, but i'm stuck on pittsburg... I was in manhattan, I took off, and I was directly led to pittsurg. I couldn't even see the open space... :( how comes ? I think I'm just going to wait until you answer me... this is quite frusrtating you know, after reading the whole rulebook ^^

Edited once, last by Sindarus: qfgqsdffqsdfqdsf ().

• oh, it might be because I got my freelancer on wide-screen, i'm checking it up. Thanks ! Oh well ... I suppose i'll have to re-install freelancer all over again >.< I'm going to take care of that and I'll be back.
    btw, I saw the new launcher, wow ! It's really amazing ! I think I had never seen any UI like this ! really good job !

Edited 3 times, last by Sindarus: qsdf ().

• SP experience :
    cool, I easily bought a hammerhead at level 6 (wtf ?) but then i realized i had to make about half a million credits to level up (wtf ? it's 50 missions at 10k each !), and I decided to buy a dromedary again, caus with that you can make 100 000$ per 3/4 minutes by selling water on norfolk's battleship (wtf?). The thing is, now i'm blocked on mactan base: even though i'm friendly with lane hackers, the outcasts wont let me cross 10 meters. I thought crossfire would rebalance the game, was I clearly wrong ? I would be delighted to be proven the contrary.
    One more thing is that my ship goes crazy when it's about docking to bases. I end up making huge circles, just to dock to a spot 10 meters away to my actual position. And also, when i have to travel long distance with my cruise engine, and there's a planet or a star in the middle of my way, the game wont be able to handle it any more. the cruises just stop when approaching too close, they try to reactivate, but never do, since my ship is constantly re-lead toward the star ...
    Otherwise, the mod is great.

• Starter Guide. CF is balanced very well if you know how to fight. Its not so hard learn, because you can use enough detailed video combat guides for improving your combat skills. You have also nice ways how to rise your funds also with "only" basic missions (selling pods).

Dock: move to position before dock doors (keep some distance) and wait for NPC dock/undock and when door are closing press F3 .. it need only little experience which will spare you headaches with autopilot trying to dock (he will dock in the end, but you can need some big patience for this :D )

Planets, obstacles in autopilot : best you can do is sw autopilot off and fly on manual, autopilot (FL) simply not handle this thing very well.

• well, I'm not saying it's too hard actually, it gets very easy if you know where to go. Maybe I wasn't clear about that. What I meant was, it's weird that you have to do 50 missions to level up, when you can earn 160 000 (yeah, I just checked up, it's 160 000 creds you can make in 3/4 mins by selling water to norfolk's batteship), and therefore level up in 15 minutes with a dromadery, or one hour with a rhino. It's also weird that I managed to buy a hammerhead at level 6, all legit.

oh, thanks for the docking advice, I was already doing the get-as-close-as-you-can-to-the-dock-before-pressig-F3 method, now it's gonna get good I think :)

the star in omega 5 got remixed in a very cool way btw !

• lvl requirement for ships were dropped in the mod by player request
    if you have the money to buy a ship then buy it

next to that are missions at least as profitable as trading if you simply collect the escape pods and sell them to prison

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• ah ok, well, they shouldn't have requested to drop the level. : p and I guess fan service is the big pillar of modding :)
    Ah okay, I'll try selling the pods to prison ! thanks for the advice ! sounds like a good game play improvement.

Also, I always try to give the basis for my critic, making it an -at least slightly- elaborate critics. I wish it works.

• jeez, i'm stuck on a base again... I easily went in the deep independent system, and now I am stuck, killed by bounty hunters. How could I even get this far since i'm not even able to stand 10 sec against bounty hunters, and that we encounter them everywhere... was just I lucky ? I doubt that my post will change anything, but maybe if we're more to be questioning about that feature, this can be useful. I think I will just cheat for this case.

btw, i tried selling escape pods, and it sure is as profitable as trading ! thx !

• Well, in this case, i suggest you take just any mission from the board and fly out... dont complete the mission... once you're in safe space oe area... just abort the mission...

• oh, that's very clever ! thank you for this tip ! Sometimes you just can't take any mission, I guess in that case you're just fucked xD

I read about inertia, I think it's great, it makes it more realistic, even though it's weird that you gain inertia potential (a.k.a. mass) when you don't dock for long ... xD

• Sometimes in any one base, there are several factions that are offering missions. if you cant get any at one point, just relog, and check again. hopefully there will be some mission to take.

Regarding the inertia, someone told me that it will be removed in CF 2.0. but i dont know, whether its true or not...

• Hello, I just finished the game again, and so, I started the crossfire campaign ! So far, what I have seen is quite exciting ! the re-use of existing animation and speeches was quite obvious, but worth it. The thing is, I started that mission when Juni and Trent have to go and find Sol, because analysts found a wreck containing russian data in some sector. But as we were in new london, I thought to my-self that it was the right time I was near a prison, and I could sell all the prisoners I had in my hold for weeks. But then, when I came back on new London, I just didn't know where to go any more. No mission way-point, and btw, Juni seems to have died in her cockpit, because she ain't moving at all any more xD
    Is there a way I can re-enter the "mission mode" without reloading a earlier save ? Maybe if I find the way point, it'll all go well. The thing is, I just don't know where to go. What route are we supposed to take to go to sol?

EDIT: actually, I just went back to crossfire, clicked randomly everywhere on the map, and the mission way point got back ... sorry for disturbing. Though, I had tried that already :p.

• Crash report.

we were approaching the earth, when Juni and I got attacked by an enormous nomad ship. We thought the battle was over, that we were going to die, but then the osiris de-cloaked, and we tried to dock. But then. BOOM. "windows is trying to find a solution to your problem"

EDIT: After re-launching, all went well this time. I'm not stuck at this point of the campaign.

-----------------------------------

My impression.

waw ! What a ride in the warp anomaly ! the new effects are pretty nice ! and the music that goes on fits well too (it only stops quite brutally I think).
    And then, what a tour ! this quick overview on the solar system ! so great ! I almost had goose-flesh :D
    And these old-looking jump gates, very clever ! fits really well ! really gives the impression of oldness and desertness.
    And this trickery by which you force the player to jump from planet to planet to get closer and closer to the earth, really clever too, what a way to retain the suspense ! It is a good piece of scenario/game mechanic ! :thumbsup:

Edited once, last by Sindarus: qsdf ().

• At the point when they have prepared the war against the career nomad ship, and you have to go out and kill'em, I took off the Osiris, but there was no one in the space, and so I decided to kill myself, so I penetrated into Uranus (haha very funny), and died, fried in the atmosphere. I clicked on "load autosave" and then : BOOM. "Windows is trying to fuck with your mind".

I wish this won't happen too often. I'm done with crossfire for tonight :)

• One thing about autosaves and being stuck:

From my experience, when you fly into systems that are too difficult for your level (i.e. too remote) you always risk to be slaughtered. If you keep off the trade lanes you mostly will not be harrassed by enemies and can get to remote places. However, if you dock somewhere there always is a chance that once you launch into space enemies will be waiting for you and kill you in seconds. Two things to solve this:

• Do not fly into areas where your in way over your head, or naturally you will risk to be slaughtered or stuck.
    • I do not only rely on autosave, but occasionally save the game when I know that I'm in a safe spot.