Discusion from Hook new features suggestions

There are 42 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Huor.

• maybe an idea to make the bases and planets only dockable for those with access? I know in discovery there are such options only clans can enter some bases who are on an enter list. so you can choose if peeps may dock at your system's bases or not. (like if bs, trains etc could dock)

• Well, on Disco what you can and can't do is based on your faction more than anything, but here everything is open to all players (if you have your rep right), and locking down a clan station would severely cut competition because all the clans that have a good ship in their stations would lock it down and not let anyone use it, giving them an unfair advantage.

"The objective of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    "As I walk through the valley of the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil because I am the baddest mother fucker in the valley"

• some things brought up here sounds pretty much like "copying from other mods into CF"

re-naming chars
    docking restrictions to certain factions
    ect.

is this CF or do you want to having the mod turned into a collection of "all the good stuff" from other existing mods" ?
    btw. you forgot to mention the feature being offered on the HHC server.
    Where people can link their player chars to their forum account and accept web-based offered missions, which are being announced on the server via console after starting it.
    This would increase the RP (imo) because ALL player online would get informed what one certain player is doing (going to kill npc's, trading xy ammount of xy from a to b, ect.) at the same time. So they can actually go for it.
    This feature I actually really like, but it is not available on CF.. so what, does the world drown because of that?

• Renaming chars is not something "some other mod" has and we would copy it, already most-MOST other mods have it, and here it was noticed such thing is needed when more than a clan got ruined because some recruited freelancers preferred to keep their advance in their original chars than giving it all up to go with others(transferring only the money and equip). Dacia is just the most obvious example as it went from 6 to 2 players, who left (the clan) pretty fast after being alone.
    People don't know, and less care if you or any of us "vets" don't need such feature and so vote against it as we had to give up stuff to change our tags, now having no need to change tags at all it's not usseful for "us", and thinking in a selfish way we would vote against it. No matter the consequences. Where in this case YES the CF world drowns.

Renaming chars option should be one of the GR commands, changes logged by the server, to be under control and avoid "havok". But such thing is needed for clans to grow, more than recruiting newbies from Sirius.

Docking restrictions to factions is not a good feature for CF, indeed we don't need such huge limitations. Yet the ASF and CSF factions are supposed to be "special" and above any other RP, and they would deserve a headquarters system, wether it's protected or not. Though being protected would be more usseful as it could have ASF or CSF specific ships and such.
    Battles where everyone pilot the same 1 or 2 ship types is not nice for the eyes... actually there could be ASF / CSF specific weaponry as well... balanced weps of course, different effects on each side, but better than the rest of the normal weapons.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Re-naming is not needed to recuit new members for any clans at all.
    Does making a new char and deleting the old one, make the player losing his memory? Does it also make him losing his "I know how to fight" part of their brains?
    Surely not. It's just the players lazyness which would require such a feature, in my opinion.
    The only things you lose when making a new (maybe clan-tagged) char is the price you payed for the ship, maybe bribes you got the "saved" locations (meaning mapping) and stats (mostly for bragging purposes)
    The rest (meaning mountable equipment) you can easily transfer to the new created char. This of course requires teamwork with other players.
    Don't make "not being able to re-name chars" sound that terrible, since people don't really lose anything.
    It's more the opposite.
    They win something. They get the great gift to have the opportunity to map the universe again. To test their memory, to take it as new challenge. Isn't that the purpose of the game anyway? (no comment on this question needed, since its more a rethorical one)

And btw. hanging around in sirius and waiting for new people to join the server, in order to make them joining a clan is not recuiting at all. Thats more like fishing for members, which are most likely leaving the clan they got convinced to join that way sooner or later anyway, for a variaty of reasons.

Anyway. I still think, we (the players) should FIRST make a use of what is given to us to play with already. Before making wishes for new stuff (no offense)
    In example: barely anyone is using the cloak system. Maybe because people are too afraid to get killed while having crystals in cargo (which would get lost of course) Or maybe because they are too lazy to get the parts which are needed. Or they are too lazy to work for the cash to afford the parts for each ship.

Thats my opinion and there is no arguing about it, or even commenting on it necessary.
    Thank you!

• Quote from Mike

People don't know, and less care if you or any of us "vets" don't need such feature and so vote against it

^^
    Why would somebody go for awards (in clans or the offered feature here) or to fight, do RP with other players if "I know how to fight" is the only thing they should care about. That way nothing will work in the server as no one would care about anything. I know how to fight and that's all I care here, kthxbye.

I prefer to think the benefits of others more than my own interests.

I saw how players couldn't join Dacia, as some of them even had like 2000 hours online, systems explored and such. Those won't join anything anytime soon. That they are wrong or not to care about their advance and time spent on those chars, it's up to them and their business, but we are putting it hard for them to join anything.

And I don't like to see such problems at clans which want to recruit and grow, clans which get disbanded, clans that are inactive, clans that don't even try to recruit ;) , and those who try, barely grow, as the first thing a recruit asks is how to save his chars/work.

Fishing newbies arround Sirius is wrong, those who are not newbies, some/many will not just throw up everything except money to join somebody, until they reach some boreness level to care less about their advance.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• Thats my opinion and there is no arguing about it, or even commenting on it necessary.

Still, I will comment a bit, please take my apologies in advance.

The priorities for most players are quite different from how you placed them. Many players don't really care about the ship cost or equipment (I saw live examples), but mapping and statistics are critical for them. While the latter is optional and completely personal, mapping is painful for almost everyone.

People who hate exploration and take it as time wasting just don't want to lose the same time once more.

On the contrary, eager explorers who spend several hours per system, traversing it in all directions and mapping each and every station, planet, nebula, asteroid field, weapon platform, satellite, miner, storage depot and all other possible things up to trespassing comets, are very concerned about their maps, and when the exploration is over and they begin actually playing for pleasure, they become not only unwilling to lose their maps, but also unwilling to explore everything again because they remember how much time and effort it had taken before, and now they have another things to do on the server (being in a clan is usually more demanding then freelancing).

The last is exactly my case... It's already a month since I entered IOC and I still can't make myself even start that epic work of exploration again. Of course it's not really convenient to find one's way in space either by memory or by the old screened maps, but it's still a weak argument against the idea that even if I try, I'll never explore it so completely and thoroughly as I did before. This makes me feel hopeless, and maybe not only me.

All written above is just an opinion.

• ridiculous :)

Huor: I would not invest any time in trying to make new stuff, before the people dont make a sensefull use of whats possible already.
    It's simply not worth it right now, is it.
    The banking and cloaking option are very good features added already.

And if there are too many commands to use for people, they will start complaining when they get shot, because they were typing something, while the bad boy shot them.. rofl
    People are confused right now already. :D:D

@Cresthen:
    No reason to appologize :)

But tell me, whats the purpose to play when people don't like mapping or hate to explore at all?
    Hanging out in Arena all the time?
    or the worse case, starting to complain that there is nothing to do because no one wants to fight or pvp, but they hate exploring and dont want to rp at all?
    Just wondering.

Yes exploring everything on every char, can be a pain in the ass. :) But hey. thats the meaning of Freelancer, isnt it?
    If they just want to shoot others, they can play BF or CoD that pushes their egos in a better way and they can play "hero" AAAND. the stats (frags) are published in the internet automaticly ;)

• While they keep only their "I know how to fight" after changing tags, and their money, the only thing money and "I know how to fight" serves is to hang out in Arena. Which is not good.

If one can't even finish exploring it all and gets recruited, why to try again when probably he'll have to change tags/nams again and anyway throw it all on the window. Just hang out in Arena. If they finish it, even worse starting from 0, as Cresthen said.

Huor: You see in other people's posts above, and mine, the pros of renaming command for GRs (not for everyone to avoid havok). And the contras of that feature, are in Abras's post alone. You'll see wether it's worth or not, but what I see is that this topic keeps coming again and again, and in all time, only vets had something against it, in difference of everyone else.

• Actually a rename command with limits could be good, sometimes you screw up your char name and find out about it much later. For example my char [UR]Juggernought was supposed to be [UR]Juggernaut. I realized about 3 months later... :(

sigsuy.png
    [headline][/headline]
    Need to repair a battleship in Inner Core? Contact me for free repairs!

Crossfire Film Union --> CrossfireFilmUnion

My YouTube --> VishnuCF

• Yes Michael, Im the only one being against. Oh no wait.. I simply dare to tell things viewed from another perspective. But then, wait again.... thats bad too. No one should dare to be against anything.. rofl

rediculous.

Me the bad one .. being against everything others want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want want . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• Vishnu: I just noticed that O.o (as a mistake).

@Abras, I didn't put any adjective like "bad" at your words, I just had a different opinion.

• abras vs michael
    place your bets!

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• If you want to avoid the arguings , just keep deleting the unnecessary spam and keep the actual posts that are related to this topic.

just sayin

• now thats a full time job

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• OffTopic
    i bet on Abras, cause he is german :diablo: 

{ Lonewolf(reborn)MkII / (KoH / Dr.AS. / Mr.) Ridley / Volition (godlike) / Lt.Col.John_Sheppard / BS-Project_L20εα }

• now thats a full time job

Yep and it's also the only way to get rid of any spam.

If someone has a problem with something , the PM is the way to sort it out. Everybody in here knows this.

• abras vs michael
    place your bets!

My Money on Abra's :D

*hic* Wheres me rum, LP is returning, we will return, and we will fight to the death. Want to join LP, contact us at http://lostprophets.forumup.org/

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

The king and his men stole the queen from her bed
    and bound her in her bones
    The seas be ours and by the powers
    Where we will, we'll roam
    Yo, ho, haul together,
    hoist the colors high
    heave ho, thieves and beggars,
    never shall we die
    Some men have died and some are alive
    And others sail on the sea
    With the keys to the cage and the Devil to pay
    We lay to Fiddler's Green!

• OP's plan to distract everyone's attention away from this topic worked.

No more extra work for the devs :D

OP just leveled up on off topic bringer skills.