new launcher doesnt work anymore

There are 206 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Bond.

• Hi,

regarding the launcher problem i have a question. Why has the launcher windows to be fixed in size (width and height) ?
    Maybe the problem can be solved if we could resize the window? Maximizing is just a spezial kind of resizing.

Further thoughts
    It seems to me that the application is configured to open on the primary monitor.
    Additional the application tries to center itself horizontal and vertical on the monitor.

By maximizing it I notice that the window stays the same width, but the hight of the window is adjusted.

The maximizing has not the same behaivor as when you for example maximize your browsers window.
    By that i mean when you maximize a window the whole application fills the monitor, except the taskbar area.
    But the luncher just change the position to 0,0 and extends the height.

Hope these things help you to develop a fix.

Regards,
    Firewaran.

• the size is fixed due to the web interface
    it has to be that way

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Hi,

i understand that you want to have it in a specifiy size. I also can understand that this size is based on the web interface.
    What i do not understand is why you don't let us change the size. I mean you can set a defautl size of the window when the application starts.
    If we see all elements like links and buttons nobody has a reason to change the size. But for those of us that have the button-problem could
    just change it.
    Nevertheless, i dont know if the manual resize would even fix the problem or if that would just create new ones.

Would it be possible to give me a version where i could change the size of the window manually?
    I could test if this would help or not and if there are other problems because of this change.

Other problems with the launcher

• I noticed that the "settings" button does not respond when i click it. Is a bug or something for a new version thats not active yet?
    • The Serverstatus seems not to work for me.
    • When i want to activate the FXAA or SMAA then the launcher stops working "Applications is not responding"-error.
    • All "application has stop working"-errors seem to come when the pc is not fast enought at unpacking to \EXE2\-Path, but i dont know why.
      1 out of 5 times (or less) it's not working. After the games closes the EXE2 is deleted. Maybe you dont need to build the directory up each time,
      only if there are changes due to an update or change of settings?

Would be great if someone could reply and cofirm any of the points above, so i know its just me or not ;-)

Have a nice day!

Regards,
    Firewaran.

• - size changes of the launcher are not allowed as it breaks the interface style
    nothing can and will change that

- settings button should hide/show the settings including the opensp/shaders and for most users this is working

- the serverstatus is indeed not working but right now there is no need to fix it

- FXAA and SMAA are options that you actually should not have as ive removed it from the downloads weeks ago

- the exe2 path has to be created EVERYTIME, there is no other way

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Hi,

thank you for the explanations!

I realize that for many users the new launcher is working, but there are still a few people
    out there where the launcher is not working as it should.
    I will provide as many info as possible, till the launcher will work for everyone.
    If i bug you too much just let me know and i will keep my mouth shut.

I was able to resize the window without using the maximize function of windows.
    As i found out the original width/height of the launcher is 961/575 on my system.
    The maximum height that can be applied is 700, then i can see options and buttons.
    By pressing the "settings" button, the original height is applied again and it should only
    hide the settings, unfortunatly this applies for the buttons also.

The server status is not working because of the error "Could not write to the server's socket",
    you may already know this because its not working at your end, too.
    This feature is not essential, i agree with you.

How can i download the new content of the launcher without installing freelancer and crossfire again.
    Somehow it seems that i dont have the files that i should have.
    Based on the shader options i can select which are removed weeks ago.

I've uploaded a screenshot where you can see, that i see the two options.

I tried different display resolutions to find one that may display everything correct.
    On my pc i couldn't find one that was working, tried everything starting from 1024x768 till 1920x1080.

While testing with the resoulutions i catched something else.
    At the bottom of the launcher there is a gray border, it seems to me that is has the height of the buttons.
    I think it is overlapping with the buttons. Heres is a example Gallery Image

May the new information help all of us.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
    Firewaran.

• the grey border and tiled background are one of the reasons why the window should actualyl not be resized
    maximizing the launcher might work atm but actually this was never intended to happen

the launcher itself should be able to update itself, problem right now appears that other elements dont seem to be updating that well
    i will check how for i can optimize the download config without breaking the launcher functionality
    everything else probably requires a prepatch... but thats something utrack would need to decide

and while on the topic... utrack seems to have some minor login problems right now but should be back on the forum soon.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I do the same - reinstall fresh files from mod folder to FL folder - game starts without probs.

CF chars - Maxbur and derivatives
    Roleplay on server: Merc/Smuggler
    You can hire me for all sort of job: dirty and not so - but I`ll make it clean. It will cost you :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    Einstein

• Awesome! Internet explorer fix is working !!! fixed windows crash error... :)

My name is John Crichton, an astronaut. A radiation wave hit and I got
    shot through a wormhole. Now I'm lost in some distant part of the
    universe on a ship, a living ship, full of strange alien life forms.
    Help me. Listen, please. Is there anybody out there who can hear me? I'm
    being hunted by an insane military commander. Doing everything I can.
    I'm just looking for a way home.

• Not sure if the issues here have been 'fixed' yet...but I only play Single Player for now.
    So I downloaded 1.9 via the link previously given in the thread (straight from SWAT Portal downloads section).

As long as I prevent the patching process, I can play in Single Player just fine.
    Only after it patches (and I go into Freelancer, then exit) does it cause issues.

Once I let the game patch itself, I do what the instructions said with going into the game and then exiting out.
    It only works fine ONCE, but after that it refuses to work at all after that first time and will just give me an error if I try to run it again.

There's nothing in the error log that shows up. Just says
    'CFLauncher has stopped working'
    'A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program'

Then the green arrow with 'Close the program'. No details, nada.

So my testing has shown that something in the last update (the difference between what is in the downloads section on SWAT Portal and the most 'updated' version) is what has been causing the issues.
    Is there a manual patch available for those of us who keep having issues with the launcher's auto update?

Or just let me know if I can skip the update since it won't affect Single Player in any way.

EDIT: This isn't a major issue for me. I think I'll just skip whatever updates are downloading and play only Single Player anyways.

• It finally worked with the Internet Explorer fix, creating a new shortcut and starting Singleplayer about 10 times... Don't know what exactly happened, but suddenly it worked^^ :D

{LNAW}ALPHA-CENTAURI

• This may help as a temp fix until Utrack works nails down the random glitch with the launcher:

I run Win 7 w/Firefox. From the very first time the new launcher was up and running there has been a random glitch where many of us would or are getting an error window saying either that FL or the launcher has experienced a problem and stopped running/operating. Then either the error dialogue window would close by itself and the launcher window would also close, or they would remain open and the error window message would ask if I wanted to close the program. I tell it yes, the windows close, I wait a couple seconds and then click the desktop icon for FL and all starts and runs as advertised. I can figure on going through this once or twice a week, depends on how often I get a chance to log on. Once running there haven't been any other issues with the new launcher.

regards,

gearhead

Gearhead10.png

[size=10]Cooler Master HAF 912 Chassis; ASUS PRIME B660M - A WIFI D4; Intel Core i7-12700F,25MB Cache, LGA1700; Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Corsair 16GB (4x4GB 2000 MHZ DDR3); 1NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OG 12G Ti, Corsair RM 1000 PSU, Micron 256GB SSD (Win 11), WD Caviar Black HDD (640GB - Win 11 64), Samsung SyncMaster BX2440 (Digital)

The Personal World Clock

• Hello forum!

I just wanted to signal a problem I've had and, hopefully, solved. Dont know wether it happened to anybody else, but still it might be usefull to make it known.

Machine: portable pc with Xp sp2 (for the rest, let's say it is capable of making fl-cf work at minimum graphics)

So, I installed the game, the correct Flmm and then the mod, activated it selecting open Sp and finally I allowed the launcher to update. I got in the game without problems, but then came trouble: starting a new game I found myself in the Freeport 7 sector rather than in Liberty, and the sector was populated by nothing except myself and threee stars (no jump holes, no lanes, nothing). I tryed to open the inventory and the game crashed to desktop (I then had to shut it down manually too after that). When I tried relaunching the game an error appeared, the infamous 'can't intialize Gecko', and the launcher woulden't open anymore.

After many attempts (comprising reinstalling the game, the mod, flmm and the latest .net framework) I found a solution: I have to stop the launcher's update process by closing the internet connection (otherwise it wont let the Sp game start signaling there's a 'problem launching the multiplayer'); as long as I don't update the launcher, the game works. It's sad though that I can't multiplay.

Hope this helps.

Sisko

• Hello Sisko, with new launcher you don't need activate Open SP in mod flmm activation. You need only load all updates (which btw repair more probs found in the past), follow instruction in 'old' launcher, ->start MP (reach main menu) and after restart CF. From that point you can use open sp easily with tick open sp option in 'new' launcher settings.

• Thanks for the reply Martind. I had downloaded 1.9 version this winter (some months now), so maybe that's why I don't recognize any of the options you're speaking of?

Btw, looking to the comments to the mod download in ModDB I found this by Jcdenton2k -->" [...] 4 - Install the mod from this download but make sure to BLOCK the mod
    from connecting to multiplayer. There is an issue with the latest
    launcher patch that breaks it on many computers. My recommendation is
    again to prevent it from auto-updating (by blocking it from any inbound
    or outbound connections through your firewall). Then you want to make a
    full backup of the game folder and then attempt the update. If it
    breaks, then at least you can just copy/paste the backup and still play
    single player mode."

I would suppose that's my problem...

• :patsch::patsch::patsch::patsch::patsch:

Thx Althusius for info about that comment, I will look there and give little more relevant info about new CF launcher.