Inertia

There are 69 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by SWAT_OP-R8R.

• Since this mod is out for a few weeks meanwhile and ppl could test it... a question that i was unsure of.

The introduction of interatia for sure brought the game to more realism.
    But is it too heavy?

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Dunno about interatia but i am not sure about inertia and realism. If there would really be ships flying like its possible in space sim games i am pretty sure menkind would have invested something that would lower the effect of inertia.

Engine kill is just like its supposed to be. The ship moves into the direction that last impule has been given to. But a break is actually not just switch off the engines - because thats engine kill for - its actually accelerating into the opposite direction and with that should lower the effect of drifting like it is currently the case. That also implies moving in circles. A modern space ship would be capable of avoiding drifting away - it would be horrible for pilots to control and doing safe transports with the heavy side effect of inertia...

signature.png

• I support Huor for this one.

And it's heavy for me(at least). The last time I fought against the nomads in Styx , when I did an Engine Kill and then wanted to avoid their fire, I couldn't. After the Engine Kill , I hited the thruster but I couldn't move and my cargo space was empty(in a Predator ship).

• I dont think its too heavy.
    We just needed/need to get used to it.
    Mass needs a while to gain speed and also to slow down - therefor things are more real yet
    We want a ship which is very agile? means we have to deal with cuts on the other hand (weight, strenght ect.)
    Same way the other direction. We want more strenght? so we have to deal with a slower moving/turning vessel.
    Now pilots have to practise again to gain skills in maneuver their vessel accordingly.
    And this should be possible for all pilots out there.

We can not expect having a uber-agile vessel which is also heavily armored and can stand almost every attack.

The only thing I dislike a bit, is the crystal field in Venn (entering from Inner Core)
    As well as the NPC's (Dervon, Inner Core) seem to be "stronger" (aiming more precisly) now. But Im not sure if I'm mistaken on that one.
    The BS's seem to be too weak for their purchasing prices.
    eg. Celestria Battleship cost 140.000.000 and gets the shield taken down in less then 20 seconds by 3 lvl4 NPC's

• I think inertia is a bit heavy.
    Engine kills get "killed" (nulified) to fast, while the NPC's still seem to more like before. Its pretty hard to outmanouver any NPC like this. (and aliens in inner core are just crazy now, haha)
    And the drifting effect is little annoying -> Saracens stops like the Soulforge train before :D

I would suggest lowering the inertia by 50-40%, and then test it again.

P.S. (i dont think this has smth to do with inertia) what AbrasDevil said, about the crystal field when you enter Venn.. it would be great to make the asteroids visible from a little bit further away, because getting out of that field is like hell ... and if you are "lucky" enough to encounter aliens in that field .. you'll die for sure cuz you can fight in there

• i do totally agree with Abras in all points. actually i dont have anything to add lol, the immediate-stop while doing EK is referable to the Armor-cl10 and can be avoided with some WR. and also the pinball-effect in Venn may be funny for the first time, but is actually very annoying while getting out of the field.
    and yes, now you need skillz to become a successful pilot and there is no "THE BEST"-ship anymore i guess (as sometimes i got asked ingame - yea im famous.)

{ Lonewolf(reborn)MkII / (KoH / Dr.AS. / Mr.) Ridley / Volition (godlike) / Lt.Col.John_Sheppard / BS-Project_L20εα }

• yes abras is right. the crystal field is a nightmare to pass by. i also think inferno have a good point by trying decrease a lite the inercia, some ships look like flying bricks

• I tested more times fly/fight with armor upgrade, without it and also with weight reducer.

My experience:
    without AU (+using WR) you have chance run from combat and use some hit/run strategies. But you have troubles dock at station or gates/holes due drifting. Yes its matter of experience but maybe too strong. Trying fight with advanced NPCs or in group PvP well .. not much usable imho.

with AU: you can forget about escaping, but with proper evading and good aim you have good chances in all form of combats. I think it is better now also bcs combat is now not about speed but about skills.

I have little problem undersand why if I use engine kill it is so significantly different with or without AU (and you can have AU1 or 10). In space have mass in real I think little different effect. I thought it work: Is harder accelerate or break or change direction (understand is need more time or more power), but if you have speed and switch off engines then mass have in space not so big efect on speed.

Note: all red asteroid fields are true pain to fly through. It will be not big problem if there is other way.

• Well, after testing a lot while fighting against NPCs , I think these new movements are awesome , because imagine yourself in the RL fighting against 10-15 people(for example). Those new moves brings you much and much closer to the reality and that what it makes it perfect. Everyone will just have to get used to it , including me of course. That also brings the possibility of purchasing lower classes of Armor or just to replace the whole armor with the Weight Reducer as well.

Crossfire has always been a mod for great fighters and now those new improvements are a great asset to that opportunity.

PS: And that's what I am trying to do now Cro, just docked on the station for the WR and will do some tests with it.

• Hi
    If you have the L10 armor upgrade and you use Engine Kill on a VHF then it's like using reverse thrust, the slowdown is far to quick and it's not realistic. In fact it should be the other way around.
    The more mass means you need more energy to speed up or slow down.
    Example acceleration times and stopping distance in a car with just a driver, verses a car with 5 people and a boot full of suitcases. Your need an extra 2 car lengths at least to stop under heavy breaking.

In game Characters Molasar,Rasalom, Lestat, Sal_Roma & Crookey 8)

• Hi
    If you have the L10 armor upgrade and you use Engine Kill on a VHF then it's like using reverse thrust, the slowdown is far to quick and it's not realistic. In fact it should be the other way around.
    The more mass means you need more energy to speed up or slow down.
    Example acceleration times and stopping distance in a car with just a driver, verses a car with 5 people and a boot full of suitcases. Your need an extra 2 car lengths at least to stop under heavy breaking.

which on the other hand, would make your "sliding/drifting" way worse.
    So be careful what you wish for ;)

• ZZZ

Edited once, last by =Alexxassa Rubio= ().

• I would agree that the crystal field in Venn is abit of a pain, Fly 2k away and end up bouncing right back to the jump hole. Also fighting NPCs in that field is a hand full, and makes thing really interesting.

On the subject of Inertia I personly find that it is set just fine for NPC fighting, I am not sure yet for PvPing.

We can't really expect to have everything to be totally realistic, and I personally like the way things are.

All Characters are Licensed Police Officers:

Katertrak_Jack (flying a BS)
    Laws_Brann (testing different ships for IC hunting)
    Junker_Clunker (Mission char for good cach fast)
    Cargo_Brann (Transporter of lawful cargo)
    Katatonic[ASF] (ASF business only and afew events if other char can't make it)

See You In Space Soon :)

• The BS's seem to be too weak for their purchasing prices.
    eg. Celestria Battleship cost 140.000.000 and gets the shield taken down in less then 20 seconds by 3 lvl4 NPC's

- yes indeed i tested it earlier with Abras, i shot a few times on him and in less than 5sec his shields where down. i think thats a bit too weak for the dreadnought-class. i suggest bit more stronger shields, sth like the BS from ASF/CSF have.

{ Lonewolf(reborn)MkII / (KoH / Dr.AS. / Mr.) Ridley / Volition (godlike) / Lt.Col.John_Sheppard / BS-Project_L20εα }

• IInertia give completely new sense in CF flying. For now is OK.
    The only and big complaint is on train. Simply not for game, too difficult and too boring to fly. In 1.82 train is hard to fly but not to hard and no to boring ... in 1.9 train is totally useless.

Cya in space ppl.

• @ALL: please stay on topic. New suggestions (shields etc.) might be better send via Ticketsystem. That way is also much bigger chance, if is there sufficient justification, for accepting suggestion. Thx.

• I found something out interesting the other day in Ryssk. It seems that an Eagle with a class 1 WR is far better in combat against the NPC's in the IC then a lagg with out an AU or WR. Even when the lagg has all War-sy.

Also I would like to see more WR's, perhaps. I mostly like the weight of everything even though it annoys me sometimes.

• Hi
    In answer to your question OP "is inertia to heavy" yes I personally think it is to heavy,I used to fly a Redemption in 1.82 and after really looking forward to 1.9 I was amazed at how the handling of the Redemption
    had changed,it was like a different ship..no more fast turns which I found dissapointing.
    I thought 1.82 was great and had got used to the ships handling for about a year and I had an adequate fighting style but now its all changed so much its like trying to learn to fly all over again and the Inner Core
    is now so much harder what with the bouncing around in Venn,my only option is to run to Weth cos if I meet any Doms in there Im toast and its back to Omega 3 which can get tedious,so for my part please
    change the inertia back to how it was in 1.82 or at least reduce it a bit.By the way the graphics improvements are really very good and the increase in mission payments as well.
    Cheers
    Vardek

Vardek