Posts by subxero

Thanks a lot for the reply! Many questions have been answered. However, since I play only in singleplayer mode (for now), my questions were related only to SP. Sorry for making that not clear enough.

Did I get it right that some features like Licenses (smuggling, piracy, police) are only useful in multiplayer?
    So freely exploring all the new sectors and systems in SP can only be done after finishing the campaigns (which I called "missions" in my previous posting)?

Recently I've been discovering the beauty of old games. There are some jewels out there which still offer a lot of gaming fun. (I just played Titan Quest, NFS Most Wanted, Age of Empires.) I played Freelancer back in 2004 and had some fun, so I decided to check out the game once more. Soon I came across the Crossfire Mod and I must say you guys have done a great job improving the game! Keep up the good work!

One thing about autosaves and being stuck:

From my experience, when you fly into systems that are too difficult for your level (i.e. too remote) you always risk to be slaughtered. If you keep off the trade lanes you mostly will not be harrassed by enemies and can get to remote places. However, if you dock somewhere there always is a chance that once you launch into space enemies will be waiting for you and kill you in seconds. Two things to solve this:

• Do not fly into areas where your in way over your head, or naturally you will risk to be slaughtered or stuck.
    • I do not only rely on autosave, but occasionally save the game when I know that I'm in a safe spot.

Hi guys,

I've played Freelancer many years ago and just last week I stumbled across this Crossfire Mod. I read a lot about it, read the wiki and searched the forum. Still, I have several questions which remained unanswered. Before I start asking, let me say that you guys have done a fantastic job with this mod, I'm having a blast playing the game with improved graphics and enhanced content! This game is 11 years old and still more fun than most other games of this genre out there. I can't wait to see the Mod version 2.0 with the improved graphics! I installed Freelancer, the Mod Manager and the Crossfire 1.9 Mod, and started playing the mission (I just won the friggin race). I play in singleplayer mode. Here are my questions:

• Can I play this game with family or friends in the LAN? Meaning, can I set up a Crossfire server for home usage without having to log on to one of the servers on the internet? Is there a guide for setting up an own server?
    • Do I have to start a new character when switching from single- to multiplayer, or can I use my character from the singleplayer game?
    • Do I have to re-activate the mod with the Mod Manager if I want to switch to multiplayer?
    • When a new version of the Mod (Crossfire Mod 2.0) is released, can I continue with my saved game, or do I have to start anew?
    • When I finish the regular mission, will new Crossfire mission(s) automatically start? Is there an overview of those missions and their story?
    • How do I get access to the new content, like new sectors and systems? Will they be introduced during the Crossfire mission(s)?
    • How does the game proceed after the missions? I guess that it offers plenty of content to explore and develop, like all different types of ships, equipment, planets etc. Or will most of the content be covered by the missions (like it is in the old Freelancer game)?
    • I read something about new sources of income, like smuggling, mining or trading. Is there a guide which describes how I can do that? (I once saw big ships mining from asteroides, are they just eye candy or do they have a purpose?)
    • There are other new interesting features (like acquiring certain Licenses) which are not covered by the Wiki. Is there another guide?
    • I guess I can also just play the game freely and work myself up to higher levels without doing the missions. I never tried that. Would you recommend doing this? (Sounds like lots of exploring fun.)
    • Can I access the new systems in the Sirius Sector right from the beginning? Or will these Jump Gates only be available after finishing the mission?
    • How do I travel to different sectors? I found no clue about how that works. Are there special gates leading to other sectors? How do I find them? (The Crossfire universe seems to be too HUGE to search it completely!)
    • The F1 menu cannot be opened anymore if you are in space. I miss that feature since I might want to be able to change the options or load a saved game at any time. Is this a bug or is it intended?
    • What's the deal with those luxury liner ships? :)

I drew a printable map of all systems in the Sirius Sector using Microsoft Visio. If you are interested in publishing the Visio file on your website, let me know.
    Thanks again for this great mod, keep going!