Welcome Messages...

There are 20 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by /V\ichael.

• I find the idea not bad. But it would be better if the damn Bot would be removed and if the SWAT Team welcomes why must the bot wish much fun. It would be more personal if either the Admin would be placed there or the SWAT Staff (if that is possible). I mean i fear on one side that this forum will soon be flooded with empty welcome messages that are impersonal at all and barely users will post in those thread. The better would be (maybe) to leave the first info about where to find the first few important links (about rules, interesting forum features, FAQs etc.pp.)...

Just my impression

signature.png

• the idea with the bot is horrible and annoying

and since when is it a tradition to welcome every single person on this portal? do you want more than 5 threads everyday all entitled 'OH HERRO WERCOME XXXXXXX' ?

also I concur with Huor

Fleet Captain Spiky / WL

• Instead of making a new thread for each new member, the bot could make a new post in the same thread for each new member... so no Threads flood or we'll have 50 pages with them soon.

The Bot could have a human name, or, "Forum Manager" and the welcome message be more complex ^^

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• The bot can only open one thread for a message. And yes the messages could and should be changed... Ive just set up that feature but about 20% of the plugins have not fully been configured as there are a few thousand options on the Admin panel meanwhile. It requires much time to do the fine tuning.

To take away your worries... the forum is able to remove those threads after a specific time if no reply has been done. I just need to do the settings for that feature.... someday.

signew.jpg

cfmoddblogo.png5904.png5904.png
    http://www.moddb.com/scripts/topsite.php?ts=4766

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
    Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

This is ten percent luck,
    Twenty percent skill,
    Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,
    And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

• No worries here, cause i am able to ignore those threads.

Click the image above to visit us.

• sounds like you need more forum techs. where do i sign up?

not forum admin, forum tech. meaning i would get to go in and set up all the things OP wants (such as the aforementioned ideas)...

hell i got time...

• This thread is old and the welcome posts are gone..., no longer a problem, so the topic is over.

Chars: [CFPD]Michael~something (x25), [CFPD]~SQMS~{[(store)]} (x3), [CFPD]xfer, Event~Manager~Michael, StarfIier~EM~Michael, Event_Team_2, [GR]Michael[SP] and a blueprint of [CFPD]Sephirothis

• indeed
    new members get a welcome message instead
    problem with welcome threads was that they spammed the forum pretty much and appeared on the search
    problem with one welcome thread and several welcome posts in there is that it might end in pure chaos when everybody replies there while new welcome messages appear

signew.jpg

Don't discuss with idiots. They only drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience there.

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• I registered when welcome threads were still active. Are welcome messages coming from the same bot?

• the bot is the same, yes

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• That's good, just wanted to say that SWAT Portal is a sci-fi place, no wonder that it has a robot as a receptionist.

It would be great to make a custom character out of a forum bot, something like "SWAT Protocol Droid", so that our newcomers could feel the atmosphere from the very beginning.

P.S. And for sure it would need something more decent / less recognizable on its avatar...

• The name change is a good idea.
    That bot's white avatar kinda fitts this portal, but well, there are other options that with a bit of image editing (for the background) they would look great:

Dark tiny modern bot:

White tiny modern bot(similar to ours):

Or maybe a more intimidating one:

Normal looking one(but detailed):

Or a sexier one (lol jk):

Or our old little fella:

• you really suggest a HK droid (HK47)?

just giving a hint: the letters in the names stand for their programming
    R2D2 = Repair Droid
    C3P0 = Communication and Protocol Droid
    HK47 = Hunter Killer

I think marvin is a good choice... giving a sad welcome "Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and they ask me to take you to the bridge. Call that job satisfaction, 'cause I don't."

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• (intimidating)

That was my warning about this droid... But looks like I'm not the only KOTOR fan here :) This HK was one of my favourite party members, his "unbiased" remarks in dialogues were making lots of fun.

I personally don't like Marvin and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy in whole, but maybe most people do... :( Anyway, your decision is final. I just wanted to bring in the idea of SWAT's own character.

• Query: should a killer droid really "welcome" our new members? or doesn't they get a depression either when marvin do so?

Statement: 42.

(have you read it in HK-47's voice?^^)

{ Lonewolf(reborn)MkII / (KoH / Dr.AS. / Mr.) Ridley / Volition (godlike) / Lt.Col.John_Sheppard / BS-Project_L20εα }

• well... so now imagine to have a HK droid here

just quoting:
    "Can I break his neck now, master? Just a little? It's been a long time fantasy of mine..."

"I am most eager to engage in some unadulterated violence"

"Explanation: Its just that... you have all these squishy parts, master. And all that water. How the constant sloshing doesnt drive you mad, I have no idea..."

"Explanation: two per cent probability that the miniature organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted. That may be wishful thinking on my part, master."

"Query: Is there someone that you need killed, master?"

"Statement: HK-47 is ready to serve, master. Observation: Notice that I did not ask if you need anyone killed. You may be curious as to why. Answer: That is because you told me to stop asking if you needed anyone killed. So I have. From now on, I will simply say, "I am ready to serve." Yes, ready to serve. In whatever way a common protocol or utility droid might serve. It seems that is my lot in life. Not to kill."

"Observation: I am a droid, master, with programming. Even if I did not enjoy killing, I would have no choice. Thankfully, I enjoy it very much."

"Answer: Assassination protocols? As in the premeditated killing of another for personal or economic gain? Surely master is joking with his humble, peace-loving droid. I exist only to serve and learn how to serve meatbags."

"Recitation: Yes, as I said, I am an assassin droid. It is my primary function to burn holes through meatbags that you wish removed from the galaxy... Master. Oh, how I hate that term."

"Answer: Oh, that is impossible, master. If I were out to kill you we would not be speaking."

"Statement: Oh, do shut up, you beeping little trash compactor."

"There is a faction of meatbags called the Sith. They want what any rational meatbag would want - the power to assassinate anyone they choose at any time."

"Expletive: Damn it, master, I am an assassination droid... not a dictionary!"

"Commentary: How would you like to be the wholly-owned servant to an organic meatbag? Its demeaning! If, uh, you werent one yourself, I mean..."

"Advisory: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blaster warms up, meatbag."

"Objection: I am not a problem, meatbag. You and your lack of any organized repair skills are a problem."

"Commentary: The meatbag speaks without clarity. Detail your involvement or the master will splatter your organs all over the floor."

"Suggestion: Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?"

"Retraction: Did I say that out loud? While it is true you are a meatbag, I should refrain from addressing you as such."

"Statement: I have already learned a great deal, master, and I am anxious to learn more of lying, betrayal, and new ways to harm innocents."

"Statement: Just a simple droid, here, ma'am. Nothing to see. Move along."

"As you say Master. Would you prefer me to call you something else? Perhaps liquidous fleshbag?"

"I think he is making fun of you, Master. Shall I proceed with wasting the Meatbag?"

"And while I find this small droid annoying in the extreme, I find my urge to shoot you takes a higher priority."

"You are a very harsh master, master. I like you."

.... with other words... a lovely guy... i like him ;)

signew.jpg

Twenty percent skill,
    Five percent pleasure,
    Fifty percent pain,

• ROFL! :D :D :D