Beta testing

There are 17 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by {LP}Knightshade{X}.

• No I am not announcing that we start right now with that.

Actually I want to use this thread to prepare the community for that bit by bit.

The Crossfire 1.9 beta testing will be done .... of course when the mod is ready.
    It will last for one week. This time period is being used to do the final balancing and testing of the mod. Mostly stability tests actually.

3 beta testers will be needed for the singleplayer.
    Tests require to check if the OpenSP is working correctly -> this would not take long
    Main objective of the singleplayer beta is to test the original FL storyline and the CF storyline. One week is not much time. So only Beta testers will be accepted which can do that job.
    Next to that I will also only accept testers that are able to actually name errors in a way that I can find and reproduce them. -> some technical understanding and knowledge about the original story would be needed

2nd part of the beta is the online test (this part will run at the same time as the singleplayer tests)
    In total 10 testers will be choosen. Members of the mod team prefered.
    It is intended to let a Crossfire 1.9 server running next to the 1.82 server (if possible).
    The release Beta version will be compatible only with that specific environment and not with the final server. So every tester has to download the mod again even if the Beta version is bug free. That brings me to the next requirement. Fast internet connection.
    We are short on time with the testing. It doesnt help if the testers need 3 days to download the mod.
    And of course the testers should have enough time to actually test the mod.

It is not much required to test specific parts of the mod in multiplayer. It is most important to test normal gameplay and the stability.

I assume that we can start testing the mod in about a month. I make no promises as there is still much to do for me and for the flhook coders. We were thrown back with our development by the recent updates to the RP features.
    More information will be released on this thread when available.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• Wow that sounds great!! So will the testers be hand picked, or will there be a draw or something? Just curious :P I thank you for the work you have been putting in CF 1.9 its really fantastic :D

[box=yellow]A Proud Member of the Lost Prophets Pirate Clan![/box]

[box=blue]Also Proud Leader of the CSF Faction![/box]

{LP} is recruiting! Please visit here for more details!

Arrrrrrrrrrrr Maty!

• we see who is available at that time and from those we choose

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• we see who is available at that time and from those we choose

Alrighty, That seems simple enough, thanks :D

[box=yellow]A Proud Member of the Lost Prophets Pirate Clan![/box]

[box=blue]Also Proud Leader of the CSF Faction![/box]

{LP} is recruiting! Please visit here for more details!

Arrrrrrrrrrrr Maty!

• I would recommend we are doing two tests. Lets make one alpha test to find the major glitches (no there are not such big boobs :)), looking for server integrity and other bugs. That shall take up half a week for example. Then based on what was found we also need some time to do the fixes. After the alpha test and lets say another week later we could start of thinking doing the beta tests with a wider range of people.

Just saying - we should not be so sparingly with testing time. Testing is essential. Maybe we even can do a closed beta with some chosen folks, and later on an open beta with a wider range of people - looking for server performance and integrity during some battles and fights...

signature.png

• i dont want to do an open beta
    if we do we have no guarantee that the testers dont mess up something with their installation
    next to that it unlikely to get good feedback from a large group of people ... imagine you have to ask 30 players for what they did right before the server crashes
    that clearly would slow down the fixing

no, a closed beta and an internal alpha done by some of the developers is more than enough

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• Signing up for the BETA testing :D

I can download the mod in 1 hour (v1.82 size) so good for me in MP and i got much time for testing the SP part too... I just can't test the graphics cause my PC sucks at that! If you wish to get a Ship tester, i'd be willing to buy every one of the new or reworked ones for balance checks. Provided you give me a 500M check to buy any equip and max-out the new capships...

i'd also be willing to test transition of chars from 1.82 to 1.9 and see if the account remains uncorrupted and all ships/equip remains there (copy my current 1.82 account files to the 1.9 Beta server). :thumbup:

• can my dad do it because he dont play FL no more he will play SP on CF 1.9

remember he use to be top fighter
    best smuggler and one of top Explorer :) so he would complete it in a week

Lost But Never Forgotten The Angels have got you in a better Place now Dad !
    - R.I.P. Angmar Witch-king 1955-2012 -

• I can test out the low-graphics settings and stuff, if needed (GeForce 5700 with 256 RAM).

|DP|Shock · |DP|Shockwave · |DP|Skyfall · |DP|Red.Dwarf

• Well, you may know my stuff as it's not the first time you hear it, but to be sure.

To download 5 GB, nearly 2 hours ( Arrow must be downloading at 1.5Mb/sec ! uhh)

2 different PC styles, one tower model with XP OS, and the portable(with more graphich capacity) with Vista OS, can be using them both even together at any hour.
    Mainly low card compatibility option for the Table PC(Asus Ati Radeon A9250) , and normal mode for the Portable.

In summer vacation-> time.

Full and detailed knowledge about the original SP story and CF itself ofc... enough to give detailed info over damaged or bugged file in SP mode.

Bad part: Possible loss of connection at certain moments of the day, when modem heats up,5 mins is enough to come back with a cooled modem.

that's all

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

Edited once, last by Michael ().

• Bad part: Possible loss of connection at certain moments of the day, when modem heats up,5 mins is enough to come back with a cooled modem.

that's all

Place your modem inside a fridge then > overheating on very rare occasions ;)

I could offer my setup as well.
    Broadband connection (Cable 26MBit DL) with no interruption (apx ping 25-35 in-game)
    nVidia GForce GTS 450
    OS Windows 7 Professional (original) 32bit version
    Windows XP Professional SP3
    both running on two separate partitions each one has FL installed
    1.5TB HD available

Laptop setup is less popular but still functional.
    could be used for low-performance tests

I could also offer one of my ID's to test the functionality of the char-transfer (like on Arrow's post)

• Yes I could also offer one of my IDs for it... of course.

Well, it happens when it's on all day in a summer day at 10 minutes from a beach(humidity)...

I don't have enough cable to put it in the fridge lol :P

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• just get a small portable fridge and stuff the modem in there.

I've seen people do that already, especially when they are in hot climate areas.

• okay :huh: so were not kidding about that fridge... 8|

I thought that a portable A/C unit would give you and your modem some cool air.... ofc it's not as cheap as a mini-fridge... :rolleyes:

• okay :huh: so were not kidding about that fridge... 8|

I thought that a portable A/C unit would give you and your modem some cool air.... ofc it's not as cheap as a mini-fridge... :rolleyes:

do you have any idea how crazy people act when they want something getting to work? and it actually works.
    Since I intent to switch living places, I have that option of a mini fridge in mind as well :)
    having about 100+ Fahrenheit and running the A/C all the time is not that funny. so the fridge might be a good alternative to it :) will see how it actually works out

• alrighty !

Attention: Irony
    WARNING (for those who'd be too stupid to think before acting) : do not cool your modem with ice cubes because they'll melt : "modem + water = FAIL!"

Now this is settled, back on topic : do we have a more precise prediction for the beta release ?

• i had to stop and read all of this, im in the process of moving, then needing to build a new pc, the lappy died xD, hope to see you all soon....

*hic* Wheres me rum, LP is returning, we will return, and we will fight to the death. Want to join LP, contact us at http://lostprophets.forumup.org/

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

The king and his men stole the queen from her bed
    and bound her in her bones
    The seas be ours and by the powers
    Where we will, we'll roam
    Yo, ho, haul together,
    hoist the colors high
    heave ho, thieves and beggars,
    never shall we die
    Some men have died and some are alive
    And others sail on the sea
    With the keys to the cage and the Devil to pay
    We lay to Fiddler's Green!