A few questions about Directx9

There are 25 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Gregorii.

• Hi, its my first time here on the forum but I have been playing Crossfire for several years meanwhile. Mostly in singleplayer but also had some appearances on the server about 2 years ago. I can not play much online because my internet is very slow so I will stick to the singleplayer which is great.

The reason why I registered today is because I just love this mod (there is no alternative when you want to play the singleplayer) and today I noticed some comments at Moddb.com about a DirectX9 addon for Freelancer. It was said that all Freelancer mods are going to be allowed to use it, except Crossfire.
    Why is that? I am a bit confused and don't see why they would want to "lock out" the most popular Freelancer mod.
    Why are we not allowed to play the game in Directx9?

• That was probably just a (bad) rumor, and by what I remember, Crossfire already has plans to adapt FL with Directx9.

Also there's no real way to make CF not allowed to use something that's actually public.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Well, like Huor said... they dont like us.
    It is no rumor that they disallow CF players to use the dx9 plugin, its an official statement made by the developers. Vishnu informed us about this fact just a few days ago.
    It is a decision that i can not change or influence and the CF2.0 download will not contain that dx9 plugin. I am absolutely not interested to argue over this topic with these people.
    We as team have discussed the option to build an own dx9 plugin but these plans are on ice as we would need much more support from modders and coders to do all the work in time.

To be honest, it does not even bother me that much. Huor said it... we have done some massive graphical updates to CF2.0 which should compensate the lack of the dx9 features. The last version of the dx9 plugin did not even work well with vanilla FL or mods other than FWTOW, so unless these problems get fixed for the final release (whenever that might be) the dx9 plugin will be of no use.

But probably Im wrong and the dx9 will be the best addition for FL ever.
    In that case their decision to deny CF users to play with that plugin means to deny the use of the plugin to the majority of the FL community.
    CF1.9 was released in october 2011... one year later the mod was downloaded from the official download sources (SWAT Portal, Moddb, Filefront and Strategy informer) incredible 111018 times (checked it today).
    All other major FL mods together do not reach such a high number.... infact CF is one of the very few mods which brings new players to the game and motivate old ones to return over and over again.
    A decision against CF is a decision against the Freelancer community as a whole. Thats like cutting in the own leg.
    But... it is their decision (eventhough a childish one).

Just to come back to your initial question.
    Their decision is not based on something we have done.... since infact we did no harm to them nor did we treat them unfair in any way. It is based on personal shit and different opinions.
    The only one they hurt are the FL players.

In 2013 we will start to port Freelancer to a new game engine with directx11 support. At some time we will reach the point that we will have to think under which conditions we will release this new project and to whom. Im sure we will remember this dx9 plugin decision and return the favor then.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• I think I understand but still, it is unfair. I hope you don't mind that I try to discuss this issue with the developers of that plugin.
    It can't be that so many people get punished for nothing.

There is another question. I have received a PM containing something that I don't understand.

wbb.moderationnotification.thread.move.subject
    wbb.moderationnotification.thread.move.text

What is that?

• I hardly can keep you back. Good luck with it.

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I would recommend to save your energy for more important stuff than to argue with them. I meanwhile do - it has no effect in the end. For them we are the bad evil and that wont change. And i would avoid to beg for something that in my eyes make the game not much better. Honestly i dont like their screens with the bump and heightmaps - ship surfaces have to much of distortion - some ships are looking as they are blown up from inside. (but that is my feeling, tastes are different). I know thats not all of the DX9 plugin - but probably something that most will recognize in big parts. About the other features i dont know but havent seen yet so much about it.

And just because there is a DX9 plugin wont bring that many players back to servers. Sure FWTOW will have a boost of players - but most likely a lot of STAR WARS fans. I am not yet convinced that DX9 will have the same effect for Discovery or SWWT mods (as an example).

signature.png

• lol
    I remember a time when Huor went motivated there to talk with them and settle down things.
    Now he sounds a bit like me... i guess sooner or later we all learn that lesson.

I would not worry that much. The freeworlds server has atm one player online (using the dx9 plugin)... 0.57 players averaged this year. A good mod is more than just some fancy graphics.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• .... A good mod is more than just some fancy graphics.

:):thumbup:

btw

In 2013 we will start to port Freelancer to a new game engine with directx11 support.

Do you know already which engine it will be ?
    Just ask, because of anxiety that my machine (see my spec in signature) won't be capable to play in a "proper (every goodie 'n feature activated :D )" manner.

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)

Edited once, last by NucNuc: add ().

• I'm giving up. These guys are stubborn and disgusting. They make claims and every time I prove one claim wrong they put the next lie on the table or change the topic. You can not discuss with such people and I think they would even cause damage to Freelancer if that serves their personal interests or hurt someone that they don't like. Really disgusting.

• really i have said you should save your energy... argumentations between both lead always to the same result (unfortunate). They have their MOD and we have ours. Both will have success. Even without DX9 plugin for Crossfire. We had no DX9 for nearly 10 years and imo we dont need it in the next 10 years.

I just can repeat myself: With CF 2.0 we made a big efforts to improve the graphics. And even i am impressed still to see the difference. I cannot say how much better it would look with DX9 but without it is still great. Just want to say: CF will not suffer just because we dont can make use of this plugin. In the end i would kindly avoid any weighting of this. We always were open minded and focused to say there is no better or worst. Each mod is different and its a players decision to like one or another feature - in the end all are playing Freelancer.

signature.png

• Just like I said above, everyone can make his/her own experience with them and learn that lesson in the hard way.
    Take a look at the red line in my signature. That fits very well.

If their mod will be a success or not is something i can not say. But I can promise that CF2.0 will be a major success and that every modder out there will have a very hard job trying to achieve the graphics that we already have without dx9.
    That we will have to release Crossfire 2.0 without dx9 support is actually not even correct... the download will contain 3 different dx9 injectors (not related to the one from Freeworlds) and our players can choose which look they like better.
    If we ever intent to build an own FL released dx9 inject (or better to say if we have the time for that) then we for sure can do that since I have the source code of a working injector where we can add the features that we need bit by bit.

Personally I believe that the Freeworlds team will not release anything anytime soon. They wanted to release something 2 years ago... but nothing was released..... one year ago they said that everything is finished but they don't want to release it because of the Star Wars The old Republic release... and in the end they released a pretty buggy and unfinished demo months later. I think they are far away from releasing a good and working mod and that the recent activity over there is only to the upcoming mod awards.
    -> yes we have november again and in a few weeks all this voting stuff starts again
    Best time for showing activity and doing ads.

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• well, its a valid question why CF players can not use the dx9 plugin and this question will appear over any over again once the plugin gets released

we hardly can avoid that

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• So what about just making this a "Stickie" for all to read that have questions about Dx9 plug-in and let it go at that? Your comments remain valid without having to address each inquiry.

Gearhead10.png

[size=10]Cooler Master HAF 912 Chassis; ASUS PRIME B660M - A WIFI D4; Intel Core i7-12700F,25MB Cache, LGA1700; Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; Corsair 16GB (4x4GB 2000 MHZ DDR3); 1NIVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming OG 12G Ti, Corsair RM 1000 PSU, Micron 256GB SSD (Win 11), WD Caviar Black HDD (640GB - Win 11 64), Samsung SyncMaster BX2440 (Digital)

The Personal World Clock

• Let us forget "old" DX9 and concentrate at DX11 -12 maybe ;)
    8).

A lot of people that still have a PC bought before "Windows 7" still have "Windows XP", 'cause "Windows Vista" really sucks, and they made the "downgrade" to XP.
    And XP support DirectX only up to 9.0c version.

• That's wy I asked about the next engine. (see above)

Superint_siggy_new.png

Am I a man ? I am. So - I got married. House, wife, children,everything.
    The FUULL catastrophy !

"MY MACHINE": Win 7 prof 64bit , i7 3770K , vtx HD7950 X-edition , 8 GB DDR3-2400 , Sandisk 256 ultra , 2TB Seagate, BenQ BL2710PT (2560x1440)