crossfire options explanations

There are 35 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by subxero.

• Hello everyone, :)

I started installing crossfire today and all went well (thanks to the tutos from here !) but then at the activation point (in FLMM), I had to chose options that I couldn't change afterwards. The thing is, I found no documentation about these options apart from this : index.php?page=Thread&threadID=22131 which is extremely relevant, but only covers 3 choices out of 16.

I've really been looking hard : I went there index.php?page=Thread&threadID=32865
    I've followed every link, went here : index.php?page=FaqDetail&category=7#question127 which only explain the cross-hair option
    I also went to the wiki, searching for "options" but didn't find anything.

That's why I'm asking you guys here, is there some documentation about what the options are about ? Like, how do all the huds look like ? what means "open signleplayer" or "normal single player" ? What particles will be affected by the colour choice ?
    Actually these are all the questions that really bother me, however I thought that other players (new players) would need further explanations for all the options.

thank you by advance. o/

• Hello Sindarus,

is one more thread with all options used but withtou detailed explanation: Crossfire 1.9 - Activation. What you ask I can explain only OpenSP and normalSP .. OpenSP do not have campaign, Normal opposite. But this option can be changed now also in new launcher.

If you will want experiment a bit and compare, then can be for you interesting this: More mods or CF versions activated .. I had one time 6 CF versions activated to compare some graffic settings (but this was longer time ago and is related to used hardware).

• thank you for your answer, it'll be normal single player for me so !
    Well, I could do all the testing myself, but I find it a bit silly, since I'm sure there are dozen of people here that could answer me, and manage to create some documentation so that no one will ever ask this question again. :)

• okay, I've tried random parameters, and I now know that the red crossfire hud is not very aesthetic to me, that the new cursor set n4, while being nice, is way too transparent to be well seen, and that the sexy outfit n1 for Juni gives her a giraffe neck ^^
    My first impressions on the mod ?
    - Well, I don't know if I'm a shitty player, but I find the difficulty quite hard. I admit that I died on the mission when you have to destroy rogues' base with King...
    - Great textures ! Even though it's a bit weird to see 3 polygons models with HD textures. :D
    - Just one question : wtf with the disco music played when you take off of any planet/base ? It's not in the freelancer atmosphere at all... and so is the main menu crossfire default music (yeah, I can change it, that's true). You know, I just think it's supposed to be a calm atmosphere music. And I think the original HUD sounds (the sound when you click, when you select... etc) didn't really need to be replaced too.
    - The fights are faster paced, which is nice ! very nice visual effects and sound combat too !! One only thing I wonder is that, it seems to me that one tends to get too close to the enemy ship than in the original game while fighting. Is that due to the ship speed that was increased ? maybe one just have to slow down...
    - Wtf with the cursor with the acronym "CF" on it ? I think it really wasn't a wise thing to do too, it just gives me the impression of the shitty cursor modifications you have on old, over-pimped, websites. anyway, I just think it doesn't look very professional (I know CF is not professional but you got my point).
    - I've had several display bugs, I just think it was caused by the advanced sharers.

overall, i'm quite excited about this mod, I'm looking forward to playing the new SP campaign ! :)

• well, dunno, but few GB large modificcation for game with locked code imo is very proffesional work :).

About fights/speed: you will get used to this very fast if you will play CF longer time. SP is good preparation for MP where are PvP fights even faster and sometimes very very close fights.

Adv.shaders: yes, it can cause probs, usually depends about hardware which players use. I tried them only once and after continued without them (imo ways better).

others things can't comment (not good enough knowledge)

• @ fights 'n their difficulty

NPCs in SP are some preparation for NPCs on the server - even definitly harder there 8).
    and they are a ... faint taste of what awaits you in PvP.

Take it as a lesson in getting used to dying-respawn-dying-respawn- ....... :D

@ cursors 'n crosshairs

Take a look at the THIS STICKY .
    As you can see there are quite some options for the cursors. Nevertheless, testing them would
    ALWAYS require the complete deinstallation/reinstallation routine. :P

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

• Yeah, but it would require some .... "tempering"(naming/renaming) in the files.

What we're not supposed to do. ;)

But here is a short explanation, second last post by Cresthen/Wanderer. :D

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

Edited once, last by NucNuc: addition ().

• wow, so I guess I still have a lot of new skills to earn !
    ah, thanks ! I'll try those new crosshairs out then !
    Oh, and I was wondering, how are we supposed to download the mod ? caus from here : index.php?form=DatabaseDownload&itemID=1069
    I get 175B/s on download, which would take exactly 91 days to download the whole thing. I personally got my release from a torrent...
    And one more question, since you seem to be very attentive, how does one starts the sequel of the single player storyline ?

• To start CF campaign you need replay whole last mission .. this means you need use save before last mission started, because CF campaign is done as update for this last FL mission. You will start new missions asap when will finish last vanilla mission.

• it is good that u are prepared to start the campaign from the beginning. one thing that I would say to you is don't be in too great a hurry to go through the missions. you are only restricted to certain parts of Sirius early on, but explore first, you will be quite surprised at what you can get before going on to more missions that eventually get u out of Sirius. what was suggested to me, was, to buy the cheap freighter to use in the first two missions, they have greater firepower.

anyway enjoy and don't be afraid to come back here and ask questions, several players here will try to help.

cheers

Ray OK

• about downloading .... had sometimes also problems to get the "full" download from here
    for reasons whatsoever.

Best alternativ imo is MODDB. Never let me down - but downloading ;)

Superint_siggy_new.png

The FUULL catastrophy !

• - Uh, I find it quite annoying not to be able to pause the game and change the options while i'm in space ... but it might be better for role-play purposes I guess
    - hah, a ship exploding from 100-200 meters kills your shield, but a weapon platform exploding nearly on you, makes nothing. wierd xD

Edited 3 times, last by Sindarus: I wouldn't make a double post, jeez ! that's the reason why i'm editing my post. ().

• hah ! nice ! :p

- and humm, the "separation mechanism which removes multiplayer content from the singleplayer experience" ain't perfect. I got the server rules on my game, and I have the ability to buy licences for being policeman or rogue...
    (quote from SWAT Crossfire)

- I'd also like to report an awful behaviour of CF that I found, it happens when you fly aiming downwards or upwards : your engine trail/steam arrives just in the camera, causing the player to see a slice of the trail.
    here's a screenshot :
    photo-1572-7f3c7e9d.jpg

- ah, and I see that ships are more different from each other, that's great ! It's subtler to choose a ship now !

Edited 7 times, last by Sindarus: uh, I don't want to sound rude but it's written "optional" in this field name, so why wont you let me edit my post freely, you server ! ().